THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Nomination Game -- ROUND FOUR  (Read 24767 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Re: Album Nomination Game -- ROUND FOUR
« Reply #50 on: 15 Apr 2009, 15:52 »

Like you said, it's all about seeding.

For sure! If you ask me, MONO and Modest Mouse should have been knocked out last round at the earliest. I mean, that's obviously personal bias so maybe MONO isn't a good example but MM should definitely have made it further and I think unlucky seeding is the only reason it didn't.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #51 on: 15 Apr 2009, 16:18 »

BLUE

Sgt. Peppers

Yellow

OK Computer

Green

Joy Division

Orange

Low

And public.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2009, 16:21 by Beren »
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #52 on: 15 Apr 2009, 16:38 »

Like you said, it's all about seeding.

For sure! If you ask me, MONO and Modest Mouse should have been knocked out last round at the earliest. I mean, that's obviously personal bias so maybe MONO isn't a good example but MM should definitely have made it further and I think unlucky seeding is the only reason it didn't.

yeah, that's why i'm not really into the whole seeding/brackets style of elimination for this type of thing. i think a "start with 30. round 1: pick 20, round two: pick 10 etc. etc." or something similar would be better. that way you can choose whichever ones you actually think ARE better rather than being forced to choose between two amazing albums or two crappy albums.
so there's my two cents, for future reference.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #53 on: 15 Apr 2009, 18:13 »

The Beatles
This one wasn't easy, both the artist themselves and the album rate very highly for me, even though I think they have better albums. I just find Sgt. Peppers easier to go back to than Brining..., and that's why it wins.
Miles Davis
Sorry Radiohead, but you're just not Miles Davis and Friends. And you never will be. While OK Computer is a nice listen and Paranoid Android is a brilliant song and the rest of the album is near it's level, there's just something about the opening of So What that gets music absolutely perfect.
The Beatles
Abbey Road is my favourite Beatles album (objective best beatles album still undecided) because while the songs are brilliant on their own, as a full piece it just keeps building and getting better as it goes. Joy Divisions inconsistency in the quality of songs over their albums just doesn't come close.
The Clash
Because I haven't heard Things we lost. No, I kid. It's a cool album, but it tapers off as soon as it should really get going; and while London Calling opens with it's best song, the quality doesn't dip, and even though it is a bit long I'd have a hard time finding anything to cut from it.

Also, these four albums have the better covers. Huh.

Addendum: You're all dicks for not voting for Pet Sounds.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #54 on: 15 Apr 2009, 18:19 »

BLUE
The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers

YELLOW
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

GREEN
The Beatles - Abbey Road

RED
The Clash - London Calling

Public vote.

This
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #55 on: 16 Apr 2009, 07:19 »

BLUE
The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers

YELLOW

GREEN
The Beatles - Abbey Road

RED

Public vote.

Same here. The second half of Abbey Road is an amazing work of music. Especially the last three movements of the suite: Golden Slumbers, Carry that Weight, and The End. Beautiful stuff.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2009, 07:22 by RedLion »
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #56 on: 16 Apr 2009, 19:19 »

Liz knows what's up.

Damn straight. All y'all need to pay attention to what this guy says.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #57 on: 16 Apr 2009, 19:32 »

BLUE
Abstain

YELLOW

GREEN
Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures

RED
Low- Things We Lost In The Fire

Public vote.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #58 on: 19 Apr 2009, 11:14 »

Is it that hard to believe that there are some people out there who aren't that big of fans of Bob Dylan?
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #59 on: 19 Apr 2009, 12:16 »

I guess not, but in a similar way to it not being hard to believe people would vote for George Bush.  There is evidence, just no explanation.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #60 on: 19 Apr 2009, 12:24 »

it's amazing to me that sgt. pepper's got as far as it did

also i'm changing my vote from unknown pleasures to abbey road
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

JayJayD

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #61 on: 19 Apr 2009, 12:27 »

Abstain
Unknown Pleasures
Kind of Blue
London Calling

Hate to vote against OK Computer and the Low album, but the other albums are simply better
(this woud be different if another Low album made it to that bracket, like the debut.)

Indifferent about private or public vote in the final rounds.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2009, 14:36 by JayJayD »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #62 on: 19 Apr 2009, 12:58 »

Bringing it all back home
Kind of Blue
Abbey Road
London Calling

Public - going private after all the discussion we've already had would be entirely pointless.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #63 on: 19 Apr 2009, 20:22 »

BLUE
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home

Both are great albums, though I think both artists should be represented by a different album.  I do think Sgt. Pepper's... is an excellent album, but apart from the time period and influence around it, its not their best album at all.  It's hit or miss, with too many holes throughout it.  Dylan wins for his consistency.

GREEN
the Beatles - Abbey Road

My favorite Beatles album by a long shot; it's the album that got me into the Beatles.  It's just a really great album, especially considering the second half is compiled of unfinished songs.  Also, I do not like Joy Division.

YELLOW
Radiohead - Ok Computer

It's a shame that this is getting shot down so much.  IMO, it's their most solid album.  "Electioneering" and "Paranoid Android" are two of my favorite songs by them.  Also, Miles Davis is good, but jazz is more of something I NEED to be in the mood for.  If anything off Ok... came on my iPod at any time, I'd leave it be.

ORANGE
the Clash - London Calling

This is a pretty good album, but it wouldn't be in my top...fifty probably.  But I don't like Low, so its got my vote.

Also, PUBLIC.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #64 on: 19 Apr 2009, 20:33 »

If anything off Ok... came on my iPod at any time, I'd leave it be.

Really? Even 'The Tourist'? That's one song I never really got. The 'great closers' thread made me think of this album b/c it has precisely what I would consider a very weak closing song (it's one of the least memorable parts of the album, I think).

Hollow Press (my blog)

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #65 on: 19 Apr 2009, 20:36 »

I dunno, I personall really like. The way it builds and Johnny's guitar playing during the chorus seals the deal for me. But yea, I agree with you that it isn't one of the albums stronger moments.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #66 on: 19 Apr 2009, 20:54 »

Maybe it's a bias on my part, but I'm somewhat surprised at the... not so much bashing of, but sort of a stigma against Sgt. Pepper's, I guess you could say.

Like, I don't see anybody saying that it's a bad album, but a good amount of the people voting for Dylan that explained their votes said something about how much they like Dylan's work as a whole, and this album in particular, but when it came to Sgt. Pepper's all I'm seeing is a pretty collective "...eehhhhhh"

I just get so happy when I listen to that record.  Even the songs that aren't so happy in and of themselves, or that are but do not sound as much, can put a smile on my face.  For example, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! does not paticularly have a happy feel to it.  The ominous harpsichord throughout and the use of the wind sound effect don't seem like something I'd smile at, but rather it'd creep me out somewhat.  But I hear that song and I just can't stop smiling.  Every song on the album is like that, and I love it.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #67 on: 19 Apr 2009, 23:38 »

Really? Even 'The Tourist'?

honestly would you really leave your ipod be if suddenly you were bombarded with "fitter happier"
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #68 on: 20 Apr 2009, 01:19 »

This is hard  :-(

6. Bob Dylan - Bringing it all back home
(I just plain like it better than Sgt Peppers.
13. Radiohead - OK Computer
This one was a ridiculously hard choice, It came down that at any random moment I'd be more into listening to OKC than KoB. But... even then. Argh. I hate voting against an album I love so much.
2. The Beatles - Abbey Road
Just an amazing classic.
1. Low - Things we lost in the fire

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #69 on: 20 Apr 2009, 06:33 »

Really? Even 'The Tourist'?

honestly would you really leave your ipod be if suddenly you were bombarded with "fitter happier"

Oh yeah! When OKC comes to my mind, I think I forget about that one. A subconscious mental block perhaps?

Hollow Press (my blog)

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #70 on: 20 Apr 2009, 08:11 »

I think that's actually a pretty good track.  The piano in the background and the odd little effects make it interesting to listen to, and the lyrics are very atmospheric and set up a good mood if you actually listen to them.  "The Tourist" is the real disappointment on that album, and it's not even that bad.

EDIT: Last minute entrance into the contest!

BLEU
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Not as hard a choice as I thought it would be.  I listened to both albums back to back, and though I liked BIABH a whole lot, it just didn't have enough bells and whistles to keep me interested.  The music was good, and the lyrics were passable (though he had a tendency of repeating himself), but the energy and variety and overall musicality of Sgt. Pepper's was much more captivating and kept me entertained throughout the entire album (Lovely Rita especially).

MIDORI
The Beatles - Abbey Road

So I takes a listen to Joy Division, I takes, and a first time listen says to me: "I am the winner.  This is unlike any album you've heard before.  You are voting for me."  Truly, Curtis's lyrics/voice and the rest of the band's tightly constrained desperation drew me in and really gave me a reel, and the fact that Abbey Road is my second least favorite Beatles album really solidified this fact for me from the start.  ...And then I gave Abbey Road a playthrough.  I must admit, I am a sucker for production and this is what this album has in spades.  The songs, while nowhere near my favorites, are still extraordinarily composed and George Martin's warm Reverb-and-Delay-heavy production compliments their arrangements incredibly well.  I guess this goes to prove that even a secondary Beatles album is still a Beatles album.  Joy Division is definitely a new favorite of mine, but Unknown Pleasures just could not match up to the second half of Abbey Road alone.

GELB
Radiohead - OK Computer

Another surprise to myself, as once more, one of my least favorite albums by an artist have made it to the semisemi-finals.  I play Kind of Blue and enjoy it thoroughly, the dark and mellow tones of Davis and Friends made me feel very chilled out, and put me in a pretty good mood.  All the songs are around 10 minutes long, but you never feel that.  The just seem to skirt along and end themselves in a very timely fashion.  Very good and atmospheric.  However, I realize, that I just don't have too much experience with Jazz and I could have been listening to most good Jazz albums and enjoy myself just the same.  If you played me one of the songs, I wouldn't be able to tell you which one it was.  I hear OK Computer, and I immediately know who it is, what song it is and who plays what part of the song.  I discount OKC, but when I listened to it I was impressed with how good it was and how dynamic all the songs were.  The lyrics were a bit weak, but Yorke's vocal melodies make up for it tenfold.  Greenwood manages an incredible atmosphere, and the rhythm section is impressively tight and original.  The verdict would be that Kind of Blue is amazing, but just doesn't stick with me like OK Computer does.

ROJO

This was tough.  I liked the Low album when I listened to it, and I was lukewarm about the Clash album, but I think someone else explained it much better.

London Calling vs. Things We Lost in the Fire was an interesting fight: vibrant punk energy vs. slow-slow-oh! atmosphere. This proved to be a battle of endurance. The Clash struck first with London Calling, Low countered with Sunflower and Whitetail, but in the end not even Dinosaur Act could save them from the onslaught. The second half of TWLITF just couldn't hold up against the steady blows of The Clash. A final knockout punch from Train in Vain sealed the deal in the fourth round.

I went with the four albums I had already heard out of this seed!  Huge surprise!
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2009, 13:24 by WriterofAllWrongs »

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #71 on: 20 Apr 2009, 13:29 »

This round be CLOSED, yo.

Gimme a little while, then round five will be up.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up