THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 01:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT July 6-July 10 2009  (Read 113760 times)

Zingoleb

Re: WCT July 6-July 10 2009
« Reply #100 on: 07 Jul 2009, 20:02 »

I'm just seriously hoping that Jeph isn't writing Wil out of the comic (remember Natasha? remember...fuck, morgue chick? (can't remember her name [hey, look, I'm using brackets]}) in one or two quick comics.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #101 on: 07 Jul 2009, 20:15 »

Meena.

Wil's connected to Sven, too, though.

Zingoleb

« Reply #102 on: 07 Jul 2009, 20:21 »

I typed out "Amina" first time.

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #103 on: 07 Jul 2009, 20:30 »

Jeph said once that CoD pays enough to live on, but just barely. So there's good support for the idea that Pen-Pen is a careful financial manager.

Another thing that Jeph said is that every time he's written an argument, there's been fault on both sides. Which raises the question of why I and the rest of us are so eager to take sides in an argument that's none of our business between non-existent people. My wife suggests that the butting-in impulse is related to curiosity.

My wife's entry into the list of reasons there is fault on Penny's side is that she considers it a character flaw to fall for guys like Wil in the first place.

Anyone notice that Jeph pulled off a subtlety? I don't think we've seen Pennelope use any language stronger than "jackass" on camera, and as for her off-camera behavior we've heard Faye say "you barely cuss"(#771). So Jeph was telling us something important, very economically, when she called Wil a "total fucking loser".
People have been willing to go to WAR - you know, willing to murder and torture others of their own species - over stuff like religion, or petty crap which generally amounts to, "Your dirt is better than ours. We want it."

We like our fiction. The quality of fictional writing is partially judged by how much it can emotionally or intellectually engage a reader.
Arguing/debating can simply be an outgrowth of this. People form their own ideas about what these fictional people might think or want, and people generally like defending their own ideas, even if those ideas concern a work of fiction - and in some cases, people are even willing to kill for these ideas.

Look how far some go in pursuit of fiction. There are people who spend their lives on just Shakespeare, or other writers of imaginary works. Devoting your life to the study of the writings borne of some dead guy's imagination - and here we are talking about a webcomic on a forum. I'd say that this is a bit less extreme, don't you? :)

So if anything, I'd say, "Debate away." As in any argument though, try to present good ideas. "NO U, DICKFACE!", or similar, is generally not considered a "good idea." ;)

imenonelse

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #104 on: 07 Jul 2009, 20:50 »

The question is, is he "still" living with his parents, or is he living with them "again"? Who knows, maybe he lost his job and didn't have enough savings to last until he got another.

i just hope that will is living with his parents "again" and will get a job soon. i like 'ships....
they need to sort it all out.

but really, penny did jump into it all without getting to know him better... both are at fault..
What she needs is spaghetti and meatballs behind an authentic Italian restaurant.

heh heh.... NOT lady and the tramp..

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #105 on: 07 Jul 2009, 21:45 »

Exactly, it's a fault of her that she needs to overcome, hence me saying she needs to lighten up.
Er... I though being judgemental was a fault? Pot calling the kettle black, I think...  :-D

I remember a Joni Mitchell song (Refuge Of The Roads, from Hejira I think) in which she refers to building up a "thunderhead of judgement". I guess the storm broke on Will's head. Maybe it will clear the air. I love flawed characters.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

innermoppet

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #106 on: 07 Jul 2009, 21:51 »

Sven is definitely no college student, he is Dora's older brother which puts him in his late 20s, plus it was mentioned in several comics that he has been in college.  I daresay Wil is somewhere there too, age-wise. In fact, he looks older than most of the cast, and college students don't just leave for 6 months or so to go traipsing across country.

I work at Michigan State University and we have lots of students who in their late twenties, thirties... even a small percentage in their forties and fifties.  You are making huge assumptions about college students. Not everyone has the time, the money or the wherewithal to go to school full time. Also some people don't go to college right after high school. Then, there are people who don't go full time (like me). I'm almost thirty and I've been taking classes for almost eight years, but taking a class or two at a time means I'm still nowhere near a degree (which is depressing).

And yes, college students can stop taking classes anytime they please and travel. Then they come back and take classes again. Students do it all the time. I have chosen not to take classes for the last year and a half. I'm going back in the spring of next year. College is a something you purchase. You can quit purchasing classes whenever you choose and start purchasing them again when you want.  Universities just want your money. They don't care if you leave and come back.

Anyhow, I'm almost positive the first time we met Wil, he and Sven were eating in a cafeteria. It looked like a college caf to me. Or perhaps a hospital cafeteria. I'm too lazy to look up the comic. Is there anyone out there with the tenacity to look that up?

Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #107 on: 07 Jul 2009, 21:53 »

They're flawed, but they're mostly good people.

You could build a pukka mensch out of Marten's generosity, Faye's loyalty, Raven's joie de vivre, Dora's compassion, Pennelope's responsibility and Hannelore's courage.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #108 on: 07 Jul 2009, 21:56 »

Innermoppet, I think 1128 was Wil's first appearance.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Juniper Jade

• Larger than most fish
  • brb picking up high school boys
    • Myspaces
« Reply #109 on: 07 Jul 2009, 22:07 »

Exactly, it's a fault of her that she needs to overcome, hence me saying she needs to lighten up.
Er... I though being judgemental was a fault? Pot calling the kettle black, I think...  :-D

Me throwing an opinion out to the world about a fictional character doesn't make me judgmental.
"Happiness is the secret to all beauty. There is no beauty that is attractive without happiness." - Christian Dior

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #110 on: 07 Jul 2009, 22:15 »

Actually, I think Pen could just be the 'Swift Kick Up The Jacksee' that Wil needs to get his shit together and get a job.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #111 on: 07 Jul 2009, 22:17 »

I cringe to think what Faye will say. It probably won't be supportive.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Steve the Pocket

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyoro~n is the new desu
« Reply #112 on: 07 Jul 2009, 22:18 »

Kerouac (or at least in character in On the Road) was a writer who didn't have any money and lived with his aunt. Of course, he also tried making money during his journey across the country.
Forty days at sea
Then she turned, and said to me
"If we make it back
I'll renounce Jack Kerouac
And all of that romantic crap
Like 'I'm an artist; don't look back'"

That's from a song that's about refusing to take responsibility for oneself.  I never quite got the significance of the bridge until now.

Zingoleb

« Reply #113 on: 07 Jul 2009, 22:23 »

Is that Baby Seat?

innermoppet

• Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #114 on: 07 Jul 2009, 22:24 »

Innermoppet, I think 1128 was Wil's first appearance.

THANKS SO MUCH!

I stand corrected. They appear to be at a coffee shop. In my head, I saw cafeteria trays. And bears playing the ukulele. But mostly cafeteria trays.

Hmmm. In reviewing those older strips, I did note that Will went to "Williston Academy" in High School. Could he be an over-privileged private school-er?

Addendum: Could this have been an error on Jeph's part? After Wil and Pen-Pen's first date, it appears that she walked him home -to his apartment. He even mentions that Sven told him to take her upstairs to his apartment. Perhaps Jeph changed his mind?

The sited comic: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1257
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2009, 22:37 by innermoppet »
Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #115 on: 07 Jul 2009, 22:46 »

You win the Detail Spotting Award. There are a few possible explanations, but none seem really convincing.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #116 on: 07 Jul 2009, 22:54 »

It is true that Jeph has implied fault with both of them.
For starters, Pen-Pen should not have got so involved with this guy without knowing his situation. I mean, what a person does for a living is usually one of the first things you find out.
As for Wil, seriously, the guy needs to get it together. It is fun to go away for a soul searching journey but there should be some plan for when you come back.

Just wondering, where would Wil have got enough money to go away for such a long time if he had no job? I am in university full time and live with my parents (I am 21 and this is fairly common in Australia) and I am eating away at the savings I managed to accrue during my gap year last year just paying for petrol and food. Sort of implies that Wil might be an ungrateful rich "wild child".

reicreature

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #117 on: 07 Jul 2009, 23:12 »

Eh...I wouldn't write this relatioship off all the way yet.

From personal experience, not every guy like Wil is a total loser. My husband was in the same situation when we got  together and I supported us both for a while until he got a job.
Then he supported me for a long time while I took care of our kid and went back to college. Now we support eachother AND our artistic aspirations.

A guy with a stable job and his own place doesn't equal winner.
It also doesn't equal fufulling relationship.

I made that mistake too...
I'll  take my romantic artist any day.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2009, 23:47 by reicreature »
This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #118 on: 07 Jul 2009, 23:43 »

Jeph said once that CoD pays enough to live on, but just barely.
  :-o QC is the damn second best Webcomic I know off ... one should be able to live from that, should one not ?
Carpe Diem

Shok Xone Studios

• Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #119 on: 07 Jul 2009, 23:49 »

Yeesh, at the rate I've sent out resumes since the last time I was employed, Penny would be stripped down to her skeleton by now.
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

altered_carbon

« Reply #120 on: 08 Jul 2009, 00:02 »

Hurray!! A rational reaction!!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #121 on: 08 Jul 2009, 00:22 »

She got herself under control really fast.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sebastian

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #122 on: 08 Jul 2009, 00:31 »

Now, THAT is an incentive.  :lol: I wonder what she could do to make him send more resumes

"fifth resume is a make-out session but to get some nookie you must send at least ten letters"  :-D

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #123 on: 08 Jul 2009, 01:44 »

Well, at least she knows how to motivate him.

At this rate, he'll wind up a CEO.    :evil:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #124 on: 08 Jul 2009, 02:03 »

I always assumed the place Wil and Sven were eating at in 1128 to be a Panera Bread kind of place where you have to put away your own dishes.

I think Wil looks more distinct with his glasses on.

Jeph said once that CoD pays enough to live on, but just barely.
 :-o QC is the damn second best Webcomic I know off ... one should be able to live from that, should one not ?
The money Jeph earns from Questionable Content has nothing to do with fictional Penelope's fictional money from fictional Coffee of Doom.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2009, 02:06 by Aegir »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #125 on: 08 Jul 2009, 02:49 »

Except that it's also most likely fictional, but meta-economics is a bit of a digression I think.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

BryanP

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #126 on: 08 Jul 2009, 06:01 »

Behold, the power of positive reinforcement.

Hell, I haven't been unemployed since I was 18 and she has me wanting to send out a resume'.

briccone

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #127 on: 08 Jul 2009, 06:28 »

I'm wondering what item of clothing number 4 is, as in the previous comic she wasn't wearing any trousers/pants.

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #128 on: 08 Jul 2009, 07:17 »

I would think someone who has been unemployed for about six years would need to send out a lot more than three or four resumes to get a job  :lol:

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #129 on: 08 Jul 2009, 07:44 »

I'm wondering what item of clothing number 4 is, as in the previous comic she wasn't wearing any trousers/pants.

Glasses - those are expensive enough not to want to damage them.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #130 on: 08 Jul 2009, 07:50 »

Socks?

Anyway, here's a possible fix for the continuity hole. It looks like a house. Maybe he just lied, and said it was his apartment building?

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #131 on: 08 Jul 2009, 08:09 »

Addendum: Could this have been an error on Jeph's part? After Wil and Pen-Pen's first date, it appears that she walked him home -to his apartment. He even mentions that Sven told him to take her upstairs to his apartment. Perhaps Jeph changed his mind?

The sited comic: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1257

Maybe his parents own a building? I knew a girl in high school who's mom owned a two-story and the girl had the apartment up top to herself. Maybe Wil had a similar situation going on. Tell you what, if I had that kind of set-up, I'd be hard pressed to move out too.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

plethora

• Larger than most fish
  • fluff fluff fluff
« Reply #132 on: 08 Jul 2009, 08:56 »

Maybe his parents own a building?
QFT. My auntie and uncle own a block of 4 flats and a semi-detached house (well, was a semi-detached house, they recently knocked a wall out and now it's just a semi-functional house). One of their kids lives in the house, one in one of the flats. At various times my brother, sister, five different cousins and my auntie's best friend have lived in the other flats. One or two of them faced "eviction" due to family fights. Wil could easily have been in the same situation.

Juniper Jade

• Larger than most fish
  • brb picking up high school boys
    • Myspaces
« Reply #133 on: 08 Jul 2009, 09:23 »

Okay, Penny made up for her "total fucking loser" comment by being supportive to Wil, good job Penn-o. Although it was quite a flip but I guess thats us girls for you!
"Happiness is the secret to all beauty. There is no beauty that is attractive without happiness." - Christian Dior

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #134 on: 08 Jul 2009, 09:34 »

We had sort of a similar thing in my family. My grandparents owned a four-story when I was growing up. My mom, my sister and I lived with my grandparents in one apartment and three of my aunts and their families lived in the other three. Everyone payed rent though and everything was always in good repair because my uncles helped my grandfather with the handy work. Every family has squabbles, but my grandparents never tolerated nonsense. You were expected to just suck it up and get along regardless of any issues.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #135 on: 08 Jul 2009, 10:45 »

Yeesh, at the rate I've sent out resumes since the last time I was employed, Penny would be stripped down to her skeleton by now.

I feel your pain. I think I've sent out at least a gross. Out of those, a handful got further than the initial interview, at which point they said they wanted someone with more experience to work first-level help desk. (Right because you need a master's degree and a laundry list of certifications to reset Active Directory passwords all day.)

Damn you, companies who want 50 years of working experience for entry-level positions (ie all of them). Damn you all. :x

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #136 on: 08 Jul 2009, 12:04 »

I'm a little different here - I've held 3 jobs my entire working life (I will not discuss the 4 weeks I worked as a security guard at an apt building - that I still drink to forget....):

a.  Member of the Reserves (filled in a lot of forms, had a medical exam, and 23 years later - here I am);
b.  Paralegal (private practice) - was let go because the firm was finding it hard to collect fees, and guess what my name wasn't on the door or loans; and
c.  Paralegal (government service) - got a reference from a friend that competition was open to the public, put in a resume, and 2 months later I'm a public servant. 

I thank my lucky stars that the jobs I have are not ones that will see me looking for work in this economic climate (when was the last time your military downsized their PART-time personnel, or your government got rid of legal staff?)

What are Wil's job skills?  What does he bring to the party (besides Penny)?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Shok Xone Studios

• Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #137 on: 08 Jul 2009, 13:48 »

I feel your pain. I think I've sent out at least a gross. Out of those, a handful got further than the initial interview, at which point they said they wanted someone with more experience to work first-level help desk. (Right because you need a master's degree and a laundry list of certifications to reset Active Directory passwords all day.)

Damn you, companies who want 50 years of working experience for entry-level positions (ie all of them). Damn you all. :x

It's a vicious cycle. You can't gain experience, because no one will hire you, because you lack experience. FUCKBALLS to it all.
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #138 on: 08 Jul 2009, 14:04 »

Wil could be a motorcycle messenger.

Some places, supposedly, will hire liberal arts graduates (which Wil probably is) because they have a proven ability to read and write.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #139 on: 08 Jul 2009, 15:11 »

If QC is second best, what's the best?
They say the Joker is a wanted man...

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #140 on: 08 Jul 2009, 15:59 »

Also, BOOK-SPLOSION t-shirts please?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

giant_bug

• Emoticontraindication
  • I hope you like Giant Bugs
« Reply #141 on: 08 Jul 2009, 16:22 »

Damn, I love the QC-verse.

Guy's had no job for six years and his hot blonde girlfriend takes him in and gives him booty work-fare.

GUYS CAN"T LOSE IN QC!!!!  WHOOO!!!

Well, except for Sven; but he's a dick.  WHOO!!!! NERDY GUYS CAN'T LOSE!!! WHOOO!!!

HeyItsMatt

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #142 on: 08 Jul 2009, 16:51 »

Guy's had no job for six years and his hot blonde girlfriend takes him in and gives him booty work-fare.

GUYS CAN"T LOSE IN QC!!!!  WHOOO!!!

Well, except for Sven; but he's a dick.  WHOO!!!! NERDY GUYS CAN'T LOSE!!! WHOOO!!!

To be honest, I'm not sure if that's the QC-verse so much as it is the "any kind of media on the internet and/or created by dorky males" verse.  But your comment was still amusing. 

As a dorky male in his 20's with a part time job who lives at home, these last two comics have depressed me.  But not enough to actually make me get off my butt or anything.  Ah well.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #143 on: 08 Jul 2009, 20:19 »

Okay, Penny made up for her "total fucking loser" comment by being supportive to Wil, good job Penn-o. Although it was quite a flip but I guess thats us girls for you!
The flip is evidence that she finished getting dressed, calming herself down, leaving panties in their proper position #4.

Doc

Re: WCT July 8 2009
« Reply #144 on: 09 Jul 2009, 00:24 »

Shirt, pants, bra, panties?

Nah, just pants and panties would be sufficient for the reward  :-P

zilch365

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #145 on: 09 Jul 2009, 00:38 »

Ok, I thoroughly enjoyed this new strip. Faye is priceless. Poor Wil, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #146 on: 09 Jul 2009, 00:42 »

Was this the first time we saw the supportive side of Pennelope?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #147 on: 09 Jul 2009, 00:48 »

GUYS CAN"T LOSE IN QC!!!!  WHOOO!!!

Well, except for Sven; but he's a dick.  WHOO!!!! NERDY GUYS CAN'T LOSE!!! WHOOO!!!

If you're cute enough, girls will melt enough at the loins to be distracted from how much of a loser person of unrealized potential you are.

Also, Hanners reads a shitton of shit on the internet, I find it inconcievable for her to not know that manga and anime are already plural. You get that stuff through osmosis. I wish that Marigold would at least correct her.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2009, 00:51 by Delirium »

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #148 on: 09 Jul 2009, 00:56 »

Manga isnt plural, obviously. :-P

I dont like Faye much in todays comic, to be honest. Come on, she's plain sadistic. Over a guy who didnt followed the usual testosterone stereotype. I always thought girls WANT that.

And I seriously hope too Penpen and Wil wont just vanish from the comic, yes.
Carpe Diem

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #149 on: 09 Jul 2009, 01:09 »

It's a vicious cycle. You can't gain experience, because no one will hire you, because you lack experience. FUCKBALLS to it all.

The computer industry used to have (may still for all I know) a habit of requiring two years experience in software that hadn't even been released yet...

And the rest of this discussion has got rather bogged down in the notion that having a regular paid job and living away from home is the only way to be respectable.  I've already mentioned my friend who is nearing retirement age and still living at home with his mum; and my son didn't get a job until he was 35, because he had spent the previous 12 years doing the starving artist bit as a pianist (and incidentally managing to build up an international reputation, which is why he was invited to take up the job).  We don't yet know enough about Wil to write him off so completely.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up