- 30 (20.8%)
Immanent indium iguana
- 3 (2.1%)
Dora's boots
- 18 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: 03 May 2009, 23:10

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT April 27-31  (Read 43115 times)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
Re: WCT April 27-31
« Reply #50 on: 28 Apr 2009, 07:59 »

Second panel cameos are Allie Vegetoksis and Indie Rock Pete from Diesel Sweeties (see this "save point" cast summary.)

I'm stumped by panel 4, though -- who's the redhead?
Panel 1, the girl with the book; appears to be Kimiko "thunderbolt" Ross, she of the bionic arm and mildly paralysing social issues.
And I think the redhead on panel 4 looks suspiciously like sweet-tits. Can you even give characters you create cameos in your own comic though? How does that work exactly?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #51 on: 28 Apr 2009, 08:23 »

#4 is Wasted Talent's Jam.

And no Soft world cameo?  like... some random 3 boxes in the background?  Or hovering boxes of text?
...and that's why I eat bugs.

Shok Xone Studios

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #52 on: 28 Apr 2009, 08:56 »

I hereby demand a QC/Octopus Pie crossover in which Faye and Ning get into an epic-scale Sass-Off.

Aaaaaaaaaand go.
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

Tago Mago

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #53 on: 28 Apr 2009, 09:07 »

Kimiko showing up + preexisting Northampton robot population = apocalypse.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2009, 09:10 by Tago Mago »

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #54 on: 28 Apr 2009, 10:20 »

I preferred the Something Positive/QC crossover.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Mojo

« Reply #55 on: 28 Apr 2009, 11:05 »

On the money, akronnick.

Worse, to me, Sven was trying to cast Faye as acting the same as he does. There was absolutely no reason for her to listen to him after that bit of self-justification. "Sorry" doesn't fix everything, and it especially doesn't do it when it's not the first thing out of your mouth.

Hint, kiddies: if you want to actually talk to someone whose feelings you just hurt, you probably better make with the nice, not the insults. Better yet, give 'em some space, for god's sake. Sven would have been better off just saying hi and letting Faye do the talking...or not.

But you see, this is precisely the point.

Sven liked Faye because she WASN'T like him.  He was used to women who fell for his good looks.  That Faye DIDN'T, meant she liked him for HIM, not for his body.  Then he sees her with some other guy, and he automatically suspects he's been replaced by some other guy.  This in turn means that Faye WASN'T any different from the way he was - that is, she was using him for sex and was thus no different than any other woman he had known.

Thus, his sense of self worth takes a blow.  A great deal of what Sven has been doing to improve himself is thereby undermined.  Of course, this doesn't excuse him for behaving like a jerk, but when you consider the effect of the situation as HE sees it, it's not hard to understand why he'd react that way.

I think Faye's attraction to Sven was very physical, saying she liked him for HIM that's just not true. Her blushing at his "Come Hither" look, and making their relationship strictly sexual, all pretty much implies this.
In my mind, Sven was a rebound fling, a way for Faye to prove to herself that she could still have sex with someone without breaking down. Yes it was "Healthy" (Though, as a christian, i'm not really sure how I agree with that notion), but staying with Sven, with alll his asshole tendencies, and almost instinctual sexing of other girls, would NOT have been.

About this comic, I wondered if Angus was going to make a comment along the lines of "You want me to beat him up for you?" Surpisingly enough, his interaction with Faye is surprisingly funny. Of course, i'm not going to imply that I know what Jeph is planning (The onset of Marten/Dora proves that I don't) So I'll just say I loved the strip.

Quite so, Faye's interest was just physical.  The problem is that she had already given Sven reason to believe otherwise.  Thus, it's his perception of things that drives his responses.

Martinab

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #56 on: 28 Apr 2009, 11:07 »

Panel 1 has Ning and her blond weed-smoking roommate on the right. What about Anders loves Maria? Is Anders the tall dude in Panel 3 on the left, or am I missing something?

Mominator

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #57 on: 28 Apr 2009, 12:02 »

Panel 1 has Ning and her blond weed-smoking roommate on the right. What about Anders loves Maria? Is Anders the tall dude in Panel 3 on the left, or am I missing something?

Yeah, Anders is the tall guy, but I barely recognized him, as he wasn't impregnating anyone that I could see.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #58 on: 28 Apr 2009, 12:19 »

So, who wants to lay odds that Sven and Angus will engage in fisticuffs or sloppy make-outs by the time the party is over?
I think I already did.  Well, I actually said "Ala Streetcar but hopefully without the rape." So I gave a sexual encounter slim odds, but odds nonetheless.

Anyway, I fear Angus just doomed himself, so whatever happens, it will be anticlimactic.

And jolly good shot, Mominator!
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #59 on: 28 Apr 2009, 12:27 »

Anders [...] wasn't impregnating anyone that I could see.

He's just that good.
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

Junodog

• Not quite a lurker
  • Beregond needs more love.
« Reply #60 on: 28 Apr 2009, 16:03 »

I have little experience with relationships so I'm not going to try and dissect the whole Sven/Faye/Angus thing other than say, "well gee, that could have gone better."  Foot-in-mouth scenes always bother me, but then again I have social anxiety so whatever.

As for the cameos, I recognized Hazel and Jamie from GWS, Jam from WT, and I sort of recognized Anders but I wasn't sure if I was right until I saw that someone else on here placed him as well.  I guess I don't read enough webcomics or something.
Quote from: Xipher from elsewhere
I'ma gonna charge my kitty vengance lazer beam. It's the cutest death ray you'll ever see.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #61 on: 28 Apr 2009, 16:29 »

Anders you can recognise from the guest strip Jeph did for Rene in February.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tybalt

• Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #62 on: 28 Apr 2009, 16:36 »

Wait a minute, it says "Jam" right on the hoodie of the middle girl in panel 3!

What the hell Jeph!  You're trying to make me look stupid!
...and that's why I eat bugs.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #63 on: 28 Apr 2009, 18:21 »

Quite so, Faye's interest was just physical.  The problem is that she had already given Sven reason to believe otherwise. 
How so? The monogamy demand? I don't remember her showing emotional closeness but it would be fun to discover that I'd missed something. Sven accused her of using him as a "fucktoy", though that may have been hurt feelings talking rather than his actual perception of the relationship. #1307 didn't sound like he was talking to someone he thought of as an emotional partner.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zingoleb

« Reply #64 on: 28 Apr 2009, 19:51 »

Wait a minute, it says "Jam" right on the hoodie of the middle girl in panel 3!

What the hell Jeph!  You're trying to make me look stupid!

He doesn't have to try, I'm sure you manage it well enough on your own.

BladeDancer

• Not quite a lurker
  • It's hard to be a filler
« Reply #65 on: 28 Apr 2009, 20:28 »

From the first panel, I recognized the Octopus Pie characters. Over on the other side, was that Kestrel?

Didn't recognize any of the others!

I thought the blond dude in the first panel smoking a joint was Weedmaster P, but...I didn't see Jeph link to OverCompensating.

No, that's an Octopus Pie character. See the boobs?

Mojo

« Reply #66 on: 28 Apr 2009, 20:34 »

Quite so, Faye's interest was just physical.  The problem is that she had already given Sven reason to believe otherwise. 
How so? The monogamy demand? I don't remember her showing emotional closeness but it would be fun to discover that I'd missed something. Sven accused her of using him as a "fucktoy", though that may have been hurt feelings talking rather than his actual perception of the relationship. #1307 didn't sound like he was talking to someone he thought of as an emotional partner.

Faye had previously rejected his usual overtures, and his supposed good looks.  This would suggest she's not interested in his physical overtures as most women are.  When she later grabs him in the kitchen, the only conclusion he would come to, considering prior relations, would be that something other than his physicality was driving her actions; that is, his internal self.  This is a very powerful kind of validation for him, and it's natural that he'll respond poorly to having it threatened.

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #67 on: 28 Apr 2009, 20:36 »

The (unnecessary?) censorship in the third panel makes it all worth it.  :evil:

HappyGrar

• Plantmonster
  • Vulcan Boob Squish'd
« Reply #68 on: 28 Apr 2009, 20:45 »

Hilarious filler is hilarious.  :laugh:

Zingoleb

« Reply #69 on: 28 Apr 2009, 21:02 »

JEPH YOU PIECE OF SHIT I DIDN'T WANT A FILLER CLIFFHANGER I

oh who the hell am I kidding, that was awesome.

Mephistopheles

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #70 on: 28 Apr 2009, 22:16 »

... why is his censor box that big?  :|

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #71 on: 28 Apr 2009, 22:56 »

the only conclusion he would come to, considering prior relations, would be that something other than his physicality was driving her actions; that is, his internal self.  This is a very powerful kind of validation for him
That's a good analysis.

Not just a powerful kind of validation, but maybe even a unique one. As far as we know, all his previous "relationships" just fell into his lap based on his looks or glamor. Constant success can lead to a kind of insecurity, which Sven may have had at the back of his mind (certainly not at the front though).

Dora said Sven had never had to work for anything in his life. If Faye was the first woman he'd ever invested himself in, he may even have felt like he deserved her.

Which is of course a belief system that leads to douchery, as we just saw.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

• Plantmonster
  • WOOOO!
« Reply #72 on: 28 Apr 2009, 22:58 »

Yeah, Anders is the tall guy, but I barely recognized him, as he wasn't impregnating anyone that I could see.

hahahahahahaha that was great.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #73 on: 28 Apr 2009, 23:12 »

... why is his censor box that big?  :|

Yelling Bird might have some Argentine Lake Duck genes.  :-o
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #74 on: 28 Apr 2009, 23:16 »

My name is Duck
And I came here to f...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Zingoleb

« Reply #75 on: 28 Apr 2009, 23:27 »

...lail around uselessly when I am hit by a truck?

akronnick

« Reply #76 on: 28 Apr 2009, 23:45 »

Nice! (it even rhymes)
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Martinab

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #77 on: 29 Apr 2009, 00:21 »

:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

A two comic day!!! Weeeeeee ......!!!!

I love the sociopath bird enough to be happy w/ it but this is BONUS. It's like getting cheesecake for dinner and then chocolate cake for dessert, with an apology for not getting enough  cake  :-D

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #78 on: 29 Apr 2009, 00:27 »

Jeph is one hell of a trooper and an all-around great guy.  Mr. Jacques,  your fans salute you.  Now take some rest, soldier - you've earned it!

akronnick

« Reply #79 on: 29 Apr 2009, 00:29 »

Jeph, your work ethic continues to amaze me, stop it, you're spoiling us.

Did Faye actually have a nice time with Angus? I think she did...

Now she's gonna go home to her new, umm, accessory and not be able to stop thinking about Angus.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #80 on: 29 Apr 2009, 00:41 »

Seriously. I was about to add an edit to my previous post saying basically that Jeph has created something where he has fans who will say, "WOO, FILLER!" and not mean it at all sarcastically.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

akronnick

« Reply #81 on: 29 Apr 2009, 00:47 »

I thought today's Yelling bird was especially effective. Nice bit of social commentary with the redactions, and, a dick joke.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #82 on: 29 Apr 2009, 00:49 »

Hmmmmm, where to begin?

Sven - Charm school dropout - or was he expelled?

I do believe that Faye is warming to Angus here.  :D  ;)

Bloody Comic Censors - Or was this the revenge of the Illuminati?

Oooh!  Hanners shows she knows how to use Temporal Weapons - Where's Doctor Who when you need him?

OK, that's me caught up with the Comics

:D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #83 on: 29 Apr 2009, 01:09 »

Woo, Jeph, we love you! Excellent comic, though you needn't have stayed up.  :police:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #84 on: 29 Apr 2009, 02:07 »

Your tenacity in comic delivery is much appreciated.

Sleep now.

(Does anyone actually remember dark City?)
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #85 on: 29 Apr 2009, 02:32 »

Two comics in one day. Jeph again makes himself even cooler-er again
There is no sin except stupidity

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #86 on: 29 Apr 2009, 03:44 »

:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

A two comic day!!! Weeeeeee ......!!!!

I love the sociopath bird enough to be happy w/ it but this is BONUS. It's like getting cheesecake for dinner and then chocolate cake for dessert, with an apology for not getting enough  cake  :-D

Martin has put it into perfect words.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #87 on: 29 Apr 2009, 04:16 »

And Faye gets Hanners back to the apartment where she falls asleep on the couch. 

I have to ask how cold does it get there?   Where I come from a hoodie and no glove are not sufficient winter wear.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

plethora

• Larger than most fish
  • fluff fluff fluff
« Reply #88 on: 29 Apr 2009, 05:11 »

Am I the only one who saw the snowballs in today's comics and assumed Sven was throwing them?

Lily125

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #89 on: 29 Apr 2009, 05:56 »

I actually feel kind of bad that there are 2 comics today.  Jeph commented, "I went ahead and scrapped my plans for tomorrow and stayed up to draw a proper strip."  If you check out his Tweets he obviously had some issues last night, personal or not.  I realize that his is a M-F comic but he still has a life and sometimes life gets in the way.  Hell, sometimes you just have to call in sick to work for a Mental Health Day.  I would have been just fine with only Yelling Bird.  That said, I still enjoyed the second comic. 

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #90 on: 29 Apr 2009, 07:02 »

Yeah, man.  I haven't posted in a WCT before, but I wanted you to know that today's comic was great (and so was the Yelling Bird) and you really didn't have to fuck up your plans for us.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #91 on: 29 Apr 2009, 07:02 »

I would have just said "Fuck you guys!" and gone to bed.

That said ...

Two in one day, especially when none of the other comics I read update today, is flipping awesome.

I know Faye's pretty big on just laying it out there, but I also got a brush off vibe when she told Angus she was tired. She didn't used to be shy about telling him to get lost, but I'm not so sure about post-Sven Faye.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

LunaCorn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #92 on: 29 Apr 2009, 07:16 »

Am I the only one who saw the snowballs in today's comics and assumed Sven was throwing them?

Nope, I thought it too, but after I saw the culprit I also thought "Coming from Hanners, I wouldn't take that threat lightly." I can just see the strip in 20 QC years (if I live that long o0) and a random storm of snowballs hitting Faye and Angus (wherever they may be) in the middle of Summer.

Amazing commitment Jeph, I sincerely hope you're enjoying a good night's (day's?) sleep right now.
~You can't plant roots and have wings too.

Milesb

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #93 on: 29 Apr 2009, 08:37 »

What is Faye's expression in panel three?

I can't decide if she's surprised or it's just a "bye!" look?

Maybe i'm superimposing my own surprise that Angus managed to make a reasonably painless exit?

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #94 on: 29 Apr 2009, 09:05 »

(Does anyone actually remember Dark City?)

Woo!!!
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #95 on: 29 Apr 2009, 09:59 »

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who initially assumed Sven was throwing the snowballs.

The last panel makes me think that Hanners is taking over the role in the comic previously played by Raven - which could account for the latter's near-disappearance. (I mean, doesn't her line sound like something Raven would say?)

TheHappyBerry

• Plantmonster
« Reply #96 on: 29 Apr 2009, 10:00 »

That was definitely my theory too, but I liked the real answer just as much.  I just kind of have to wonder why Hanners was throwing snowballs....

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #97 on: 29 Apr 2009, 10:08 »

So what would Angus have done if Faye said she was just trying to get rid of him?

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #98 on: 29 Apr 2009, 11:14 »

So what would Angus have done if Faye said she was just trying to get rid of him?

Ignored her and continued hanging around.

Y'know, like he's done the last fifteen times she told him to go away.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #99 on: 29 Apr 2009, 11:29 »

I just kind of have to wonder why Hanners was throwing snowballs....

It's fun
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up