THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for new Metal Music  (Read 75890 times)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
Re: Looking for new Metal Music
« Reply #150 on: 14 Jul 2009, 13:27 »

Now THAT'S the stuff I'm talking about. I heard of that name a lot of times but was way to lazy to check them out. Thanks man this is a good add.
Yeah, I dig this... It's a keeper  :mrgreen:

When you said about the female vocalist One name went through my mind: Reino Ermitaño [Spanish for: "Hermit Kingdom"]
That's a Stoner Doom band from Peru I discovered for some years ago. A sad fact is that I can't find anything that I can buy. But they are good.
I can't find any youtube video that gives them justice but Here's the Myspace and I hope you like them... They wrote in among other  influences Acid King And Electric Wizard so I think you can like this :)

I'm gona use the first post of this thread to continue with the recommendations I was writing in page 2 for the ones that want to get a little bigger collection. Hope you guys check something:

- Bloodbath Did you think that Mikael from Opeth was just way to proggy or nice? Think again buddy! Because he and other big names like Anders  Nyström & Jonas Renkse  [Katatonia], Peter Tägtgren [Hipocrisy] and even Dan Swanö have done some stuff with this project. The main thing? Death Metal a la old school baby! Just check this song... Groove as hell and with that horror movie atmosphere that only old death metal bands like old Entombed and Hipocrisy had. This is a tribute from fans to the fans.
- Brujeria Ok.. First of all, you do NOT take this band seriously. It's just some slow paced Death metal from Mexico [jajaja yeah I kinda like slow and groove death metal]
- Brutal Truth Here's some old and classic band from the Grindcore scene. That song is amazing. they used a Didgerido for christ's sake!!! Recommended for those who enjoy Pig Destroyer, Napalm Death and such
- Burzum Classic song from a classic band. Some minimalistic black metal that was unique back in the middle  90's when the second wave of black metal arrived with this band along with Darkthrone, Mayhem and the likes. This band is problably the main reason to why some black metal bands try the depressive feeling more than the original satan stuff etc etc... Here's another song less minimalistic althought the vocals are not for everyone
- Coroner Now HERE'S a criminaly overlooked thrash metal band from the good old middle 80's and never got the attention they truly deserved because no one played Technical thrash metal like they did at that time!. If you concider yourself a Thrash fan they please search for all their albums because otherwise you will miss something nice.And of course I gonna put more songs from this band!
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 14:17 by Mr. Doctor »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #151 on: 14 Jul 2009, 18:59 »

If we're talking female fronted doom then surely Thorr's Hammer deserve a nod. Runhild Gammelsæter's vocals on Dommedagsnatt are superb, particularly considering she was something daft like 19 at the time of recording.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #152 on: 15 Jul 2009, 04:19 »

Hell yeah, she did an amazing job. I was gonna talk about them but hey, I'm not in T right now jajajaj.
Her vocals are impressive, not for everyone of course but she kick the shit out of the girl from Arch Enemy every day of the week.

Fopr the ones who like her, check out the drone metal band she is in called Khlyst

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #153 on: 15 Jul 2009, 05:03 »

Never mind the girl from Arch Enemy, I think her vocals are the best I've ever heard in a slow band (with the exception of Peet from Red Right Hand).

I had no idea Khlyst existed; they're really good! I was a little dubious at first since the only thing I know Plotkin from is Khanate who bore me to tears, but I've grabbed Chaos Is My Name and it's thoroughly impressing so far. Really wish I could see Thorr's Hammer at Supersonic next weekend (not to mention Corrupted, ridiculously good sludge from Japan) but alas, it is not to be.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #154 on: 15 Jul 2009, 06:18 »

Dude... I do NOT talk to people who don't enjoy the sickness and disgusting music that Khanate creates. I truly enjoy that music... Well it's really hard to call it music but I liked them anyway and the best is when I want to torture friends of mine with that band... They hated it! But it's my house and my rules MUAJAJAJAJAJA.
The screams are sick... "OUTSIDE! UGLY! THIIIIIINGS VIIIIIIIRAL!!!!" From Too Close Enough To Touch

BUT! You mentioned Corrupted AND liked Khlyst so I'm gonna forgive you this time, glad you liked it.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2009, 06:27 by Mr. Doctor »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #155 on: 15 Jul 2009, 08:16 »

See, I know so many people that love that band I thought they'd be pretty great. But then I saw them live and they were really disappointing so I got bored and wandered off to the bar while I waited for Melt-Banana to come on and dominate. I thought it might have been an off night but all the Khanate heads were gushing about how crushing it all was and how one guy passed out due to the intensity. They kicked out a lot of noise, sure, but they didn't seem to do anything interesting with it (rather like Sunn).

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #156 on: 15 Jul 2009, 08:51 »

I actually like Sunn O))) but I think that if you compare it with other drone acts it's not THAT impressive. Sure it's good but I still fail to see the fuzz about them. Although Black One was pretty nice.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #157 on: 16 Jul 2009, 00:49 »

I still fail to see the point about them.

Well, that's not entirely true. Two forumites were able to explain that it's not so much the music but rather the experience of the sounds as a ... feeling in your body and as a 'meditative' thing is actually totally worth it.

Good for them. I still think they're utter shyte.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #158 on: 16 Jul 2009, 09:28 »

Better hated than ignored as some wice man said.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #159 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:52 »

Well ... I can do both in equal measure.
My Art.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #160 on: 16 Jul 2009, 12:58 »

Well.. ignored isn't really the word I wanted to write. It's better to hate something than don't know of it's existense.

Are you always kinda smartass everytime someone talks about a band you don't like?   :-D
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2009, 13:00 by Mr. Doctor »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #161 on: 16 Jul 2009, 14:31 »

Around here? That would be a fucking day job.
My Art.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #162 on: 16 Jul 2009, 14:43 »

O well... There has to be someone doing that job anyway. I know someone just like you [although older] from a metal forum so I also wanted someone to criticize just for the sake of doing it. It gives the forum that spice.

And because we have to stay on topic... Metal kick ass.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #163 on: 16 Jul 2009, 15:17 »

- Coroner Now HERE'S a criminaly overlooked thrash metal band from the good old middle 80's and never got the attention they truly deserved because no one played Technical thrash metal like they did at that time!. If you concider yourself a Thrash fan they please search for all their albums because otherwise you will miss something nice.And of course I gonna put more songs from this band!

They sound similar to later Overkill.

(That's the exact opposite of badass)

:evil:

Want some overlooked thrash?

SADUS! \m/

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #164 on: 16 Jul 2009, 15:36 »

They sound similar to later Overkill.

(That's the exact opposite of badass)

:evil:

Want some overlooked thrash?

SADUS! \m/
Overkill? WTF?.... Yeah, right. Meh.. I stick with Coroner,never got the attention they deserved. It actually surprise me that you don't like them, msot of the people I know who are into thrash and also the elitists I use to hate, love the band. Few bands were technical at the middle 80's. Then again, thrash is one of the genres I'm not so into... And I dislike most of the bands.

Be My Head

« Reply #165 on: 16 Jul 2009, 16:22 »

Sorry, they're too slow for me. I like my thrash with a really high tempo. It just doesn't give me any energy like other faster, heavier thrash metal bands.

diablo_man

• Obscure cultural reference
metal list
« Reply #166 on: 16 Jul 2009, 16:35 »

my list from last year.

Amon Amarth- melodic death metal, bout vikings. fully awesome
Annihilator- old school thrash
Anthrax- happy sounding thrash
Arch Enemy- gothenburg styl melodic DM. not as heavy as amon amarth. girl singer/growler
Between the Buried and Me- proggy metalcore (Colours)
Black Label Society- heavy metal band, Zakk Wylde from Ozzy on guitar and vocals. pretty good
Black Sabbath- c'mon, you know these guys. heavy old school metal
Candlemass a seriously good traditional Doom metal band. very heavy guitar and rhythm, typically slower tempos, though a lot of mid tempo stuff, good soloing and a talented operatic style singer, he is a bit of a love/hate thing. check out their last three albums. newest one is sick!
Children Of Bodom good melodic death type stuff, great guitar.
Dark Tranquility gothenburg melodeath. easy to get into i think.
Death probably my favourite band here. this band started the death metal genre although has very little to do with the cannibal corpse type stuff. very heavy and technical, great rhythm and good solos. lots of complicated timing and exotic sounding licks. sorta growling singer, decent lyrics, more political in later albums, horror movieish in the first few. band broke up in 2001, when the original founder, guitarist vocalist and songwriter died of brain tumour and surgery complications.if you like metal i endorse these guys entirley
Dethklok- fictional DM band from the show metalocalypse. good music, funny lyrics
Devin Townsend- awesome metal drummer from various bands solo album. he has a band with him obviously. funny songwriting, brutally awesome drumming.
Dio- classic heavy metal stuff. like a mix between black sabbath and ozzy.
Dokken - hair metal, good guitar
Dream Theater- very talented progressive metal band. great stuff
Electric Wizard- the heaviest, trippiest, sweetest stoner metal band
Ensiferum- great folk metal. very awesome. guitarist left to form Wintersun
InFlames- good(well, used to) melodeath band. new stuff isnt bad, just not the same.
Iron Maiden you should know. good stuff
John 5 formerly of marylin manson, is actually good without manson bitching at him. good instrumental stuff, serial murder themed country elements(
Judas Priest- again a classic NWOBHM band.
Kreator- great german thrash band. its like slayer, but with talented guitarists, actual guitar solos and a less annoying singer. thumbs up!
Machine Head -great heavy thrash/groove metal. their new CD was thought to be the best release of the year
Mastodon- chances are youve heard of these guys. check the mastodon thread. awesome
Megadeth- good thrash band, metalica's contempories. exect they are still good.
Meshuggah -crazy band. super heavy, play 8 string guitars, immensly ridiculous timing and rhythm. kickass stuff, if you are into that sort of thing
Metallica -duh
Municipal Waste- very tight thrash band, punky lyrics, funny stuff too.
Opeth- other favourite band here. massive thread on them in the music section. melodic, heavy, growled clean, good atmosphere, highly recommended
Ozzy osbourne- good early metal/rock stuff. always has an amazing guitarist.
Pantera- good grooving thrash
Racer x -paul gilberts band. incredible instrumentation, rocking riffs and solos

Scorpions great hairmetal, rock stuff.
Slayer good riffing, terrible solos, thrash mostly anti christian lyrics
Solitude Aeturnus amazingly good doom metal band, same sort of thing as candlemass, more accsessible singer. i like them a lot
Testament- very metallica like [ride the lightning, fade to black ish stuff] better lead guitar. i prefer the singer here. more interesting riff work and songwriting imo. great band
Trouble- another great doom/stoner metal band. weird singer, aquired taste. i love the guitar and song feel. early albums are more doom, later are more rockish
Wintersun -first album, folky style stuff. melodic tight rhythm. very highly thought of

and more randoms since then

Alestorm - sick pirate metal, seriously check em out.
Amorphis- good melodic stuff
Anata - highly technical but very melodic(if weirdly so) heavy and tight. lots of counterpoint melody
Anterior - good metal core ish stuff. all growling, no blink 182 style singing like with metal core normally
Anubis Gate - Progressive metal. very cool stuff, neat interesting melodies, complicated songwriting
Arsis - fast technical death metal. some more rockish elements in comparison with other tech death stuff. a whole hell of a lot going on at once, but awesome riffs and songs
Artillery - great thrash band. only done two good albums apparently. one of them is their newest one(when death comes)
Athiest - jazzy tech death. have a few songs in fullfledged jazz mode, incredible musicians
Bathory - oldschool black metal. very very varied styles in different albums
Behemoth- blackened death metal. kinda exotic at times, decent guitar work, nice atmoshpere
Belphegor - blackened death. great great band, saw them live.
Bloodbath - old school death metal's "supergroup" with members from opeth, katatonia and hypocrisy.  one of my favourtie straight up death metal bands
Cannibal Corpse - crazy stuff, check out their stuff with George Fisher(recent) for better production, singing, guitar, and tone. and less fucked lyrics
Carcass - guitarist michael ammot from arch enemy. old school DM, started melodeath
Cynic - more guitar and instruments based than metal. cool jazz fusion stuff with metal influences. or the other way around, who knows.
Darkest Hour - great band, melodic death metal. check out the song "the Tides" for some good riffs and one of my favourite guitar solos, ever. EVER.
Despised Icon - an ok deathcore band. good riffs, not a fan of singing style.
Destroyer 666 - kickass aussie black metal band. check it oot!
Disturbed - good standard metal band. you could probably put them on at a party and have people like it. but good riffs and choruses. intro to real metal.
Dying Fetus - bit like cannibal corpse, more technical. better and heavier riffs if you check out their newer albums, like "war of Attrition"
Enslaved - interesting black metal progressive band. nice production
Enthroned - black metal
Entombed-  oldschool death metal/ rock
Exivious - great jazzy  tech death metal instrumental band. members from Cynic and Textures
Gnostic - killer tech death band. drummer from athiest. tight heavy sound, really sweet bass lines and fills.
Goatsnake - stoner doom rock. like this one.
Goatwhore - blackened death metal with good riffs
Gojira - sludgy and loose sounding, but also very solid and tight. heavy as a 1000 shit-tons.
Gorgoroth - classic Black metal.
Gorguts - very very dark and confusing sound. tech death i suppose, but slower and more chaotic. if im in the mood these guys are great. talented as fuck.
Hacride - melodic tech death. ear pummelingly tight and heavy. new album Lazarus is a fave.
Himsa - epic melodic death metal. epic as in they sound killer. not like stratovarius.
Hypocrisy - institution of heavy extreme metal.
Immortal - favourite black metal band. crisp and cold sounding.
Insomnium - gothenburg style melodeath. new album is rad.
Impending Doom - heavy heavy mid tempo death metal. possibly christian. still good!
Kalmah - Folky melodeath of an awesome variety.
Karl Sanders - frontman and creator of Nile, doing exotic mostly acoustic melody based instrumentals. trancy, with ridiculous instrumentation. very favourite band that doesnt play with distortion. check out both albums.
Krallice - long meandering repetative hipster style black metal. i enjoy their stuff sometimes.
KREATOR - saw them live, nearly shat myself. it was that good thrash. :P
Metal church - surprisingly good band. not sure of genre. thrash i would guess.
Mithras - good obscure band. heavy, downtuned but quick and hardhitting deathmetal with oddly major sounding melodies.
Moonspell - another good melodeathish band.
Morbid Angel - dark sounding, heavy old school DM
Mustache - stoner classic heavy metal. some arena rock style choruses
My Dying bride - doomish metal. very sad sound. large discography. using violin a lot for great effect.
NECROPHAGIST - crazy tech death stuff. singer/lead/rythm guitarist is one talented mofo.
NILE - probably my all time favourite extreme metal band. egyptian death metal. very heavy fast, varied, complicated, with slow crushing sections and acoustic segments like in Karl Sander's solo stuff. damn.
Obituary - sludgy heavy oldschool DM
Obscura - already been mentioned. but worthy!
Obsidian - only have for their one cool song "fuck it up" extreme agression lol heavy thrash.
Origin - literally the heaviest fastest most technical band i have. maybe too much. still have their moments when the wankery is brilliant.
Overkill - underrated thrash band from the old days and until recently.
Primal Fear - Powermetal. great songwriting, very pump up ish.
PSYCROPTIC - next favourite extreme metal act. tech death from Australia. completely unique riffs and sound. very very cool once you can pick out all the stuff they throw at you.
QUO VADIS- probably the best melodic death/technical stuff. Day into Night is an album that just doesnt quit.
RoadRunner United - more supergroup style  metal from the Roadrunner labels best bands.
Rwake - found them here on QC.  black and death metal influenced doom metal.surprisingly talented lead guitar. lots of samples from strange movies.
Satyricon - black/death metal. lot like behemoth to me.
Savatage - members later formed the Trans Siberian Orchestra.
Sentenced - good band, great songs. kinda melodeath/classic/powermetal
Sirenia - standard gothenburg melodeth with femal and male vocalists, violin melody.
Sodom - early german thrash band, went more into blackened thrash.
Sonic Syndicate - metalcore.
Sons Of Otis - if electric wizard is too dark for your mushroom trips check these guys out.
Spawn of Possession - tech death. very difficult to follow unless you are really into the genre. still they have grown on me.
Stratovarius - power metal. fast guitar and keyboards, uplifting melodies and clean singing. like if dragonforce was simpler, actually had good riffs and werent douchebags.
Sylosis - metalcore/melodeath. terrific album. some solos sound very steve vai influenced
Symphony X - progressive power metal. like dream theater, more guitar oriented.
Textures - heavy tech death. varied styles.
Therion -  great band. went from loose classic death metal to more progressive death to an interesting but ultimately not as cool incarnation as symphonic metal. going from growling in earlier albums to dual operatic, guy and girl.
Tyr - folk metal. 7 string heavy guitar parts/
Vader - terrific death metal band. unique growling voice, they do lots of slayer covers and write stuff heavier than antimatter.
Warbringer -saw live, cool talented but slightly generic modern thrash
Woe Of Tyrants - one of my favourite albums this year. heavy death metal.

this list took FOREVER. holy... you guys better check some of these out.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2009, 16:47 by diablo_man »

Be My Head

« Reply #167 on: 16 Jul 2009, 16:40 »

I've heard of most of them and heard a fair few. I really can't go through and give my opinion on every one I've heard though (Lazy!).

My favourite out of your list is Kreator. So sad I missed them last spring.

I did see Enslaved open up for Opeth. Both bands were great. I wish Enslaved had played some older material though, like Opeth did.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009, 10:37 by Be My Head »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
Re: metal list
« Reply #168 on: 16 Jul 2009, 21:49 »

my list from last year.

[...]

this list took FOREVER. holy... you guys better check some of these out.

Dude ... did your CD case just fall over?
My Art.

diablo_man

« Reply #169 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:13 »

heheh, most of it. lot i left out cause i hadnt listened to it much, didnt know anything about it or didnt much like them.
other than that i like all those, so i recommend them all!
i already had the first half of the list written from when i posted a list of what i had available for the mediaf!re thread.

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
Re: metal list
« Reply #170 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:58 »

Devin Townsend- awesome metal drummer from various bands solo album. he has a band with him obviously. funny songwriting, brutally awesome drumming.

WHAAAAT?!  while i wholly endorse anything townsend-related, especially strapping young lad, he's a guitarist/vocalist, isn't and never has been a drummer!  (although everyone who's drummed for him has been reet awesome).

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #171 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:02 »

Nice list! But I found two things that maked me cry.

Alestorm... Dude, are you serious?! That's the most cheese band I've ever heard, not even Manowar is that cheese and that says a lot!
Sonic Syndicate... No coments.

Rest of the list was good though!

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #172 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:04 »

Alestorm... Dude, are you serious?! That's the most cheese band I've ever heard, not even Manowar is that cheese and that says a lot!

I fail to see the problem.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #173 on: 17 Jul 2009, 05:19 »

I can't stand flower metal bands. They are too ridiculous... And I fail to see the "fun" of the band. They tried too much with being all funny with the lyrics and imagery that it turned out to be boring as hell and so is the music. I like joke bands though! the problem is when the joke is not funny

And imo the tag Pirate Metal is weirdest tag ever along with vampire metal [wat?]. As if people have any idea what sort of music pirates made. It is just pirate themed folk power metal that's it and substandard at best imo.

The music is interesting... But for me it's like cotton candy, you know its a waste of money, and you know after eating it you'll feel sick, yet you can't help but eating more just because its so sugary.....

And there is another "Pirate" Metal band... Running Wild from the middle 70's
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2009, 05:21 by Mr. Doctor »

diablo_man

« Reply #174 on: 17 Jul 2009, 10:26 »

i didnt say devin townsend did the drumming, just that the drumming itself was awesome.
yeah sonic syndicate isnt as good as i once thought, i just played it for a bit while i was writing the list, one of the few bands i listed that i hadnt listneed to much. not so good. but still some people are into that so i put it up.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #175 on: 17 Jul 2009, 11:37 »

but still some people are into that

That's true... I'm into their bassist if you know what I mean   :-D

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #176 on: 18 Jul 2009, 07:20 »

Anti pirate metal guy, Fuck youuuuuu
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Kermit_1918

« Reply #177 on: 18 Jul 2009, 08:07 »

I've been in desperate need for some new Metal music. I like deathmetal, but i also like instrumental and melodic metal.

Recently I've been listing too:
  • Children of Bodom
  • The Acacia Strain
  • I Killed the Prom Queen
  • Lacuna Coil
  • Misery Signals
Only one of those bands is metal and it's false metal at that. Since I'm sure you have NO idea which one it is, I shall tell you: Children of Bodom.
this is just off the top of my head, i don't listen to much metal these days.
Clearly you don't since they're all about as metal as Abba.
Mastadon,Kyuss,Agalloch, Boris, Sunn O)))
Doesn't get much more hipster than that bunch. If you throw on Mastodon, you might as well give Meshuggah a try- why overlook one nu metal band for another? Sunn O))) is about as heavy as those thunderstorm relaxation/meditation discs you can buy at Target.
some metal albums released this year that I have been enjoying immensely, in alphabetical order:

Amesoeurs - s/t: think spacey post-rock infused black metal. if you like Agaloch you'll like these guys
Animals as Leaders - s/t: hands down one of my favorite metal albums this year. The guitarist is way too talented. I also upped this album in the mf!re thread a little while back...
Architects - Hollow Crown: pretty technical metalcore. You'll like LOVE these guys if you like IKAPQ/Acacia/MisSigs
Darkest Hour - The Eternal Return: American-style Swedish melodic death. After a couple listens, this is definitely their best since Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation (which I would probably check out first - that album is amazing)
Goatwhore - Carving Out the Eyes of God: blackened death metal with catchy riffs that are sludgy as fcuk and heavier than a hundred walruses.
Gorod - Process of a New Decline: I'm still not sure how these guys can be as technical as they can and still maintain an amazing level of melody and coherence. Crazy talented, these guys are.
Hacricide - Lazarus: Another one of my favorite albums so far this year. Heavy, techincal, amazing songwriting and dynamism. Some of the softer parts reminded me of NIN, mixed with heavier Meshuggah/Gojira like riffing. A Definite must listen.
Kreator - Hordes of Chaos: THRASH/CIRCLEPIT/THRASH
Nightrage - Wearing a Martyr's Crown: Top-notch melodic death metal. Catchy riffs + solos with outrageous vibrato and scale runs = really fun listen
Obscura - Cosmogenesis : Techinical death metal with sexy fretless bass, razar-sharp riffs, ridicilous solos. Seriously, that bass,
Goatwhore blows, metalcore isn't metal, Gorod is fucking shit tech death (tech death itself is a horrific genre that is full of lame vapid music), Obscura is another one of those shitty bands. I have NO idea how you got into Kreator though, funny enough they're the only good band mentioned so far...
In terms of doom metal good starting points would be Candlemass (King of the Grey Islands probably isn't their best but it's my favourite) and maybe My Dying Bride's Turn Loose the Swans. I guess some Sabbath would also be good- get Paranoid, Master of Reality and/or Heaven and Hell. For weirder slow albums I'd recommend Thergothon's Stream from the Heavens, Disembowelment's Transcendence into the Peripheral, and Nadja's Touched. These three albums are pretty inaccessible, though.
Nadja isn't metal (nevermind doom), diSEMBOWELMENT is a combination of death metal grind and doom and thus isn't doom per se, why the christ would you ever recommend Heaven and Hell, Paranoid should not be said in the same sentence as doom unless you're speaking of "Hand of Doom". MDB and Candlemass are horrible.
I'll cover the stuff that I don't really hear anyone mentioning around here. Try Corrosion of Conformity (from Blind onward, at least. Haven't heard their earlier stuff, it is impossible to find), Crowbar (try Lifesblood for the Downtrodden, that one is more accessible than their early stuff), and Down. Also, Alabama Thunderpussy, and Black Label Society, to round out the southern metal / sludge metal while not getting into anything too off-putting. I know someone is going to come in here suggesting Eyehategod, but I don't really find them a good example of how to get to like the genre.
CoC, Down, and the rest of those SHIT bands aren't sludge. Most are just southern metal, with exception being Crowbar (which is just slowed down hardcore-ie NOT sludge). Eyehategod is the pinnacle of all sludge, but you wouldn't know that since you're too busy listening to Isis.
Baroness - I just found this fanmade video, it's pretty sweet.
Cynic - fuck all the haters.  Not that there are any on this board.  Proto-tech-death-jazz-fusion. 
Dethklok - needs no explanation
In Flames - any of their albums up to Whoracle, really driving melodeath/viking type stuff.  After that they kind of stopped being good.  The Jester Race/Black Ash Inheritance still hasn't gotten old.
Kronos - see Colossal Titan Strife.  Probably the most deathy band I'm recommending.
Lykathea Aflame - the second most deathy.  We will probably never hear music like theirs again.
Mastodon - this board is kind of love/hate about them.  I like them.  Whatever.
Baroness isn't even metal (seems you guys have zero concept of actual metal). Dethklok is a fucking disgrace to all metal and its creator is NOT a metalhead or funny-just another dumb wanker. *N Flamez says it all.

Kermit_1918

« Reply #178 on: 18 Jul 2009, 08:14 »

Meshuggah is some sweet mathy metal, you should try obZen by them. Also I'd like to 2nd Between the Buried and Me, Alaska and Colors are GREAT albums. Anything ISIS has touched is gold, as well as Pelican and Russian Circles if you like the whole post-metal thing. Mastodon is sweet stoner/prog too... I'm just gonna list some more of these:

Baroness - amazing southern prog metal
BORIS - REALLY heavy Japanese stoner/doom metal
Cult of Luna - Swedish post-metal band, somewhat similar to ISIS, perhaps a bit darker
The Dillinger Escape Plan - thrashy, mathy experimental metal, perhaps a bit hardcore in it as well
Gojira - awesome Prog. Death metal, if you like BTBAM you will likely like this, and perhaps even if you don't
High on Fire - fantastic thrashy stoner/doom metal
Kylesa - again with the southern metal, somewhat crust-punk/psychedelic tinged
Neurosis - the original "post-metal" band, slow and atmospheric, crushingly heavy
OM - drone/stoner metal with an Eastern European tinge. Somewhat spiritual in nature, think of chanting.
Jesu - drone metal, but generally major key and more upbeat. I call it power drone.
Opeth - classic progressive death metal band, nobody really does it better than these guys.
Rosetta - another post-metal band, their self description of "Neurosis covering Stars of the Lid" says it best.
Sleep - Stoner/doom metal, original members went on to form High on Fire and OM, respectively. Sleep's Holy Mountain and Dopesmoker are amazing.
Sunn O))) - Drone doom metal, perhaps the best (or most well-known). Sounds dark, IMPOSSIBLY heavy, and equally slow.
Tombs - An interesting mix of atmospheric black metal and thrash, Winter Hours is a great album.
Torche - another very thick, heavy southern metal band, with pop influences of all things. Pop doom? I guess it's possible.
Wolves in the Throne Room - amazing atmospheric black metal/ambient music.

Probably the worst, most misguided post so far. Hell, I'm going to dissect this one and prove why each one is wrong. Baroness aren't metal, as already established. Cult of Luna are a post rock band. Boris is not doom metal at all, nor are they heavy. The Dillinger Escape Plan is in NO fathomable way metal-they're just shitty mathcore. Gojira is about as interesting as Opeth... High on Fire is WHOLYY inferior to Matt Pike's earlier band. Kylesa is fucking crusty sludge, you moron. Neurosis is the epitome of artsy faggy pseudo metal. Opeth is for the mentally challenged who like to seem unique by listening to metal. Rosetta follows suit of Neurosis. Sleep is simply stoner metal and probably the best band in the genre. Sunn O))) isn't a metal band-they're just drone. Tombs sucks. Torche isn't a fucking southern metal band, they're a pop rock band that downtunes. It's a pretty simplistic concept. WitTR wish they could suck Varg Vikerne's cock, but settled for Malefic's. MESHUGGAH IS NOT METAL and holy fuck neither is Pelican. If a metal riff is not present, then the band isn't a metal band. Simple concept that has eluded almost all of you.

I wouldn't say I'm a troll, but I'd be lying. That said, my posts aren't troll posts, but rather informative guides. I simply wanted to correct a few misconceptions that I saw when Caspian linked me to this thread.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009, 08:18 by Kermit_1918 »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #179 on: 18 Jul 2009, 08:15 »

Oh, hey Ultraboris. Didn't know you read QC.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #180 on: 18 Jul 2009, 08:33 »

I've tried to have this dialogue before, particularly about fucking Mastodon, but apparently what is and is not metal is 'just my opinion'.

Could have tried drawing a little more distinction between bands you don't like and bands you are (as far as I can see absolutely correctly) asserting are not metal. The first actually is a matter of your personal opinion, and the other ain't. No wonder people can get so confused about metal if people go around apparently claiming that Children of Bodom are not a metal band. No matter how shit you think they are there is no way of getting round the fact.

Kermit_1918

« Reply #181 on: 18 Jul 2009, 08:40 »

I said that CoB is a false metal band.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #182 on: 18 Jul 2009, 08:40 »

How on earth are you saying Boris aren't heavy?

Seriously, dude. Seriously.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #183 on: 18 Jul 2009, 08:42 »

Calling bands true and false should be relegated to the Impaled Northen Moonforest forums, where it belongs.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #184 on: 18 Jul 2009, 09:46 »

Calling bands true and false should be relegated to the Impaled Northen Moonforest forums, where it belongs.

That's the fucking reason... That's why most of the people who are not into metal think that metalheads are idiots. Because there are some that are going around telling what's metal and what's not. Nü Metal is metal.... A very bad subgenre but metal anyway and that's a fact.
__
MESHUGGAH IS NOT METAL
RIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT... And.... who are you again?
why the christ would you ever recommend Heaven and Hell, Paranoid should not be said in the same sentence as doom unless you're speaking of "Hand of Doom".
Emmm... Maybe because Black Sabbath was a huuuuuge influence for the entire doom metal scene? There are a lot fo trademark stuff on Paranoid that sounds like doom metal.
Anti pirate metal guy, Fuck youuuuuu

Hey man.. there is a huge difference between that joke band Alestorm and Running Wild.... The later one is not trying to be a pirate. I'm not against "pirate music" ... I'm just against "stupid pirate music"
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009, 09:49 by Mr. Doctor »

Be My Head

« Reply #185 on: 18 Jul 2009, 10:36 »

-The best pirate metal band is Cauldron Black Ram, the Australian Death Metal band.

-Doom metal Sabbath is on Master of Reality, not Paranoid.

-Anyone who says Candlemass sucks is a fool and doesn't like real doom metal, same goes for Saint Vitus.

-I would rather listen to hispter metal than Metalcore or Nu-Metal any day.

- Meshuggah sucks because of their uncreative songs and shitty vocalist, while they do have something in common with metalcore vocals, they're on Metal Archives and that's good enough for me.

- I haven't seen Kermit_1918 offer any counter recommendations.

That's the fucking reason... That's why most of the people who are not into metal think that metalheads are idiots. Because there are some that are going around telling what's metal and what's not. Nü Metal is metal.... A very bad subgenre but metal anyway and that's a fact.

Why yes, which is why I didn't call anyone out on any of the bands they posted here that I didn't think were metal/don't like. I don't really consider myself a metalhead, even though I listen to tons of metal.

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #186 on: 18 Jul 2009, 11:03 »

Pensées Nocturnes, a really good Black Metal act from France [lately all good Black comes from that place tbh] the "band" is just one dude and that really impress me since the guy is very talented diong everything.

If you like that guy then Mirrorthrone will blow your mind.  Mirrorthrone is also a one-man-superband -  melodic black metal with beautiful classical touches. His last album Gangrene was one of my favorite albums from last year, and one of the best musical discoveries I've made in a long time.

And here are a couple more metal bands that I've been listening to that I think are nothing short of incredible:

Fleshgod Apocalypse: description of their latest album Oracles from their myspace: "Fierce anti-Sophistic sermons, sharp strings laments, unmerciful skins shredding, and refined orchestral interludes, in a unique opera for the celebration of the ratio and the positivist thought, honoring the fathers of the classical spirit."
The solos are almost as beautiful as the seemingly eerie breaks of classical music, which include the sounds of an orchestra warming up, an insane piano intro,  choral religious chants, and a hauntingly beautiful piano outro. If the forefathers of classical music wanted to start a technical death metal supergroup, this is what they would sound like. This is one of my top albums of 2009.

Shining - depressive black metal titans, their two most recent albums could be considered more progressive than black metal. Incredible songwriting, which I am a stickler for. It's also good to know that these guys can appreciate the benefits of super crisp production.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009, 11:10 by Harun »

Nodaisho

« Reply #187 on: 18 Jul 2009, 11:31 »

Maybe, but you have to admit that Electric funeral is pretty damn heavy as well, it is just that Planet caravan undid all of the heavy in Hand of Doom and Electric Funeral.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #188 on: 18 Jul 2009, 12:02 »

Pensées Nocturnes, a really good Black Metal act from France [lately all good Black comes from that place tbh] the "band" is just one dude and that really impress me since the guy is very talented diong everything.

If you like that guy then Mirrorthrone will blow your mind.  Mirrorthrone is also a one-man-superband -  melodic black metal with beautiful classical touches. His last album Gangrene was one of my favorite albums from last year, and one of the best musical discoveries I've made in a long time.

Yeah man, of course I know about them and I have that cd on my computer, great music I must tell ya. I was listening to them while playing some roll game and damn, it was an awesome experience! I must admit that I preffer Pensées Nocturnes, mainly because of the voice that it's so twisted and depressive along with that piano a la Chopin but Mirrorthrone is of course something to check out.
And I LOVE Shining... The vocalist is an arrogant asshole though, but I just care about his music. The best cds imo are IV and V.

-Anyone who says Candlemass sucks is a fool and doesn't like real doom metal, same goes for Saint Vitus.

- Meshuggah sucks because of their uncreative songs and shitty vocalist, while they do have something in common with metalcore vocals, they're on Metal Archives and that's good enough for me.

- I see some clear doom even on Black Sabbath's debut. Not extreme doom of course but it sounds like traditional Doom... It's like a prototype of how the old school doom sounded like.

- I agree, it's ok if you don't like them,.... But you can't just say that the band sucks. They are legends when it comes to traditional doom. It's like... For example: I really don't like Iron Maiden, but I feel like I can't say they suck... Because they don't. It's just music that it's not for me.

- Metal Archives is full of hypocrites if you ask me. They have drone bands like Sunn O))) and Nadja. But they don't have drone bands that sound more metal like the band Angelic Process. And they don't put Nü Metal and Metalcore... Both styles SUCK, I think we can agree on that. But they are a type of metal no matter if we like it or not. I dislike that kind of attitude on MA...
If they have drone... Then I don't really see why they don't put Metalcore and Nü Metal. And no... The bands being shit is not an excuse for not making a place for them.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009, 12:05 by Mr. Doctor »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #189 on: 18 Jul 2009, 16:29 »

Fleshgod Apocalypse: description of their latest album Oracles from their myspace: "Fierce anti-Sophistic sermons, sharp strings laments, unmerciful skins shredding, and refined orchestral interludes, in a unique opera for the celebration of the ratio and the positivist thought, honoring the fathers of the classical spirit."
The solos are almost as beautiful as the seemingly eerie breaks of classical music, which include the sounds of an orchestra warming up, an insane piano intro,  choral religious chants, and a hauntingly beautiful piano outro. If the forefathers of classical music wanted to start a technical death metal supergroup, this is what they would sound like. This is one of my top albums of 2009.

Just bought it. I like it. It's blistering.

Also: it's not easy being green. It makes you agressive.
My Art.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #190 on: 18 Jul 2009, 16:49 »

O shit.... I forgot to check that band out when Harum wrote the post. I'm hearing them right now and woooooooow.
I'm not really into death metal but this kind of bands are just my thing. Thank you for the recommendation, Harum!

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #191 on: 19 Jul 2009, 10:45 »

Wait, if CoB is false metal, then that means... Skwisgaar Skwigelf doesn't exist!

I wonder what would happen if someone told Johan Hegg of Amon Amarth that there are no more Vikings. I'd attempt a mspaint reconstruction, but it'd probably all end up the truest shade of crimson.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #192 on: 19 Jul 2009, 13:36 »

Mastadon,Kyuss,Agalloch, Boris, Sunn O)))
Doesn't get much more hipster than that bunch.

Ahahahahahahaha

Kyuss broke up 10 years before the people you're calling "hipsters" even existed
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

Nodaisho

« Reply #193 on: 19 Jul 2009, 13:41 »

Don't mind him, he is a self-admitted troll, under the twin delusions that he is A) making useful contributions, and B) in any way, shape, or form funny.

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
« Reply #194 on: 19 Jul 2009, 16:17 »

People like Kermit are why people are afraid to post opinions or get into metal music. We get it, you have to be an elitist and shit all over anyone whose taste doesn't coincide with your definition of "true" this or that in order to validate your taste as authentic. Cool story, bro.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #195 on: 19 Jul 2009, 16:19 »

The Dillinger Escape Plan really are not a metal band though.

I gotta stand with him on this point.

Koremora

• Oh, hey.
« Reply #196 on: 19 Jul 2009, 16:22 »

I'm not really disputing any individual selections or things that he didn't think were "metal", more just the general dickhole authoritative tone he took with the whole thing. "Look everyone, I know exactly what metal is and is not, and I am going to go to great lengths to make that fact apparent to all of you. LOOK AT ME!" That kind of posting really doesn't contribute anything helpful to the topic at all and just makes you look like an asshole, really.

To be clear, I just kind of lump the term "metal" with any kind of heavy music that's guitar oriented. That could be just a lack of expertise or something on my part, but I was simply trying to make suggestions of "heavy" music that some people might like. That's no reason to make a giant post taking a massive dump all over everything I said. Whether or not the bands fit your definition of "metal", they might fit for someone else. The way Khar phrased it, more of a general "Hey, DEP aren't really metal", is fine. Kermit's "NONE OF THIS IS METAL YOU ARE A GIANT FUCKING IDIOT FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOU", not so much. 
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2009, 16:26 by Koremora »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #197 on: 19 Jul 2009, 16:25 »

Yeah but, they're not a metal band.

That's not a value judgement. It is kinda like, say, a friend tells you his favourite goth rock band is New Order. It's not even 100% wrong, and it doesn't mean New Order are bad. But they're not a goth rock band.

You see what I mean?

This is also true of a few other bands people have mentioned but I've been leaving off on it.

Koremora

• Oh, hey.
« Reply #198 on: 19 Jul 2009, 16:32 »

They have elements of metal, that's why I included them. I was more taking this thread as a general "heavy music thread" than I was a "metal is a very specific genre and you must post bands only within these set guidelines or else be publicly shamed" thread. Like I said, it's fine for people to not agree with the placement, I'm not defending DEP's status as a metal band. My post was just a list of friendly suggestions that someone might like if they like metal. And my point right now is that Kermit's post was just a giant dick move that is entirely unnecessary and counterproductive to the entire point of the thread, which is to turn people on to new music.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #199 on: 19 Jul 2009, 17:40 »

- Metal Archives is full of hypocrites if you ask me. They have drone bands like Sunn O))) and Nadja. But they don't have drone bands that sound more metal like the band Angelic Process. And they don't put Nü Metal and Metalcore... Both styles SUCK, I think we can agree on that. But they are a type of metal no matter if we like it or not. I dislike that kind of attitude on MA...
If they have drone... Then I don't really see why they don't put Metalcore and Nü Metal. And no... The bands being shit is not an excuse for not making a place for them.

I would say that excluding metalcore is perfectly reasonable since it's a subgenre of punk not metal (hence the 'core suffix). But they fluff that justification massively since they include plenty of punk by listing grindcore bands. It does seem to mostly be about what it's acceptable for a metalhead to like rather than what's technically metal. Which is fine really if that's what they want to do, but I totally agree that Metal Archives doesn't seem to be a very definitive way of determining whether or not a band should be classed as metal or not.
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2009, 01:21 by a pack of wolves »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up