THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 10:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh, Sven ...  (Read 99064 times)

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
Re: Oh, Sven ...
« Reply #150 on: 15 Feb 2009, 00:16 »

It is perfectly normal fir a man his age to get smashed and insert his alcohol bottles into the soaps opera his life has become.

*looks around nervously*
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly." Donald Rumsfeld

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #151 on: 16 Feb 2009, 09:21 »

who the fuck is martin
Its the more common way of spelling Marten.GAH I'm such a bad person for not obsessing over fictional characters name spelling. Let me get my pen and paper so I can write their names over and over and over for eternity because its soo fucking important.

You don't have to obsess over it or play the martyr and call yourself a bad person.  You could just pay a little more attention to how people's names are spelled.  The fact that they're fictional is irrelevant.  Spelling someone's name wrong shows that you don't give a shit about them, so why should anyone give a shit about what you have to say about them?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

spinyhedgehog

« Reply #152 on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:20 »

sigh

For Jeph: Sorry.  You created the comic and went public.  The djinni is out of the bottle.  You are now stuck with us, all of us.  From the snarky, pain in the ass indie music lovers to the cranky old guys, from the near obessive 'net stalker types who sends you 20+ emails a week with ideas for the comic to the people who horribly mis-interpret EVERY thing you say and do.  We're here and we won't go away.

Agreed. It's a simple rule I apply to freshman who get angry during debates: If you can't handle it then you may need to know when to leave. A forum is a place of opinion and if you are going to react poorly then maybe you should go back to not frequenting the forums. Or delete them. Whichever.

I just am unwilling to see it end on the note of you saying me being wrong is somehow fact. I'm just stubborn, I guess. Can we agree to disagree?

Because this is the internet, no.  No one can ever agree to disagree. 

XKCD agrees: http://xkcd.com/386/

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #153 on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:37 »

i think that you are thinking about this in the wrong way. i have said this before, i think.... these forums are like jeph's house. jeph's house on the internet for imaginary friends. he has invited you over and you are free to mingle with the other guests, but always keep in mind that it is his house. you cannot ask him to leave, and i do not think it is a good idea to recommend that he leave. he can make you leave, though.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #154 on: 16 Feb 2009, 13:16 »

Really? Why do folks here assume that Marten and Faye are destined to be the hottest shit ever?
Beats the hell out of me. Kind of like Faye used to do Marten. Until "the Talk" I vacillated between wanting Faye and Marten together to wanting Faye to be run over by a truck for being a abusive wretch. I cheered for Marten when Dora 'stole' him. (no, I DON'T really think Dora stole anything). And I cheered Faye for being honest. Which is why I think she deserves honesty from Sven, too.

For Jeph: Sorry.  You created the comic and went public.  The djinni is out of the bottle.  You are now stuck with us, all of us.  From the snarky, pain in the ass indie music lovers to the cranky old guys, from the near obsessive 'net stalker types who sends you 20+ emails a week with ideas for the comic to the people who horribly mis-interpret EVERY thing you say and do.  We're here and we won't go away.
Nope. We're here forever and ever and Ever and EVer and EVEr and EVER.... Mwahahahaha!*
And, Bartender, I resent being called old. I'm _ _ _ years young! Now where's that Old Grand Dad? er, Old Crow? Ah, hell, gimme a beer.

*Yes, yes, I know I can be kicked  out of these forums. But I'll still be out there, somewhere... wouldn't you rather keep an eye on me?
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2009, 13:21 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #155 on: 16 Feb 2009, 13:25 »

Of course  you're not old; after all, I'm not...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #156 on: 16 Feb 2009, 14:07 »

We will NOT discuss this being old crap.  You hear me?  And get off my lawn! 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #157 on: 16 Feb 2009, 14:36 »

I think one day jeph will just close the whole forum so then an unofficial fanforum will get set up which jeph will completly ignore until curiosity gets the better of him and it all ends up in a hideous lawsuit with him trying to put an injunction on the unofficial site.

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #158 on: 16 Feb 2009, 19:27 »

who the fuck is martin
Its the more common way of spelling Marten.GAH I'm such a bad person for not obsessing over fictional characters name spelling. Let me get my pen and paper so I can write their names over and over and over for eternity because its soo fucking important.

You don't have to obsess over it or play the martyr and call yourself a bad person.  You could just pay a little more attention to how people's names are spelled.  The fact that they're fictional is irrelevant.  Spelling someone's name wrong shows that you don't give a shit about them, so why should anyone give a shit about what you have to say about them?

:roll:

I never realized this was like...a college class or a newspaper article. I'll have to pay more attention when I spell martin's name next time. I wouldn't want to HURT HIS DAMNED FEELINGS!  :angel:
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly." Donald Rumsfeld

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #159 on: 16 Feb 2009, 21:48 »

who the fuck is martin

I never realized this was like...a college class or a newspaper article. I'll have to pay more attention when I spell martin's name next time. I wouldn't want to HURT HIS DAMNED FEELINGS!  :angel:

Dear that entire quote tunnel:

You suck.

<3,

me

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #160 on: 16 Feb 2009, 21:58 »

dear me,

yes. :laugh:

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #161 on: 16 Feb 2009, 21:58 »

For the record, the "sigh" was me finally getting fed up with zerodrone/Jackie Blue and banning him.

The REASON I banned him is not that he is unhappy with the comic, or that he had criticism. It was that he had the sheer GALL to assume that he knew my motivations, state of mind, and feeling towards my own work. He put words in my mouth, he was a condescending prick, he's done it before and been warned, and I got sick of it, so he's gone.

This is MY website. I am literally spending MY hard-earned money so that YOU people have this place. If you don't respect that you WILL be gone.

I see no reason to tolerate the presence of those I find tiresome.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
« Reply #162 on: 16 Feb 2009, 22:00 »

Right on Jeph, I can respect that. I always kinda thought that guy was a bit of an attention whore myself. Nice job on the comic tonight.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #163 on: 16 Feb 2009, 22:04 »

For the record, the "sigh" was me finally getting fed up with zerodrone/Jackie Blue and banning him.

The REASON I banned him is not that he is unhappy with the comic, or that he had criticism. It was that he had the sheer GALL to assume that he knew my motivations, state of mind, and feeling towards my own work. He put words in my mouth, he was a condescending prick, he's done it before and been warned, and I got sick of it, so he's gone.

This is MY website. I am literally spending MY hard-earned money so that YOU people have this place. If you don't respect that you WILL be gone.

Man that was a great big can of whoop ass! Go you!

Masterbainter

• FIGHT YOU
  • those times...
« Reply #164 on: 17 Feb 2009, 01:30 »

I think i'll go home and rethink my life.

But was there some point to this thread because I totally lost it?
Hey guys let me tell you about my intercourses.

My intercourses, let me tell you about them.

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #165 on: 17 Feb 2009, 03:38 »

I think i'll go home and rethink my life.

But was there some point to this thread because I totally lost it?
It says "Sven" in the title so perhaps we were talking about Swans and someone just made a typo?
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

Masterbainter

• FIGHT YOU
  • those times...
« Reply #166 on: 17 Feb 2009, 04:00 »

Actually it appears it started out as someone requesting more comics of Steve instead of ones involving Sven.

My questions it now this, because I've seen this talked about a bit before with more comic request of steve.  I've read through the entire comic series and can't seem to figure out what the steve-crush is all about.  I must be missing something.
Hey guys let me tell you about my intercourses.

My intercourses, let me tell you about them.

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #167 on: 17 Feb 2009, 05:50 »

The REASON I banned him is not that he is unhappy with the comic, or that he had criticism. It was that he had the sheer GALL to assume that he knew my motivations, state of mind, and feeling towards my own work.

As I recall, he spoke of your _audience_, and you said "You don't know who my audience is." Your audience (as opposed to terms like "intended audience", "target audience", etc) is not something that has anything to do with your motivations, state of mind, and feeling towards your own work. Your audience is the people who actually read your comic. He also said you were pandering to a particular subset of that audience. Now, I can see how this could be offensive. But the minute you insist on saying some forms of criticism are not valid or are not permitted, this forum is not a venue for serious criticism. And, hey, maybe you don't want it to be; that's your call. I do think it's a bit ridiculous to say he wasn't banned for having criticism - I suppose that was true in the technical sense: he wasn't banned for _having_ a view about the comic, see, he was banned for what that view was.

I'm not sure you know who your audience is either; you seemed to think (this is my interpretation of what you said in the newspost) reactions would be split in the recent Marten/Dora fight.

viatriphop

• Emoticontraindication
  • ~ wah wha wha
    • ~~~
« Reply #168 on: 17 Feb 2009, 06:16 »

who the fuck is martin

"play the martyr " that seriously made me laugh out loud. Haven't you heard of sarcasm?  Get a sense of humor please!
Also I doubt I would hurt the QC cast's feelings because I spelt their name wrong but that would be amusing if it ended up in a one of the next strips.[see my quickly done not so great example but whatever ]
[img width= height=]http://i44.tinypic.com/72zyn7.jpg[/img]
"SORRY fAY AND sW3N!! :'("

~~~~~

viatriphop

• Emoticontraindication
  • ~ wah wha wha
    • ~~~
« Reply #169 on: 17 Feb 2009, 06:21 »

Dear that entire quote tunnel:

You suck.

<3,

me
I think you suck more for giving a very uncreative response.
Really being mean for no reason isn't that amusing.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2009, 06:59 by viatriphop »
~~~~~

Miche

« Reply #170 on: 17 Feb 2009, 09:44 »

I keep wanting to post it, even though it is probably no longer applicable.

Oh well.

"The content!  It is questionable!  Why did no one warn me!"

"My eyes!!  The goggles do nothing!"

*peer*

The_Bartender

« Reply #171 on: 17 Feb 2009, 17:02 »

Complete agreement on your right to do as you wish.  For all my comment about "stuck with us", I meant it much more as a friendly compliment.  As I said, you have created something people enjoy or find some level of connection with. 

This is still Jeph's playground, and he DOES have the right to take his toys and go home.
As a volunteer admin on the Car & Driver forums, I have had similar conversations with the moderators and the paid web staff.  We had a user hack the forum and make some changes, which many felt were an improvement.  But if this had been the real world, the comparison would be that someone broke into your house and re-arranged all the furniture.  Even if the layout was better, or the Feng Shui was stronger or whatever, they still BROKE INTO YOUR HOUSE!.
To apply that idea to this discussion, why would Jeph (or anyone who hosts a forum) continue to invite in some one who had insulted him, bad mouthed him in front of others and had been warned to stop but continued anyway?  I wouldn't tolerate someone like that visiting my home, and I doubt most of you would, either.  Friendly debate, even sometimes disagreement, yes.  But the admin of the forum has the right to decide what is over the line.  If people leave because of it, that is their option as well. 

Prominent Internet Figure

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #172 on: 17 Feb 2009, 17:07 »

I think Jeph is a pretty cool guy.  eh writes questionable content and doesn't afraid of anything!

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #173 on: 17 Feb 2009, 17:13 »

JESUS.
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #174 on: 17 Feb 2009, 18:37 »

I think the comic's awesome and I bought a t-shirt.  Please don't ban me?

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #175 on: 17 Feb 2009, 19:12 »

I think you suck more for giving a very uncreative response.
Really being mean for no reason isn't that amusing.

Heck, I thought it was funny. It seems like sarcasm and goofy self abuse doesn't go over well here. Every time I actually act like Guido Sarducci I get accused of being a bigot or something. Well,,,YEAH. That's the POINT  :laugh: But donna worry. Itsa notta so bad :wink:

championofkhorne

« Reply #176 on: 17 Feb 2009, 21:01 »

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #177 on: 17 Feb 2009, 21:42 »

dude. That's creepy.

championofkhorne

« Reply #178 on: 17 Feb 2009, 21:57 »

I wasnt aware marten could make an angry face

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #179 on: 17 Feb 2009, 22:02 »

Right on Jeph, I can respect that. I always kinda thought that guy was a bit of an attention whore myself. Nice job on the comic tonight.

Why don't you just suck his cock while you're at it?
Hate, rain on me

championofkhorne

« Reply #180 on: 17 Feb 2009, 22:04 »

oh snap son you gonna take dat shit from that pizza-chowing reptile

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #181 on: 18 Feb 2009, 01:33 »

dude is named after an achewood character you KNOW he is gonna bring the sass
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #182 on: 18 Feb 2009, 01:38 »

But the minute you insist on saying some forms of criticism are not valid or are not permitted, this forum is not a venue for serious criticism. And, hey, maybe you don't want it to be; that's your call. I do think it's a bit ridiculous to say he wasn't banned for having criticism - I suppose that was true in the technical sense: he wasn't banned for _having_ a view about the comic, see, he was banned for what that view was.

I'm not sure you know who your audience is either

A) I never said that, I banned one guy because he was being a cock and had been a cock for a significant span of time.

B) I know who my audience is far better than some random dude on the internet. I've met and/or interacted with far, FAR more of them than anyone else has. my argument stands. most of the shit I say in my newsposts is sarcastic or ironic anyway.

viatriphop

• Emoticontraindication
  • ~ wah wha wha
    • ~~~
« Reply #183 on: 18 Feb 2009, 05:20 »

Sassy VS. Classy
~~~~~

lolwut

« Reply #184 on: 18 Feb 2009, 05:35 »

who the fuck is martin

who the fuck is martin

Cold

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #185 on: 18 Feb 2009, 05:49 »

But really the only reason I actually came in here was to post this somewhere in comic discussion:

THE FUCK
READ MY COMICS OR DIE

Floyd and Mike
Bayeux Rhythms

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #186 on: 18 Feb 2009, 17:11 »

who the fuck is martin

who the fuck is martin

you know, that guy with white hair who was a coke head and starred in "the Jerk," THAT guy.

MonkeyWidget

« Reply #187 on: 18 Feb 2009, 17:21 »

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1341

this is totally emo of me but I think Faye's reaction in this strip is awesome.

The fact she says nothing, yet the reader knows exactly the hurt, really underscores the skill of the writer. 

Kudos Jeph!
It really requires the entire history of Faye and Sven to fill out the depth of the moment.

and when I say Kudos! I don't mean the granola bar from the 1980s

championofkhorne

« Reply #188 on: 19 Feb 2009, 07:37 »

go back to old people land, old person

fucking 1980's granola bars are not wlecome in now

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #189 on: 19 Feb 2009, 07:41 »

Kids these days!  No respect, mumble, mumble.

Mind you, an 80s Granola bar would be stale by now.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #190 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:31 »

They still make Kudos...
Keep a coolin' baby.

Lepton

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #191 on: 19 Feb 2009, 09:20 »

Actually I have it on good report that while most members of the Pussycat Dolls ARE in fact probably tone-deaf, at least one of them is also a classical violist.

[low blow]

I would argue that the two are not mutually exclusive.

[/low blow]

Poor violists: the blonds of the music world.

Mallli_kite

• Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #192 on: 19 Feb 2009, 09:30 »

Kudos had granola in them?  Damn!  All this time I was fooled by the candy,and here they were trying to get something HEALTHY into me.

But it's true.  http://www.kudosbar.com/kudos/index.htm

Can't trust ANYONE.

On another topic, Sven.  For reasons I'm not even certain I understand, he's become one of my favorite characters, possibly because he's got the most growth potential built in, and in part because I've always had a thing for guitarists with long hair.  Damn, I'm shallow.  I find a guy who is honest about his jerky behavior easier to deal with than someone who is nice and yet lies, especially when they lie to "avoid hurting anyone".

I'm also still reeling over the Kudos revelation.  Damn! ;)

I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #193 on: 19 Feb 2009, 09:31 »

Too bad, so sad.  Sven gave Faye her comeuppance, and now Jeph has caused me to prepare to shop for some rum.

It's all your fault, Jeph:  You suggested rum in my favorite comic to date: 1341.

Got a preference?  I'll drink it in your honor.  Your art brings me much happiness.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #194 on: 19 Feb 2009, 10:24 »

I never liked Kudos.

I am also interested to see if Sven grows or not; he also has much potential to let inertia take over. Most people would rather stick to what they're 'comfortable' with (that is, the familiar), even if that comfort is found in what those on the outside would consider rather painful ways. Having sex with many, many women is not exactly painful (so long as it's not all on the same night) if you're fast on your feet, so Sven also has a good deal of motivation to simply let it go. I feel happy just in seeing him not, for once* that we know of, get away with no consequences.

I've read through the entire comic series and can't seem to figure out what the steve-crush is all about.  I must be missing something.
You and me both. Steve's okay, and he was part of one of my favorite guest strips (when he was trapped in a closet for weeks), but Steve, he's just zis guy, you know?

*Yeah, yeah, twice, if you count the Vespavenger thing. But I think he scored a nurse out of that, so it was somewhat mitigated.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Mallli_kite

• Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #195 on: 19 Feb 2009, 10:32 »

OH hell yeah, Sven could just go back to habit.  So many people make the same choices because it's easy, and some repeat the same actions expecting that THIS time it will result in something good (isn't that a definition of insanity?).  Of course, inertia works both ways -- a body at rest tends to stay at rest, and a body in motion tends to stay in motion, until either are acted on by an outside force.

I'm hoping Sven stays in motion.

And I'm STILL a little flabbergasted that, out of all the comics I've read or am reading, THIS is the one where I'm the most invested.

Also, I don't like Kudos, either, especially now that I know their dirty little secret.
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

viatriphop

• Emoticontraindication
  • ~ wah wha wha
    • ~~~
« Reply #196 on: 20 Feb 2009, 07:22 »

[img width= height=]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2105/kudosjb8.gif[/img]
BUT THEY ARE SOO GEWD
~~~~~

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #197 on: 20 Feb 2009, 08:00 »

Oh man, are THOSE what Kudos are? I frigging LOVE Kudos!
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

championofkhorne

« Reply #198 on: 20 Feb 2009, 11:54 »

god damn kudos are taking over

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #199 on: 20 Feb 2009, 13:43 »

Dammit, now I need to get some Kudos.