THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 23:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for new Metal Music  (Read 75931 times)

edwinalink

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Likes Glitter and 4x4's
Re: Looking for new Metal Music
« Reply #100 on: 12 Jul 2009, 11:22 »

I am SOOO happy to have known about acid bath since the late 90's... I am a fan of all things dax riggs. even though most everything since Acid bath has been of a noticably lighter variety...

and Ahab.... OH.... the ass-kicking power of their Nautical Doom... :-D

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #101 on: 12 Jul 2009, 12:26 »

I am SOOO happy to have known about acid bath since the late 90's... I am a fan of all things dax riggs. even though most everything since Acid bath has been of a noticably lighter variety...

and Ahab.... OH.... the ass-kicking power of their Nautical Doom... :-D

O, I was just too young to get to know them back in the 90's and I never heard anything of them... Probably they weren't known where I lived.  :-(
I discovered them for some 3 years ago maybe... And I turned into a fan very fast since everything was perfect for me, the lyrics and the music... I felt so lucky to buy both cds. The debut would be my favorite though.
But yeah Dax Riggs is the man his voice is amazing and the lyrics he wrote.... Damn. Scream Of The Butterfly, Bones Of Baby Dolls, New Death Sensation and Dead Girl most be the best ballads I've ever heard... So twisted
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2009, 12:31 by Mr. Doctor »

edwinalink

« Reply #102 on: 12 Jul 2009, 14:02 »

what no one knows is his body of work since then! like agents of oblivion and deadboy & the elephant men... and all his solo stuff...
well, its all right there!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dax_Riggs

and I would have to thank my odd neighbors for them, since they aren't exactly popular in utah either!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #103 on: 12 Jul 2009, 14:38 »

what no one knows is his body of work since then! like agents of oblivion and deadboy & the elephant men... and all his solo stuff...
well, its all right there!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dax_Riggs

and I would have to thank my odd neighbors for them, since they aren't exactly popular in utah either!

Jejeje, well I think it's a matter of "search what you want" because I did know about his works at the same time as I listened to Acid Bath.... I give more atention to Acid Bath, that's true, because [at least for me] it's easy to find their cds.

edwinalink

« Reply #104 on: 12 Jul 2009, 18:10 »

also. Acid bath is the best thing he's ever done! LOL!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #105 on: 12 Jul 2009, 18:17 »

True... Although Angels Of Oblivion is pretty good... It's like just an entire cd of ballands a la Scream Of The Butterfly and that's awesome in my book :)

skydivingninja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #106 on: 12 Jul 2009, 21:09 »

Cynic is my first recommendation.  Prog/jazz/fusion/death metal greatness.  I can't wait for the day they have over an hour of recorded material.
Opeth is my second.  Since you like death metal as well as melodic metal, this should be right up your alley.  Start with Blackwater Park.
Amorphis.  Start with Eclipse and be amazed.

That's all I really have, actually.  I'm not too too into the modern metal scene, and what I do listen to always has those smatterings of prog in it.  The rest of it is old-school metal.  Maiden/Sabbath/Zepp/Purple/Old Metallica/Ozzy

edwinalink

« Reply #107 on: 12 Jul 2009, 22:56 »

True... Although Angels Of Oblivion is pretty good... It's like just an entire cd of ballands a la Scream Of The Butterfly and that's awesome in my book :)

I think you mean Agents... and yes... that CD gets more play right now that my acid bath does... (well, I havent had it as long!)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #108 on: 13 Jul 2009, 04:02 »

That's all I really have, actually.  I'm not too too into the modern metal scene

That's a sad fact tbh.... The metal scene is getting better just like wine. One have to just search properly.

skydivingninja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #109 on: 13 Jul 2009, 17:45 »

That's all I really have, actually.  I'm not too too into the modern metal scene

That's a sad fact tbh.... The metal scene is getting better just like wine. One have to just search properly.

Yeah, I see that, its just that what metal I do listen to has to be pretty in-fucking-credible to get my full attention, and I haven't found much of that in modern metal.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #110 on: 14 Jul 2009, 00:14 »

... so you listen to Opeth in stead?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #111 on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:20 »

Yeah, I see that, its just that what metal I do listen to has to be pretty in-fucking-credible to get my full attention, and I haven't found much of that in modern metal.

Mmmm... I undertstand, If you want I can always give you some recommendations, I will glady write abotu more bands like I did a while ago.
What kind of metal are you into?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #112 on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:56 »

« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 05:01 by KharBevNor »
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #113 on: 14 Jul 2009, 05:09 »

So I take as you don't like them very much, uh?  :lol:

I never understood that tbh. I don't understand what's the whole fuzz about them [yeah, they are one of my favorite bands but right now I can think baout 10 bands that are better]. But I also don't undertand why there are so many Opeth-haters jajajaja since there are worse bands in front of our noses.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #114 on: 14 Jul 2009, 05:38 »

I'd just like to say I've fully enjoyed this thread & it has cemented my feeling that this is the best place to discuss music. I post on a number of metal forums & they are all so petty & terrible!

I would like to add though, the best place to start when listening to metal is, Black Sabbbath. I would also like to add Pig Destroyer, Napalm Death & Carcass, but that's just the kind of stuff I listen to. Also for some British bands: Charger, Mistress, Narcosis Gruel.

Seriously lovely thread.

(Considering it's about nasty music)
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #115 on: 14 Jul 2009, 05:54 »

I'd just like to say I've fully enjoyed this thread & it has cemented my feeling that this is the best place to discuss music. I post on a number of metal forums & they are all so petty & terrible!
Seriously lovely thread.

Man.... Pig Destroyer and Napalm Death are THE shit. They almost ruined Grindcore for me because I can't find something better.
And dude, there is a nice metal forum I really really recommend. I understand that there are some shitty places like Metal Archives [I just use that one for some info] BUT I really think a place with nice people, good written reviews and just a nice place in general for discussing about serious stuff, music, as well as funny stuff and also with a great and open-minded staff is Metal Storm. I hope that in case you don't know about the site.. You could chek it out because it's a well done website and the people in general is very kind. Everytime I'm discussing with a friend that says that most of Metalheads are too agressive and narrow-minded... I tell them about this website. They also have some albums that are not metal but reviewed anyway :)
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 05:56 by Mr. Doctor »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #116 on: 14 Jul 2009, 05:57 »

So I take as you don't like them very much, uh?  :lol:

I never understood that tbh. I don't understand what's the whole fuzz about them [yeah, they are one of my favorite bands but right now I can think baout 10 bands that are better]. But I also don't undertand why there are so many Opeth-haters jajajaja since there are worse bands in front of our noses.

Well, Opeth just annoys me. First, I find the music and the creators thereof just pretentious. Second, I find die-hard Opeth addicts equally pretentious. I've tried their music on several occassions, mainly because this forum assures me, ever so often, that it's good. And every time I just come away with the feeling that I've been listening to someone's wanking on about their magnificent ideas in stead of an actual song or two.

But, to be honest, I have that with loads of music that gets praised into high heaven on this board. Let's just say that I have decided that the musical choices of this board and mine are not the same and will never be.  
My Art.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #117 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:01 »

Well, Opeth just annoys me. First, I find the music and the creators thereof just pretentious. Second, I find die-hard Opeth addicts equally pretentious. I've tried their music on several occassions, mainly because this forum assures me, ever so often, that it's good. And every time I just come away with the feeling that I've been listening to someone's wanking on about their magnificent ideas in stead of an actual song or two.

But, to be honest, I have that with loads of music that gets praised into high heaven on this board. Let's just say that I have decided that the musical choices of this board and mine are not the same and will never be.  

Pretty much EVERY fan-boy of no matter what band is an asshole. So that doesn't really tells me something and I'm not the one to judge but I think that fan-boys and haters are pretty much in the same level. Opeth is pretentious and that's a fact but I think we both know there are far worse bands that takes themselves too seriously. I'm not a great fan of technical music because I view it as great music without any sort of feeling [Dream Theater is boring as hell if you ask me].

Soooo hey, man... what do you like of metal?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #118 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:02 »

Opeth suffer from that annoying condition that affects many prog and avant-garde metal bands, in that they have obsessive fans who carp on and on and on about how amazing they are*. They are currently the biggest of these bands, having overtaken Dream Theater about two years ago, and thus you are likely, moving in metal circles, to constantly encounter people who wish to explain to you HOW FUCKING AWESOME Opeth are, when you've been listening to Opeth for about a decade. Add to this that Opeth have 'sold out', as it were, achieving huge commercial success (Watershed cracked the top 40 album charts in the US) whilst making changes in their sound that have alienated a lot of old-school fans who got into them during their first five albums, and you have most of the explanation. Exacerbating this is the fact that Opeth aren't really exceptional in any way: some of the early albums are very good, but they aren't the greatest thing ever. Also, something that sticks in my craw, which is by no means a common thing (but it should be) is people wanking on about how original Opeth are, when they are, essentially, a poor mans Edge of Sanity.

Edge of Sanity - Enigma: The Blessing/Celestial Dissension/The Loss of Hallowed Life
Edge of Sanity - Elegy
Edge of Sanity - Blood Coloured
Edge of Sanity - Of Darksome Origin
Edge of Sanity - Twilight

I'll just stop there before I link the whole of Purgatory Afterglow.

*See also: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Mr. Bungle, Dan Swano, Arjen Lucassen, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Devin Townsend, etc. etc. That said Dan Swano really is SO FUCKING AWESOME GUYZZ.

EDIT: Fuck, four replies while writing this! Shouldn't have spent so much time listening to delicious Edge of Sanity.

Everyone shut up and start listening to the awesome music I am linking for your predilection.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 06:03 by KharBevNor »
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #119 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:05 »

Diablo Swing Orchestra,

D.S.O is such a crazy band jajajaja The debut is brilliant I remember when I first listened to the first song and my jaw just fall down when the trumpet came aout of nowhere.
Have you heard the new song that they put on their Myspace? I have huge expectatives about that album.

Btw... I fail to see big similarities between Edge Of Sanity and Opeth. The again I completely agree, I find Opeth's music good, but not half as original as people use to say.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 06:12 by Mr. Doctor »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #120 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:16 »

Fanboys are assholes, but we've all been there. I just hate bands who can't play songs and just wank. That's my whole philosophy. What constitutes 'wank' changes from day to day, though.

Things I like.

Old Skyclad, to wit: WITH Walkyier, because there is no one who can turn vinnegar-pissing into such sweetly barked poetry.
Cradle Of Filth, though, of late, their albums seem to have lost a bit of quality ...
Kampfar.
Iskald.
Haggard.
Some gothy stuff.
Eluveitie.
Amon Amarth.

God, what's it called ... gets mentioned elsewhere ... Oh well, they made, Fas, Ite, Maledicti, In Ignam Eternam.

Stuff like that.
My Art.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #121 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:26 »

Deathspell Omega?

Also, we totally haven't had a classic 'Clad love-in on these forums for a while. You wanna go first?

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #122 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:32 »

God, what's it called ... gets mentioned elsewhere ... Oh well, they made, Fas, Ite, Maledicti, In Ignam Eternam.

Stuff like that.

Man... You can't go wrong with Deathspell Omega imo. I bought Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice and that's some seriosly good Black Metal. Among the best in the so called Orthodox Black Metal movement that has been quite popular at the moment. If you liked that band I recommend Ondskapt and Funeral Mist, both from Sweden. Funeral Mist is more abrassive though. But damn that kind of black is powerful. I also recommend the latest Marduk. I don't really like Marduk but ROM 5:12 experimented a lot with the orthodox movement and they did a great album [finaly]

Cradle Of Filth is nice enough... But I can only stand the first 3 albums...brilliant ones indeed, but all after that went downhill for me. Bathory Aria is a gem.

At the moment I'm more into Black, Doom and Grindcore.... Especially Doom and Black metal and all their subgenres.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 06:34 by Mr. Doctor »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #123 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:50 »

I just can't get into doom. Mostly to do with the 'vocals'. They're just abrassive ... something like ackercock (Spelling might be off) is just ... meh.

Really? CoF only the first three? I consider Midian their best album ...
My Art.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #124 on: 14 Jul 2009, 07:06 »

I just can't get into doom. Mostly to do with the 'vocals'. They're just abrassive ... something like ackercock (Spelling might be off) is just ... meh.

Sorry to hear that. Doom is probably my favorite genre EVER. because you can't cheat with Doom Metal. Because it's not about the music and go technical, it's about the feelings and atmospheres. And that's something you have or not and there's not a grey zone. I think it's the hardest to play among the metal genres.
Another thing I like about doom. Its the fact that there are a huge amount of subgenres so there's place for almost everybody. But yeah... Doom is a hard pill to swallow in every case... Except Traditional doom that it's pretty easy to digest. A genre heavily influeced by Black Sabbath [I Think Black Sabbath did more doom that heavy metal tbh]

Only growls? No man... Traditional Doom Metal bands like Candlemass, Warning and the such with clean operatic vocals are great.
And I'm also I'm really glad that Metal is involving more in the Black and Doom scenes. especially the latest since bands like Esoteric with their highly psychodelic Funeral Doom are brilliant and not for the weak of mind
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 07:11 by Mr. Doctor »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #125 on: 14 Jul 2009, 07:12 »

Yeah, stupid of me, I own two Candlemass CD's. But lately I have issues with Doom.

However, your suggestions shall be checked out in the near future.
My Art.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #126 on: 14 Jul 2009, 07:14 »

Yeah, stupid of me, I own two Candlemass CD's. But lately I have issues with Doom.

However, your suggestions shall be checked out in the near future.

Any questions and I'm glad to answer :) since I do understand your problem with doom. But I learned in the hard way that growls are a important way to express your music and that they can do as much as clean vocals.
I will put more recomendations like I did in the previous page when I don't have anything else to do.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #127 on: 14 Jul 2009, 07:46 »

Hey guys, after reading this thread I've come to the realization that I do not really listen to metal, and I don't think I really care to. Not because I think I'm better than the genre, or because I think my taste in music is superior; it's just that after checking out most of the bands in this thread (that I don't already listen to on my own) I've realized that I just don't really like it that much.

This helps me argue against my friends when they try to tell me that I am a metalhead.

Yeah, this is one of the few places on the internet that I actually enjoy discussing music. for the most part, it seems that everyone here listens to a wildly diverse mixture of music, but they all listen to the bands they like because they actually like them, not because some hispter rag told them it was the latest buzz. I like that in a forum.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #128 on: 14 Jul 2009, 08:07 »

Talking of doom Vocalists, Aaron Stainthorpe is probably one of my favourite vocalists of all time:

My Dying Bride - The Crown of Sympathy

And anyone who tries to argue that MDB aren't doom can just go eat a poo.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #129 on: 14 Jul 2009, 08:09 »

Talking of doom Vocalists, Aaron Stainthorpe is probably one of my favourite vocalists of all time:

My Dying Bride - The Crown of Sympathy

And anyone who tries to argue that MDB aren't doom can just go eat a poo.

Don't know where you got that one since Even the elitists that I know see MDB as Doom and you can't say no because along with Paradise Lost and Anathema they pretty much created the whole Doom/death era in the middle 90's
They are great though... But I do not enjoy the last two albums... They really need more inspiration because those ones suck really bad but everything before is great. Specially the debut.

skydivingninja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #130 on: 14 Jul 2009, 10:28 »

Pretty much EVERY fan-boy of no matter what band is an asshole. So that doesn't really tells me something and I'm not the one to judge but I think that fan-boys and haters are pretty much in the same level. Opeth is pretentious and that's a fact but I think we both know there are far worse bands that takes themselves too seriously. I'm not a great fan of technical music because I view it as great music without any sort of feeling [Dream Theater is boring as hell if you ask me].

Soooo hey, man... what do you like of metal?

I've never understood that argument, particularly when it comes to DT, though that may be my fandom talking.  Just because someone plays fast doesn't mean its devoid of emotion or feeling.  A good example is "Learning to Live" or "Voices" by Dream Theater.  Sure they're not taking things slow and strumming out chords like Bob Dylan or going for Gilmour-esque solos, but that hardly means that they don't put any feeling into what they're playing.

While I'm on the subject, I'll recommend Dream Theater in this thread, just because.  Buy Images and Words or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and be amazed.

Be My Head

« Reply #131 on: 14 Jul 2009, 10:38 »

Opeth are not pretentious.

Would a pretentious prog-rock band make a joke about one of their album covers being a PMS commercial? Or get the crowd to sing along to "Summer of 69' " ?

I rest my case. Opeth are far better live, go see them if you have the chance, they tour like crazy.

Also, technical wankery?

Mike has repeatedly stated that he HATES bands who are all fast wank and no soul, he loves guitarists like David Gilmour, Robin Trower, and Bert Jansch.

Listen to their music! It's not technical or wanky at all!

Also, Opeth a poor man's EoS? Dan would disagree, they both started around the same time independently and are fans of each other's music.

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #132 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:16 »

Man, a lot of words just got said about doom and "Electric" and "Wizard" were not ANY of them.  Come on guys.

Also, on the subject of doom, I just got an album by a band called White Buzz, the album's called "Book of Whyte," and it's basically fucking great.  The vocalist is definitely channeling some Al Cisneros (which is a good plan in my opinion), but there's a guitar in there, so it basically comes across as Om with more atmospherics.  I'm really enjoying it.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #133 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:18 »

I've never understood that argument, particularly when it comes to DT.

I don't understand it either. I just happen to dislike almost the entire Prog Metal scene. But people ask me: Then why do you like bands like Akercocke, Necrophagist and Opeth? And I say this:

Because they aren't pure prog but a mix of prog and other styles [in those cases death]. So yeah... I dislike prog but I can enjoy it when it's mixed with other styles.

Man, a lot of words just got said about doom and "Electric" and "Wizard" were not ANY of them.  Come on guys.

Jjajajjajajajaj man... here: *Gives a digital beer*

Electric Wizard are amazing. One of my favorite bands. I have almost the entire discography on my pc but just one cd for real and that one is the motherfucker Dopethrone. Although every cd is worth it imo.

Funeralopolis is the heaviest shit EVER.
"Nuclear warheads ready to strike... this world is so fucked. LET'S END IT TO NIGHT!!!!!!!"
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 11:23 by Mr. Doctor »

Be My Head

« Reply #134 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:23 »

One of the best Sabbath inspired Doom/Stoner metal bands I've heard in recent times has been Grand Magus. Their first album is awesome, the second a little less, and then they move away from the stoner aspects to more of a Maiden inspired epic doom feel. Both aspects of this band are awesome, and the vocalist is BADASS.

I like a lot of 80s doom, Saint Vitus, Candlemass, Cirith Ungol, etc..

IMHO, the best doom metal album is Saint Vitus' "Born Too Late".

In fact, usually a general rule of thumb for metal is "If the band started in the 80s, they're a good metal band".

Unless it's glam metal or something shitty like that.

Case in point....

FATES WARNING - THE SORCERESS

This is some serious FUCKING METAL.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 11:25 by Be My Head »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #135 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:24 »

They are great though... But I do not enjoy the last two albums... They really need more inspiration because those ones suck really bad but everything before is great. Specially the debut.

I haven't actually got round to the new MDB yet, but I personally thought A Line of Deathless Kings was something of a return to form. MDB's releases had been tailing off in quality for me since The Light at the End of the World, as they slowly lost the death metal elements and then the violin and piano, which I thought gave them a lot more texture as a band. I particularly liked 'The Blood, The Wine, The Roses' which I would pick as one of my top songs of 2006, and 'The Child of Eternity' off the Deeper Down EP. Unfortunately I think MDB will always suffer from my perspective from being unable to ever top Turn Loose the Swans, and everything that takes them further away from that sound is kind of a dissapointment for me. Also, I know plenty of people who will claim that MDB, Paradise Lost and Anathema are not 'real' doom bands and are scornful of people for liking them beyond maybe the obvious releases that are of most interest to doom fans. I've got to say that personally I find the work of both Paradise Lost and Anathema to get progressively less interesting as they went on and became drunk with their commercial success on the continent. I have similiar feelings about bands from related genres who have undergone a similiar pattern, such as Amorphis, Moonspell, Theatre of Tragedy etc., though I feel Amorphis have started to get back on track of late, and they were great when I saw them live a couple of years ago.

Also, I wasn't implying that Opeth ripped off Edge of Sanity, though Edge of Sanity released Unorthodox before Opeth even had a stable line-up and the influence is undeniable. I was simply saying that Edge of Sanity are better than Opeth. The main reason for this is song-writing. Opeths long track lengths more often than not seem to me to be symptomatic of an inability to write cohesive songs, and even a lot of my favourite Opeth songs could easily be reworked into two or more seperate tracks and be much improved for it. Apart from the obvious exceptions of Crimson and Crimson 2, Edge of Sanity displays none of this meandering, unfocused tendency. Both Swano and Dread Axellson can write some mean metal. I will agree that Opeth are a lot of fun live, but you must admit they do have a tendency to get lost up their own arse on occasion, not just musically (I think part of the unfocused songwriting is too much of a concentration on the song as concepts rather than, well, songs) but also lyrically, though they are hardly the worst offenders even in the melodeath field; and at least they seem fairly competent at english, unlike, say, old In Flames bizarre ramblings about 'squirrel wheels' and how 'conflict serum is my aura'.

Electric Wizard are doom of a very different beast. In my head, the whole stoner doom/sludge field of bands like Electric Wizard, Sleep, Ramesses, Bongzilla, Buried at Sea, Weedeater, Grief etc. is distinctly seperate from say, St. Vitus, Witchfinder General, Cathedral, Reverend Bizarre and Pentagram. Some sludge bands even resent being called metal at all.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #136 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:25 »

In fact, usually a general rule of thumb for metal is "If the band started in the 80s, they're a good metal band".

Naaah, I really don't care of the age and Metal has changed a lot and for the better if you ask me. Specially the extreme scene like Black, Doom and Grindcore.

Be My Head

« Reply #137 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:29 »

Naaah, I really don't care of the age and Metal has changed a lot and for the better if you ask me. Specially the extreme scene like Black, Doom and Grindcore.

Well, there are tons of great newer bands. But, honestly, there was a much lower ratio of shit to awesome in the 80s metal scene.

Just listen to Celtic Frost*

* Does not include the album "Cold Lake"

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #138 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:31 »

there was a much lower ratio of shit to awesome in the 80s metal scene.

Ok... Now that's a good point I can't disagree. And btw.. Celtic Frost is awesome. A sad fact that they stopped because I really wanted another album in the vein of Monotheist. They were awesome with that doom metal touch

Also, I know plenty of people who will claim that MDB, Paradise Lost and Anathema are not 'real' doom bands and are scornful of people for liking them beyond maybe the obvious releases that are of most interest to doom fans. I've got to say that personally I find the work of both Paradise Lost and Anathema to get progressively less interesting as they went on and became drunk with their commercial success on the continent. I have similiar feelings about bands from related genres who have undergone a similiar pattern, such as Amorphis, Moonspell, Theatre of Tragedy etc., though I feel Amorphis have started to get back on track of late, and they were great when I saw them live a couple of years ago.

Electric Wizard are doom of a very different beast. In my head, the whole stoner doom/sludge field of bands like Electric Wizard, Sleep, Ramesses, Bongzilla, Buried at Sea, Weedeater, Grief etc. is distinctly seperate from say, St. Vitus, Witchfinder General, Cathedral, Reverend Bizarre and Pentagram. Some sludge bands even resent being called metal at all.

Call me crazy but I fucking enjoy Assembly [one of the two techno albums Theatre of Tragedy did], it so sexy! Paradise Lost went downhill imo. But Anathema is still really good band imo.

And about Sludge... That has to do a lot with the fact that the genre itself has a lot to do with Hardcore. But is still an awesome genre. If you don't know them already, cheack out EYEHATEGOD and Acid Bath . Both amazing bands and some kind of pioneers of the genre.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 11:34 by Mr. Doctor »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #139 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:38 »

I think it might be accurate to say that if a band started in the 80's and is still around today they are likely to be quite good, as they'll have had to have been at least somewhat competent to keep getting record deals (this condition may be waived in the case of black metal, where some labels will release 666 vinyl copies of fucking anything as long as it's got at least two K's and a V in the name and no ones ever heard of it). Bands that are derivative or don't have much creative potential rarely last beyond two or three albums, though that said, there have been some awesome flash in the pan metal bands that only put out one or two releases and then faded away or split up for whatever reason. Acid Bath, Sabbat and Waylander are three examples that instantly spring to mind, all dissapearing for different reasons (tragic ones in the case of Acid Bath, stupid ones in the case of Sabbat). Apparently Waylander still play live quite a bit in Ireland, but the second album was lackluster compared to the first. However, I just checked Waylanders wikipedia page to see when The Light, The Dark and the Endless Not was released and lo and behold they put out a new album last year without me realising. To the torrents!

Yeah, I'm a big Acid Bath fan, and listen to Eyehategod now and again. Two of my favourite sludge bands are old local Isle of Wight acts Syrafex and Overlord. Both are now pretty much defunct unfortunately, but I went to their shows literally every week for a while when they were most active, and I was pretty good friends with most of them (they shared a lot of members). Syrafex's website is still up but the download link appears to be broken unfortunately. You may still be able to buy their stuff or get it off the compilations they were on, dunno if any of it would be up on torrent. I'd whack it on mediafire if I was at my main computer. Overlords second EP is worth tracking down anyway for the last track 'Super Rocking Secret Song', which is a hilarious sludge cover of Girls Aloud's 'Sound of the Underground'.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #140 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:43 »

Yeah, I'm a big Acid Bath fan, and listen to Eyehategod now and again. Two of my favourite sludge bands are old local Isle of Wight acts Syrafex and Overlord. Both are now pretty much defunct unfortunately, but I went to their shows literally every week for a while when they were most active, and I was pretty good friends with most of them (they shared a lot of members). Syrafex's website is still up but the download link appears to be broken unfortunately. You may still be able to buy their stuff or get it off the compilations they were on, dunno if any of it would be up on torrent. I'd whack it on mediaf!re if I was at my main computer. Overlords second EP is worth tracking down anyway for the last track 'Super Rocking Secret Song', which is a hilarious sludge cover of Girls Aloud's 'Sound of the Underground'.

Je great that you like Acid Bath. I think they are among those bands who are criminaly underrated, I mean... For those who know their metal they are great... But the average metalhead don't know them and I think they deserved more attention. It's very sad that everything ended so fast. But they did a hell of two albums. The debut is still one of the best things I've ever bought. Eyehategod are a little more difficult to digest for some people. Since they are waaaaaaay sicker ajjajaja. But I preffer Acid Bath's fucked-upness AND melody ove rjust  Eyehategod's fucked-upness. Although when you are in the mood. Albums like "Take as needed for pain" are a hell of abrassive.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #141 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:50 »

Just a FYI, it's considered poor form to quote a post directly above yours, unless maybe you are highlighting one specific sentence.

The real tragedy of Acid Bath is the general poor quality of everything Dax Riggs has done since. It proves the importance of a good songwriting team. It also possibly proves that, in the long term, drinking cocktails of peyote and moonshine given to you by tramps is maybe not the best source of musical inspiration.

I've never been able to decide which Acid Bath album I preferred, actually. The first album has better individual songs, but the second one holds together a lot more. It would have been interesting to see where they went, though I think Acid Bath could all too easily have been sucked into the disgusting maelstrom of grunge and nu metal had they stayed around long enough.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 11:53 by KharBevNor »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #142 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:54 »

He needs something to get mad at...
Although I really dig Agents of Oblivion. It's like an entire cd of songs in the vein of Acid Bath's ballads unfortunately not as good. But still is a nice work.

Hey... Guess what: No quotes.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #143 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:56 »

I do have to clarify and say that I don't hate technical stuff in music. Somebody wants to throw in some really difficult stuff ... be my guest.

My ideas of 'wank' mostly consist of bands dumping every fucking idea they have in a song thereby not writing a song but .. I don't know ... blogging. I therefore consider Opeth and Dream theatre a bit wanky. Just too stuffy without becoming songs.

So, you know ... it's not for me.

But I'm cool with technical stuff. On that note: Incureable Tragedy by Into Eternity is one of my favourite metal albums of 2009. Agree/Disagree?
My Art.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #144 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:11 »

I checked their myspace and was a nice listen, thanks for that info!

Mmm 2009... I haven't seen many "OMAGA" albums when it comes to metal. 2008 was an awesome year if you ask me.
Right now the best thing I've heard from 2009 is Pensées Nocturnes, a really good Black Metal act from France [lately all good Black comes from that place tbh] the "band" is just one dude and that really impress me since the guy is very talented diong everything. There's a lot of Piano a la Chopin and a lot of classic music going on And that's a truly awesome touch but don't think it sound like your average symphonic metal.. it's not like it.
His voice is so... surreal like he's been skined alive.

This is some beautiful Black Metal
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 12:13 by Mr. Doctor »

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
« Reply #145 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:15 »

Yeah, I'll agree with that.  I actually find my tastes tending one more iteration away from truly metal-styled doom, in that I prefer more psych-oriented bands like Sons of Otis and UfoMammut to sludgy filthmongers like Weedeater and Bongzilla.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #146 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:20 »

Do you know Esoteric?
Because if you like the psychodelic feel you must know/check them. It's insane Funeral Doom with like I said before, a really big psychodelic feel on it.

And with a hell of a solo around 3:00
That was imo the highlight of the entire 2008 and probably the funeral Doom scene.

Can't go wrong with an album that looks like this:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9016/16643155.jpg
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 12:23 by Mr. Doctor »

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
« Reply #147 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:39 »

Honestly I'm getting turned off by the vocals, I don't know if I could do a whole album of this.  The instrumentals are pretty awesome, though.

This is more my speed.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #148 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:53 »

Aw, that's a shame. Imo is the vocalist from Esoteric is easily one of the best growlers around. From low as hell to really freaky high-pitched screams that add a lot for the crazy feeling.
But If you liked the music I still recommend them since the guy don't open the mouth that often, it's a matter of training I guess. Doom isn't really the stuff you just get into in just a listen.

Sons of Otis was a nice listen. But I felt like it didn't change that much during those 7 and a half minutes. It's not like I want a lot of different riffs and stuff because I enjoy some really minimalsitic Drone Doom. But this time it wasn't that time [that sounded weird]

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
« Reply #149 on: 14 Jul 2009, 13:03 »

Try some Acid King!  The female vocalist adds an interesting touch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up