THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante's Inferno  (Read 36580 times)

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
Dante's Inferno
« on: 24 Mar 2009, 13:11 »

No, I did not put this in the wrong subtopic.

They are actually making a game based around Dante's Inferno

The Glutton Monster looks pretty great.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
Re: Dante's Inferno
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2009, 13:19 »

Made by EA?  Pass.  DRM will probably be one of the levels.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2009, 13:34 »

why
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2009, 14:07 »

I don't understand why they named it Dante's Inferno, but I do think the game could turn out pretty great.

I'll just forever be confused about the naming.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2009, 14:55 »

Man this looks awful. This offends me. Why would they turn Inferno into a Ninja Gaiden/God of War knockoff?
Hate, rain on me

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2009, 15:55 »

Just guessing...

In the 9th level, you have to fight Satan, who will, as the fight progresses, drop first Cassius and Brutus, then Judas, each of whom you'll have to fight.

Cassius and Brutus will work together to try and make it so one of them can stab you in the back.  Judas will have three special moves; the first is his kiss of death, which drains you of life and refills him, the second is his noose, with which he chokes you, and the third is his special rain of silver, in which he throws thirty silver shards at you.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2009, 16:02 »

Or they will not appear in the game at all. I have a feeling the people who made this game read an extremely brief description, hence Dante being a hardass with a scythe, and Virgil being nowhere in sight.
Hate, rain on me

ackblom12

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2009, 16:06 »

Or perhaps, in the more likely case, the game actually has nothing to do with Dante's Inferno. The game very likely was originally probably not based on Dante's Inferno any more than it was on any other christian mythology, but some dumbass in the marketing department thought this would be a good idea.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2009, 17:41 »

He's using a fucking cross as a weapon in the trailer...

Pass.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2009, 18:19 »

That's a pretty dumb reason to pass on it.  Just sayin'.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2009, 18:39 »

Looks fun to me.

God of War was an entirely absurd use of Greek mythology, this is an entirely absurd use of Christian mythology. I'm very okay with that.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2009, 19:23 »

This game fails unless it has the song by Iced Earth of the same name in it.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2009, 19:23 »

Yeah this is probably "loosely inspired by" as in they took all the hellish imagery and just amplified it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2009, 20:36 »

God of War was fun though, and looked cool. This looks like a blatant God of War rip off.
Hate, rain on me

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2009, 21:03 »

Movies based very loosely on pseudo-Christian mythology have a great tendency to suck*.  Increasing faithfulness changes where the suck occurs.  Video games follow the same trend.  Unless they throw in something amazing, the game will be a pile of cliché shit.  Just like all the other Christian crap. Either you're trying too hard one way or you're trying too hard the other**.  Either way, you suck.

*  I'm including Kevin Smith's Dogma in that list.  "Excremental" was amusing, the rest of the movie was blah.

** Trying to please the faithful == Moses' Bible Stories.  Trying to please the pubescent == DUDE ZOMG FUCKING KILLING SATAN WITH A CROSS.  Neither is made of win.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2009, 21:06 »

Watch Brimstone.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2009, 21:13 »

If it plays well, I'm probably not going to give a damn about accuracy to the mythology.  God of War was pretty bad about it, but I didn't care, because it was fun to play.  As far as I can tell, they are really just using the 9 Circles of Hell as a setting, and until we know more about the story, that might be all it has in common with Dante's Inferno.  This is more or less what God of War did, anyways, use the mythology for setting and make up their own pseudo-mythology with characters from the original pseudo-mythology. mythology
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2009, 21:52 »

I think this is the same team that hammered out Dead Space, so I imagine it will be a fun game with a mildly engaging story that loses steam at the end.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2009, 21:54 »

I think this is a pretty cool idea. It doesn't look graphically very good and I have no idea how the overall execution is going to be but Inferno has tons of cool material that would make for some inventive, fun levels, monsters and bosses. There's a lot to work with and a creative team could make something very awesome. I'm not sure that'll happen but even if it is merely a GoW knockoff, it could still be fun.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2009, 22:33 »

This looks completely horrible.  Both as a concept and as a game.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2009, 22:54 »

As far as I can tell, they are really just using the 9 Circles of Hell as a setting, and until we know more about the story, that might be all it has in common with Dante's Inferno.  This is more or less what God of War did, anyways, use the mythology for setting and make up their own pseudo-mythology with characters from the original pseudo-mythology. mythology

The difference is that God of War was called God of War and not, say, Homer's Oddysey. I'm not a Christian so I'm not too fussed about the co-opting of Christian mythology in this game - it's the insult to literature that annoys me!

Oh and that stupid giant scythe thing. Does he also shout out "MY PENIS IS ENORMOUS!" as his battle-cry?

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2009, 01:41 »

Quote from: you guys
Christian Mythology

Is The Divine Comedy really official Christian lore? I thought the belief in hell/the inferno as Dante described it died out the last century, if not even before that. Is this really anything else than all the other games based on books?

I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2009, 02:58 »

Oh shit guys

Dante's Inferno was a poem. Now it's not only a game, but a movie as well, with the movie based not on the poem, but on the game based on the poem.

Sigh.

Anyway, this movie now has a writer. And that writer is...Mr. Dan Harris. Who aside from writing comics for both Marvel & DC also co-wrote X-Men 2 and...Superman Returns. Which means, at the very least, he's got a track record! Even if that track record involves taking otherwise sound franchises and making boring movies out of them.

Oh fuck

Oh crap
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #23 on: 25 Mar 2009, 04:49 »

Wow. That might end up being the worst thing that ever was in the history of bad things.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #24 on: 25 Mar 2009, 05:13 »

Guys this game could be so fucking good  if you got to keep on going fighting your way through the rest of the Divine Comedy through the terraces and spheres until you get to Kick Gods ass and make your own creation where you're surrounded by hot babes
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #25 on: 25 Mar 2009, 07:40 »

Wanna play a game that sets itself up as a God of War clone but actually winds up strongly reflecting the themes, tone and narrative of Inferno in a sudden reversal of expectations

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #26 on: 25 Mar 2009, 08:33 »

Well, I mean, it looks like Beatrice is in the game to me, so that's...a...thing?

Look, dudes, let's face it. The Divine Comedy is badass. It really is. Both in imagery and just the sheer fact that Dante Aligheri was a dude who was like "fuck you guys, I'm going to invent the entire afterlife, use it as a narrative to explore the sins and redemption of man, to mack on a lady, to hate on my enemies, and do it all in the vernacular, in sharp contrast to the rest of you fucks who dig on Latin"

I think the fact that this is the first game based on it is nothing short of mindblowing to me.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #27 on: 25 Mar 2009, 09:08 »

yeah but the thing is that the only sharp thing dante aligheri took to hell was his wits

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #28 on: 25 Mar 2009, 18:30 »

Oh shit guys

Dante's Inferno was a poem. Now it's not only a game, but a movie as well, with the movie based not on the poem, but on the game based on the poem.

Sigh.

Anyway, this movie now has a writer. And that writer is...Mr. Dan Harris. Who aside from writing comics for both Marvel & DC also co-wrote X-Men 2 and...Superman Returns. Which means, at the very least, he's got a track record! Even if that track record involves taking otherwise sound franchises and making boring movies out of them.

Oh fuck

Oh crap
Hey X-Men 2 was the best X-Men.

and Superman had to be boring as you can't turn lead into gold.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 25 Mar 2009, 18:31 »

Yeah, X2 rocks and you can't blame anyone for a crappy Superman.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #30 on: 25 Mar 2009, 18:37 »

I'm just seeing how far it's going willing to take the whole idea of promoting Christianity. I don't want to spark a religious dispute so I'll just say this; as the human race is becoming more advance, not saying that it's ever going to stop, the idea of religion has become more of a burden than a way to move society in a positive direction. There are statistics for this, catholicism is clearly not as popular as it was let's say fifty years ago. This can be seen in direct proportionality, so you ask yourself, is this a trend that'll die out? I think not.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #31 on: 25 Mar 2009, 18:39 »

Wait.

What?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Nodaisho

« Reply #32 on: 25 Mar 2009, 19:56 »

Yeah, pretty much. Discuss is over there. Religion will always be there, because regardless of any truth behind it, some people need to believe in something. Most people do, I would say. For some people, that ends up being religion, and barring banning it, I don't think that will change in the least.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #33 on: 25 Mar 2009, 20:58 »

I'm just seeing how far it's going willing to take the whole idea of promoting Christianity.

Who said they were trying to promote it?

Nodaisho

« Reply #34 on: 25 Mar 2009, 21:37 »

That's true. I never got around to reading it when I checked it out, but from what I understand, some people seem to have been eternally damned over little things, which makes God seem like a dick.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #35 on: 26 Mar 2009, 04:45 »

The difference is that God of War was called God of War and not, say, Homer's Oddysey. I'm not a Christian so I'm not too fussed about the co-opting of Christian mythology in this game - it's the insult to literature that annoys me!

Oh and that stupid giant scythe thing. Does he also shout out "MY PENIS IS ENORMOUS!" as his battle-cry?

Really? Because to me it looks like a re-interpretation of a piece of art. Something which happens a lot to ... art. Certainly this is a new medium for that to happen in but the principle seems to be the same as, for instance, L.H.O.O.Q. by Duchamp.

Also: don't you yell that when you enter battle? I do and, boy, ... does it work!
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #36 on: 26 Mar 2009, 05:43 »

Yeah, but there's a difference between "reinterpretation" and "co-opting the name and sticking it onto something that bears almost no resemblance to the original apart from being set in hell". So far the game looks like the latter.

I mean it's like if they made a computer game set in the Vietnam war, and the called it Apocalypse Now, and the first promotional video of the game had the main character parachuting into the Vietnamese jungle carrying two mini-guns and mowing down hundreds of Viet-cong single-handedly before progressing onto a boss fight with a tank-driving Ho Chi Minh.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #37 on: 26 Mar 2009, 06:04 »

True, but would be funny as hell.

Yeah. You can't really say anything right now on the basis of the information available. We'll just wait and see what it resembles then.
My Art.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #38 on: 26 Mar 2009, 08:47 »

Yeah, but there's a difference between "reinterpretation" and "co-opting the name and sticking it onto something that bears almost no resemblance to the original apart from being set in hell". So far the game looks like the latter.

I mean it's like if they made a computer game set in the Vietnam war, and the called it Apocalypse Now, and the first promotional video of the game had the main character parachuting into the Vietnamese jungle carrying two mini-guns and mowing down hundreds of Viet-cong single-handedly before progressing onto a boss fight with a tank-driving Ho Chi Minh.

That sounds pretty excellent.

Let's make it a cyborg Ho Chi Minh and, also, there's a lot of bad feelings about Nam still, so let's make it set in an alternate timeline where they were being aided by alien forces that turned the Vietcong into super zombies. That should make people feel better.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #39 on: 26 Mar 2009, 08:58 »

Make him a mecha-Ho Chi Minh and I'd buy that game in an instant
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #40 on: 26 Mar 2009, 10:01 »

Wait, hold on, strike the alien bit.

They were aided by future, time traveling Communists who are attempting to go to key points in history to advance the communist agenda in four dimensions.

That way we can make it a franchise.

Also, even though I'm taking the piss, I really want to play the fuck out of this now. I miss video games being so ridiculously absurd in awesome ways, like Wolfenstein 3D or even Ecco the Dolphin.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #41 on: 26 Mar 2009, 10:51 »

Just backing up a bit, it's absolutely absurd and illogical to think that a hyper-violent action game such as this will be is in any way promoting Christianity. The devs are co-opting a book's setting. They thought the version of Hell Dante created would translate into some cool game levels. I can guarantee that's the extent of their interest. Just because GoW has members of the Greek pantheon doesn't mean the devs are trying to promote worshiping Zeus. That this game is not promoting Christianity in any way could not be more obvious.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

sean

• welp
« Reply #42 on: 26 Mar 2009, 11:43 »

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

Also, they could of at least let you play as Virgil. I mean, Dante faints.

a lot
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #43 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:13 »

I'm just seeing how far it's going willing to take the whole idea of promoting Christianity.

Did you watch the preview?

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #44 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:16 »

man that comment plus the stupid shepard fairey avatar are just really making me not like you

Elaborate.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #45 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:29 »

I watched the preview, and I fail to see how they're promoting Christianity.  They're definitely using it for setting, but outside of that it did not seem to have much of anything to do with it.  It takes place in Hell, he has a cross as a weapon.  That's about it.

Also, quote both posts in your reply instead of doing two separate replies, it cuts down on unnecessary clutter. 

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 26 Mar 2009, 16:20 »

Okay guys, I like the way this Apocalypse Now game is coming along. What we need now is a vaguely meaningless sub-heading and a catchy tagline. To indicate the time-travel theme I was thinking maybe Apocalypse Now: Future Shock Reckoning with the tagline being "Burn the country - to save history!!" It's very important to have two exclamation marks.

Who wants to design the front cover for the box?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #47 on: 26 Mar 2009, 16:25 »

Shepard Fairey.

*Fuck you new page
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2009, 00:07 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Nodaisho

« Reply #48 on: 26 Mar 2009, 23:22 »

Did you watch the preview?

I did. Both of them. The first one you might have the tiniest bit of an argument for, but I don't see anything inaccurate in the history, and the use of heresy as one of the levels of hell is accurate to the setting. Is using a cross as a weapon what you are talking about? I bet it's all kinds of fun to watch Dracula with you, isn't it?

Ozy, you know that Shellshock 2 is doing the Vietnam zombies thing, right? You might want to reconsider that part to avoid them suing you. Unless you get Paramount to back you, in which case you are golden.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #49 on: 27 Mar 2009, 00:55 »

... seriously, Vietnam zombies???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=18717095

Wow, fuck ... Vietnam zombies ...
My Art.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up