THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante's Inferno  (Read 36586 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Dante's Inferno
« Reply #50 on: 27 Mar 2009, 02:22 »

apocalypse WOW!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #51 on: 27 Mar 2009, 04:00 »

Shepard Fairey.

*Fuck you new page

He'll take the original movie poster and hit "posterize" in Photoshop and voila National Fucking Portrait Gallery
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #52 on: 28 Mar 2009, 03:14 »

Don't be silly Warhol used the GIMP

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #53 on: 29 Mar 2009, 19:11 »

I'd rock the Bad Brains SK8-HI.

As for that print: So, what did Shephard Fairey actually do for that poster? Except you know, put it up on his website and charge $120 for it

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #54 on: 30 Mar 2009, 02:13 »

A bunch of people, apparently. Website says it's sold out.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #55 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:16 »

Because the only thing more reliable than entropy is irony?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #56 on: 30 Mar 2009, 09:41 »

Dude!  I'm sooooo fucking there!!  (note the two exclamation points)

**Goes off to design the box**

:lol:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #57 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:33 »

« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2009, 18:10 by Blue Kitty »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #58 on: 30 Mar 2009, 13:41 »

Dead Space also got a cartoon. Numerous EA properties have gotten comics. It's part of a holistic business model EA is trying out I guess.

I like that creature concept. Lovecraftian, it is. I might just use it with my Arkham Horror game.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2009, 13:44 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #59 on: 31 Mar 2009, 15:40 »

Inferno is a pretty cool guy. eh kills dimons and doesn't afraid of anything.

(Sorry if that's overused.)

I watched one of the trailers, and it looks like they gave The Divine Comedy to Don Simpson or some other bombastic Hollywood producer, and it came out (trailer voice) "Midway through the journey of our lives, Dante found himself in Hell...AND FOUGHT HIS WAY BACK OUT!"

It does seem like the connections to Dante are just a dusting of literary reference to make the monster-slaying look deep.

Look, dudes, let's face it. The Divine Comedy is badass. It really is. Both in imagery and just the sheer fact that Dante Aligheri was a dude who was like "fuck you guys, I'm going to invent the entire afterlife, use it as a narrative to explore the sins and redemption of man, to mack on a lady, to hate on my enemies, and do it all in the vernacular, in sharp contrast to the rest of you fucks who dig on Latin"

This I like.

... this is the first game based on it ...

It turns out that's not true. I hope it's better than this one appears to be though.

Oh man, they're making a cartoon

Wait: "EA are serious enough about this "new intellectual property" thing with Dante's Inferno to go making cartoons." EA owns Dante now? Surely not.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2009, 15:45 by Doug S. Machina »
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #60 on: 31 Mar 2009, 20:15 »

I'm pretty sure no one holds the rights to it, it's been around so long that it's fair game.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #61 on: 31 Mar 2009, 20:19 »

No, yeah, the Alighieri family has a 700 year old copyright that they sold to EA last year.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #62 on: 01 Apr 2009, 05:00 »

Yeah but Jens how could they copyright themselves?

(See what I did there?)

(It's 'cause numerous people keep saying EA is the devil)

(I honestly don't really mind them either way)
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

lolwut

« Reply #63 on: 05 Apr 2009, 05:34 »

Is The Divine Comedy really official Christian lore?

It's fanfiction.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #64 on: 05 Apr 2009, 10:16 »

CRIBS PRETTY HEAVILY FROM STEPHEN KING IF YOU ASK ME

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #65 on: 05 Apr 2009, 10:28 »

Maybe if you offered constructive criticism, I could IMPROVE future drafts!
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #66 on: 05 Apr 2009, 13:36 »

Is The Divine Comedy really official Christian lore?

It's fanfiction.

Oh man. I just finished a comp lit class where the professor spent all quarter teaching Christianity through Faust and Paradise Lost, and this is exactly what I was trying to make him understand the entire time.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #67 on: 16 Jan 2010, 01:30 »

BUMPED FROM THE DEPTHS OF HELLLLLL

After a playthrough of the demo, this is the conversation I had with my girlfriend

"ARGH FUCKING FUCK THIS FUCKING GAME IT IS SO STUPID"

"So you're not buying it?"

"...I may"

translation: If you value literature at all this may make you actually tear yr hair out, but it's also pretty fun!

Also, you kind of have to laugh a this.

(because if you don't you are guaranteed to cry, and never stop crying)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #68 on: 16 Jan 2010, 01:33 »

The demo never goes five minutes without sight of bare breasts

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #69 on: 16 Jan 2010, 01:34 »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #70 on: 16 Jan 2010, 02:15 »

Man, I know that I was negative about the concept of this game earlier, but I just want to clarify that I really hope this game is a dismal failure and perhaps that there is some kind of curse that befalls everyone involved with the project, because fuck this game.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #71 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:14 »

Dunno, it's primarily the Dead Space guys, I think. I could really give less a fuck about this game (how people could get their panties in a bunch over this and laud something like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is beyond me) but EA Redwood Shores are good for nothing if not art design.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #72 on: 16 Jan 2010, 08:59 »

Dunno, it's primarily the Dead Space guys, I think. I could really give less a fuck about this game (how people could get their panties in a bunch over this and laud something like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is beyond me) but EA Redwood Shores are good for nothing if not art design.

The Dante's Inferno people think they're doing the book a service.  The guy who did Pride and Prejudice and Zombies know he's a hack.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #73 on: 16 Jan 2010, 19:57 »

Do they? Alls I can tell is that they don't really have a lot of respect for their source material, which you could say for P&P&Z. The book release thing is kind of ridiculous but no more ridiculous than the game itself, or games in general. Besides, I would imagine that's more EA's call than the developers'.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 16 Jan 2010, 20:06 »

The demo was fun.

That Moby Dick thing also looks like it would be fun.

People shouldn't get their dicks in a wad so much.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #75 on: 16 Jan 2010, 20:23 »

Srsly, what's wrong with ripping dudes up with a scythe? 

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #76 on: 16 Jan 2010, 20:32 »

Nothing really, but everything I've seen about the game has served to make it look more and more exploitative of the source material, women & general stupidity.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #77 on: 16 Jan 2010, 21:52 »

Honestly, the fact that it's called Dante's Inferno makes me cringe a little.  The audience they're aiming for does not care that it's based on the poem.  And then there are the few people who hate the game because of the name.  They could have called it something else.  I wouldn't suggest any names but I'm sure they could have thought of something.  The game is a freaking God of War clone made by the guys who did Dead Space.  It's going to do well.

In the end though, I'm going to pick it up.  Being a PS3 owner, I get the awesome Divine Edition by default.  Plus Visceral is amazing with their environment and I think they'll do a great job portraying Hell. 

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #78 on: 17 Jan 2010, 18:28 »

The difference is that God of War was called God of War and not, say, Homer's Oddysey.

This, still.

Plus, what fucking retards are lauding Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #79 on: 18 Jan 2010, 10:28 »

Personally, I don't really care that it's called "Dante's Inferno" or that it "deviates from the source material" or whatever...I'm all for reimagining and reworking classics.....but unfortunately this game sucks so it's moot anyway. I couldn't even finish the demo because controlling Dante felt like controlling a schizophrenic slot car made of rotting meat. Okay, I don't really know what that means, but the point is that I didn't find anything particularly enjoyable about the demo.

...besides the boobs, obviously.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ikrik

« Reply #80 on: 18 Jan 2010, 14:36 »

Did we play the same demo? I thought, if anything, the controls were super-tight.  My biggest problem was that the controls are IDENTICAL to God of War.  Everything, from grabs, heavy/light attacks, dodging.  It just seemed that they put in different animations to the same moves.  The cross does change things a little bit and I'm hoping it will be different enough. 

The boobs were...interesting.  I've seen probably 90% of the developer diaries for the game and they almost always are like "we're being completely respectful of the source material.  It's going to be true to the story and the characters."  And so when I played the demo and saw tits I was like "oh, ok. Guess they were full of shit." 

ackblom12

« Reply #81 on: 18 Jan 2010, 14:43 »

I would think the moment you heard the basis of the game that that was absolute bullshit. Unless there was an entire section of the poem that I missed that included Dante as a bad ass who also didn't faint everytime something happened.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2010, 14:54 by ackblom12 »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #82 on: 18 Jan 2010, 14:50 »

Did we play the same demo?

Probably not. One thing can be dramatically different for different people so it's not too hard to imagine that we took away completely different impressions from the same thing.
For example, the Dark Void demo that most people seemed to find underwhelming at best and god-awful at worst, I found to be incredibly enjoyable and have been playing it somewhat regularly since I downloaded it a week or so ago.

Anyway, one of my main problems with this particular game was that dodging was assigned to the right stick leaving me with my dick in my hand while trying (and failing) to move the camera around (which may or may not even be possible, I can't remember). Maybe my memory is fuzzy and GoW was like this too but I dunno...it just didn't feel good to move Dante around.

You know what, I'm gonna give the demo another go when I get home, see how I feel about it this time around.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #83 on: 18 Jan 2010, 19:47 »

You can't move the camera in DI or GoW. Dodging is the right stick in both games.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ikrik

« Reply #84 on: 18 Jan 2010, 22:15 »

Mapping the right stick to dodge works very, very well in God of War.  There are almost no instances when you need to navigate the camera around to get a better vantage angle.  I would prefer for Dante's Inferno to have manual camera control.  Playing the demo just an hour ago I'm still impressed with the game...but it feels weird.  Like someone dressing up and acting just like your girlfriend, only you know it's not.  And considering my dismal money situation I think I might just pass on this.  Unless I get myself a job.  Which I'm planning to.  Sometime this month...or next.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #85 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:38 »

Truth.

A fixed/game-controlled camera was one of God of War's strengths mostly because it enabled all of those really amazing parts of the game where the camera would zoom out or pan upwards and you'd get this really amazing vista (like when he is standing on a precipice watching Aries fuck shit up in the town below or when you are about to enter the large desert section). It could've potentially sucked but the makers of GoW not only handled it competently, but made it an asset to the game.

As opposed to the DI demo where it is flubbed to a bewildering degree, like in a section where you are in a narrow hallway and the camera assumes this strange position above and slightly behind the player, thus making it impossible to see what is actually in front of you in this narrow hallway with very little room to move and thus dodge anybody who tries to kill you.

Also why wouldn't they use the same controls as GoW? Nobody complains that practically every single PC shooter has the same controls. To the contrary, it's great, because who the fuck wants to learn a new set of controls for every dang-ole game they play?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #86 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:47 »

Because what are you talking about this is a completely original game that has nothing to do with GoW.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #87 on: 19 Jan 2010, 12:54 »

Just like, say, Modern Warfare is a "completely original game that has nothing to do with" Half Life?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Ikrik

« Reply #88 on: 19 Jan 2010, 17:53 »

Errr....Because comparing a first person shooter's controls with a button-mashers controls is totally fine.  If you had two fighting games where all the characters from one game played exactly like all the characters from another game, there would be a problem.  Yes, there are similarities but when you press the buttons they'll do very different things.  A first person shooter does not depend on the controls in the same way that a combat game does. 

The issue that I have is not that the controls on the controller are the same.  It's that the inputs are almost completely identical.  It's like they just copied and pasted the exact same attacks and just changed the character model and weapon.  When I press Triangle Triangle Square in Dante's Inferno I do not want it to behave exactly the same way as it does in God of War.  The problem is that it does behave in exactly the same way.

And every single time I start thinking of dodging using the right stick, all I can think of is how awesome it is to dodge in Bayonetta.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #89 on: 19 Jan 2010, 22:52 »

This game's story sucks, P&P&Z is a book for people who don't "get" McSweeney's, I also hate God of War's story.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #90 on: 19 Jan 2010, 23:01 »

I really wanna know what Warren Ellis had in mind when he wrote for Dead Space.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #91 on: 20 Jan 2010, 00:21 »

Probably a draft very focused on the necromorphs. That's all I can think of.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #92 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:53 »

I just downloaded and played the demo. The dodge thing is a little weird but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. The Divine Comedy thing is pretty silly but I guess they're considering "staying close to the source material" as having the circles of hell in the right order and maybe getting the names right. Frankly I'm ok with everything else (and I like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and will be buying Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters when I have the chance) even if it is slightly (very) silly. This game may or may not even see release here if it has boobs and this much blood anyway.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #93 on: 20 Jan 2010, 06:17 »

I think all the problems everyone is having with this game would be solved if it was called Dante's Infernorama.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2010, 07:12 by Inlander »

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #94 on: 20 Jan 2010, 18:22 »

I played through the demo last night and I have two major complaints; 1. (the obvious one) it has fuck all to do with Dante's Inferno... and 2. It's damned near impossible to read ANYTHING on a standard definition screen.

Otherwise it seems like it could be quite fun. Maybe it will tide me over until GoW comes out.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #95 on: 21 Jan 2010, 11:02 »

And every single time I start thinking of dodging using the right stick, all I can think of is how awesome it is to dodge in Bayonetta.

i hope that nail has health insurance, because you just hit it on the head

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #96 on: 21 Jan 2010, 20:54 »

Looks like I'm gettin' the Bayonetta demo, then.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #97 on: 21 Jan 2010, 23:13 »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up