THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 22:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: May 25-29, 2009  (Read 71250 times)

Über

Re: WCT: May 25-29, 2009
« Reply #100 on: 27 May 2009, 08:39 »

Well now. An extreme OCD sufferer living in the same building as what appears to be an unapologetic slob.

The confrontation will be epic.
How do you know it's the same appartment building? Could be a compeltely different building. I guess since the AnthroPC's know each other, but that doesn't really mean anything. Pintsize seems to have no trouble getting around. They could've met on the interblag.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #101 on: 27 May 2009, 08:44 »

Well now. An extreme OCD sufferer living in the same building as what appears to be an unapologetic slob.

How do you know it's the same appartment building? Could be a compeltely different building. I guess since the AnthroPC's know each other, but that doesn't really mean anything. Pintsize seems to have no trouble getting around. They could've met on the interblag.

Yeah, I was thinking the same... but scratch that last word.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #102 on: 27 May 2009, 08:45 »

That was the first thing I thought when the shot of her apartment was shown.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Shok Xone Studios

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #103 on: 27 May 2009, 09:06 »

Y'know, you're right, I might have jumped the gun on that comment. In #1298, where Momo-tan first appears, Pintsize says she moved in "down the block". Which likely means literally down the block from the building, or even just down the "apartment block"...if that expression even makes sense.

Still, Hanners can probably sense the proximity. She'll smell it on Marten and Dora when next she sees them.
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #104 on: 27 May 2009, 09:14 »

THE ANTI-HANNELORE COMETH

Hmm... Compulsive hoarder* vs cleanliness obsession. If they're ever in the same room together it could mean the end of the world as we know it. (You know how matter and anti-matter react?  It would be kind of like that.)

Oddly enough both issues are rooted in OCD.

* With all the old bowls with flies around, the piles of junk everywhere, and her insistence that nobody touches 'ANYTHING', it sure seems like there's something like this going on.

So will Marigold be a semi-regular like Lydia, or just a one-shot deal like Tortura?
« Last Edit: 27 May 2009, 09:18 by bicostp »

teh pwn queen

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Capiam vos in obscurum
    • Just fucking click it
« Reply #105 on: 27 May 2009, 09:19 »

That messy room? That was mine about week ago. (Father coming into town)
That long brunette hair? That was me two years ago.
Glasses? Eleven years ago.
Gaming? Since the day I was born!
(Not really. Probably since I was four, since I think my motor functions most likely sucked for the first couple years)

I think I'm going to like this character, I certainly hope there's more of her to come...
« Last Edit: 27 May 2009, 09:28 by teh pwn queen »
I haven't logged in on the forum in literally 10 years and my website URL was still my MySpace profile...

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #106 on: 27 May 2009, 09:21 »

she kinda reminds me of Morgana (who?) http://flakypastry.runningwithpencils.com/cast.php
looks only
anyway
*was getting tired of that slug*

Juniper Jade

• Larger than most fish
  • brb picking up high school boys
    • Myspaces
« Reply #107 on: 27 May 2009, 09:30 »

I don't think I know anyone who's into both Guild Wars and Inuyasha.
I like GW and Inu Yasha! :D

I think Marigold and Hanners are going to end up being best fwiends, a nice little odd couple set up would be cute between the two of them.
"Happiness is the secret to all beauty. There is no beauty that is attractive without happiness." - Christian Dior

westrim

« Reply #108 on: 27 May 2009, 09:42 »

Is anyone else bugged by the stereotypes the new character presents? I mean, aside from Hannelore's OCD (which Jeph has too, so it's excusable), no other character has presented such an extreme set of assumptions as this one. And not good stereotypes but negative ones. As an anime and gaming fan who manages such basic skills as showering, getting haircuts, and using sinks/trashcans, it bugs me that the first representation we get of those interests in a character is a hikkikomori who is so messy they have a rat infestation.

But now that I'm finished whining, by Angus does she mean THE Angus? The one that's been heckling Faye?

maveric1984

« Reply #109 on: 27 May 2009, 09:53 »

My room used to look like that.  No rats or flys, but everything else.

littlefox

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #110 on: 27 May 2009, 10:48 »

Is anyone else bugged by the stereotypes the new character presents? I mean, aside from Hannelore's OCD (which Jeph has too, so it's excusable), no other character has presented such an extreme set of assumptions as this one. And not good stereotypes but negative ones. As an anime and gaming fan who manages such basic skills as showering, getting haircuts, and using sinks/trashcans, it bugs me that the first representation we get of those interests in a character is a hikkikomori who is so messy they have a rat infestation.

Yes, I agree one thousandfold! I commented this morning on this thread, saying basically the same thing, but maybe a little less eloquently/nicely than you did.
I strongly dislike the stereotype that Marigold represents. Not that stereotypes can't be funny -- they DEFINITELY can be funny, and comics should be all about exaggerating for humor and blah blah (as I said in my comment, QC is basically just a mockery of indie kids and their culture, which resonates pretty well because Jeph is a part of this and knows how to represent/mock it). I just feel like this was a swing and a miss, for me and apparently you as well.

circa_90

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #111 on: 27 May 2009, 11:32 »

BEHOLD, TIS HANNEROK.

Damn it.

I REALLY wanted to make this joke.

Oh well ... missed opportunity.

GG Crono

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #112 on: 27 May 2009, 11:39 »

Just because somebody's a hardcore gamer/otaku/etc doesn't mean they can't be a complete slob as well. It happens!
"What's the point of being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?"

Deadrocks

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #113 on: 27 May 2009, 11:46 »

I'm going to laugh when Marigold ends up being a hardcore runescape player. :-P

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #114 on: 27 May 2009, 12:07 »

Oversensitive gamers ITT
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #115 on: 27 May 2009, 12:08 »

Just because somebody's a hardcore gamer/otaku/etc doesn't mean they can't be a complete slob as well. It happens!

THANK YOU! The reason stereotypes exist is because some people fit them exactly.

I had this whole longer post done up about what a slobbety hoarder I was before I moved in with The Man and how I'm still into gaming and anime, but then I decided that was all unnecessary and cut it out. Then I felt the truncated post just looked weird and tacked this bit on at the end.

« Last Edit: 27 May 2009, 12:26 by maddness »
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #116 on: 27 May 2009, 12:12 »

FUCK.

RUNESCAPE.
They say the Joker is a wanted man...

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #117 on: 27 May 2009, 12:15 »

Just because somebody likes games and nerdy stuff and is a complete slob doesn't mean they are a hardcore gamer, either.

*looks at Marigold's room*
*looks at his own room*
*sighs*

Excuse me, it suddenly occurs to me that I have some housework to do.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

frullic

• Furry furrier
  • Warning: Contents under parental pressure.
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #118 on: 27 May 2009, 12:16 »

wow, a slob fem-anon otaku... I think I'm in love
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #119 on: 27 May 2009, 12:20 »

frullic - that avatar is awesome.  And I like Marigold already.

:-D
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

johnnynutty

• Not quite a lurker
  • Quick...say something...darn.
« Reply #120 on: 27 May 2009, 14:46 »

Also, if Jeph simply uses Marigold as an opportunity to make fun of creepy cosplayers he meets at comic/anime conventions ... I'm going to be kind of disappointed. (NOTE: Not mad! Disappointed.) It's okay for him to make fun of skinny indie kids because he is one, but Jeph, are you sure you understand what type of dorkdom you're delving into here? For example, I don't think I know anyone who's into both Guild Wars and Inuyasha. I'm sure that person exists, BUT. I'm just pointing out that this looks like a smattering of random fandoms ("I've heard dorks talk about this!" "And also, this!"), not a comprehensive character. Hopefully you know someone like this and you're basing Marigold on him/her, otherwise ... this looks really random, plus titling it Yaoi Zone when there's CLEARLY no Yaoi in either the comic or Marigold's room ... it's very 'Hai gaiz Im going to try my hand at a funy stereotyep~ get it bcz anime/gamer/cosplayer?/I don't even KNOW nerds are LAEM"

In conclusion, I kind of hope Marigold goes away. They say to write what you know.

I disagree with the notion that there's no such thing as a broad-guage nerd. I fully admit that I'm not a king of any particular realm of nerddom, but I personally consider myself a jack of all niches. To imply that someone can't occasionally watch Inuyasha on Adult Swim before popping a Battlestar dvd in to watch while blogging about how the new Whedon-less Buffy is going to suck with WoW in another window (of course, only a level 40-something character. Being good at WoW really does take more time than any human with social skills can devote) is very limiting. There are Renaissance Nerds. None of us can clean our rooms though.

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #121 on: 27 May 2009, 14:50 »

yeah, my room is a smelly dump with computers, screens, a lizard, and a fuckton of empty perrier bottles

MrDorman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #122 on: 27 May 2009, 14:58 »

Seeing nerds of this magnitude is comforting to me in a way. Whenever I feel like a total looser, I can just think of those who are worse than I. ;p

BladeDancer

• Not quite a lurker
  • It's hard to be a filler
« Reply #123 on: 27 May 2009, 15:03 »

Oversensitive gamers ITT

Exactly what I though when I finished reading the posts. Touchy.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #124 on: 27 May 2009, 15:49 »

:lol:

I just noticed that her bed is covered with boxes of 'POCKY'!

Awesome!

My blog

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #125 on: 27 May 2009, 16:14 »

So who are we shipping Marigold with?     Or are we referring to her as the Anti-Hanners?   

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #126 on: 27 May 2009, 16:16 »

shipping? "omgomgomgomgomg hanners <3 marigold lez scisors lololololol"

forums ruined my life

Evil_Lathander

• Larger than most fish
  • Fighting The World
« Reply #127 on: 27 May 2009, 16:49 »

Hanners and Marigold, sitting in a tree.
K.I.S.S.I.N.G.
HUMANITY CAN SUCK MY HARDDRIVE

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #128 on: 27 May 2009, 17:17 »

OMG HANNIGOLD
There is no sin except stupidity

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #129 on: 27 May 2009, 17:25 »

OMG HANNIGOLD
Or perhaps.....Mariners?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #130 on: 27 May 2009, 18:07 »

Or perhaps you should stop with all the lame slash fiction combos?  I know that's probably a little too much to ask, but fuck, a man can dream, right?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #131 on: 27 May 2009, 18:09 »

I mean, it's creepy as all hell, and not the good kind of creepy.  The "get away from my window, I can hear you masturbating out there and I am calling the Police you fucking pervert!" creepy.

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #132 on: 27 May 2009, 18:10 »

This is the internet. It is madness, also SPARTAAA! Do you seriously expect seriousness on a forum??

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #133 on: 27 May 2009, 18:16 »

I don't expect "seriousness" I just expect that people won't constantly act like skeevy fucks.

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #134 on: 27 May 2009, 18:19 »

well, welcome to teh interwebs, leave all sanity, seriousness, or grammar behind.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #135 on: 27 May 2009, 18:21 »

Thank you for trying to tell me about the "interwebs."  How very helpful of you.

One small difference is that I can't ban people for being skeevy dickheads on "the interwebs" and I can here.

I mean, you're all "hurr hurr hurr, I wanna fuck a comic character, hurrr"

all "hurr a hurr hurr, X and Y are purdy, you should make 'em fuck, a-durrrr"

Jesus Christ, listen to yourselves.

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #136 on: 27 May 2009, 20:09 »

But, is the Internet not serious business?

And besides, yes, it's a forum concerning a comic, something meant for entertainment and amusement. So we're just amusing ourselves here on the forums. We're not all about to sit pleasantly around a small table with tea and biscuits, enjoying rousing tales of frivolity from our carefree youth. Then the festivities are abruptly interrupted, and we enjoy a good-natured chuckle as a member of the group drops his monocle into his tea. The pattern of the splatter upon his top-hot is indeed most amusing. Aha! Good show then! Huzzah, what fun!

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #137 on: 27 May 2009, 20:15 »

But, is the Internet not serious business?

And besides, yes, it's a forum concerning a comic, something meant for entertainment and amusement. So we're just amusing ourselves here on the forums. We're not all about to sit pleasantly around a small table with tea and biscuits, enjoying rousing tales of frivolity from our carefree youth. Then the festivities are abruptly interrupted, and we enjoy a good-natured chuckle as a member of the group drops his monocle into his tea. The pattern of the splatter upon his top-hot is indeed most amusing. Aha! Good show then! Huzzah, what fun!

A thousand internets to you sir! also Rule 20.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #138 on: 27 May 2009, 20:22 »

FUCK.

RUNESCAPE.

Shouldn't that be RUN!!!! ESCAPE!!!!  :D

Yes, I am a Runescape victim

*USS HanTai goes to Red Alert*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cory54321

• Not quite a lurker
  • ZING!
« Reply #139 on: 27 May 2009, 21:02 »

*USS HanTai goes to Red Alert*

Maybe there can be a HanTai/Marigold threeway!

*ahem*

*goes back to lurking*
MWUAHAHAHAHA

Sporky

« Reply #140 on: 27 May 2009, 21:18 »

InuYasha? Really?

Yeck.

Well, I guess a new character is still pretty cool. Why do 90% of them have to be female, though? Like seriously... I mean, the male characters aren't totally shafted, but they're a pretty small chunk of the cast.

Also this is unrelated but at first I thought Momo-tan's owner might be Sara. No, this doesn't make any sense. But it was only a wild guess anyway and I was pretty sure it wasn't the case.

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #141 on: 27 May 2009, 21:24 »

Quote from: est
Or perhaps you should stop with all the lame slash fiction combos?  I know that's probably a little too much to ask, but fuck, a man can dream, right?

I mean, it's creepy as all hell, and not the good kind of creepy.  The "get away from my window, I can hear you masturbating out there and I am calling the Police you fucking pervert!" creepy.

I don't expect "seriousness" I just expect that people won't constantly act like skeevy fucks.
I love you.

In a non-creeper way.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #142 on: 27 May 2009, 21:56 »

Kugai and Cory have been temp-banned for three days for creepiness.

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #143 on: 27 May 2009, 22:27 »

Annnd I'm glad I included my "Non-creepy" part.

Also, Marigold likes Hentai. As to be expected.

Wonder if the living room is as messy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #144 on: 27 May 2009, 22:37 »

What if Marigold is a hacker stereotype as opposed to a gamer stereotype?

The slobbery (slobbishness? slobbosity?) is part of the popular image of a hacker, she's known to have technical skillz, and invested in a high-end AnthroPC. Maybe she's a hacker into games rather than a gamer into hacking.

Feerless Preediction: she'll turn out to be more complicated than a stereotype.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #145 on: 27 May 2009, 22:48 »

Yotsuba...?

...oh...NO...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

SilverPhoenix

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #146 on: 27 May 2009, 22:49 »

Hannedata?

/geek

BarGamer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #147 on: 27 May 2009, 23:39 »

FUCK. RUNESCAPE.

That is the first time I've seen that joke, given that I gave up on Runescape shortly after paid content was implemented. Props to you.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #148 on: 28 May 2009, 01:16 »

FUCK. RUNESCAPE.

That is the first time I've seen that joke, given that I gave up on Runescape shortly after paid content was implemented. Props to you.

And that's the fucking fifth time this week someone said never to have heard of that painfully obvious joke. Huh?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

BarGamer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #149 on: 28 May 2009, 01:21 »

I just peeked into the forums to comment on Marigold.

... Which I forgot to do. Um...

She's awesome. There we go. XD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up