THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 16:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT February 9-13  (Read 78386 times)

fallax

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCT February 9-13
« Reply #150 on: 11 Feb 2009, 19:16 »

I can't tell how I should feel about Lydia's declaration of "if you don't tell her, I will." It's admirable that she's looking out for Faye, I guess, but they aren't exactly close. I kind of feel like she's being unreasonable; if Sven asks her to lie, she is more than within her rights to refuse, but it really isn't her place to go tattling off to Faye if he makes a decision she doesn't agree with. Now that she knows, if Faye were to ask her "Has Sven slept with anyone else lately", then she can go ahead and tell the truth. But if Faye doesn't ask her anything, it's none of her business to get involved in their relationship problems. She should butt out.

DinosGoLauRAWR

• Not quite a lurker
  • Tigers also go LauRAWR ☆
    • My art
« Reply #151 on: 11 Feb 2009, 19:18 »

I feel like sven's distaste for the event that unfolded shows a little shame. It seems like he is feeling mad at himself for feeling bad about the whole event. Possible signs of growth?
"the answer to #4 is A GOOD DICKIN TO THE FACE!!!!!!!"
http://nowherexbutxhere.deviantart.com/

theangelicsin

« Reply #152 on: 11 Feb 2009, 19:28 »

I agree with you, fallax.

If Faye decided to ask Lydia if Sven has slept with anyone else, then it is by all means fine for her to say something. However, I don't think she should really be looking to force Sven to tell her (maybe get checked out for STD/STIs or something if she is worried for Faye's physical health but that's about it). I definitely think she's being unreasonable.

DinosGoLauRAWR

• Not quite a lurker
  • Tigers also go LauRAWR ☆
    • My art
« Reply #153 on: 11 Feb 2009, 19:34 »

Does anyone get the feeling Faye may shock us all and end up being really hurt by svens actions rather than mad? I feel like shes going to end up showing some actual vulnerability.
"the answer to #4 is A GOOD DICKIN TO THE FACE!!!!!!!"
http://nowherexbutxhere.deviantart.com/

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #154 on: 11 Feb 2009, 19:37 »

If Faye feels vulnerable she'll handle it by getting angry.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

muffmasta

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #155 on: 11 Feb 2009, 19:38 »

I agree with you, fallax.

If Faye decided to ask Lydia if Sven has slept with anyone else, then it is by all means fine for her to say something. However, I don't think she should really be looking to force Sven to tell her (maybe get checked out for STD/STIs or something if she is worried for Faye's physical health but that's about it). I definitely think she's being unreasonable.

Ermm, Isn't it Fays right to base her decisions on the truth- she already told Sven that their hookups would last only so long as he wasn't hooking up with other chicks- a fair enough request considering std's and so forth, not to mention she isnt seeing anyone else. So, if it was acceptable for Sven to sleep with someone else, it is still unacceptable for him to hide the truth from her. Anyone who is "in on" keeping the truth from her is participating in something that is wrong.

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!
« Reply #156 on: 11 Feb 2009, 19:45 »

it's none of her business to get involved in their relationship problems. She should butt out.

If it was none of her business, then Sven shouldn't have involved her by telling her.

She never butted in. Sven told her without prompting. He involved Lydia.

If you want something to stay a secret, you don't tell everyone.

t3hsteph

• Not quite a lurker
    • I Twitter
« Reply #157 on: 11 Feb 2009, 19:49 »

Sven's gotta man up and just tell Faye. Cause it's going to be so much worse if she finds out from someone else.
Golden people rule!

Blackcat Moebius

• Plantmonster
  • No mushrooms.
« Reply #158 on: 11 Feb 2009, 19:59 »

Does anyone get the feeling Faye may shock us all and end up being really hurt by svens actions rather than mad? I feel like shes going to end up showing some actual vulnerability.

I'm sort of expecting her to curl up into a ball of I-should-have-known-this-would-happen based self-loathing.
Meanwhile, Dora will go fratricidal.

theangelicsin

« Reply #159 on: 11 Feb 2009, 20:44 »

muffmasta, I agree that he should tell her, don't get me wrong. What I don't think should happen is that the intern should be the one to deliver the message. Faye has every right to know, but I don't think that Lydia has a right to force Sven into doing it. He SHOULD...

But then again, bunnyThor does make a good point... I guess he did involve her and kind of made it her business.

Masterbainter

• FIGHT YOU
  • those times...
« Reply #160 on: 11 Feb 2009, 20:56 »

I say he seduces his intern, bangs her and then what is she gonna tell Faye...

Okay I know that's wrong, but I could see someone like him(the first original Sven) doing it.

Faye did set ground rules about their casual sex and he broke them.. He just needs to tell her what he did and that if she doesn't want to bone anymore then so be it.

Edit: also wanted to add because i've seen it come up... I wear my coat over hoodies quite often.  And I've seen others do it here too... Maybe it's an old trend that the hipster world looks down upon or something I dunno.. But i like it and it comfy.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2009, 21:06 by Masterbainter »
Hey guys let me tell you about my intercourses.

My intercourses, let me tell you about them.

the_shankmaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Sweet Niblets
« Reply #161 on: 11 Feb 2009, 21:09 »

I guess she won't be able to use him as a professional reference on her resume.
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

chrisa1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #162 on: 11 Feb 2009, 21:28 »

that is one stupid intern.

I've never thought Lydia was particularly devoted to being Sven's intern. She started off all of one strip that way, but swiftly became disabused of the idea that she'd gain anything by interning with Sven. This might be a great opportunity for her to get out of this relationship, because her "mentor" will soon be either dead or in a Traumatic Brain Injury coma.

Mominator

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #163 on: 11 Feb 2009, 21:31 »

Helping with the raging "coat and hoodie controversy"...

I am wearing a coat and hoodie right now.  I usually wear a hoodie because I am endothermic, and when I go outside I put on a not very padded coat over it.  Purely for comfort... aesthetically it is a wash, as purple (hoodie) and olive green(scott E vest coat) do NOT coordinate.

I am of the opinion that Sven just had to tell someone, maybe sending up a trial balloon to see how badly the bricks would fall.  Judging by Intern's reaction, fast and heavy.  I think Intern also came on pretty heavily because she is aware that Sven needs someone to really tell him that he did a BAD thing; he can usually justify his actions to himself.  I don't think she will actually tell Faye, but I think she would give Sven a serious stink-eye if he evaded an opportunity to come clean with Faye.

Final thought: are we probing the deepest motives of imaginary people, or just Jeph's subconscious?   :?

braindead

« Reply #164 on: 11 Feb 2009, 21:31 »

Am I the only one that doesn't think Sven is entirely in the wrong here?

He knew what he was going into by getting involved with a lady with such emotional issues, but at the same time, they're not in a relationship. It's casual sex, and Faye is clearly not equipped to handle such a relationship.

Nope, I don't see him as entirely in the wrong either. He never said that he was committed to her or that he was only going to sleep with her.

I think the intern is treading on a dangerous road, however.

true, which brings as back to the fact that: this "relationship" was bound to fail.
as far as Sven goes he is being quite a nice guy considering his history and he is pretty much ready to own up to his mistake some ppl might even say he wants to get caught.

as far as the intern goes i think on one part she is being a bitch or one could say she is trying to make him do the right thing but on the other part that was needed for the story plus i can see that happen in RL.

as far as Faye goes i think she didn't want an actual relationship cause she was 1 she was expecting Sven to be unfaithful and she figured that way there would be less attachment (obviously she was wrong and she could almost be blamed for Svens infidelity cause keep him at distance made it easier for him to cheat on her), 2 she still has this phobia due to what happened with her father.

@ DinosGoLauRAWR im expecting her to be hurt more than anything else, I expect Dora to be mad at him, what im not sure about is what happens after that. (other than Faye getting wasted perhaps a sequel to Steve's brake up with the red head).
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2009, 21:37 by braindead »

DarkAvenger

« Reply #165 on: 11 Feb 2009, 21:46 »

I just have to say... Love the Shellac references in this one.

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #166 on: 11 Feb 2009, 22:13 »

Wow, I think I am more attracted to Sven than I've ever been.

He's character is just so...realistic.

I can't wait to see how this plays out.

sporky800

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #167 on: 11 Feb 2009, 22:13 »

I'm wondering how Dora will react to this new turn of events.  She warned Faye when the Faye/Sven thing started that he was unfaithful.  Will she be all "I told you so" to Faye?  

(side note, I wear hoodies under my coat ALL the time.  It saves me wearing a toque when it's cold out.  I also live in Ottawa, where it's almost always cold out)

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #168 on: 11 Feb 2009, 22:43 »

Why would you TELL HER THAT.
Good god his IQ has to be under 30!

=[

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #169 on: 11 Feb 2009, 23:04 »

Faye's bark is usually worse than her bite, so I agree that she'll probably be more hurt than mad.  I miss the therapy sessions, so I hope she goes that route instead drowning her sorrows in booze.  I think this is the end of Sven/Faye though.  It might make them realize that they have more feelings for each other than previously registered, but I can't really imagine Faye going back to him given her trust issues.

Perhaps she'll take another step in self-improvement, maybe taking some art classes so she can finish her degree?  I don't know, sort of ready for something new.

Joybee

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #170 on: 11 Feb 2009, 23:20 »

Cue Sven getting an epiphany over his love for Faye and chasing after her as she steps onto an airplane.

CLONE HIGH STYLE!

On a more serious note, I think that Sven cares a lot about keeping Faye around if he doesn't want to tell her about his random hookup, because Faye said a while ago that she is done with Sven once he fools around with someone else right?
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2009, 23:25 by Joybee »

jeanramone

• Not quite a lurker
  • The Holy Roman Empire rules for you.
« Reply #171 on: 12 Feb 2009, 00:17 »

Cue Sven getting an epiphany over his love for Faye and chasing after her as she steps onto an airplane.

CLONE HIGH STYLE!

Thanks for that scene to play in my head :3
LOL
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

assface420

wait, he cares??
« Reply #172 on: 12 Feb 2009, 00:32 »

This comic made me love Sven a little more. He looks so upset about what he did...the jackass. *sigh* hopefully Faye will go a bit easier on him knowing he feels as bad as he seems to...if she ever finds out that is.

Dunnoe

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #173 on: 12 Feb 2009, 00:42 »

i find it strange that sven just tells his intern, just like that. i mean, he might be a jackass, but he's not stupid.

perhaps he wants to tell faye indirectly and let her rip him apart so he'll feel less guilty.

AshleyZ

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #174 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:05 »

Dora will go fratricidal.
[/quote]

I dunno, Faye and Dora have an easy time dominating Martin because he's kind of a pushover - likewise Wil, Penelope, Raven, and Hannelore.  Faye and Dora really get away with the most astonishing abuse of their friends - and most of the customers at the coffee shop.  Sven, however, strikes me as a lot less willing to accept that kind of BS.  He did a bad thing here, and maybe Faye will dump him for it, but I also think he's man enough to tell Dora to fuck off.  It's really not her business.

0kamisama

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #175 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:06 »

Sven: "You know, Steve? I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

So, any ideas that this little development might send Sven away, exiled from the 'regular' status of our favorite Massachusetts gang?
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

Alphalpha

« Reply #176 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:24 »

Looks to me like Sven only told Lydia because he was distracted by his self-angry thoughts, I think it just slipped out. We can see here that Sven's relationship with Faye, whatever form that might take, means a lot to him because he is normally so open about his 'encounters', but he wants to keep this one quiet so he can continue meeting with her.

We also learned that Faye is better at the sexin' than Gina Riversmith   :wink:

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #177 on: 12 Feb 2009, 03:23 »

thinkthink *Urge.. to boast.. overwhelming.. self-preservation..*
talktalk "I banged her!"

--> Wang two, brain zero. Dammit, brain!
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2009, 03:25 by Headwoünd »
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #178 on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:10 »

Why would he want to boast about someone who's lousy at bangin' knowing full well he'd be killed for it?
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

fallax

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #179 on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:27 »

it's none of her business to get involved in their relationship problems. She should butt out.

If it was none of her business, then Sven shouldn't have involved her by telling her.

She never butted in. Sven told her without prompting. He involved Lydia.

If you want something to stay a secret, you don't tell everyone.

I don't mean that it isn't her business /knowing/. Sven volunteered the information. I mean that it isn't her business to go running off to Faye and telling her. Sven and Faye are adults and it's their "relationship". Lydia isn't even all that close to Faye. It's not her decision unless Faye asks her.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #180 on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:58 »

Actually the only way to keep a secret is to tell noone.

And I think Sven's being optimistic - Lydia's role will be to assist in the provision of an alibi.

And given the length of time that has passed, Sven and Faye appear to be in a relationship, so him telling her is being honest.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Angafirith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #181 on: 12 Feb 2009, 05:14 »

she could almost be blamed for Svens infidelity cause keep him at distance made it easier for him to cheat on her

I know this is just a side quote, but this sort of mentality bothers me. It's not my fault, they made me do it. These days people seem really willing to blame the victims. Fortunately, it appears that Sven is pretty pissed off at himself and knows that he screwed up.

See, if he was feeling pissed off about how she was keeping him at a distance, he should have called the whole thing off. Getting it on with Gina after that wouldn't be cheating, would it?

I'd argue that she hasn't been pushing him off anyway. There's been a couple times where she's tried to open up to him (see restroom call) and he's refused.

TryScience

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #182 on: 12 Feb 2009, 07:49 »

I'd argue that she hasn't been pushing him off anyway. There's been a couple times where she's tried to open up to him (see restroom call) and he's refused.

Restroom call was back when they were still drawing the battlelines and Faye was adamantly "This is NOT" a relationship. I don't fault Sven for not picking up on/responding to Faye's moment of "weakness". He's certainly no expert on healthy communication and monogamy himself.

On the one hand, I'd say Faye should categorically dump Sven, because he cheated. On the other hand, can you cheat on a non-relationship? We know Faye has said she'd be history if he slept with someone else, and so even if Sven doesn't feel he cheated he's at least scared of her reaction or losing her. Either way he needs to tell her. It would be nice if it led to a "moment" a la Clone High (gone too soon!*tear*)and better communication, but I don't know if that would feel organic to the characters.

I don't know what I want to happen here. I'm content to see where Jeph takes it.

In other news, I hope Dora gets run over by a bus and Marten dates cute library girl instead. This comic has enough dysfunctional, insecure, neurotic females. I hate people whose asses are on fire. Knork.

Mallli_kite

• Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #183 on: 12 Feb 2009, 08:42 »

Looks to me like Sven only told Lydia because he was distracted by his self-angry thoughts, I think it just slipped out. We can see here that Sven's relationship with Faye, whatever form that might take, means a lot to him because he is normally so open about his 'encounters', but he wants to keep this one quiet so he can continue meeting with her.

We also learned that Faye is better at the sexin' than Gina Riversmith   :wink:

I"m leaning toward this one.  Sven is having brand new thoughts and they are taking up all this thinking power.  He can't think about this new sensation of guilt, the fact he actually didn't like the sex he had, and that he might have feelings for Faye (who, from past evidence, would never admit having feelings for him) and keep up a subterfuge.

As for the intern -- it really is none of her business, even if she knows.  Not everything a person knows has to come spilling out of his/her mouth.  If asked, she need not lie, but to threaten to run and tell isn't about honesty, but about power.  She's making a threat to someone else who has some power over her (her boss, so to speak) and now she has something that gives her power over him, so in typical immature style, she's gonna tell!  she's gonna tell!  She's just short of dancing around and pointing her finger.

How do I know?  I've been in a similar spot at the intern, knowing a friend was cheating largely with his then-fiance, also a friend.  I was never asked, but I never threatened to tell.  I encouraged cheater boy to tell, though, and expressed my disapproval, but in the end it isn't my job to go around forcing my moral code on others.  They gotta make their own mistakes and live with them. 

Wow.  I just realized Jeph has finally created a character to whom I have taken a strong dislike.  Whatsername intern girl was not my favorite when she appeared, with her unrealistic expectations and somewhat obnoxious expressions, but now she's just taken the next step.

Why would he want to boast about someone who's lousy at bangin' knowing full well he'd be killed for it?

I didn't get the idea Sven was boasting, really, and you point out two excellent reasons why that interpretation doesn't make sense.  I really see it as Sven having Brand New Thoughts, and just having them is really shaking him up.
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #184 on: 12 Feb 2009, 09:52 »

He fucked up and he's knows that, for all of Faye's crazy, she's likely to be hurt by what he's done, so he has guilt. I think Sven told Lydia because the guilt was eating at him and he needed to get it off his chest, to confess. He didn't want to tell Faye for obvious reasons, but he wanted to tell someone in hopes that it would ease the guilt a little. I also think Sven doesn't want to lose what he has with Faye and, even though he makes it sound like he just doesn't want to die, he's afraid that she'll be gone when she finds out what he did.

Someone, either here on in another topic, mentioned Dora's reaction to this situation and Sven not putting up with BS. Yet right after they slept together, the second time, he was genuinely concerned about Dora killing him for it. Dora did warn Faye about Sven more than once, but she's also told Sven not to mess with Faye. She was also originally pretty pissed at Faye for sleeping with Sven. So who knows where she'll fall on this one. I think she'll be upset at her brother for hurting Faye and she'll feel bad for Faye, but part of her will "You knew this would happen."
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #185 on: 12 Feb 2009, 10:15 »

Just my take, and I'm prepared to be crucified for it, but Sven told Lydia, because he wants to tell Faye, and he was just working up to it.

Meh.  He'll tell her.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #186 on: 12 Feb 2009, 10:24 »

My god, Sven acting realistically: I'm thunderstruck!

Why did Sven tell Lydia? One of two reasons: either he was afraid she'd find out anyway and decided to bring it into the open or (more likely) he wants to be caught.
Why in god's name would he want to be caught, you ask? Because he's feeling guilty. I'm sure Gina did her "whorish best,"* but Sven was too distracted by guilt to notice.
Why the guilt? Who knows? I mean, people can feel guilty for the damnedest reasons. Very probably Sven himself doesn't know why he can't feel good about this escapade. But all the signs point to the fact that he doesn't.

That may be why he told Lydia, in fact, hoping to be forced into dealing with it. I really doubt Sven thought Lyds was going to give him a high five and a thumbs up for scoring Gina. But remember, if we can believe Dora, guilt's not something Sven is much used to dealing with. He may know he needs to be honest with Faye, but feels better about being 'forced' into it. Otherwise, he might be admitting to having a conscience as opposed to the whole "Faye knew what she was getting into" line of BS.  That only works if you don't give a bucket of pig shit about the person in question.

So I suppose I agree with maddness, et alii. But what fun would it be just to type that?

*A fave Heinlein quote of mine: "Darling, a true lady takes off her dignity with her clothes and does her whorish best. At other times you can be as modest and dignified as your persona requires."
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #187 on: 12 Feb 2009, 10:51 »

And to carry on from what our good friend Raul started - the confession may very well force Faye into looking at what she has and what she wants from her relationship with Sven. Yes, I believe they have a relationship - neither side is being entirely open about what they want out of it, and neither party is being honest with themselves either.

Wait a minute, this might lead to character development! 

Both parties here have not been entirely honest with themselves or with each other, and certainly both are saying things to "keep their cred", but their actions seem to indicate that they do have feelings for each other and that they care about each other. Nothing like a forced confrontation to make your realize what you have, what you want and what you need to do to keep it.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #188 on: 12 Feb 2009, 11:18 »

My god, Sven acting realistically: I'm thunderstruck!

Cue Angus...Angus Young that is!
They say the Joker is a wanted man...

Twelvth

« Reply #189 on: 12 Feb 2009, 11:51 »

I have to disagree on the whole "it's not lydia's place to tell" argument.  Because that is BULLCRAP.

You can say all you want about letting people make their own mistakes and choices, and that's all well and good.  But people can hardly make ANY choices if they don't have any information leading up to the fact that there's a choice to make.

Granted, she's not under any obligation to tell, she doesn't know Faye all that well or anything.  But she knows enough to tell that Faye wouldn't appreciate it, and there is nothing, NOTHING wrong with her letting her know what happened.  Maybe if she'd just seen him around ambiguously with another girl or something I could see reason for her to morally butt out, it being not her business and there being plenty of room for misunderstanding.  But he blatantly TOLD her what went down.  She's well within her rights to tell any other involved party as she feels morally inclined to.

I don't see how it's possibly a power thing, because once she's actually told it's done with.  Unless you think she's just all talk and wouldn't follow through with it, thus just trying to twitch his strings.  We'll see how that plays out.

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!
« Reply #190 on: 12 Feb 2009, 13:25 »

I don't mean that it isn't her business /knowing/. Sven volunteered the information. I mean that it isn't her business to go running off to Faye and telling her. Sven and Faye are adults and it's their "relationship". Lydia isn't even all that close to Faye. It's not her decision unless Faye asks her.

If you force me to take something, it *is* my business what I do with it subsequently. This includes information.

Lydia is his intern, not his secret-keeper or father confessor. She has been thrust unwillingly into an uncomfortable position, and it is completely within her rights to do whatever it takes to resolve her sudden burden. If that means she posts the information on the internet or if that means that she clams up and pretends that she heard nothing, that's her business.

If she had been drawn into his confidence, or signed a non-disclosure agreement, or had promised to keep a secret beforehand, that's a different matter. But instead Sven just dumped a hot potato in her lap with no warning, instruction, or consideration. Anything she feels she has to do to keep from being burned is legitimate.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #191 on: 12 Feb 2009, 13:37 »

I have to disagree on the whole "it's not lydia's place to tell" argument.  Because that is BULLCRAP.

You can say all you want about letting people make their own mistakes and choices, and that's all well and good.  But people can hardly make ANY choices if they don't have any information leading up to the fact that there's a choice to make.

Granted, she's not under any obligation to tell, she doesn't know Faye all that well or anything.  But she knows enough to tell that Faye wouldn't appreciate it, and there is nothing, NOTHING wrong with her letting her know what happened.  Maybe if she'd just seen him around ambiguously with another girl or something I could see reason for her to morally butt out, it being not her business and there being plenty of room for misunderstanding.  But he blatantly TOLD her what went down.  She's well within her rights to tell any other involved party as she feels morally inclined to.

This.

If you force me to take something, it *is* my business what I do with it subsequently. This includes information.

Lydia is his intern, not his secret-keeper or father confessor. She has been thrust unwillingly into an uncomfortable position, and it is completely within her rights to do whatever it takes to resolve her sudden burden. If that means she posts the information on the internet or if that means that she clams up and pretends that she heard nothing, that's her business.

If she had been drawn into his confidence, or signed a non-disclosure agreement, or had promised to keep a secret beforehand, that's a different matter. But instead Sven just dumped a hot potato in her lap with no warning, instruction, or consideration. Anything she feels she has to do to keep from being burned is legitimate.

Also this.

I've been in Lydia's situation before and it is incredibly shitty. If you say something, you risk ruining somebody else's relationship. But if you DON'T say something, it poisons your relationship with those same people.

I'd rather err on the side of honesty, and have in the past.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

graydon

« Reply #192 on: 12 Feb 2009, 13:49 »

I'm sort of expecting her to curl up into a ball of I-should-have-known-this-would-happen based self-loathing.
Meanwhile, Dora will go fratricidal.

Faye almost has to have thought about what she'd say if Sven sleeps with someone else.  If she doesn't go non-linear at the news, Sven is likely to get something planned, rather than an extemporized response.

I'm expecting something more like "So, was she worth never sleeping with me again?" than either self-loathing or violence, at least while Sven is actually there.

What happens after, well, maybe we'll see Dr. Corrine again.  Maybe Dora will get her wish.  Maybe Faye will next be seen with a wood chipper and a shifty expression.

ironi

• Plantmonster
« Reply #193 on: 12 Feb 2009, 14:08 »

Notice Sven didn't jump up with a cry of, "Oh no, please don't!" when Lydia threatened to tell. If he just accidentally let it slip that he slept with Gina and doesn't want Faye to know, I think that would be more along the lines of his response.  Instead he seems resigned to his fate.  I doubt Lydia will tell Faye, this sounds like an empty threat to me, then again we don't know her character that well.  Of course it is Lydia's "right" to tell, she is a free person.  That being said, I am of the opinion that the PROFESSIONAL thing for her to do would be to quit and walk away from the situation. 

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #194 on: 12 Feb 2009, 14:24 »

and if she should happen to end up in CoD and Faye strikes up a conversation? 

ironi

• Plantmonster
« Reply #195 on: 12 Feb 2009, 14:30 »

Why would she go to CoD without the intent of telling Faye in the first place?  If she is there she has already made up her mind to tell, since she knows full well that Faye works there.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #196 on: 12 Feb 2009, 15:52 »

I know, right?

But ok, it's the guilt talking, trying to conceal itself poorly with nonchalance and a fine layer of chauvinism. At least that's what I get from the "And then some." line; otherwise instant high five you've gotta admit, but just neither credibly nor enthusiasticly delivered, knowing he isn't fooling anyone, including himself.

Plus that extra lock on his door means that he's paranoid (maybe he even installed it this morning, in 1334 it looks at least unfinished), to round up this interpretation for the sake of not having to go to bed just yet.
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #197 on: 12 Feb 2009, 17:16 »

the intern would be overstepping her bounds.
She has a bit too much attitude.
Help bring back the dragons!

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #198 on: 12 Feb 2009, 17:38 »

I've been in Lydia's situation before and it is incredibly shitty. If you say something, you risk ruining somebody else's relationship. But if you DON'T say something, it poisons your relationship with those same people.

I'd rather err on the side of honesty, and have in the past.
There's one worse: being given such information by Party S, biting the bullet and keeping your lip zipped, and then finding out that Party S has told everyone he knows except Party F, the person that it matters to, and that, by playing the odds, has managed to get somebody to finally spill it to Party F, which was apparently the plan all along. You're left with the Charlie Brown question: are you a hero, or a goat? Me, I felt like eating laundry, stinking, and shitting all over the place*, i.e. decidedly goatlike.

And by the way, for everyone wanting to slam Lydia, there's a decided difference in taking someone into your confidence for help in working something out and casually dropping a stink-bomb the way Sven did.

*Well, verbally shitting.

Edit: Which, I realize I didn't say, is what I think Sven would do if he could. Drat Wil for being on a road trip!
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2009, 17:56 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #199 on: 12 Feb 2009, 17:46 »

You know what would be awesome right now?

A comic about Steve.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up