THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 30 Apr 2024, 20:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: Aug 17-21, 2009  (Read 52266 times)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Re: WCT: Aug 17-21, 2009
« Reply #150 on: 21 Aug 2009, 00:49 »

This just kinda happened during tonight's Ustream :lol: :

{img}

Derp

I'm missing what you're trying to point out.  :?
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #151 on: 21 Aug 2009, 01:03 »

I got that, but what was it doing there?

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #152 on: 21 Aug 2009, 03:42 »

Not wholly. You can do half of the Black Fathoms Deep dungeon without launching an instance and I've just started Gnomergan and haven't run in to an instance yet.

If Marigold doesn't have back ups, she's going to be losing serious geek cred here.

I-rony. Losing serious geek cred.... and you're citing your experience in Gnomergan and BFD?

For the record, they're all fucking instances. Instance=dungeon, they're entirely interchangeable words.
From the official WoW site: "An instance is a personal copy of the dungeon for you and your party.

And therefore a dungeon which does not create personal copies of itself for each party (as maddness asserts is the case) cannot be referred to as an instance. Try reading the stuff you are citing.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #153 on: 21 Aug 2009, 03:44 »

"Drat"?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #154 on: 21 Aug 2009, 04:35 »

Err, an "instance" is just a "copy" of something.

ANY copy.

For example, if you have 10 identical copies of a dungeons, each the same looking, its 10 instances. Even if you dont get your own personal copy, only have to choose the emptiest of the 10 by yourself.

Even more importantly, if there is only ONE copy of a dungeon, one can call it also "instance" or "THE (only) instance".

If you play WoW though there instances means something specific, i.e. dungeons. But in a different MMO, the same word may mean something else.
Carpe Diem

ridingonemptytrains

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #155 on: 21 Aug 2009, 04:41 »

Since Marigold turned up in the comic I've been expecting Jeph to lead her to this epiphany and have her make a subsequent transformation into a social butterfly.

I'm glad he didn't, I like Marigold the way she is.

innermoppet

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #156 on: 21 Aug 2009, 05:47 »

I don't know why but Marigold saying "Momo friggin' blew up my PC!" made me laugh and laugh. I think it was her use of the word "friggin'". Sometimes cursing isn't always the funniest way to express something apparently.

Watching Marigold and her crushing lack of self awareness makes me think of The Guild. Future Marigold=Vork.

"I wanna grow my money Tink; not spend it on CHEESE GOUGING!" Heeheehee.

Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #157 on: 21 Aug 2009, 06:00 »

Since Marigold turned up in the comic I've been expecting Jeph to lead her to this epiphany and have her make a subsequent transformation into a social butterfly.

I am also glad. Not everyone likes being a social butterfly (I know I do not). Though I do wonder what Jeph will do with her, I doubt he would have included her in the comic unless she is the catalyst for some sort of change.
That being said, I am just waiting for an awkward Angus/Sven physical confrontation entirely separate from Marigold.

Angafirith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #158 on: 21 Aug 2009, 06:22 »

Even more importantly, if there is only ONE copy of a dungeon, one can call it also "instance" or "THE (only) instance".
MMORPGS generally have a significant problem with competition. It's happened too many times to me that I've finally gathered together a group of friends to help me level or get a drop, only to find out that someone else is already doing it. If you're going after an enemy that only pops every 2-4 hours, does not drop the item every single time, and you don't know when it last died, this can be kind of tricky. What about an enemy that only pops every 21-24 hours? Or one that will randomly pop up instead of the previous one, but only after four days of its previous death? No one wants to lose out and have to start waiting all over again, right? And this is actually a relatively minor example. Even though it may be valid under the denotation of the word, I would hesitate before calling the dungeon in which this enemy resides an "instance". In my option, it should only be called an "instance" if it is designed to counteract this problem by allowing several groups to attempt to complete the same task at the same time.

It can have a great impact on the level of difficulty. If too many groups enter an area and are trying to compete for the same enemies, there will be a large amount of downtime for both groups because all of the foes will be dead. Or, worse, I have seen people actually try to kill off the other group. If two groups are trying to pass through the same area to get to somewhere more interesting, they'll have a far easier time since someone else will be killing some of the enemies.

In my game, FFXI, there's a lot of overhead in trying to level. It sounds pretty basic, but this game pretty much requires a 6 person party a lot of the time. Finding six people to play with you, especially if you play a job that's not in much demand, can be quite difficult. It may be several hours before you get to play. Most random people you pick-up will want to go to one of these de facto leveling spots. These places are, of course, the most crowded. You end up not having enough to do and experience comes in slowly.

H0b0K!n9

• Plantmonster
  • You WILL respect the fedora!
« Reply #159 on: 21 Aug 2009, 06:41 »

I agree. She works really well with the other characters the way she is.
First you take my sanity, and now my hat? WHERE DOES IT END?!?!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #160 on: 21 Aug 2009, 07:12 »

Besides, I was very impressed that Merigold is able to weep.
Carpe Diem

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #161 on: 21 Aug 2009, 07:18 »

I love Marigold the way she is and, thought it's natural for a person/character to change over time, it would be ridiculous for her to change drastically after an outing or two. I really hope she stays much the way she is for a while to come.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

Random832

« Reply #162 on: 21 Aug 2009, 07:34 »

No, that would be stupid. It's called a non-instanced dungeon.

Steve the Pocket

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyoro~n is the new desu
« Reply #163 on: 21 Aug 2009, 08:00 »

Besides, I was very impressed that Merigold is able to weep.

Without putting a hole in the carpet, that is.  Pintsize would be jealous if he found out oh who am I kidding, he's probably proud of any "feature" (read: bug) that has destructive capabilities.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #164 on: 21 Aug 2009, 08:25 »

Duh, it's the same feature that allows for the anime sweatdrop effect. See newspost #1440.

(And I think you both mean Momo)
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

• Not quite a lurker
  • diversion
    • My Blog
« Reply #165 on: 21 Aug 2009, 09:49 »

Momo little teary-eyed face in panel two makes me want to hug her.

...which I suddenly realize is the point of that bit of programming.

Well played.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #166 on: 21 Aug 2009, 10:32 »

I got it! The guild leader must be Pizza Girl. It's so improbable it has to be true.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #167 on: 21 Aug 2009, 10:35 »

Sarah, using WiFi from the allosaurus' innards...
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Shadic

• Shadic's Website
« Reply #168 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:11 »

Revelation: Sven and Marigold are in the same guild.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #169 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:56 »

That could make for an interesting story arc.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #170 on: 21 Aug 2009, 12:01 »

Mrs. Bianchi is the guild leader. 
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #171 on: 21 Aug 2009, 12:33 »

And Raven's a 'Secret Member'.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #172 on: 21 Aug 2009, 12:55 »

I think someone should make a poll wo might be the guild leader.

Oh, and the allosaurus is probably the guild's Leeroy.

jonarus_drakus

• Marigold and Pintsize's lovechild
« Reply #173 on: 21 Aug 2009, 15:08 »

Momo frying Marigolds PC, i can 'see' the call to tech support now:

Marigold: "Can you help me, my Chibi Anthro PC used force lightning and fried mt desktop mid raid!"
Tech support: "Whaaaa?..."
EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!!

TheKingOfFuzz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #174 on: 21 Aug 2009, 15:35 »

Hey there, ultra-hip, super-insular QC forum cats (and cat-ettes!)!

New kid on the block reporting in.

So: having found the thread where, presumably, I can talk about this week's strips without getting beaten over the head with the Official QC Forum Rulebook, I thought I'd repost something I initially polluted the "Hi! I'm New!" boards with.

I really, totally, unabashedly LOVED the "crying Momo" in the Aug. 21 strip.

Might even be merch-worthy.

Not as merch-worthy as, say, urinal cakes shaped like Pintsize's head, mind you.

It's the un-punctuated "WAAAAAAAAH" the really does it for me.

alienatedduck

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Dog And Louse
« Reply #175 on: 21 Aug 2009, 16:16 »

I am also glad. Not everyone likes being a social butterfly (I know I do not). Though I do wonder what Jeph will do with her, I doubt he would have included her in the comic unless she is the catalyst for some sort of change.
That being said, I am just waiting for an awkward Angus/Sven physical confrontation entirely separate from Marigold.

I think she might be an Angus catalyst as per him compaining to Momo about him wishing he was invited out. Marigold may change in the future, but I think right now she's here for a few jokes, but then to push Angus into the group more causing hilarious situations involving his penis.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #176 on: 21 Aug 2009, 17:21 »

...involving his penis.

Come again?

giant_bug

• Emoticontraindication
  • I hope you like Giant Bugs
« Reply #177 on: 21 Aug 2009, 18:29 »

I love Momo's anime-River-of-Tears.   She's got the Big Sweat Drop, the River of Tears.  Now we need the Anime style Blush, http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-220275/blushing-in-anime/?pg=9, and the Face-Fault.  Oh, and the Nose-Bleed. 

Not sure if I want to see the eels.

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #178 on: 21 Aug 2009, 18:54 »

...involving his penis.

Come again?

That's what she said.

Oh I now I need to go shower, I feel awful at having made such a remark.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #179 on: 21 Aug 2009, 19:51 »

I love Momo's anime-River-of-Tears.   She's got the Big Sweat Drop, the River of Tears.  Now we need the Anime style Blush, http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-220275/blushing-in-anime/?pg=9, and the Face-Fault.  Oh, and the Nose-Bleed. 

Not sure if I want to see the eels.
The nose bleed is more of a man thing. It's a symbolic depiction of ejaculation.

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #180 on: 22 Aug 2009, 00:04 »

...involving his penis.

Come again?

Oh I now I need to go shower,

That's what she said.

Also, I definitely do NOT want to see the eels.
Fight Me, Bitches!

Masterbainter

• FIGHT YOU
  • those times...
« Reply #181 on: 22 Aug 2009, 03:33 »

this comic has gotten really cute and reminds me of my gaming years, excellent!
Hey guys let me tell you about my intercourses.

My intercourses, let me tell you about them.

Team Venture

• Not quite a lurker
  • octopuses, octopi, and octopodes
« Reply #182 on: 22 Aug 2009, 10:58 »

I don't know if you've heard, but there are other games besides WoW that people enjoy playing and the fact that I've only recently begun playing that particular game has nothing to do with geek cred.

The point, sir or madame, was that I was not the only person there in Gnomergan and the first half of Black Fathoms Deep. There were other players and parties there. By the definition you yourself posted that does not qualify as an instance. How then can the terms be interchangeable?

it takes a really long time to level  when you've got about 4 playable hours max per day, that's if I wouldn't rather spend that time with my husband watching a movie or something. Gotta have your priorities straight.

Okay...
1: I know there are other games, but we already established (or made the strong assumption) that Marigold has been playing WoW. There's a whole thread on it.

2: I was just pointing out the irony in making a comment about geek cred alongside references to instances that came out 5 years ago.

3: Your original point was that you can do part of a dungeon without having done an instance. I disagree. The dungeon is the instance, and vice versa. If you haven't gone through the portal you're just out the front of the damn place. Anyone who has played a lot of WoW and would like to disagree with me here, go ahead. You don't say "oh hey I did half of Wailing Caverns today" when all you did was clear to the door!

4: I wasn't asking for a defense of why you don't have a lot of play time. If me finding irony in your geek cred statement offended you, I apologize. It was not my intention.

However, in Everquest (the only true MMO,) There are dungeons that are not instances and instances that are not dungeons. Therefore, the words are not interchangeable.

pwned.

Also, it is entirely possible that Momo finished the raid and then got sucked into a regular after-raid group. I would think if she were still raiding she would have said "I want to finish this raid" rather than "instance."

It's different in EQ. In Warcraft there are no dungeons you can run that aren't your own private version. Well, not until the next expansion, at least.  Although, now you bring up 'raid'... you could be in a raid group but not in an instance or dungeon. But, now we're just getting into MMO naming semantics... wait, we were already there ._.

You're not actually in an instance until you walk through the swirly patch of corridor.
So there.

Yes, but you aren't really in the dungeon either.

And therefore a dungeon which does not create personal copies of itself for each party (as maddness asserts is the case) cannot be referred to as an instance. Try reading the stuff you are citing.

Hey, hey, hey. I don't know how you got into this, but I'm not sure you're speaking from first-hand experience. Grats on trying to solve the debate anyway, but once more: In Warcraft there are no dungeons which do not create copies for you and your party. There are a handful of dungeons that have a tunnel or somesuch leading to the door but I've never known a Warcraft player in the 5 years I've played who has ever claimed that the junk on the way to the door counts as "the dungeon". Try understanding the stuff you are citing, sir.

If you play WoW though there instances means something specific, i.e. dungeons. But in a different MMO, the same word may mean something else.

Yes, that's all good and well... we are talking about WoW, though. I do understand, for the record, that it means other things in other MMOs.

Now look... I'm sorry if I got anyone upset or grouchy. It's a pretty silly debate in the first place, but I do feel quite confident (in case you can't tell by the above novel) that I know what I'm talking about. I do hate to sound like a complete jerk, but I also hate having 5 people jump on my comment and try to tell me I'm wrong.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #183 on: 22 Aug 2009, 12:00 »

Momo little teary-eyed face in panel two makes me want to hug her.

...which I suddenly realize is the point of that bit of programming.

Well played.
Just so.  The Japanese are experts at moe-crafting.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #184 on: 22 Aug 2009, 12:24 »

Don't say shit like that! Seriously. It will attract Angus/Sven shippers!
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #185 on: 22 Aug 2009, 13:40 »

I doubt it.

If there are, it will be more due to you posting than her post.

EDIT: Fixed, sorry Tinkerbell.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2009, 08:17 by The Duke »
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Sir Doober

« Reply #186 on: 22 Aug 2009, 14:26 »

If the next comic has Sven answering the phone with Marigold on the other end, I called it. :3

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #187 on: 22 Aug 2009, 15:14 »

That won't happen, its too obvious.

Unless if it's obvious that it won't happen.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #188 on: 22 Aug 2009, 17:00 »

I doubt it.

If there are, it will be more due to you posting than his post.
Oh, shit, you're right! I may have unintentionally invoked Rule 34.  :oops:

I'm so very sorry...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #189 on: 22 Aug 2009, 18:18 »

I doubt it.

If there are, it will be more due to you posting than his post.

His?

Besides, I thought there already were shippers. It would be strange if not, I thought there were shippers for pretty much any combination of characters you could think of.

nichidani

• nrrd grrl.
    • myspace.
« Reply #190 on: 22 Aug 2009, 18:28 »

yeah, there are. rule 34.
kittens!

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #191 on: 22 Aug 2009, 19:31 »

2: I was just pointing out the irony in making a comment about geek cred alongside references to instances that came out 5 years ago.

My comment on her geek cred had nothing to do with WoW, nor does geek cred in general have anything to do with WoW, so why would that be ironic?

3: Your original point was that you can do part of a dungeon without having done an instance. I disagree. The dungeon is the instance, and vice versa. If you haven't gone through the portal you're just out the front of the damn place. Anyone who has played a lot of WoW and would like to disagree with me here, go ahead. You don't say "oh hey I did half of Wailing Caverns today" when all you did was clear to the door!

Just because players have decided that the terms dungeon and instance are interchangeable does not make it factually correct. It's true that you can not clear an entire instance dungeon without going through an instance, but that does not make the entire dungeon an instance. Blizzard defines instances as zones within a dungeon.

... two types of dungeons while playing World of Warcraft: micro dungeons and world dungeons. <cut>  Micro dungeon locations will include tombs, haunted mines, ice caves, and sunken ships to name a few. The transition into and out of these dungeons will be seamless, and you'll be able to run into other players anywhere along the way. <cut> World dungeons <cut> are grander in scale than micro dungeons and are specifically designed for more epic encounters. All these locations have common areas where players can meet up and fight together. But, deeper in the dungeons are areas set up specifically for more private group adventures. These areas, called "instanced zones," allow you and a group of friends to have a more personal experience, exploring, adventuring, or completing quests in your own private dungeon.
Fight Me, Bitches!

Random832

« Reply #192 on: 23 Aug 2009, 15:36 »

The problem is people who parrot the term "instance" without originally knowing what that means, imagining it to refer to dungeons generally, and then going through contortions to justify their usage as the "correct" usage and people correcting them as being somehow wrong.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
« Reply #193 on: 23 Aug 2009, 15:39 »

Or maybe the problem is that a passing mention of a game in a comic is being taken much too seriously  :-P
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #194 on: 23 Aug 2009, 16:30 »

I know. My brain tends to get hung up on pointless facts. Sorry, folks.  :angel:
Fight Me, Bitches!

Lildaani

• Not quite a lurker
  • The content of this post freaks Marten out.
« Reply #195 on: 23 Aug 2009, 22:50 »

For the record, my post was intended almost entirely as a joke. I thought the "(the only true MMO)" and the "pwned" would make this obvious. I recognize that different games are different (duh.) You didn't upset me, nor did I intend to jump on your post.

Have an afro-smiley.  :mrgreen:
And damn that Roomba. I thought for sure I was going to lose a finger.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up