THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: fantasy baseball  (Read 75849 times)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
Re: fantasy baseball
« Reply #100 on: 31 Mar 2009, 22:04 »

My only question about the autopick drafting is, will I end up with the right amount of players for each position?  As in, my autodraft will get me as many players for each position as I need to actually play in a game?

I've done a fantasy football autodraft and ended up with like five quarterbacks, a receiver, a defense and a kicker, and had to do some serious retooling before I was disqualified.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #101 on: 01 Apr 2009, 00:04 »

My only question about the autopick drafting is, will I end up with the right amount of players for each position?  As in, my autodraft will get me as many players for each position as I need to actually play in a game?

I've done a fantasy football autodraft and ended up with like five quarterbacks, a receiver, a defense and a kicker, and had to do some serious retooling before I was disqualified.

It's been a while since I've done this, but I am nearly certain that the computer drafts to fill every spot on your roster. So for instance, if for some reason the top 7 players available when you draft are all first basemen, then the computer will draft all of them (1 for your first base spot, all 3 utility spots, and all 3 bench spots), but then it will draft so that every spot on the rest of your roster is filled. So in other words, you will at least have somebody at every position. Obviously, the scenario I posed was highly unlikely, but there is a chance that you may end up with some higher-profile benched players than you have at certain positions just because the computer drafted based on value rather than position. But, this isn't necessarily a horrible disadvantage, because you can then use those players as trade bait with someone else who may have a similar weakness at different positions.

Also, I'm still waiting on email addresses from John and Shane. Everyone else has claimed their team, although one person hasn't changed their name from its default.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #102 on: 01 Apr 2009, 08:32 »

4 or 5pm Eastern is i'm guessing 9 or 10pm UK? If thats right, that is absolutely fine for me.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #103 on: 01 Apr 2009, 08:43 »

I actually tested out the ESPN mock draft on Sunday night and it went pretty smoothly. I got bored of it after a while, though, and ditched after the seventeenth round. I can confirm that autopick will, in fact, draft positions you need instead of just drafting seven center fielders (Either that or my team was the result of major coincidence).

John, have you been actively researching? It might be bumpable up to that early, but I'd rather not make everyone do that if you're going to end up doing autopick anyway. If you set up for autopick, you won't actively have to be present, even if we opt for live draft.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #104 on: 01 Apr 2009, 17:09 »

Friday sounds good for me.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #105 on: 01 Apr 2009, 20:21 »

OK, is everyone besides Dazed and SilentJ available on Friday?

Shane, hurry up and accept your invite you goddamn slacker.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #106 on: 02 Apr 2009, 04:58 »

Accepted. How does one change their team name?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #107 on: 02 Apr 2009, 08:48 »

Go to Edit Team Settings.  It's under the My Team tab
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #108 on: 02 Apr 2009, 10:48 »

Okay, so it's looking like tomorrow at 3 or 4 PM is the overall consensus. Any objections? Any preferences of which? I'll vote for 3 PM.
JON MADE ME GAY

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #109 on: 02 Apr 2009, 16:15 »

K, I set my autodraft order thing, I'll see if I can maybe get on tomorrow for the live thing.... doubtful, but I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Interesting note, according to the pre-ranking thing, David Ortiz does not exist. I didn't check to see if it did that to all pure DHs, but blah.
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2009, 16:26 by Dazed »
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #110 on: 02 Apr 2009, 16:33 »

I went ahead and set the draft for 4:15 EST tomorrow, to make it a little easier on us further west. If people want it earlier, I can move it up to 3:00 or 3:30.

Been working on my draft spreadsheet myself, I've ranked most of the infield positions at this point. Hopefully I've still got it, I used to be pretty good at this but it's been a while and I was better at football anyway.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #111 on: 02 Apr 2009, 19:28 »

I'm not really doing anything more complicated than taking conventional wisdom and then acknowledging that striking out=bad. Things like BB more or less take care of themselves over the course of a season once you establish someone can hit without striking out, after all. I figure my top picks probably won't look much different than those from a standard 5x5 roto league; a good player is a good player, generally speaking. It's later on when you need to rely on a few scrubs to round out the team that puzzles me. Unlike in roto I can't just fearlessly grab a few guys who mostly suck but randomly crap out a few dingers at the end of the draft and expect it to help.
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2009, 19:34 by Alex C »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #112 on: 02 Apr 2009, 19:55 »

Everyone, I've made a last minute change to the roster setup. I know it's last minute, but it's pretty minor and I think it should just make things easier for everyone anyway

The roster setup has been changed to just have 9 general pitcher slots rather than 6 starter slots and 3 for relievers. I was thinking about this a lot while going through my own rankings, and I realized that there are only between 20 and 30 relievers that anybody really knows anything about at all, and everything beyond that is pretty much a crapshoot. I figure that since we still have Saves Plus Holds as a scoring category, there is still an incentive to draft relief pitchers, and at a certain point it makes more sense to draft a good reliever over a mediocre starter from an ERA and innings pitched perspective as well.

Like I said, I apologize for the short notice, but I think it's a small adjustment that just benefits everyone in the long run anyway.

And once more for clarity, the live draft is currently set for 4:15 PM EST (GMT -5) tomorrow. If you have any issues with this time and want it to be moved earlier, please bring it up with me as soon as possible. I should be awake for the next 6 hours or so, but after I go to sleep it's pretty much locked in stone.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #113 on: 02 Apr 2009, 19:56 »

I might be a little late for the first couple of rounds.  I'm going to see the MSO around 11, so I should be back around 3 CT.  But I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to a computer

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #114 on: 02 Apr 2009, 22:00 »

I don't mind that change at all Bryan; the bullpen boys are notorious for getting yanked around in terms of innings anyway, so in the name of sanity I'm pretty much OK with giving them the short end of the stick in terms of overall importance. Which, really, is kind of funny since the late '90s version of Mariano Rivera was so good that you felt like your team was pretty much doomed if he came out while the Yankees had the lead.
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2009, 22:02 by Alex C »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #115 on: 03 Apr 2009, 02:32 »

Alright, I'm about to go to bed now and nobody's said anything about the draft time, so once again it will be at 4:15 PM EST (1:15 PM PST) tomorrow.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #116 on: 03 Apr 2009, 05:00 »

Autopick for me, then. >>
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #117 on: 03 Apr 2009, 09:49 »

Yo dudes, sorry I've been unresponsive. 4.15EDT today is good for me.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #118 on: 03 Apr 2009, 12:26 »

For the record, the draft room is now open. You can enter, see the draft order (I have 11th pick, you motherfuckers), and organize your list if you'd like.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #119 on: 03 Apr 2009, 13:05 »

I'd log in but I can't remember my Member Name and the servers that are supposed to remind you are down.

I will continue trying for the next half hour or so.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #120 on: 03 Apr 2009, 13:10 »

John, your member name is KidvanPervert. You have first pick too, you lucky bastard.

T-minus 5 minutes to start guys.

And it's on! John, you're on the clock so I hope you remember your password.
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2009, 13:15 by Storm Rider »

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #121 on: 03 Apr 2009, 14:19 »

The boss started hanging around the lab, and I would pretty much get fired straight up if I was seen playing Fantasy Baseball on the clock, so I'm out for the day. I made two picks for myself at least. I wanted to draft Geronimo Gill :[
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #122 on: 03 Apr 2009, 15:35 »

That's rad. Albert Pujols!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #123 on: 03 Apr 2009, 15:41 »

Yeah, it's all over now. For the record, both Jon and his brother are dead to me for stealing Ellsbury and Lincecum, respectively.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #124 on: 03 Apr 2009, 15:41 »

If you remember, Jon specifically banned you from drafting Lincecum.

edit: James you bastard, you got Masterson!
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2009, 16:37 by valley_parade »

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #125 on: 03 Apr 2009, 21:22 »

Yeah, but have you seen my outfield? Garret fucking Anderson is my highlight. Bloody autodraft

I did get Beckett, Lester, and Pedroia though. Whoo sox.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #126 on: 03 Apr 2009, 21:29 »

I need a better first baseman and one more good reliever. Apart from that I'm pretty happy with my team, all told.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #127 on: 03 Apr 2009, 22:17 »

Yeah I'm pretty sure the first baseman I got is not going to start for a while

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #128 on: 04 Apr 2009, 06:08 »

I need a better first baseman and one more good reliever. Apart from that I'm pretty happy with my team, all told.

I do have Laroche. I need to try and move some pitching to pick up relievers, as right now I have more first basemen than relievers.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #129 on: 04 Apr 2009, 09:10 »

I'm quite satisfied with my team. My outfield's pretty stacked, my offense should be good for some great numbers (Though I'd rather have Fielder than Helton) and my pitching's pretty good, though I'm worried about how it might get if something happens to Santana. My bullpen's looking good, though.
JON MADE ME GAY

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #130 on: 04 Apr 2009, 09:29 »

At least you have a bullpen.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #131 on: 04 Apr 2009, 21:04 »

Hee, I love the feeling of looking through your roster after an autopick draft.  It's always "ok... good... whoa, holy shit!.... good... who? ... who?...oh, god damnit."

Also I don't know everyone's first name, so who's the one that put up a trade for Adrian Gonzalez?  I've spent the last like hour wondering whether or not to do it.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #132 on: 05 Apr 2009, 00:02 »

That was me.

Also, thank you so much I needed an actual first baseman and the best waiver was fuckin Ronnie Belliard

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #133 on: 05 Apr 2009, 08:07 »

I'm so used to playing NFL.com fantasy football, where I have gotten into the habit of automatically denying trades because they're usually retarded, but I looked it over for like an hour and a half and eventually decided it was a pretty fair trade.  Plus I've already got Ryan Howard at first, so it wasn't a huge loss on my part, but my only second baseman is Luis Castillo and I dunno how much I can rely on him, and my only catcher is named Taylor Teagarden and that's all that needs to be said.

The Research tab under the trade review page threw me for a loop though.  Most of the time I spent thinking about the trade was trying to find out what the player ranking meant, and I'm still unsure exactly.  Gonzalez is like a 6.5 or something, and both Pierzynski and Lopez are around 1-1.5.  It wasn't until after I accepted that I noticed players like Texeira or Sabathia or Pedroia had numbers around like 13 or 14 that I stopped worrying.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #134 on: 05 Apr 2009, 08:10 »

Speaking of trades, I have too many 2nd basemen, and one 3rd basemen I'd trade for 50 bucks and a case of beer. Anyone need 2nd basemen/need to get rid of 3rd basemen?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #135 on: 05 Apr 2009, 08:11 »

That was me.

Also, thank you so much I needed an actual first baseman and the best waiver was fuckin Ronnie Belliard

DAMMIT GUYS. I HAVE LAROCHE AND NEED RELIEVERS.

James, I could do without Brandon Wood, and he's 3B/SS eligible. A case of Newcastle Brown Ale and a reliever and I'll give him to you.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #136 on: 05 Apr 2009, 09:03 »

I'm so used to playing NFL.com fantasy football, where I have gotten into the habit of automatically denying trades because they're usually retarded, but I looked it over for like an hour and a half and eventually decided it was a pretty fair trade.  Plus I've already got Ryan Howard at first, so it wasn't a huge loss on my part, but my only second baseman is Luis Castillo and I dunno how much I can rely on him, and my only catcher is named Taylor Teagarden and that's all that needs to be said.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was goin for.  I looked for a team that had a good first baseman I didn't think they were going to need, and then looked for holes that I could fill with the extra players that I had.

And yeah I agree completely about the fantasy football trades.  They are usually the worst things

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #137 on: 05 Apr 2009, 09:12 »

Shane, Brandon Wood is useless, but friendly advice: go looking on waivers, there are actually a lot of really, really good relievers on there right now.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #138 on: 05 Apr 2009, 09:23 »

Hey Shane, if you're willing to give up some starting pitching I would trade you some relief pitching

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #139 on: 05 Apr 2009, 09:43 »

I have Mike Lowell and Jed Lowrie as utility guys, James. If you've got some decent pitching, I'd be willing to put up either one. I wouldn't call either of them a blockbuster, though I do think Lowell's going to have a bit of a bounceback.
JON MADE ME GAY

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #140 on: 05 Apr 2009, 10:00 »

James, how would Lowell straight up for Beckett sound to you? They're both considered injury risks, but I think they'll both bounce back a bit. Anyone else you've got that I'd want for Lowell is someone I'd consider out of Lowell's league in terms of trade and I can't say I'd be willing to give up two for anyone.
JON MADE ME GAY

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #141 on: 05 Apr 2009, 10:16 »

James, if you go with that, I'll also trade you Pujols for Dan Uggla.

cmon, Jon. Cmon.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #142 on: 05 Apr 2009, 10:27 »

Well, hey, Lowell for Masterson would've worked if you'd just give me Fielder already.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #143 on: 05 Apr 2009, 10:59 »

FYI, I could potentially be talked out of Mike Aviles, but you'd have to make a pretty damn nice offer, since he's a 28 years old, batted .325 last year and qualifies for both 2nd base AND shortstop. He's not spectactular, but he should fit in somewhere.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #144 on: 05 Apr 2009, 12:19 »

Sorry Jon, but I kinda need more than an aging, injury-plagued-of-late Lowell for a top of the rotation starter. Particularly since I think Beckett is going to kill this year.

It hurts me to say this, since I do love me some Mike Lowell, but I cannot do it.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #145 on: 05 Apr 2009, 12:25 »

Well, I was going to try a swap of Lowell straight up for Masterson and package him to Shane with something else for Prince Fielder, but he simply will not part with his 40+ home run potential first baseman THAT WILL NEVER SEE PLAYING TIME ON HIS TEAM BECAUSE HE IS BACKING UP ALBERT FUCKING PUJOLS GOD DAMN IT SHANE!
JON MADE ME GAY

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #146 on: 05 Apr 2009, 12:40 »

Hm... anyway you might be willing to part with Lowrie? I'm not sure what I can give you that's of similar value, unless you're interested in Howie Kendrick or some non-Masterson relief pitching.

EDIT: We have too many goddamn Bostonians in this league, all the Sox are going to be jealously guarded.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #147 on: 05 Apr 2009, 13:05 »

Honestly, if you're willing to part with Uggla, I would take him straight up for Lowrie. Lowrie apparently is not eligible for second base in this league for some reason, and having Renteria backing up Hardy renders Lowrie pretty redundant for me without an ability to play second. He'd do well for you, since you're completely lacking anyone to back up third or short. I sent you a trade proposal, so if you're into this trade, just approve it and it's a done deal on my end.
JON MADE ME GAY

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #148 on: 05 Apr 2009, 13:12 »

Well, before I do that, can someone clarify real quick just what exactly the utility slots are doing? Are those just essentially 3 DH slots, or are they more like bench spots? I guess I'm trying to figure if those players are actually active or not.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #149 on: 05 Apr 2009, 13:13 »

As far as I know, they're bench spots, but don't take my word on it since I'm as new as you. There's a two day window on the trade, so let me know once you find out.
JON MADE ME GAY
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up