THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 19:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's say positive things about our jobs!  (Read 32149 times)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Re: Let's say positive things about our jobs!
« Reply #100 on: 29 May 2009, 02:27 »

Lunchbox's future work

Lunchy wins.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #101 on: 29 May 2009, 02:43 »

Hell yes. She does. I wonder what the negative sides are. Surely there must be one, right? You know ... if there is any justice in the world.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #102 on: 29 May 2009, 05:17 »

Long hours perhaps?  Just trying to stab at something she didn't already address.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #103 on: 29 May 2009, 05:41 »

My new job has positives even though it is kind of boring!
I get wear normal clothes most of the time, but I also get to dress swanky sometimes and go to meeting on Capitol Hill! I also get to work with 2 very dedicated dudes who actually have a chance at getting a federal standard adopted for renewable thermal portfolio requirements! So basically I get to work in jeans and no shoes convincing people to use sustainable biomass fuel to heat their houses instead of fossil fuel furnaces and that makes me feel like a worthwhile person:)
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #104 on: 29 May 2009, 06:08 »

Yeah, long hours (8:30 to 5:30 monday to friday) with the very real possibility of overtime, and the fact that I get paid way less than my old job (7-3 monday to friday) at the coffee shop. Also I have to commute again instead of walking to work. Booo.

Zingoleb

« Reply #105 on: 29 May 2009, 11:24 »

9 hours is nice. I really hated it when they would schedule me for 13 hour shifts repeatedly at my job.

I have no job anymore, I don't think! That's fine, though, because I wasn't making much of anything at it, anyways.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #106 on: 29 May 2009, 13:22 »

I thought of another positive thing about my job: if it all goes belly-up with my exams and I never make it to uni, I'll probably get promoted and end up as a manager or something. I wouldn't actually mind that, I'd love to keep working there but only if I got to walk around a bit more often and do different things. At the moment I'm trained in three things and half-trained in another so things are never boring but I can see it getting less exciting to sell cigarettes and stack cans of beans in about ten years.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #107 on: 29 May 2009, 13:34 »

I might have a job soon! That's a positive thing.

And the job I might get pays really well, is normal hours, has a lot of vacation time, and it will be the first job I've ever had where I get holidays off. I'm super excited to hopefully maybe get it.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #108 on: 29 May 2009, 17:59 »

I get to work with pretty ladies and talk shit to old dudes and take a lot of smoke breaks
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #109 on: 29 May 2009, 18:11 »

We have a free soda machine. My husband works for the same company so we get to eat lunch together. We only live 15 minutes from the warehouse. The owner has pretty much stopped propositioning me. I answer the phones, and I like to think that maybe I make the customer service courtesy call people's days a little better, because I'm nice to them. (Except those guys from the online yellow pages. Screw them.) Before this, I had the same job as Manda. The doing homework/buff arms gig, not this barefoot biomass thingamajig that I only just learned about from seeing it here.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #110 on: 05 Jun 2009, 07:36 »

Good things about my job?

Hm. Weeellll.....

I work for a "vertically challenged" multi-billionaire with a private space program in his back yard of his New Mexico Desert Hideout. Guess is, James Bond will come around any time. As the geek that i am, i find that totally cool. Just buying out the NASA.

Else, I am surrounded by freaks (in fact, the companies hiring motto is: "Hire the freaks"). And when you think you have seen it all, some male collegues come back from a longer vacation with boobies on their chest and your first Job in the morning is to change their names in the system...

I'll count that as a good thing. Adds much to the fun part at work.

Oh. And the coffee is free. And the sodas. As much as you can drink. And...err.... the payment isn`t that bad. M'kay, its not that sexy workplace, but its quite ok. And a lot safer than my last job (check and measure holes in high pressure natural gas pipelines).

Have yet to try to work for Google, but in my Job Position, its at least better than working for Microsoft or Blizzard Entertainment (never worked for them, but my buddies do which do  pretty much the same as i do. And they complain a lot when we meet and go for a beer).
9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #111 on: 07 Jun 2009, 10:32 »

I don't quite believe you but it'd make a great film.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #112 on: 07 Jun 2009, 10:37 »

....I can't. My job's literally shit.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #113 on: 07 Jun 2009, 10:43 »

"vertically challenged" multi-billionaire with a private space program

Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #114 on: 07 Jun 2009, 12:30 »

Nope. Jeff Bezos (Amazon CEO) with his private firm Blue Origin. http://public.blueorigin.com/letter.htm

Its based on his ranch in New Mexico and near where he lives in Kent, WA. He just buyed out the complete Delta Clipper Program from Nasa and McDonnell-Douglas including all the attached scientist slaves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-X)

C'me on... doesn`t my boss look like the next "Super-Villain"?

http://www.teezeh.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/mf_amazon_f.jpg

Btw, he doesn't want to be the first blasting a rocket into orbit. Or to the moon. Nope. His main target is "I want to be the first to own a private build space station". Guess you can aim high with your wishes and targets when you have billions to spend.

« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2009, 12:34 by Llewellian »
9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #115 on: 07 Jun 2009, 13:01 »

Silly me; I should have realised that Branson's effort, though in New Mexico, is hardly "in his back yard" when he lives a couple of miles from where I'm sitting.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Trauco

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #116 on: 07 Jun 2009, 14:39 »

I've had a lot of jobs, each one of them had some awesome perks, but some AWFUL downsides. By the way, this is going to be long because I need* the morale boost;

1.- Assistant for an Artist: She had just arrived to the country and desperately needed an assistant because she had a big show in a few months, so she called a know local artist and asked for references. Somehow, the phone numbers got mixed up and she called the wrong person, I.

I was a jobless art student at the time, so i was going to work for any amount of money I got offered, the problem was that instead of being offered a amount of money, she asked ME how much assistants got paid in my country. For a second i tought about lying  (but don't ask me why I didn't) so i told her the average amount.

I had to work 15 hours a week, that meant 5 hours splitted in 3 mornings i choosed to go. She bought coffee and muffins for breakfast, every single day i worked with her.

At the end of the first week, she handed me an envelope, and I told her that it was normal in my country to get paid at the end of the month, she said it was no problem to pay me that week. (for a second there i tought i was getting fired)

I did not count the money in front of her (manners, or desperately wanting to run and buy a pack of smokes, or something), when i arrived home, i noticed that she had paid me the monthly amount i told her, i was like wtf, but i tought "language barrier, she will pay me at the beginning of each month".

Oh boy, i was wrong.

Next week passed through, and she handed me another envelope. Suffice to say that she loved working with me, and i never bothered to correct her error. But one day, she left the country.

Of course I had saved zero money, and i got used to making loads of it. I ate name-expensive-restorant-food something like 3 times a week, i spent entire afternoons at cafes with my friends, i asked women out on really expensive dates. Somehow i managed to spend all that money and buy zero permanent/semi-permanent stuff besides the vaio laptop i'm posting this with right now (maybe, just maybe, i bought some clothes, i don't remember).

The getting used to have 0 money again, was AWFUL (in fact today, 6 years later, it still bothers me how stupid i was when i was 18 :-p)

2.- Assistant for an Artist Again: He was radness Incarnate, the paid was decent. His older brother has some serious cultural relevance locally, in fact it is one of my favorite writters, everyone loves him, and for that he was always going to be under his shadow. But the thing that no one knows is that the characters in the books are him, the real thing.

He said he didn't care.

We did some really cool things, like, we did a series of paintings that got used on a film about a fictional artist, his brother, and his brother's wife, and the director sent some people to record us painting... it was disturbing to see me as a woman on the movie tho.

He was a TA at art school, we had a lot of fun with several artsy girls at a time.

He did some shows, i got to boss some people around, he sold paintings, we dressed, acted, partied like rockstars.

We went to openings, after parties, met a truckload of local celebrities/tv stars/politicians and got the chance to tell them they were morons/parasites/worthless/ignorant/sheeps/that they should read Guy Debord/Damien Hirst is so passe/save your soul/heard punk a cappella?/Mae Ueda is awesome/follow me/lets have some shots of jack daniels/do some coke/"don't worry, i'll pay" they said/blackout and they loved it, and i'm not sure what i tought.

Rinse and repeat about 3 times a week for about a year.

Somehow I managed to stay afloat, he spiraled down, last time he paid me, he let me took any CDs i wanted from his collection, i took Pink Floyd's "Animals", and walked away. I'm no one's secondary character.

See? even at the end i stayed in character (in fact today, 5 years later, it still bothers me how stupid i was when i was 19 :-p)

3.- I as an Artist:

I did it in between of everything, i had my Atelier at the fanciest spot in the city, several big canvases, a lot of paint, brushes, a big drawing board, some posh leather couches, a lounge were i could meet with my friends, kitchen, a few beds.

I invited a lot of women over the years, about 80% of them fell for it, if not, they did afterwards.

I hosted some of the best after parties there, in fact, the best one, and the last one, got me evicted.

oh yeah, some times, i painted.

Anyway, painting is too slow, and too much work, so i decided to do video art and détournements using digital tools (see? some fancy ass words to say that I photoshoped shit, and walked around with a video camera).

Bought my laptop.

Did some shows, got some media atention, sold just one fucking piece, and it was the one on the cover of the newspaper article, people is too shallow, and my Art has so much depth, they'll see later, I'm misunderstood, fuck it, i'm in this for the money, fuck art.

(in fact today, 2 years later, it still bothers me how stupid i was when i was 22 :-p)

4.- Gonna eat something. (by the way, this is really working, i'm feeling better), by the way, how does one get "permission" to post spoilers? and why you are not told about it, BEFORE you put spoilers in everything? heh, anyway, i wont go on, because without spoilers i feel this is offensively long.

*Why i need the morale boost:

I broke up with my girlfriend, the first one in years that i really care about, today at  5 am, i had to walk home (around 2 hours) and we are in the middle of the winter, and even tho i was completely drunk, i still felt cold. At some point i think that i fell, because my left hand is injured and bloodied and i can't type properly, or hold a coffee mug. Now I've got a terrible hangover (note to self: half a bottle of kentucky bourbon is not healthy), and  i think i catched a cold. FUCKING RAD
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2009, 14:56 by Trauco »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #117 on: 08 Jun 2009, 08:55 »

So guys I got a job!

I work for NYPIRG (New York Public Interest Research Group) which is a large environmental and consumer rights advocacy organization. It's pretty cool and extremely challenging.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #118 on: 08 Jun 2009, 16:07 »

I dont have one. Yay!

I love being a full time student, if I could be one forever I would.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Trauco

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #119 on: 08 Jun 2009, 17:32 »

I dont have one. Yay!

I love being a full time student, if I could be one forever I would.

That's basically what this guy does.

Writte essays, translate books, study, study, study. For example if you like Kerouac, there isn't a single decent spanish translation of "On the road". And in fact i would kill for a "spanglish" translation, specially now that they released the "uncut" version in english.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #120 on: 11 Jun 2009, 09:02 »

I'm da bawss. No, really, I kind of am! I have to go interview people tomorrow! WATCH OUT, SUCKERS, JULIA's DA BOSS LADY NOW.
I like the way you work it.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #121 on: 11 Jun 2009, 09:36 »

So guys I got a job!

I work for NYPIRG (New York Public Interest Research Group) which is a large environmental and consumer rights advocacy organization. It's pretty cool and extremely challenging.

And in what is probably the fastest change of heart ever, I despise this job.

It is the most thankless job in existence.

18 hours days suck (wake up at 6, class at 7:20, run home after school, eat, shower, go to work, come home at midnight and pass out, repeat).

My body is so physically worn out and I am so mentally exhausted that a light drizzle in the cold got me so sick on Monday night that I couldn't crawl out of bed until 6 PM yesterday.

Of course "you don't see lobbyists for the coal industry taking sick days" (my boss trying to cast Super Liberal Guilt) so I have to go back today.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #122 on: 11 Jun 2009, 13:00 »

Welcome to the working week
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #123 on: 11 Jun 2009, 17:52 »

REAL. TALK. Welcome to being an adult, Gene. I will have a similar post as yours in about 3 weeks after I'm sick and tired of dealing with everyone and everything at my camp.
I like the way you work it.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #124 on: 11 Jun 2009, 17:58 »

My job is pretty good because I'm moving to Munich to work with a gigantic laser.

p.s. Hi again
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #125 on: 11 Jun 2009, 22:45 »

You will no doubt hear of the fruits of my work soon.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #126 on: 11 Jun 2009, 22:49 »

REAL. TALK. Welcome to being an adult, Gene. I will have a similar post as yours in about 3 weeks after I'm sick and tired of dealing with everyone and everything at my camp.

Word, it's satisfying though. Also it's a really up and down job. Today was a great day and I'm reinvigorated. Also it's almost the weekend and I get to fucking party all weekend through guilt free.

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #127 on: 12 Jun 2009, 00:45 »

My job is pretty good because I'm moving to Munich to work with a gigantic laser.

p.s. Hi again

Yup. Moving to Munich is a good thing about a job to say. Cool city. Expensive, but cool. Hmm... working with lasers? Fraunhofer, Max Planck Institute, Euratom or BMO? Gigantic lasers...hmmm. Could be the Asterix Terawatt Beam in Garching. Niiiiiicee place to work. Not very far from where i hang around for my job most times.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
« Reply #128 on: 12 Jun 2009, 04:05 »

Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics in Garching.  The laser I'll be using won't have quite as much punch as some of the terawatt systems, but when you pack 700 microjoules into 4 femtoseconds you can still do a lot of crazy things. :)  Its bandwidth spans the whole visible range, so there are no goggles that are effective against it.
Here's hoping I survive my first postdoc position. 
edit: Well, hoping my eyes do anyway.  I could still totally win against it in a fist fight.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2009, 04:07 by nickyandthefuture »
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #129 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:24 »

When will you be there? I might be in munich in september.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
« Reply #130 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:40 »

I'm taking a one-way flight out of the US on the fourth of July.  Grand gesture or cheapest flight?

(cheapest flight)

I'll be around full time after that!
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #131 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:42 »

I am so tired of my job, so it's harder and harder to find something positive, but today I went out to breakfast for an hour and no one knew about it so it's all good. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #132 on: 12 Jun 2009, 13:39 »

I'm taking a one-way flight out of the US on the fourth of July.  Grand gesture or cheapest flight?

(cheapest flight)

I'll be around full time after that!

Hmm... Negative, Nicky... we could totally meet in September in one of the beer gardens. Oh. And if you want a tip from a local: Don't go on the Octoberfest. Really. Don't. We bavarians are just using it to rob all the money from tourists and then some. Everything that is there is sold at horrible prices. A "Maß" of beer will cost in 2009 there roundabout 11.5 US Dollars. For one simple liter of beer. A beer that you can buy everywhere in Munich for 3.5 Dollars (or in a beer garden for 7 Dollars). We beat out Disneyworld by far with charging prices for nothing. If you want to drink a lot of bavarian beer, party until you drop AND having folks around you speaking your language, go on one of the "german-american festivities" in the villages near the US military bases in Bavaria (like Hohenfels, Grafenwoehr, Amberg and such).

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #133 on: 12 Jun 2009, 13:58 »

Though I am an American citizen, I spent a significant chunk of my life up through my mid-20s living all over Germany.  I even got married and had my first child there.  It's been way too long since I've been there, but that's another topic entirely...

Anyway, German-American fests are a hell yes!  The ones when I lived in Bamberg were fantastic.   We used to always go to the one in Nürnberg (though I imagine that's done since they closed post there) as well as Würzburg every year.

So much fun.  Skip München, ain't worth it.

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #134 on: 12 Jun 2009, 14:12 »

Anyway, German-American fests are a hell yes! So much fun. 

Especially when you see a lot of 19-20 year old US Soldiers recognizing that by german law it is allowed for them to drink and buy anything that contains alcohol. (Low Alcohol like beer and wine is legal to teens here that reached Age 16, strong alcohol like vodka when you are 18).
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2009, 14:15 by Llewellian »

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #135 on: 12 Jun 2009, 19:06 »

Sex shop warehouse: I get to play with dildos, send silly emails to the shops, I like my co-workers and I get to finish/take breaks on time!! This is not true of my other job.

Vet: I get to work with animals, and talk to other people who find pus and blood interesting. My boss is happy for me to randomly take time off for depression (contemplating this right now, not a common issue), pays me more than my co-workers of similar experience because I tried to quit, and would probably pay for me to finish my vet nursing if I thought I could concentrate well enough to do it.

Trust me when I say there are many cons to these jobs too, but they pretty much all come down to people. The jobs themselves are sweet and the environment is mostly great.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
« Reply #136 on: 12 Jun 2009, 20:28 »

Hmm... Negative, Nicky... we could totally meet in September in one of the beer gardens. Oh. And if you want a tip from a local: Don't go on the Octoberfest. Really. Don't. We bavarians are just using it to rob all the money from tourists and then some. Everything that is there is sold at horrible prices. A "Maß" of beer will cost in 2009 there roundabout 11.5 US Dollars. For one simple liter of beer. A beer that you can buy everywhere in Munich for 3.5 Dollars (or in a beer garden for 7 Dollars). We beat out Disneyworld by far with charging prices for nothing. If you want to drink a lot of bavarian beer, party until you drop AND having folks around you speaking your language, go on one of the "german-american festivities" in the villages near the US military bases in Bavaria (like Hohenfels, Grafenwoehr, Amberg and such).

I accidentally went to Munich during Octoberfest last year.  I went to a conference in Paris in September, and decided to visit some German labs afterward.  I didn't even realize until I got to Munich why it had been so hard to book a hotel!  I should have figured it out from the fact that so many professors were out of town that week.  The first thing that I saw entering the festival grounds at night was a man in lederhosen urinating on the side of a van.  Every German I told about this has insisted that he was either from the US or UK.  Either way, I think I got the totality of the experience at that moment.

But yeah, some sort of QC bavarian get-together sounds interesting!
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #137 on: 12 Jun 2009, 22:58 »

The positive thing I have to say about my job is that soon I will have a different one. I do not want to go into detail for fear of getting my hopes up.

Yunior

• Furry furrier
« Reply #138 on: 14 Jun 2009, 20:52 »

So I do not have a job, but I have 17 interviews this coming week and I will have a job by the end of June if it kills me. But I did discover something awesome about working, which is work clothes! Blazers! I mean, why are people not wearing blazers all the time my god they are beautiful.

That is really all I have positive to say about my coming week of interviews. Back when I said "I will have a job by the end of June," I actually meant "I am going into the journalism industry and my prospective employers find my desire to enter their field hilaaaarious." I might not have a job this summer. Unless it involves Twittering, because evidently, as a young journalist, this is all I am good for.
[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara

wafflecone

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #139 on: 14 Jun 2009, 21:12 »

my job is actually giving me hours starting tomorrow! i will be able to afford to eat and stuff when i go back to school maybe!!

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #140 on: 14 Jun 2009, 22:00 »

It will be over soon
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #141 on: 15 Jun 2009, 04:11 »

So I do not have a job, but I have 17 interviews this coming week and I will have a job by the end of June if it kills me. But I did discover something awesome about working, which is work clothes! Blazers! I mean, why are people not wearing blazers all the time my god they are beautiful.

That is really all I have positive to say about my coming week of interviews. Back when I said "I will have a job by the end of June," I actually meant "I am going into the journalism industry and my prospective employers find my desire to enter their field hilaaaarious." I might not have a job this summer. Unless it involves Twittering, because evidently, as a young journalist, this is all I am good for.

Man tell me about it. I am currently an intern at a large newspaper and everyone is basically cracking nervous jokes about redundancies all the time, because there's basically a new round of redundancies every week. Also about 80% of the writing staff seem to be over 40.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

cmdrnmartin

« Reply #142 on: 16 Jun 2009, 21:11 »

Well, there's the power, the money, the prestige...

But the most positive thing about the job is that I enjoy doing it.  Work that doesn't feel like work.  That's awesome on all the required levels.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #143 on: 17 Jun 2009, 03:45 »

Today I get to explain to a bunch of people why all my folks not only get to keep their jobs, but why I can take on some of the other folks people who think they are about to lose their jobs and put them on my crew, and we get to hire some new people too.    By noon, I should be somewhat of a hero.

If my job was really great, this news would be greeted with complimentary blowjobs and popsicles, but I think just sighs of relief and gratitude will have to do.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #144 on: 17 Jun 2009, 21:14 »

my jobs are piss easy. i get an excellent discount on sexy, sexy electronics. business is sort of bad right now so i can take time off kind of whenever i want and they don't care too much, although i might wait a little while before i start abusing this because oh god my bills
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Zingoleb

« Reply #145 on: 18 Jun 2009, 09:42 »

I work for my father now, who is a dimwit, but because of this I get to pretty much control most of his business, get about half profits, get to smoke pot and drink alcohol on the job and basically do whatever the fuck I want as long as the work gets done.

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
  • The pheasant has no agenda
« Reply #146 on: 19 Jun 2009, 14:17 »

If I want to build something involving plasma or lasers then no-one's going to mind and they might even get fascinated and help.

Also, we can have our elevenses out in the garden and maybe a barbeque for lunch!

Plus lots of pretty young women work here.
Unique Quarks - For when Antimatter just isn't destructive enough.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #147 on: 19 Jun 2009, 19:07 »

It's over.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #148 on: 19 Jun 2009, 19:40 »

Today I helped a person with the last name "Bonin" and another whose last name was "Nipples". Awesome!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #149 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:20 »

oh man i think "nipples" might just beat that one time i worked at a call center and spoke to a dude named "mr. gubbles". he sounded very old and serious. there were actually tears running down my face because i was trying so hard not to laugh at him over the phone.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up