- 30 (20.8%)
Immanent indium iguana
- 3 (2.1%)
Dora's boots
- 18 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: 03 May 2009, 23:10

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT April 27-31  (Read 43118 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
WCT April 27-31
« on: 26 Apr 2009, 23:10 »

It's after midnight and no WCT yet. I hope I'm doing it right.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
Re: WCT April 27-31
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2009, 23:11 »

Let the good times roll.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
Re: WCT April 27-May 1
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2009, 23:13 »

Right except for the nonexistent ending day in the subject.

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2009, 23:45 »

"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2009, 23:45 »

Way to make us hate Sven, Jeph!

Us foul-mouthed aussies have a word for that kind of behaviour. Sven's just pulled a major c*nt act.
What the hell are YOU staring at?

akronnick

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2009, 23:53 »

That was intentional

Sven needs to STFU if he knows what's good for him. Otherwise Faye and Dora may have a fight over who gets to beat the ever lovin' shit out of him.

The only thing that would even been close to being appropriate would be for him to have said something like 'How have you been?' followed immedieately by a sincere and profuse apology. Acting like Faye owed him any deference to their whatever-it-was after the way he acted puts him only about two steps above Dick Cheney in my opinion, and I usually refer to Cheney as 'You-Know-Who", or 'He-Who-Must-Not-Be Named'.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2009, 23:55 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

LunaCorn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2009, 00:30 »

Why do I get the feeling that there is going to be a heated discussion between a confused Angus and a tipsy Sven in the near future?  :?
~You can't plant roots and have wings too.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2009, 00:37 »

Man, Dora's boots were so last week's highlight

Am I the only one who likes Sven? He's one of my fave characters
There is no sin except stupidity

lunakitten

• Plantmonster
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2009, 00:45 »

Why do I get the feeling that there is going to be a heated discussion between a confused Angus and a tipsy Sven in the near future?  :?

Oh, that would be EPIC.  :-o

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2009, 00:48 »

I usually refer to Cheney as 'You-Know-Who", or 'He-Who-Must-Not-Be Named'.

Not "Dick"?

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2009, 00:49 »

Well, Siibillam-Law, I've always felt Sven liked Sven. Although lately I wonder.

Anyway, I agree Sven and Angus will have a meeting. They've had this date coming for, crap, however long it's been since Sven and Faye started whatever it was they were doing (opinions vary). Ala Streetcar but hopefully without the rape.

(I was going to give Jeph T. Williams' nickname, but thought better of it.)
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2009, 00:51 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Mojo

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2009, 00:55 »

That's a standard jealous reacton.  He reacts that way because he's HURT.

Things to remember:

Sven WAS a manslut.  He proceeded to make very significant lifestyle changes based almost entirely on Faye's sayso (I was going to say "toungue-lashing," but that came later).  Why did he do this?  It's become clear that he is attracted to her in a more than physical way.

It isn't reasonable to expect him to change so drastically overnight and never lapse.  It's not uncommon for alcoholics, for example, to lapse, early in their attempts at sobreity.  Even during his lapse, it was clear that he didn't want to be doing it, at least on some level.  That is, he knew what he was supposed to do, but was unable to curb his desire to do the opposite.

Likewise, we find Faye hurt for many of the same reasons.  She actually likes Sven more than she intended to, or perhaps realized.  He was one of the few men in her life that didn't treat her like a delicate flower.  Further, he did make major life-changes for her.  She couldn't have failed to notice this, even subconsciously.

They are, however, now facing some serious denial issues.  Sven is wondering if it was worth it to make the effort to change, especially if the person he was trying to change for was just using him for sex, the very thing she berated HIM for.  She's hurt because she's wondering if he was really trying to change.  However, they're both trying to deny that they really felt anything, and are refusing to talk.

If they were simply honest with each other, they might actually establish a healthy relationship.

Just my two cents...

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:01 »

I couldn't decide! I went with single-tall panel but I also wanted to vote for full-figure drawings, happy hannelore immanent indium iguana, and dora's boots. In that order.

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:05 »

Oh and I forgot to say "ouch." That's how I felt about today's comic. An "ouch" for Sven, an "ouch" for Faye. But great drawings, great comic, thanks Jeph!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:42 »

Happy Hanners makes me happy :)

And I like Sven too.

... to fall from great heights onto solid rock ! Muhahahaha ! :evil:

Seriously, it looks like this isnt over.
Carpe Diem

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:53 »

If they were simply honest with each other, they might actually establish a healthy relationship.
That would come second. Something else has to happen first.

You're right to point out the massive denial both are engaged in. Before they can be honest with each other, first they have to be honest with themselves.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCT April 27-May 1
« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:55 »

Right except for the nonexistent ending day in the subject.
Excuse me, that should have been March 62.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2009, 04:43 »

Does nobody actually look at a flippin' calender before writing the dates?  Or know that old mnenomic?

Back to the strip - last week was one of the most pleasant and enjoyable weeks in a long time - thanks Jeph.

And this week looks like it'll be interesting.  At least Faye's being the mature one here.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2009, 04:45 »

Man, Dora's boots were so last week's highlight

Am I the only one who likes Sven? He's one of my fave characters
Yes.
Anyway, I lol'd. Sven is dumbz.
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

Mallli_kite

• Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2009, 06:22 »

Whoa!

Jealous Sven!
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

Shaztastic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2009, 06:26 »

anyone read the link with the Hannelore thing? hahaha that was aces exactly as you'd expect from her double whammy 2 great strips in one :P

and sven drops to even lower levels of assholery
I'm trying to find myself as a person, sometimes that's not easy to do. Millions of people live their entire lives without finding themselves. But it is something I must do - Marylin Monroe

Mominator

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2009, 07:57 »

Ooooh, SNAP!  Go Faye! Go Faye! Go Faye!

Well, I WAS a Svaye shipper...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2009, 08:54 »

Does nobody actually look at a flippin' calender before writing the dates?  Or know that old mnenomic?

Back to the strip - last week was one of the most pleasant and enjoyable weeks in a long time - thanks Jeph.

And this week looks like it'll be interesting.  At least Faye's being the mature one here.

You mean the knuckles thing? I know that!  :-D

Agreed on the last week being one of the best. Although I didn't like today's strip. Oh well, I guess it had to happen. What's next? Drunken Sven/Angus showdown on a toboggan sledding towards the edge of a cliff?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

giant_squid

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2009, 08:57 »

so......while reading today's strip i kept yelling at the screen for sven to stop talking.... he wouldn't listen to me though. stupid sven.

roxy255

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2009, 09:04 »

i can't believe i'm about to engage in this, but whatever...  I BELIEVE (look at me - communication skills) both faye and sven clearly suck for their own reasons and while i can't impress my opinion on the masses, it seems so obvious that there is no clear cut right or wrong in their situation. so yeah, i also like sven and do not think he is a douche for being angry at faye.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2009, 09:45 »

Your opinion and you're more than entitled to hold it.

Personally, Faye's behaviour has been somewhat understandable (she expressed her personal boundary of what she was prepared to accept in the relationship, and when that boundary was crossed she left - whether she was realistic in her expectations is another story) and her behaviour since Sven broke the news to her has been mature.  Sven's wallowing in self pity and the "I'm hurt, so I'm going to hurt" you comments of this comic have been immature at best. 

If Sven had been one of my friends I'd have no problems telling him he was a royal ass, that he was definitely being immature and that he was more than able to fetch his own beer.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

ironi

• Plantmonster
« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2009, 09:51 »

Dora's boots sucked.  Ughh to her Uggs, those things are almost as bad as crocs.   Other than that, I loved Faye's "too bad, so sad," comment.  I'm proud of her for just walking away.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2009, 10:49 »

Other than that, I loved Faye's "too bad, so sad," comment.  I'm proud of her for just walking away.

Yup, nice one, but cue the QQ mayhaps?

I usually like Sven, but man that was stupid. :>
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2009, 15:07 »

It isn't reasonable to expect him to change so drastically overnight and never lapse.  It's not uncommon for alcoholics, for example, to lapse, early in their attempts at sobreity.  Even during his lapse, it was clear that he didn't want to be doing it, at least on some level.  That is, he knew what he was supposed to do, but was unable to curb his desire to do the opposite.

Oh bull.

"Aw damn, I wasn't watching my dong and it just ran off and buried itself in her cootch! It's not my fault!"

Milesb

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2009, 15:36 »

Meh. The first time you see someone after splitting up/ it ends (whatever you'd call it for those two) expecting them to act entirely or sometimes at all reasonably is usually just showing a lack of touch with reality.

Faye turning round and walking away when Sven acknowledged his mistake was just as childish as Sven's outburst though. Though considering that Angus is the closest thing Faye has to a rebound, you can see why it might hit a nerve.

Mojo

« Reply #30 on: 27 Apr 2009, 16:18 »

Oh bull.

"Aw damn, I wasn't watching my dong and it just ran off and buried itself in her cootch! It's not my fault!"

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not excusing the behaviour, I'm just saying that it's largely automatic to him.  Consider his thoughts during the incident.  He knew what he was doing wasn't good, yet he kept doing it.  Like any habitual behaviour, it's very difficult to stop.  I'm not excusing it, just explaining it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #31 on: 27 Apr 2009, 20:49 »

At least Faye's being the mature one here.
It was better than slashing his tires, but namecalling and turning your back on someone who's trying to apologize don't meet my standards for maturity.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

« Reply #32 on: 27 Apr 2009, 21:32 »

Except that he wasn't apologizing. he said something mean and hurtful and he was trying to get her to come back because he still wants to be the center of attention. Faye had every right to walk away.

What Sven said is pretty much the defining feature of a fucking shit-eating DOUCHEBAG ASSHOLE
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2009, 21:41 by akronnick »

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #33 on: 27 Apr 2009, 22:57 »

On the money, akronnick.

Worse, to me, Sven was trying to cast Faye as acting the same as he does. There was absolutely no reason for her to listen to him after that bit of self-justification. "Sorry" doesn't fix everything, and it especially doesn't do it when it's not the first thing out of your mouth.

Hint, kiddies: if you want to actually talk to someone whose feelings you just hurt, you probably better make with the nice, not the insults. Better yet, give 'em some space, for god's sake. Sven would have been better off just saying hi and letting Faye do the talking...or not.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2009, 23:01 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #34 on: 27 Apr 2009, 23:21 »

Hint, kiddies: if you want to actually talk to someone whose feelings you just hurt, you probably better make with the nice, not the insults. Better yet, give 'em some space, for god's sake. Sven would have been better off just saying hi and letting Faye do the talking...or not.

Sven could probably articulate why Faye's feelings are hurt, but deep down he feels like he is the wronged party in this situation.  He thinks because he never agreed to monogamy (though he implicitly did by continuing to sleep with Faye after she said an open-FWB situation was a no go), that Faye should still be available to him.  He also doesn't get why he wasn't rewarded for being honest.  For reasons he doesn't understand - he actually likes her - he still wants to sleep with her, and he is not used to being rejected this way.

If Sven really got that he just hurt her feelings, he'd probably be nice.  But right now he thinks she's in the wrong for not sleeping with him anymore.

akronnick

« Reply #35 on: 27 Apr 2009, 23:34 »

... right now he thinks she's in the wrong for not sleeping with him anymore.

Also a characteristic of the fs-eDA.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2009, 23:36 by akronnick »

Mojo

« Reply #36 on: 27 Apr 2009, 23:37 »

On the money, akronnick.

Worse, to me, Sven was trying to cast Faye as acting the same as he does. There was absolutely no reason for her to listen to him after that bit of self-justification. "Sorry" doesn't fix everything, and it especially doesn't do it when it's not the first thing out of your mouth.

But you see, this is precisely the point.

Sven liked Faye because she WASN'T like him.  He was used to women who fell for his good looks.  That Faye DIDN'T, meant she liked him for HIM, not for his body.  Then he sees her with some other guy, and he automatically suspects he's been replaced by some other guy.  This in turn means that Faye WASN'T any different from the way he was - that is, she was using him for sex and was thus no different than any other woman he had known.

Thus, his sense of self worth takes a blow.  A great deal of what Sven has been doing to improve himself is thereby undermined.  Of course, this doesn't excuse him for behaving like a jerk, but when you consider the effect of the situation as HE sees it, it's not hard to understand why he'd react that way.

• Plantmonster
  • WOOOO!
« Reply #37 on: 27 Apr 2009, 23:49 »

ok did anyone else read that last poll choice as "dora's "booBs" ? i was confused and thought i definitely didn't notice anything about dora's boobs. but then i thought hey dora's a cartoon and i'm a girl so i guess i wouldn't have...and then i realized it was boots not boobs...then again i didn't really notice those either o.O

aaanyhow, so i was never an angus fan. i always found him kinda annoying, but he's definitely growing on me in these past few comics...something endearing about him

also, sven is not helping. like seriously dude, what're you thinking? i don't really think it's anything much deeper than he's jealous. not that he really has the right to say anything to her about it after what happened, but it's how it slipped out. and he knew he was an ass the second it came out.

will be interesting to see how it all works itself out...

akronnick

« Reply #38 on: 27 Apr 2009, 23:50 »

Then he sees her with some other guy, and he automatically suspects he's been replaced by some other guy.

There's your problem--he automatically suspects that Faye's is sleeping with Angus, even after Faye made a similar mistake regarding his lawyer. Not even a how are you doing, just strait to the assumption that Faye's boinkin' some other dude. He has no evidence to support that hypothesis, other than that He's seen her in public with the dude (which was something that Faye tried to avoid with him.)

Is there anything in Sven's behavior since he told Faye about his transgression that does not make him look like a complete fs-eDA?

edit:

Comics up, and Angus, you're not helping.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2009, 00:24 by akronnick »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #39 on: 28 Apr 2009, 00:29 »

Contrast current-model Sven with the one in 1083, who acknowledged Faye's freaked-outitude and offered to talk.

I think the difference is that he's in an unfamiliar situation now and isn't acting out of his best side (leaving aside the question of how good his best side is).

Still think the mature thing for Faye to do would have been a cold "None of your business. Get lost."
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mojo

« Reply #40 on: 28 Apr 2009, 00:29 »

Then he sees her with some other guy, and he automatically suspects he's been replaced by some other guy.

There's your problem--he automatically suspects that Faye's is sleeping with Angus, even after Faye made a similar mistake regarding his lawyer. Not even a how are you doing, just strait to the assumption that Faye's boinkin' some other dude. He has no evidence to support that hypothesis, other than that He's seen her in public with the dude (which was something that Faye tried to avoid with him.)

Is there anything in Sven's behavior since he told Faye about his transgression that does not make him look like a complete fs-eDA?

edit:

Comics up, and Angus, you're not helping.

He automatically suspects that, because that's the world-view he's most familiar with.  We all make assumption related to how we interact with the world, every day.  Also note that he admitted that his assumption was out of line, before Faye walked off.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #41 on: 28 Apr 2009, 00:36 »

From the first panel, I recognized the Octopus Pie characters. Over on the other side, was that Kestrel?

Didn't recognize any of the others!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

« Reply #42 on: 28 Apr 2009, 00:41 »

He automatically suspects that, because that's the world-view he's most familiar with.  We all make assumption related to how we interact with the world, every day.  Also note that he admitted that his assumption was out of line, before Faye walked off.

Exactly my point, he reacted the way a fs-eDA would react.

And he started to apologize (for his remark, not for being a fs-eDA) as she was walking away, not before.

So, who wants to lay odds that Sven and Angus will engage in fisticuffs or sloppy make-outs by the time the party is over?
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2009, 00:45 by akronnick »

Zingoleb

« Reply #43 on: 28 Apr 2009, 00:45 »

From the first panel, I recognized the Octopus Pie characters. Over on the other side, was that Kestrel?

Didn't recognize any of the others!

I thought the blond dude in the first panel smoking a joint was Weedmaster P, but...I didn't see Jeph link to OverCompensating.

MrMonk

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #44 on: 28 Apr 2009, 00:48 »

After following the links, I can place every "guest" except the couple in the second panel.
Any ideas?
If you don't hear from me again, expect the worse.  Long live the Batman.

LunaCorn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #45 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:04 »

I'm not a fan of Angus, never have been, but I couldn't help but smile at his subtle "look what I can do" comment in an attempt to impress Faye. I still think a "discussion" is inevitable, especially now that Sven is going to be engaging in angry drinking, and I think most of us here know how well that plan usually turns out.
~You can't plant roots and have wings too.

Manix

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #46 on: 28 Apr 2009, 03:16 »

On the money, akronnick.

But you see, this is precisely the point.

Sven liked Faye because she WASN'T like him.  He was used to women who fell for his good looks.  That Faye DIDN'T, meant she liked him for HIM, not for his body.  Then he sees her with some other guy, and he automatically suspects he's been replaced by some other guy.  This in turn means that Faye WASN'T any different from the way he was - that is, she was using him for sex and was thus no different than any other woman he had known.

Thus, his sense of self worth takes a blow.  A great deal of what Sven has been doing to improve himself is thereby undermined.  Of course, this doesn't excuse him for behaving like a jerk, but when you consider the effect of the situation as HE sees it, it's not hard to understand why he'd react that way.

I think Faye's attraction to Sven was very physical, saying she liked him for HIM that's just not true. Her blushing at his "Come Hither" look, and making their relationship strictly sexual, all pretty much implies this.
In my mind, Sven was a rebound fling, a way for Faye to prove to herself that she could still have sex with someone without breaking down. Yes it was "Healthy" (Though, as a christian, i'm not really sure how I agree with that notion), but staying with Sven, with alll his asshole tendencies, and almost instinctual sexing of other girls, would NOT have been.

About this comic, I wondered if Angus was going to make a comment along the lines of "You want me to beat him up for you?" Surpisingly enough, his interaction with Faye is surprisingly funny. Of course, i'm not going to imply that I know what Jeph is planning (The onset of Marten/Dora proves that I don't) So I'll just say I loved the strip.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #47 on: 28 Apr 2009, 03:30 »

Second panel cameos are Allie Vegetoksis and Indie Rock Pete from Diesel Sweeties (see this "save point" cast summary.)

I'm stumped by panel 4, though -- who's the redhead?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #48 on: 28 Apr 2009, 03:52 »

Lol @ the intentional misspelling of the comic names.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

plethora

• Larger than most fish
  • fluff fluff fluff
« Reply #49 on: 28 Apr 2009, 06:19 »

You mean the knuckles thing? I know that!  :-D

Thirty days have September, April, June and November.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up