Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Up  (Read 34959 times)

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
Re: Up
« Reply #50 on: 16 Jun 2009, 06:50 »

Hate to break it to you, but it's a kid's movie.  That's what they do. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #51 on: 16 Jun 2009, 07:08 »

If a kid is incapable of shutting up during the movie, don't take them to the movie?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #52 on: 16 Jun 2009, 07:26 »

Well, I thought it was cute, and it was only the one kid, but the Girl (who ironically is an early childhood edumacator) was starting to get annoyed.  Maybe it was a bad idea to sneak beer in?
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #53 on: 16 Jun 2009, 07:27 »

Interesting to see the different reactions to the Pixar films here.  Ratatouille is my favorite Pixar film, I thought WALL-E was pretty much standard-level Pixar (i.e., still better than just about every other animation company), and Up is between those levels.

You know what really impressed me about the story?  The way it tread lightly on the relationships of loss.  Like, I kept waiting for an apparition or vision of Ellie to show up at an important turning point---sitting in the chair next to Carl over the falls, or maybe a Lion King-style cloud cameo---but Pixar didn't stoop to that cliche.  Or that Russell's parents' divorce was just ever-so-slightly hinted at.  I could easily imagine a different studio playing that up for maximum pathos.

Also, good lord were the dogs and Kevin funny.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2009, 07:42 by rynne »
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #54 on: 16 Jun 2009, 08:17 »

I thought they were actually pretty heavy handed with that stuff, really, but it was so central to the theme that it was justifiable, particularly since as you said they kept away from a lot of the more annoying animated cliches. Besides, I think if anything too many stories feature it as a plot point but don't really deal with it honestly or give it the weight it deserves. Video games and anime in particular are often repeat offenders on this count; many characters either carry a deliriously over-sized chip on their shoulder over loss or else they go about their business as usual aside from the fact that they'll spout a few monologues about why they must carry on. Basically, they're jam packed with bathos. Even worse, this empty headed devotion is often further devalued by being aimed squarely at a character we never get a chance to know. Up! stayed away from that and was a far more evocative movie for it; they really nailed the "Show, don't tell" maxim.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2009, 08:38 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #55 on: 16 Jun 2009, 08:41 »

Up! stayed away from that and was a far more evocative movie for it; they really nailed the "Show, don't tell" maxim

Exactly, I think you said what I was aiming for better than I did.

I was thinking that in most family movies, that part of the story would've been more clunky and explicit, either because the writers didn't have enough craft to do it well (I can't imagine Russell's family life being explained any more poignantly than his simple, "Phyllis isn't my mom") or because they thought kids wouldn't understand if a character didn't literally speak his feelings.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #56 on: 16 Jun 2009, 11:10 »

If a kid is incapable of shutting up during the movie, don't take them to the movie?

While I'd normally agree with this in the instance of anything above a PG rating, I think you're way off base in this situation. Adult Pixar fans are starting to get the same kind of elitist attitude that adult video game fans have developed. A kind of justification that since adults can enjoy it too, everything should be targeted directly at them since they have all the money, usually at the expense of children (As exhibited in the constant bitching about Nintendo's all ages mentality). The fact of the matter is that this is a clear and obvious kids movie that's beautifully made in a manner that the parents won't be ripping their hair out if they take their kid to see it (Much as they would were they forced to drag their kid out to the Hannah Montana movie).

Kids talk. Kids talk a lot. People who can't deal with kids spouting pointless crap during a movie shouldn't be going to see kids' movies. It's like going to France and bitching about all the people who don't speak English.

Instead of people bitching about kids shitting up their experience, they should be thankful that Pixar even goes out of their way to make sure adults will enjoy it too.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #57 on: 16 Jun 2009, 11:13 »

Nah, fuck kids.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #58 on: 16 Jun 2009, 11:17 »

As a disclaimer, I will say that people shouldn't take kids to more teen to adult oriented movies if they can't shut up. A kid yelling "OMG PUPPY!" during something like Up isn't going to kill the experience, but a screaming baby at Incredible Hulk and some kid yelling every time something happened in X2 were annoying.

In terms of the Hulk experience, though, I'll concede that crying babies should be removed from theaters ASAP. I don't give a shit if you want to see the movie, if your kid is screaming their lungs out, they're clearly not enjoying the flick and you're ruining the other kids' experience.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #59 on: 16 Jun 2009, 11:46 »

I'm mostly joking anyway; the only time I really got upset over kids being in a theater was when I ended up with half of an ice cold soda tossed on me as two children behind me started a screaming match. Of course, the real key point there is parenting, particularly since the movie in question was 300 and neither of those kids could have been older than 7. I bet once the film was over that family went to Blockbuster and rented Deliverance and Silence of the Lambs in order to bag the bad parenting hat trick.

Anyway, whenever I want to see a Pixar movie with a minimum of screaming I just shoot for a weekday matinee or a late show near the end of the film's run (only really applicable in the 'burbs or small towns). If you're really unlucky you might end up sharing the theater with an entire class of school children, but it'll be practically empty just as often. It'd be nice to be able to get a perfect experience every time, but going to a kids movie on opening weekend and expecting silence is roughly as likely as successfully telling the tide to pack that shit in.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2009, 11:48 by Alex C »

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #60 on: 16 Jun 2009, 11:56 »

What he said^^^

When I saw Up last night it was all adult couples.  Literally not a single child in the theater.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #61 on: 16 Jun 2009, 12:13 »

This was REALLY FUCKING GOOD.  My favorite one so far.  There was one little kid in the audience who kept saying whatever was on his mind, though. 

"Uh oh, the balloons are gone!"
"Puppies!"
"The birdie is funny!"

Ad Nauseum.

In the context of it being a movie primarily intended for kids of that age, I would have found such a thing to have enhanced the movie. Sure, I'm a rose-lensed idealist, but I figure that the average human being has roughly 80% of their lifespan devoted to having all sense of wonder and magic and other childish  things bludgeoned the fuck out of them...so I'm not going to bitch about a kid still clinging to a few remaining lifelines of being, well...a kid.

It always bums me out whenever I see a kid acting amazed at something they see, or wanting to show everyone within earshot something incredible they found, only to be told to shut up and sit still. I'd never say anything to the parents because it's not my right to tell them how to raise their kid, but it always depresses me when I see it happen.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #62 on: 16 Jun 2009, 12:21 »

It would have been cuter if all the other kids had said anything.  There were at least 30 children present, and he was the only one talking, with an outside voice.  Like I said, it wasn't bothering me all that much, because he didn't do it very often, but it was getting on other peoples' nerves.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Will

« Reply #63 on: 16 Jun 2009, 12:24 »

I have an extraordinary amount of patience with kids, which is weird because I generally don't like people and have a low tolerance for what I percieve to be stupidity or bullshit. For some reason, kids from around the age of 2-10 don't annoy me though.
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #64 on: 16 Jun 2009, 12:30 »

I don't really believe in treating kids much different from adults. I like kids, and oddly enough, I'm pretty good with them, but I don't think they (or anyone) needs to prattle on to appreciate the world around them. Showing regard for others isn't the same as having to swallow your dreams. Granted, I've been told that I'm actually just plain pretty patient in general, so maybe that has more to do with my view point than anything else.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2009, 12:33 by Alex C »

Will

« Reply #65 on: 16 Jun 2009, 12:42 »

I don't think it's a necessity to prattle on about everything, and of course like all other aspects of life there's the fact that moderation is key. But I don't think it's right of me or any other adult to get pissed off at a 5 year old just because he says "Look, Mommy! A flower!"

To preface my next point, this isn't directed at you, because I don't think you meant it this way, but in regards to this:
Showing regard for others isn't the same as having to swallow your dreams.

I see a lot of adults who think that '"regard for others" is a one-way street that actually means "regard for me," and expect that everything in the world should operate tailored to suit their tastes. If your at a church service, or in a business meeting, or some other "adult" function, that's one thing, but again I see no reason why a child for whom a movie like Up was made should have to sit in utter silence to cater to my personal movie-watching preferences.

Again, I quote your post without meaning to insinuate that's how I think you were trying to come across. I'm just explaining a little more what I was saying earlier.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #66 on: 16 Jun 2009, 13:08 »

I mean exactly what I said. If you are harming the experience of others than you should consider the possibility that you should refrain from that. You can look at that as having unreasonable expectations or you can look at it as believing that accountability is a virtue. It's not about children knowing their place, it's about learning how to act in public places under various circumstances. I dunno, maybe it's the private schooling and having a drill sergeant for a grandfather talking, but it never really bothered me much to get shushed occasionally.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2009, 13:18 by Alex C »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #67 on: 16 Jun 2009, 15:20 »

While I'd normally agree with this in the instance of anything above a PG rating, I think you're way off base in this situation. Adult Pixar fans are starting to get the same kind of elitist attitude that adult video game fans have developed. A kind of justification that since adults can enjoy it too, everything should be targeted directly at them since they have all the money, usually at the expense of children (As exhibited in the constant bitching about Nintendo's all ages mentality). The fact of the matter is that this is a clear and obvious kids movie that's beautifully made in a manner that the parents won't be ripping their hair out if they take their kid to see it (Much as they would were they forced to drag their kid out to the Hannah Montana movie).

Kids talk. Kids talk a lot. People who can't deal with kids spouting pointless crap during a movie shouldn't be going to see kids' movies. It's like going to France and bitching about all the people who don't speak English.

Instead of people bitching about kids shitting up their experience, they should be thankful that Pixar even goes out of their way to make sure adults will enjoy it too.

No, I have this opinion on any movie made by anyone targetted at anyone. There should not be three year olds in a theater. Period. They're not going to remember seeing the movie in the theater. They're not going to care about having seen the movie in the theater. They're fucking three years old. Rent a dang movie and hire a babysitter if you want to go see the movie, but don't bring a kid whose sole fascination with the movie is talking about the fact that there's a dog on the screen. They can do that at home.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #68 on: 16 Jun 2009, 15:32 »

ITT: Jordan expresses his distaste for fun.

I saw Empire Strikes Back for the first time when I was three and I'll always remember. The first movie I saw in theaters was Snow White and, while I did not really enjoy it, I can vaguely remember it and it's about the only thing I can remember from that far back. I didn't make it back to a theater until I was thirteen and the original Star Wars movies were being re-released and I feel as if I missed out big time.

It's not just the movie, it's the experience of going to a theater when you're before that age where you become jaded about dealing with the crowds and the prices and all that.

Not to mention Faye is three and she seemed to enjoy the experience. We often have at least vaguely similar opinions, Jordan, but on this one I think you're way out of line. The movie was made for kids. If you don't like dealing with kids and their mannerisms, maybe you should see something made for adults instead. Maybe consider taking in Wolverine next time.
JON MADE ME GAY

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #69 on: 16 Jun 2009, 16:22 »

I can see where it could bother people if kids are noisy.  See a later showing when you know they're mostly in bed, I guess. 

When I took Faye, she loved it and most of the people in the theater were children... a lot of them in booster seats and most of them laughing at the dogs and pointing out the balloons.  It made them all  love it more and for the $6 I paid to see it, it made me smile that they were all having fun.  It's not about remembering they were in the theater.  It's about the experience and seeing something new.  I mean, if I only took her to things she'd remember, I'd never take her anywhere until she was 5 and she would never have fun. 

Will

« Reply #70 on: 19 Jun 2009, 07:50 »

Bump for amazing story

Basically, Pixar gave a private screening of Up for a 10 year old girl who was dying of cancer, whose wanted to see the movie but was too sick to go anywhere.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I do believe I must have gotten something in my eye...

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #71 on: 19 Jun 2009, 09:21 »

I'm not sure it's appropriate to weep at work, but man.  That's... wow.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #72 on: 19 Jun 2009, 09:33 »

Oh goddammit now I am all teared up at work too what the fuck
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #73 on: 19 Jun 2009, 09:35 »

I'm not crying.  These are manly tears, tears of pure manliness.  They make hair grow when you slather them on stuff.  I need a tissue.

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #74 on: 19 Jun 2009, 09:42 »

I too have something in my eye, but I think that this synopsis leaves a little bit to be desired...

After losing his wife in old age, the now grumpy man deals with his loss by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, flying into the sky, and going on an adventure with a little boy.

:<

Will

« Reply #75 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:24 »

I find it fortunate that I've never carried a ManCard in my wallet, because I'm pretty sure after reading that story, I would have had to turn in in for a period of 1000 years.

The fact that Pixar officially responded with "No comment" is amazing..."Yeah, we did let the girl watch the movie, but let's not make a big deal out of it." What other company would actually do that, and not jump at the chance for the good PR?

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #76 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:25 »

Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #77 on: 19 Jun 2009, 12:38 »

Wow, that's a really great story.

Getting back to the movie, I still really liked it.  I think I liked it a little bit more because I went to a 10:50 p.m. showing, and there was barely anyone there, and it put me in a good mood after having a really shitty week.  But some of the things were really damn funny, like when he's coming down the stairs in his house and the chair stops.  Also, Dug & all the dogs were great, mostly because I could absolutely see my own dog doing any of those things, if he was able to speak.

I still feel like it's one of the best Pixar movies.  Cars was pretty meh, I saw (at least the second half, if not more) of Ratatoulle, and thought that was meh, and admittedly never saw WALL-E.  Trust me, this is still on my 'must see soon' list.  But this was beautifully done and well handled.

And it probably was just me but the little kid in the abandoned house at the very beginning of the movie-I totally did not make the connection she was even a GIRL.  Not until Carl was looking back at old photos, and one was the kid with a bow in her hair (which she did not have on in the first scene) did I realize she was Ellie.  But it's probably just me.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #78 on: 19 Jun 2009, 14:45 »

:cry:

That is a pretty awesome thing for Pixar to do.

On the movie: I thought it was really amazing (especially in 3D), my only complaints are that sometimes the slapstick got a bit too out of hand, and it felt really fast paced and could've been a little longer.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #79 on: 19 Jun 2009, 19:41 »

Nah, shorter is almost always better.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #80 on: 19 Jun 2009, 21:34 »

She didn't say that.

ptfreak

• Plantmonster
« Reply #81 on: 27 Jun 2009, 23:07 »

Length is better when it's deserved. Dark Knight deserved it's time. Superman Returns did not (I thought it made good use of the couple of hours, but then it ended abruptly and violating it's own precedents.) As for Up, I don't see it needing any more time to tell it's story. The Ellie story at the beginning was absolutely perfect and anything more or less probably would have ruined it. The story wasn't rushed, but it didn't drag on either. Also, Pixar is developing a trend of making good use of its credits time. Both Wall-E and Up continued the story in the credits, but it wasn't anything you needed to know, just showing where the story went from there.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up