THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mixtape Thread!  (Read 123877 times)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Re: The Mixtape Thread!
« Reply #50 on: 01 Nov 2010, 11:49 »

Do radio shows count? If so, here's my friends' radio show about video game music:

http://www.mixcloud.com/highscore/high-score-world-2-1-episode-1/
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #51 on: 01 Nov 2010, 22:12 »

oooooooOOOOOooooo I can make a Halloween Mix toooOOOOooooooo

So I was a bit late this year in curating this particular mix, but I figured it would be a good idea to make one while waiting for the official Novembermix tracklist to congeal. As per the title, lots of post-industrial music in this one! Goth-type synth music seems to be making a comeback, what with Witch House and Zola Jesus and the like, but I find that it lacks potency in comparison to the drug-addled experimentalism of old. Just 8 tracks, but plenty to give you gooseflesh. Pretty sure that’s Scott Walker on the Vindicatrix track.

01. Coil - Moon’s Milk or Under An Unquiet Skull (Part Two)
02. Angelo Badalamenti - Laura Palmer’s Theme
03. Vindicatrix - Insulinde
04. Swans - Her Mouth Is Filled With Honey
05. Coil - Strange Birds
06. Mark Morgan - Underground Trouble
07. Aphex Twin - Tree
08. The Threshold Houseboys Choir - Ikoreek

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/?92brmjy1wd69mts
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #52 on: 02 Nov 2010, 02:14 »

October was an astoundingly fat month for new music, at least for me. It was hard to choose songs that would fill a single 80 minute disc, so I broke it up into two discs. The first is 17 tracks long, and the tracklisting is thus:

John's Novembermix of 2010 (First)

01. Jamie Woon - Night Air
02. Slugabed - Donky Stomp
03. Om Unit - The Corridor
04. Raffertie - Horse Flesh
05. Fulgeance - Chopped & Screwed
06. Policy - Emotional
07. Matt Whitehead - Tuff City
08. +Verb - Fragile Come Down
09. Nosaj Thing - Voices (Dorian Concept Remix)
10. Jacques Renault - Marilyn's Gold
11. Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Star Garden
12. Rockwell - Reverse Engineering
13. Bestboygrip - Fonck (Architeq Version)
14. Think - Scraps
15. Lonan - Aurora
16. Jodey Kendrick - Track A2
17. The Artificial Arm You've Been Messing with my Mind

http://www.mediafire.com/?txc9a165qblqj46
The second disc is composed of 15 tracks, arranged thusly:

John's Novembermix of 2010 (Second)

01. Thread Pulls - How to Talk
02. Peverelist & Hyetal - rrrr
03. Christoph Andersson - Tuxedo
04. Cubic Zirkonia / Bok Bok - Reclash (Give It To Me)
05. Coco Bryce - Ill Yuykb
06. Orson Bramley - Portraits of the Invisible Man
07. Spatial - 100402
08. Space Dimension Controller - Transatlantic Landing Bay
09. Jauzas The Shining - My Beauty
10. Girl Unit - Wut
11. Lazer Sword - Agrokrag
12. Goliath - Gilgamesh
13. Arp.101 - Dead Leaf
14. Space System - Sorrow Show
15. dBridge - ZX81

http://www.mediafire.com/?ckusf6svb9s330u
Of all of that, only the last dBridge song is more than a month old. Overall it seems to be pointing towards a new period of House music appreciation on my part, in large part due to the gradual encroachment of House into dubstep-ish forms in the UK (Raffertie, Om Unit, Cubic Zirconia). It also showcases a newfound love for hard electro in the 80's vein (Space Dimension Controller, Matt Whitehead).

The cover art is stuff I took from an online archive of old war photos, and messed around with in GIMP. Nothing approaching professional or even competent, I just hope they're not too garish. They're really the product of my gradual learning process vis a vis how GIMP actually works.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #53 on: 12 Nov 2010, 21:59 »

My "old" (she's 34) friend said she wants to get back into music after a 10yr plus hiatus so I made her a mix to help get there. I was armed w/ the knowledge:

- She'd seen My Bloody Valentine and Beck in *tiny* clubs in the early 90s. 
- She's heard Interpol and Modest Mouse and liked them b/c they "stole all the best parts from my favorite bands."
- The last album she liked enough to listen to w/o skipping songs was Built to Spill's Perfect from Now On.
- She has Funeral, and likes "one or two songs on it."
- She really hates music that sounds "precious."

I would love additional song recommendations.

Here's the d/l:
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?eixvz0b15k7z1l1
Here's the song-by-song explanation I gave her:

THE CANON - i'll have missed things. i tried to leave off things you said you knew already, too. i didn't capitalize much. and maybe you should listen to it a couple times before you read the commentary that comes next. i'm jealous of and excited for you for getting to hear some of these for the first time. some of them i included just because so many other people like them, but almost all of them are there because they really are great music.

Such Great Heights - this is out of order chronologically, because I couldn't get it to change the year. it kind of sums up the last twelve years though.... everyone actually discovered good music, but they called it indie so that it didn't seem popular eventhough it was slash started to be.

king of carrot flowers - a record store clerk actually told me "this song saved my life," and in the song's defense, it really does stand as the break bketween the time when good music was found on the radio and when good music just said "f*ck you we don't care if anyone  ever plays outside of their bedroom."

caring is creepy - the Natalie Portman of music for so many reasons.

since I left you - this is what smart girls ask you to play when they're drunk so you both feel cooler than you really are.

a good man is easy to kill - this song made a roommate cry once... once she listened to the lyrics.

a movie script ending - death cab for cutie used to be an amazing band. i had a hard time transitioning to a lot of music because "none of these guys can sing."

jacksonville skyline - f*ck.

jesus, etc. - one of the few songs where I can remember exactly where I was the first time I heard it.

secret santa cruz - a bit of a waste since the group's work is all completely intertwined with a enormous running narrative. the narrative is really beautiful.

turn the page - their second album, A GRAND DON'T COME FOR FREE, is actually their best, but this song is an introduction.

to hell with good intentions - pure rock.

one big holiday - for a second it looked like country ROCK was going to work. it didn't, but this song did.

so alive - ryan adams deserves his own disc compilation.

one with the freaks - this record is what all the small-voice, big blip indie rock wants to be but isn't

heartbeats - this record is what all the indie dance rock wants to be but isn't.

your ex-lover is dead - one of the last "three perfect songs" and "nine throwaway songs" sort of album bands.

the rat - would be the best song ever if it weren't for "to hell with good intentions."

smile like you mean it - went on a date w/ a girl in cambridge. in the middle of it she bragged to me very casually that she went to harvard. I replied, "even the bartender here went to harvard." this song makes me want to say, "even the girl in sales and marketing likes 'indie rock.'"

take me out - the first big win for assymetric song structures. also, hearing this on the radio was the best part of my day when i was working for wells fargo.

like eating glass - if it weren't so popular, it would be better.

not about love - not released for two years because the record company thought it wouldn't sell... this happened JUST before people learned how to monetize w/ the interent and withOUT physical records.

7/4 shoreline - the takeover of real musicians, who just happen to play rock music. try to count it.

maple leaves - the confluence of cleverness, poignancy, and samples.

Oh, Well - same story as "not about love," but with a really perfect string of chord progressions.

dear sons and daughters of hungry ghosts / i'll believe in anything - 1) they go together on the album and are hard to separate. 2) they opened for the arcarde fire and are never described as this since the arcarde fire are "the most important band ever" but imagine wolf parade as "what if the arcade fire grew a pair."

the geese of beverley road - picking a song by the national was the most impossible thing ever, and now that i've done it, i'm panicking. should  I have gone more rock/ should i have gone fmor more soft? should i have been more of a "single"/ these are things I can't answer so instead here is a song that made me very excited  in a bret hart graham greene sort of way

stuck between stations - give his voice 10 listens before judging. listen to the lyrics. also they wrote this in their late 30s so excuse the springsteen keys.

arctic monkeys - north country kids... try to imagine yourself drunk on cheap beer and surrounded by chavs trying to impress artsy girls and being really annoyed but really happy the band you're all seeing is good.

painter in your pocket - my french guitar teacher hated this so much, and that makes me so happy.

young bridge - the least gloomy song by the gloomiest band in the world. the album is a concept album about frontier families, and they actually pull it off.

atlas - at some point weird dance music became a thing. i stay up nights wondering which part of this song came first and what compelled them to keep going. so glad they did.

you'll need those fingers for crossing - the least twee song from the most twee band ever.

two weeks - this is what boring people who want to appear less boring always tell me is their favorite song. probably could have said that shorter by mentioning brooklyn industries sooner in the description.

young hearts spark fire - 2 kids. guitar and drums. too much cheap wine.
Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #54 on: 13 Nov 2010, 23:43 »

You guys make awesome mixes. Hate to derail, but speaking of mixes, the new J.Cole mixtape is fucking sick.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #55 on: 17 Nov 2010, 01:12 »

all the couples i know have been breaking off, which sort of inspired this mix which has no other title than

Music That Matters More 15

1. Manchester Orchestra - "Are You Really Naked Under There?"
       2. Patrick Wolf - "Time Of My Life"
       3. Robyn - "Get Myself Together"
       4. The Killers - "Four Winds"
       5. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - "Higher Than The Stars"
       6. M83 - "We Own The Sky"
       7. Starfucker - "Helium Muffin"
       8. J Dilla - "Safety Dance"
       9. The Blow - "Parentheses"
      10. Matt & Kim - "Lessons Learned"
      11. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Hysteric"
      12. Hot Chip - "Thieves In The Night"
      13. LCD Soundsystem - "All I Want"

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?a414tv953bgy65n
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #56 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:58 »

The December mix is upon us. Here is the tracklisting!

01. Taz - Gold Tooth Grin
02. Letherette - Furth and Myre
03. Anna Pangilinan aka Squab Squawk - What Up Metric
04. Seventhswami - Lucidity
05. Serafina Steer - Half Robot
06. Funckarma - Reasch
07. Duffstep - Know You (Dub Version)
08. Laurel Halo - Supersymmetry
09. Jack Dixon - Substitute
10. Planes - Skeleton Key
11. Lego feat. Autistedelik - Mal de Tete (a tribute to scratching)
12. M2J - Infinity Complex
13. Light Club - Scirocco Night Drive
14. Pearson Sound - Blanked
15. 8bitch - Hathor
16. Decal - Moylough (u-Ziq Remix)
17. Instra:Mental - Love Arp
18. Scuba - Symbiosis

http://www.mediafire.com/?6alkr8re9bi9hfk
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #57 on: 14 Dec 2010, 08:08 »

Here's a couple others I made. They're semi-thematic. The first is very string heavy, the dominant instrument in most is cello and/or violin but stylistically the songs vary a bunch. The second is a whole lot of dark, nightmare-ish minimalism. Both mixes feature songs exclusively from 2010.

1. Library Tapes - Like Grass Straws Against a Blue Sky
2. Daniel Bjarnason - Procession III: Red-Handed
3. Amiina - Sicsak
4. Fursaxa - Poplar Moon
5. Ólafur Arnalds - Loftið verður skyndilega kalt
6. Zoë Keating - Escape Artist
7. Clogs - To Hugo
8. Aaron Martin - Burl
9. Max Richter - Infra 4
10. Brian McBride - Supposed Essay On The Piano (B Major Piano Adagietto)
11. Goldmund - Bergen
12. Hildur Gudnadóttir - You
13. Erik K Skodvin - Etching an Entrance
14. Nils Frahm - Let My Key Be C (Thriller Edit)

Total time: 1:06:43
http://www.mediafire.com/?o6vodwe9b1f0jxb

1. Christopher McFall - 4
2. Thomas Koner - Permafrost
3. Black Swan - Part VIII
4. Xela - Eve's Riposte
5. Svarte Greiner - Side B
6-8. The North Sea - Counting Down the Days/Save Yourself/Revelations
9. World's End Girlfriend - The Offering Inferno

Total time: 1:51:56
(Track 5 is actually three tracks, the whole B side to Svarte Greiner's "Penpals Forever (and Ever)", tracks 6-8 are the same for the North Sea's "Bloodlines" but in three separate tracks (it's still one continuous piece of music))

http://rapidshare.com/#!download|136dt|436617771|Hollow_Press_2010_mix_4.zip|225268 (sorry for the rapidshare, the file's too big for mediafire and I didn't feel like breaking it into two parts)
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #58 on: 14 Dec 2010, 08:12 »

dude can i just rob yr entire music collection?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #59 on: 14 Dec 2010, 20:23 »

Randy and Earl from the TV show?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #60 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:13 »

New year, new series, this time with a vaguely label-ish moniker - TPS|JMXI01, followed by an 02, etc.

More acid here than the usual, if you can believe that, and a lot more gorgeous texturing. That second-to-last Grouper track is a perrenial. Beyond that we've got IDM from EOD and Geiom, modern dub composition from Bastian Wegner, bleeding-edge house from Jam City, Martyn and Headhunter, techno from Zerkalo and Franklin De Costa, and a little rap throwback stuff from Wbeeza and Chico Santiago, reminiscent of that Alan Braxe / Rec collab that was so unexpectedly awesome on the "Uppercuts" comp. Also one of these tracks doesn't belong :o which one is it? The world may never know.

Anyway, a few short songs allowed some better variety than a few of last year's. Also tried to shake up the mix cover format but there's something missing and I don't know how to add it. Anyone have any pointers?

Tracklisting:
01. Swans - Live Through Me
02. Raime - If Anyone Was Here He Would Know Where We ARe
03. EOD - On a Herald Go
04. Breton - Counterbalance
05. Planes - Sole Intention
06. Echo Lake - Sunday Evening
07. Master Eveleigh - Cornish Clotted Cream
08. Franklin De Costa - Circular Beings
09. Geiom - Resi Claart
10. KXTA - Under_57.Ice
11. Martyn - Left Hander
12. Wbeeza feat. Chico Santiago - The World Is Yourz
13. Jam City - 2 Hot
14. eLan - I Can't Breathe
15. Headhunter - Chasing Dragons
16. Zerkalo - How Difficult It Is
17. Grouper - Heavy Water / I'd Rather Be Sleeping
18. Bastian Wagner - Drift

Anyway
http://www.mediafire.com/?0xqer5trwq2cycf
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: 12 Jan 2011, 04:17 »

there's something missing and I don't know how to add it. Anyone have any pointers?

It's just a bit sloppy man. Typography's not laid together pleasingly, you've got hard and soft-edged elements not mixing right, nothing to tie it together etc.

Try something more like this:

http://image.bayimg.com/ladblaade.jpg

Better to do it from the raw files though than fuck around with the JPG like I did here, also I probably went overboard at a few points, but I like playing around. Think about how everything lines up with everything else and about the edges and borders and shapes, is all the general advice I can give.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 10:04 by KharBevNor »
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #62 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:55 »

there's something missing and I don't know how to add it. Anyone have any pointers?

It's just a bit sloppy man. Typography's not laid together pleasingly, you've got hard and soft-edged elements not mixing right, nothing to tie it together etc.

Try something more like this:

http://image.bayimg.com/ladblaade.jpg

Better to do it from the raw files though than fuck around with the JPG like I did here, also I probably went overboard at a few points, but I like playing around. Think about how everything lines up with everything else and about the edges and borders and shapes, is all the general advice I can give.
Yeah I need some dedicated, rigorous practice with GIMP, which is what I use. I can't use anything that isn't halfway automatic. Trying just to make a shape with smooth, straight edges is hard enough for me. Pizazz is just out of my league entirely.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #63 on: 12 Jan 2011, 13:30 »

Show Me Your Movements

mix I made as part of a blog's "month of mixtapes" feature. it is mostly lo-fi electronic stuff, some groovy blips and bloops and reverb. some of my favorite tracks from last year that didn't fit on any best of compilation, so I made them their own.

Quote from: TRACKLIST
01 Baths - Nordic Laurel
02 Blackbird Blackbird - Summer Heart
03 Teen Daze - Four More Years
04 Brothertiger - Feel
05 Active Child - When Your Love Is Safe
06 Geographer - Kites
07 Memoryhouse - To the Lighthouse
08 Jamie Long - Monaco
09 Keep Shelly In Athens - Fokionos Negri Street
10 Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
11 ceo - Illuminata
12 Washed Out - New Theory
13 Memory Cassette - Surfin'
14 Toro Y Moi - Blessa
15 Cults - Go Outside

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?d17v976ay146fyc

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #64 on: 05 Feb 2011, 03:37 »

It's February! Innit. You know, this would make a lot more sense if I released these things at the end of the month, but I've been doing this for over a year now and unless I want to pull a two CD mix out with the three extra weeks of music the transition would yield me (on average I can fill a full disc's worth of material in about two weeks, give or take. I consume a ludicrous amount of music) it's a tough sell. Anyway, January was a fertile month so the tracklisting was something I fretted over a lot. I'm going to have a lot of good music from these last few weeks spilling over into next month's mix, but that's how these things go, usually. I got the cover art from this Tumblr blog called "Supersonicelectronic", it's pretty good when you need a random, vaguely psychedelic image for a mix cover.

Here is the tracklisting for "TPS | JMXI02":
01. Illum Sphere - Aftermath
02. Andrea - Retail Juke
03. Black Math - This Love's Got to Change
04. Instra:Mental - From the Start
05. Julio Bashmore - Battle For Middle You
06. Gravious - Junction City
07. XXXY - Ordinary Things
08. Brokenchord - A Girl Of 13 Summers
09. Ø (Mika Vainio) - Ensimmäinen Valo
10. Solar Bears - To Be With Her
11. Lil B - Vampires
12. Cotton Keys - Sliding Tiger Slippery Snake
13. Julia Kent - Ailanthus
14. Sepalcure - Fleur
15. Luke Abbott - Trans Forest Alignment
16. Excepter - Stretch (JG Thirlwell Mix)
17. Bvdub - The Past Disappears

Here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?241s63bz6orpvj6
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #65 on: 14 Feb 2011, 21:35 »

pseudo-Valentine's day mix. good for makeouts and/or general chillage. mostly downtempo, groovy electronic stuff.

1. The New Division - Bucharest
       2. Active Child - When Your Love Is Safe
       3. Hard Mix - Eye Contact
       4. HEALTH - In Heat (Javelin Remix)
       5. Starfucker - The White of Noon
       6. Cut Copy - Hearts on Fire
       7. Crystal Castles - Not in Love (ft. Robert Smith)
       8. Hot Chip - One Life Stand
       9. LCD Soundsystem - Someone Great
      10. James Blake - Limit to Your Love
      11. The xx - Islands
      12. SomethingALaMode - G-String

http://www.mediafire.com/?r9bvnjalebx98gg

yop

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #66 on: 18 Feb 2011, 08:47 »

Thanks for the "TPS | JMXI02" Sound. Incredible Selection  :-o

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #67 on: 18 Feb 2011, 13:01 »

N/P
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #68 on: 05 Mar 2011, 22:55 »

MARCH

Starts folky / poppy, gets weird electronic, then ends with drone / classical.

01. Angels of Light - All Souls' Rising
02. Antena - Camina Del Sol
03. 13 & God - Von Gradleute (Hrvatski Rmx)
04. Bunny On Acid - Twisting and Turning
05. A Quaint Freud - Intuit
06. Kahn - Helter Skelter
07. Hype Williams - Businessline
08. Flux Information Sciences - Love
09. Morris Cowan - Afield
10. Move D - Computer Flop
11. Unicity - Atmospheric Reentry
12. Padang Food Tigers - Up Beat Hummer
13. Laura Gibson & Ethan Rose - Younger
14. Deaf Center - The Day I Would Never Have
15. Dustin O'Halloran - Opus 44
16. Motion Sickness of Time Travel - Clairvoyance

http://www.mediafire.com/?7dgkuyo6dvxoqiv
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #69 on: 22 Mar 2011, 20:51 »

sasquatch! 2011 sampler #1
       1. Noah and the Whale - Give it All Back
       2. Deerhunter - Revival
       3. Wavves - King of the Beach
       4. Sleigh Bells - Infinity Guitars
       5. Matt & Kim - Good Ol’ Fashion Nightmare
       6. The Decemberists - Rox in the Box
       7. Flogging Molly - May the Living Be Dead (In Our Wake)
       8. Bright Eyes - Jejune Stars
       9. Best Coast - Crazy for You
      10. Old 97’s - King of All the World
      11. Iron & Wine - Boy With A Coin
      12. Foster the People - Houdini
      13. Ratatat - Neckbrace
      14. !!! - Yadnus
      15. Yeasayer - O.N.E.
      16. Robyn - Hang With Me
      17. Washed Out - Feel it All Around

http://www.mediafire.com/?asjkdaxbobj3b8v

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #70 on: 24 Mar 2011, 10:59 »

Nice choices for the Decemberists, !!! and I&W tracks!

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #71 on: 26 Mar 2011, 06:55 »

Nice choices for the Decemberists, !!! and I&W tracks!

Oh sweet Lord how !!! are so so so terrible.

I'd love to hear some of these and upload my own, but like, have no idea what site or host or whatever you guys are using.

Metapony

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #72 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:35 »

Hi all, I've been lurking for a couple of months here and wanted to share a mix I did a number of years ago. I don't have a tracklisting, sorry. I did a few with just whatever was on my hard drive at the time. I think it starts with the Liars going into Tricky going into the Dirty Projectors going into Beanie Sigal going into a bunch of other things. I was getting into blending sounds at the time and giving up the tweak, so it's my own way of letting go. I hope you enjoy it.

http://snd.sc/hCO0WD

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #73 on: 26 Apr 2011, 09:47 »

Here's a mix I made for my blog containing songs from the first third of 2011. It's a lot of ambient and drone stuff with a healthy dose of electronica and even a smattering of post-rock. Threw it together really quickly so it's imperfect but there's still a bunch of great tunes on it.

1. Mogwai - Rano Piano
2. Braids - Glass Deers
3. Mark Templeton - At Your Feet
4. Grails - Future Primative
5. Deaf Center - Close Forever Watching
6. Matthew Cooper - Some Days are Better than Others
7. Tape - Dust and Light
8. Rene Hell - Detuned Clarinet
9. Motion Sickness of Time Travel - Vision of Bliss and Peace
10. Evenings - Still Young
11. Dirty Beaches - A Hundred Highways
12. Julianna Barwick - Envelope
13. A Hawk and a Hacksaw - Lazslo Lassu
14. Tim Hecker - No Drums
15. Grouper - Vapor Trails
16. Colin Stetson - In Love and in Justice
17. Explosions in the Sky - Postcards from 1952

Total Runtime: 1:33:27

http://www.mediafire.com/?8beppcezfgi1774
edit: just noticed the "album title" on the tracks calls this a "first quarter" mix rather than first third. Change as you are wont.

Hollow Press (my blog)

yop

« Reply #74 on: 23 Jul 2011, 09:15 »

01 - Watermelon - Moomin
02 - Wires Theo Parrish Remix - Owiny Sigoma Band
03 - Let Go Dub Of Dub - Peach Melba
04 - Goa - Auntie Flo
05 - Synthetes - Mr Beatnick
06 - Needs - KW
07 - Abundant - Tim Toh
08 - The Promenade - Tevo Howard
09 - YNY.mp3 - Machinedrum
10 - Focus Energy - Seams
11 - New Life - Claro Intelecto
12 - Roll Blackdown s A Debt Repaid Remix - Bias & Gurley
13 - Dark Details - Andy Stott

http://www.mf.com/?3y2idsc8sdt49p8
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2011, 17:15 by yop »

sketchball

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #75 on: 25 Aug 2011, 17:51 »

http://www.M/F.com/?24k9zbp8o1eespe
I am a long time lurker on this thread... Since 2007 probably. Never made an account until today. And yes, I feel bad because I haven't posted before, but I feel the need to now. Here's a mixtape I've been working on with the rapper Aziz. I produced 7 out of 14 tracks (producer name is SKetcho). I sample Elliot Smith in one song, and Ennio Morricone in another... It's spacey hip hop.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #76 on: 25 Oct 2011, 10:54 »

ooh, placeholder for my Halloween mix.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ADRIAN WOODHOUSE

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #77 on: 01 Nov 2011, 08:07 »

an autumn mixtape :

http://www.mediafire.com/?sjwspbd154b1gzd

tracklist :

Helios - first dream called ocean
Gold Panda - rush job
Dark Time Sunshine - run
Low - try to sleep
Sebé - horizons
White Hinterland - icarus
Electric President - safe and sound
The Strange Death Of Liberal England - autumn
Oskar Ohlson & Winterismyname & Babelfishh - rust builds quick
Son Lux - all the right things
Why ? - light leaves
Laura Stevenson & The Cans - the wait
Sufjan Stevens / Aesop Rock - star of wonder / none shall pass
Astronautalis - measure the globe
Scott Matthew - devil's only child
13 & God - armored scarves
The organ - love, love, love

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #78 on: 04 Dec 2011, 20:06 »

Here's a mix of random stuff from 2011 that I posted on my blog

1. Zola Jesus - Vessel
2. Blackout Beach - Hornet's Fury into the Bandit's Mouth
3. Red Horse - Part 1
4. Pete Swanson - Misery Beat
5. Roll the Dice - See You Monday
6. Juv - Lys
7. Julie Holter - The Falling Age
8. Isidore Ducasse - Here's Lies a Youth Who Died of Consumption
9. Matt Christensen - Simple Lives Mean Nothing
10. Nest - Koretz's Meteor
11. Motion Sickness of Time Travel - Like Dunes
12. Tim Hecker - Analog Paralysis, 1978
13. David Lynch - She Rise Up
14. The Caretaker - Mental Caverns Without Sunshine

http://www.mediafire.com/?4t8fdyv161bls7v

Hollow Press (my blog)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #79 on: 07 Dec 2011, 18:25 »

aaaaand here's 2011 mix 2

1. Mogwai - Mexican Grand Prix
2. Lee Noble - Desire Isn't Suffering
3. And So I Watch You From Afar - BEAUTIFULUNIVERSEMASTERCHAMPION
4. Danny Paul Grody - Hello From Everywhere
5. Evangelista - Artificial Lamb
6. Bill Orcutt - Till I Get Satisfied
7. Ben Frost and Daniel Bjarnason - Venia
8. The Drift - The Skull Hand Smiles/May You Fare Well
9. Jon Porras - Calm
10. A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Steep Hills of Vicodin Tears
11. Ezekiel Honig - Subverting the Memory of Your Surroundings
12. Ernst Karel - Stans-Kalti
13. Higuma - Burning Colors
14. Grouper - Water People
15. Colin Stetson - From No Part of Me Could I Summon a Voice

http://www.mediafire.com/?l1kel8y6t89drlb

Hollow Press (my blog)

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #80 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:44 »

I'm DJ and played this (mixed a bit) throughout last night's DJ shift from 00:30 - 02:30
I dont have a link for this yet :X

White Denim - Is and Is and Is
Dan Deacon - Snookered
Sneaker Pimps - 6 underground
Foster the People - Houdini
The Van Jets - Damage
Cage the Elephant - Aint No Rest
The Strokes - Last Nite
Blood Red Shoes -  It's getting boring by the sea
Electric Six - Gay Bar
Smith Westerns - End of the Night
Butcherettes - Bang!
The automatic - Steve McQueen
Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
Cosmo Jarvis - Gay Pirates
Kakkamaddafakka - Gangsta
10CC - Dreadlock Holiday
Real Estate - It's Real
Florence + Machine - Breaking Down
Gorrilaz - Stylo
Chrystal Castles - Crimewave
Slagmalsklubben - Sponsered by Destiny
Hard-fi - Give it Up
The Vaccines - If you Wanna
Art Brute - Alchoholics Anonymous
Futureheads - Beginning of the Twist
Danko Jones - Dance
The Living End - Prisoner of Society
Queens of the Stone Age - Song for the Dead

lightbulbmoments

« Reply #81 on: 28 Dec 2011, 04:11 »

A mix by Amen Dunes

http://www.mixcloud.com/the_Quietus/quietus-mix-54-amen-dunes/

• Lifetones - For A Reason
        Happy Mondays - Brain Dead
        The Terminals - Deadly Tango
        M.B. - Excerpt From 'NH' Tape
        Eyeless in Gaza - Scale Amiss
        Einsturzende Neubauten - Feurio!
        Dj Paul & Juicy J - I Thought You Knew
        Circle of Ouroborus - The Prayer
        DOOM - Life in Freedom/money Drug/Fear of The Future
        Hanatarash - Meat-A-Delic
        Death In June - Peaceful Snow

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #82 on: 29 Dec 2011, 00:40 »

Sort of relevant: I was making a mix tape for my last girlfriend and had to stop after the 6th Rick Astley song. I said "No more." then after four or five Pat Benatar songs I realized there was no way I could give it to her.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #83 on: 17 Jan 2012, 10:31 »

I made a mixtape of covers and original songs for a quiz, nothing fancy ill make a long post out of. you can see the list here, no downloads becuase its not worth it. If you want to download the list and songs, ask me and ill sent you the link :)
http://pastebin.com/rrss1Mpz

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #84 on: 06 Feb 2012, 15:13 »

Love 2012 - Various Artists

Download :
http://www.mediafire.com/?ab28h6wtwau4hyn
(click to show/hide)

sketchball

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #85 on: 23 Feb 2012, 17:39 »

http://www.M/F.com/?3c7iqgjkhgs5qtk
Here is a mash up album I made. It's MGMT and Jay-Z. Hope you guys dig it.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #86 on: 20 Mar 2012, 18:18 »

Well, I'm going to take that recommendation to persevere regardless of music taste to heart.
http://www.m/f.com/?y0cabv6bdyvrk0oThis is just a small playlist of music that I consider "Energy inducing". It's really helpful on a slow or gloomy day ^.^

(click to show/hide)
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #87 on: 03 Apr 2012, 06:20 »

been a while, figured you guys might like a massive 36-track tape. this one's a banger.

Part 1

Sleigh Bells - Comeback Kid
Die Antwoord - I Fink U Freeky
Crystal Castles - Exoskeleton
Major Lazer - Bruk Out (Buraka Som Sistema Mix)
Deastro - Light Powered
Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch
iamamiwhoami - Clump
Grimes - Oblivion
Tobacco - Fresh Hex (Demo)
Starfucker - Millions (Feat. Lil Jon & Ying Yang Twins)
Walter Meego - Wanna Be A Star
Natalie Portman's Shaved Head - Beard Lust
Bit Shifter - Quick, Before it Melts
Matt & Kim - Block After Block (Teen Daze's 80s Teen Gang Movie Remix)
New Build - Behind the Shutter
Futurecop! - Dreams
Shad - A Good Name
Macklemore - And We Danced
Franz Ferdinand - Lucid Dreams

http://www.mediafire.com/?uezcj4n8685idp7
Part 2

Ghostland Observatory - Glitter
Vitalic - Your Disco Song
Gorillaz - Stylo
Kasper Bjørke - Young Again
Hot Chip - Ready for the Floor
Two Door Cinema Club - Something Good Can Work (The Twelves Remix)
Morgan Page - Body Work Feat. Tegan and Sara
Handsome Furs - Memories of the Future
YACHT - Psychic City (Voodoo City)
Goldfrapp - Believer (Little Loud Remix)
M83 - Sitting
Teen Daze - Let's Groove
Brothertiger - Lovers
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Yellow Missing Signs
New Order - Your Silent Face
Kraftwerk - Neon Lights
Parenthetical Girls - Joan of Arc (Maid of New Orleans)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ukr7t0hmcjawatt

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #88 on: 03 Apr 2012, 23:25 »

New Mixtape coming soon. Once I get around to uploading it. It's a long'un, 21 songs/183 minutes. Lots of good stuff. Good stuff for all! I hope (think) it still flows nicely enough despite the perhaps over-diversity of genres.

1. The Weakerthans - Greatest Hits Collection
2. Man Man - Piranhas Club
3. Julian Lynch - Clay Horses
4. M. Ward - Deep Dark Well
5. Hammock - Breathturn
6. Kontrolorgan - Kingfisher Exile
7. Library Tapes - Departures (Burning Saints for Your Own Sins)
8. The Mountain Goats - Young Caesar 2000
9. Wildbirds and Peacedrums - The Drop
10. My Education - Dirty Hands
11. The One AM Radio - This is a Document
12. Natural Snow Buildings - Eu un Miroir, Obscurement
13. Caribou - Spiritually Immature Mansion
14. Caspian - Our Breath in Winter
15. Julia Holter - Marienbad
16. Sticklips - Untitled Demo
17. Black Moth Super Rainbow - Lost Picking Flowers in the Woods
18. Rene Hell - Detuned Clarinet
19. Red Horse - 1
20. Grizzly Bear - Deep Blue Sea
21. William Fowler Collins - First Breath

Coming soon!

Hollow Press (my blog)

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #89 on: 26 May 2012, 16:03 »

Just finished a flood-themed mix on 8tracks here:
http://8tracks.com/doombilly/flood

Sorry it is only streaming. But here's the track list:

Open the Floodgate (Live) - Thom Yorke
Flooding - Kristin Hersh
Flooded With Heavenly Dew - Heavy Winged
Flooded - Von Südenfed
The Flood - Blue Orchids
Drowning - Pain Teens
When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
Lights of the Levee - Royal Trux
Drowning - Blind Idiot God
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
Drowning on Dry Land - OV Wright
Water - PJ Harvey
Here Comes the Flood - Peter Gabriel
You and I Were Meant to Drown - Pleasure Forever
No Human Can Drown - Clan of Xymox
Drownin' Not Wavin' - Mystery Jets
Drowning - Tara Jane O'Neil
La Bas: Song of the Drowned - Lisa Gerrard
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

sketchball

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #90 on: 14 Jun 2012, 11:32 »

Here's a mixtape I hosted (mixed, and produced a bunch of tracks off of). 2ndNature is a 17 year old kid, real talented MC.
http://2ndnature.bandcamp.com/album/mosaic

ALSO, an EP from me and Ryan Easter, a talented Berklee jazz musician. FREE.
http://www.M/F.com/?5huhwyvlxv73ba0

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2012, 13:22 by sketchball »

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #91 on: 09 Jul 2012, 18:07 »

Here's a mix I made for this month's SF Mixtape Society party. The theme this time around is American Summer. I wrote up a description for the mix explaining why it fits the theme for me but I don't feel like retyping it and it's not relevant in any case. All you need to know is these are some cool songs that you should listen to and that run a fairly broad gamut of genres but stays away from the noise/drone world of most of my mixes/listening. It's perhaps too long, but why waste precious CD-r space??

Tracklisting:

1. Fleet Foxes - Sun it Rises
2. Suni McGrath - Pea Plucker's Pavane
3. The Mountain Goats - See America Right
4. Canon Blue - Indian Summer (Des Moines)
5. Advance Base - Summer Music
6. Panda Bear - Comfy in Nautica
7. Black Moth Super Rainbow - Born on a Day the Sun Didn't Rise
8. ALTAR EAGLE - Honey
9. Animal Collective - Kids on Holiday
10. Ducktails - Sunset Liner
11. Air - Surfing on a Rocket
12. Broken Social Scene - Cause = Time
13. Emeralds - Candy Shoppe
14. The Field - Is this Power
15. The Knife - Girls' Night Out
16. M83 - Kim & Jessie
17. Sparklehorse - Knives of Summertime

http://www.mediafire.com/?w3rn4kml50vv40x

Hollow Press (my blog)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #92 on: 23 Jul 2012, 10:49 »

You had me at Vatican Shadow. Well played!

Hollow Press (my blog)

Fishboy

« Reply #93 on: 17 Aug 2012, 08:33 »

I make trance compilations for my idiot friends. Probably about as popular in here as, well, the murder of homosexuals, but feel free to grab the latest here:

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?yjdm4yj031j
If anyone actually likes this go ahead'n ask for more, got loads.

I'd love some more if you're willing to share.

Daft pun

• Curry sauce
  • hugs not ughs
« Reply #94 on: 14 Sep 2012, 19:35 »

http://www.mixcloud.com/wijnwijnwijn/surfers-paradise-lost/

Figured someone on these boards might like this. It's summery and surfy with some angsty undertones I guess. Well maybe overtones in some places.

Australian Gold Coast hedonism meets the alienation of Milton's epic. Familiar elements of authentic beach culture filtered through a Lynchian lens; a bleak and gloomy subversion of carefree subtropical life. Deadbeat dejection under the smoldering sun. Via the uncanniness of living Down Under and languorously lush summer days during supposedly cold winter months. Or: just enjoy the chill tunes bro. Whatever.

Link Wray - Rumble
Dick Dale & His Del-Tones - Banzai Washout
Veronica Falls - Beachy Head
Girls Names - Seance On A Wet Afternoon
The Raveonettes - Beat City
No Joy - Hawaii
Heroin in Tahiti - Sartana
Trailer Trash Tracys - Candy Girl
The Soft Moon - Dead Love
DIIV - Doused
Dirty Beaches - Golden Desert Sun
All this won't do you any good; you cannot return to the moon!

Daft pun

• Curry sauce
  • hugs not ughs
« Reply #95 on: 21 Sep 2012, 12:14 »

http://www.mixcloud.com/wijnwijnwijn/true-adventures/

Same summery atmosphere, less gloom, more of a story to it.

Turgid calls the winter charge
True adventures of awaking hearts;
Nights are overwhelmed by gloom,
We will see foxes and the moon.
Valleys drop, mountains rise,
Lift your head, brave the skies.

The Lucksmiths - A Hiccup In Your Happiness
Shout Out Louds - Normandie
Jens Lekman - Maple Leaves
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Saint Etienne - Spring (Air France remix)
The Radio Dept. - Heaven's On Fire
Air France - It Feels Good To Be Around You
Korallreven - Loved-Up
The Radio Dept. - Messy Enough
Memoryhouse - The Kids Were Wrong
All this won't do you any good; you cannot return to the moon!

ADRIAN WOODHOUSE

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #96 on: 24 Oct 2012, 04:43 »

a autumn mixtape :

http://www.mediafire.com/?u5w8zbjebobx1ar
tracklist:

KIRA KIRA - beach box disasters
SUMMER CAMP - ghost train
BALMORHEA - greyish tapering ash
THE BOOKS - free translator
TUNNG - with whiskey
KIMYA DAWSON - solid and strong
TOPS - VII Babies
DEAD MAN'S BONES - pa pa power
CHRIS GARNEAU - dirty night clowns
THREE MILE PILOT - planets
LIARS - no. 1 against the rush
BIG SPIDER'S BACK - black chow
DIRTY PROJECTORS - gun has no trigger
WHY? - as a card
THEE MORE SHALLOWS - night at the knight school
SERENGETI - cubes
BAT FOR LASHES - daniel
GRIMES - crystal ball
FEVER RAY - dry and dusty
PARENTHETICAL GIRLS - this regrettable end

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #97 on: 10 Dec 2012, 23:03 »

I made this for a friend I hadn't talked to in three years. We had a beer at a pub, caught up, and realized that we had each completely changed. We both took a three year hiatus from making music and only started up again this past summer. This is the playlist I sent him a few weeks after the conversation since 1/2 of the conversation was "what are you listening to now???"

#backhairmohawk - http://open.spotify.com/user/1217258242/playlist/5LMYogVHCn41y7wxR5ItSr
This is a Flag. There Is No Wind - Los Campesinos
Millie Christine - Wussy
Marathon Runner - Yellow Ostrich
Kelly - When Saints Go Machine
Stay Useless - Cloud Nothings
The Silver Mountain - Screaming Maldini
Got 2 Know - Flux Pavilion
Eighth Avenue - Hospitality
1957 - Milo Greene
More Like Them - Lydia Loveless
Young Blood - The Naked and Famous
You vs Everything - Johnny Foreigner
Thank God You Weren't Thirsty (Lightbulb) - Fight Like Apes
this was written by hand - David Lang
Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

Petula

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #98 on: 18 Dec 2012, 06:08 »

Wow! Thanks for posting all that music! That's amazing - I've heard so many new songs by now! Now I will sit down and make up my mind to create my own little mixtape...
World Power is all I want.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
  • I've got fireflies where my caution should be.
« Reply #99 on: 16 Mar 2013, 04:30 »

So it seems this thread hasn't been posted on for a good few months, but guys, your mixes are awesome!

I thought I'd share one that I made recently :-D I love making mixes for my friends, and I put WAY too much time into them, so the more people that get to enjoy them the better! So here it is: 16 tracks, ~60 minutes long. I made the cover art from two pictures I took at the coast last summer. I'm particularly fond of the third track! Hope you guys enjoy :wink:

Sorry about the tracklist screenshot, but it is like 4:30 in the a.m., and there is no way I'm typing it all out, hah.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lsnpu3shl7ocm
I don't really know how mediafire works, so I don't think the tracks are in the right order, but you can also stream it here, with a few minor tweaks to the song list: http://8tracks.com/robinlovesrain/drifter-shape-shifter
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up