THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 22:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: August 24-28, 2009  (Read 55193 times)

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
Re: WCT: August 24-28, 2009
« Reply #150 on: 28 Aug 2009, 12:47 »

I too have fallen ass-backwards into jobs due to strange incidents like this.    One time I got a job that lasted three years simply because I had steel-toe boots on at the interview.

Mambo

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #151 on: 28 Aug 2009, 14:58 »

Also, and I'm totally not trying to point out a typo, because God knows I always type perfectly, but how did a "\" end up in the word "don\'t" in the news post? How is that even possible, I mean physically?

There are lots of programming languages in which the apostrophe is a special character, and sometimes code can get a bit aggressive about it. \' or even \\\' is surprisingly common.

Ah, that makes sense, software is to blame.

You know what they say.
"To err is human, but to really frell up takes a computer."

Charleson Mambo

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #152 on: 28 Aug 2009, 17:07 »

Sven - went to college and got good grades with little to no effort, but we don't know in what - professional song writer
That's because no one can major in "fall-into-your-lap."

Major in dance and you can technically major in "fall into peoples laps..."
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

AnkhWL

• Plantmonster
« Reply #153 on: 28 Aug 2009, 18:33 »

I cannot be the only one is wanting to scream at Jeph to beat the Awkward Moments joke into the ground. Be honestly I'm a steampunk freak so anything partially Victorian-esque makes me squeal.

Plus its just hilarious to have all the characters acting normal with bartenders in Victorian attire.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #154 on: 29 Aug 2009, 00:33 »

At this point it is becoming a running gag, and if he were to stop, there would be fans, perhaps months or even years into the future who would be all like "Why doesn't Jeph do ant Victorian costume jokes anymore?"

Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #155 on: 29 Aug 2009, 00:51 »

I cannot understand this, but the more I look at Wil in the third panel, the more he looks like a head and neck sticking out of a flat cut-out—as though if you turned him sideways, everything but his head and neck would disappear into a line. I think it has something to do with combination of the tweed coat and the wide, lined shirtfront. Somehow the two combine with the head to give an Escher-like effect.

I feel bad about pointing this out—the art has been really, really, excellent these past few weeks (so, of course, I've not said a thing), and I'm loving the perspective 'shots.' But this one didn't work, somehow, and—this is the thing—it bugs me, because I can't figure out why.

And, of course, it may just be my crazy occipital lobes.
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2009, 00:55 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #156 on: 29 Aug 2009, 06:40 »

I think there are a couple of factors in play here. The first is that the lapels of the jacket are too straight, too vertical and off center, which makes it look like it's on a hangar. That other is that patterns are hard to hand draw, especially if you try to give them form or volume. The pattern also masks the shading on Wil's body, which is one of the major cues Jeph uses to give his characters form.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #157 on: 29 Aug 2009, 11:52 »

I'm having fun editing comics with different dialog.

Isn't that from 8-Bit Theater?
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #158 on: 29 Aug 2009, 12:50 »

The pattern also masks the shading on Wil's body, which is one of the major cues Jeph uses to give his characters form.
I see what you mean. Or understand what I don't see, as the case may be.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #159 on: 29 Aug 2009, 17:55 »

At this point it is becoming a running gag, and if he were to stop, there would be fans, perhaps months or even years into the future who would be all like "Why doesn't Jeph do ant Victorian costume jokes anymore?"

Maybe he can collaborate on something with David Malki !  :lol:
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #160 on: 30 Aug 2009, 15:57 »

With regard to "natty old blazer"... Does "natty" mean something different in America or at least Massachusetts? Where I come from, "natty" means "neat, trim and smart", as in: "That is a natty suit". Or was "natty" supposed to be "ratty"?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cerement

• Plantmonster
    • cerement @ friendfeed
« Reply #161 on: 30 Aug 2009, 16:47 »

Old and ratty, usually from being over-worn (or worn and washed way too often) -- "you're not wearing that natty old sweatshirt again, are you? it's gonna fall apart the next time you wash it!"

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #162 on: 30 Aug 2009, 17:01 »

Old, ratty sweater = nappy, because the nap is raised and fuzzy. Akima has the right definition of natty.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

Watched Pot

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #163 on: 30 Aug 2009, 18:00 »

I will stand with cerement. Living in America, I've never heard the word used to describe any garment less than, say, 20 years old and in a condition that shows its age. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps around here at some point people started using the word sarcastically and it just gradually got to the point where it is almost always used in that context (I know there are other words/phrases like this but for the life of me I can't think of an example right now). In any case, it is not a very commonly used word (around here).
Don't you do cocaine at ME, you son of a bitch!

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #164 on: 30 Aug 2009, 18:08 »

Hannelore - went to college - small business owner/counts stuff
Counting stuff is not a small business? Well, very small, I'll grant you, but still, she has at least one major client.

I'd actually say "independent consultant" rather than "small business owner".

cgarci21

• Shagtastic
« Reply #165 on: 30 Aug 2009, 18:10 »

Its dictionary definition is to be neat or trim but I think, insofar as connotative use, the definition is different based on place. I've always heard 'natty' used to describe something worn/old, which is apparently wrong. It may just be one of those locational colloquialisms, like 'pop'. I've called soda 'pop' all my life but its only called 'pop' in the midwest US, everywhere else its soda. Meh.
You know how animals can sense a tsunami coming before humans notice? I'm like that, only for sexy things. -Dora Bianchi

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #166 on: 30 Aug 2009, 19:52 »

I live in the midwest  and have never called it pop or soda pop. My step-sister, who is from Denver, calls it pop.
Fight Me, Bitches!

Watched Pot

« Reply #167 on: 30 Aug 2009, 20:04 »

I live in the midwest  and have never called it pop or soda pop. My step-sister, who is from Denver, calls it pop.
According to this map, you live in Cherry County, Nebraska.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/Sodavspopvscoke.png

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #168 on: 30 Aug 2009, 20:35 »

Living in America, I've never heard the word used to describe any garment less than, say, 20 years old and in a condition that shows its age.
Fair enough. Down here, we'd call a garment like that "daggy".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #169 on: 30 Aug 2009, 22:10 »

Nope ... I once went through Nebraska on the way to Denver. I challenge the correctness of that map. I was born and raised in Chicago and, excepting my grandmother's cousin who calls it Sodee Pop, I never heard anyone refer to it as pop until I met my step-family. My grandmother's cousin is from Alton, IL, within spitting distance of Missouri.

I've only ever seen the use of natty in literature and that was always the original meaning. I've never personally heard any one use natty. I've heard someone say that another person was nattily dressed, but they meant neatly. If it's used as slang for something old and worn, then it's just not been used so much in my area.
Fight Me, Bitches!

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #170 on: 03 Sep 2009, 00:30 »

I agree with you about "natty," Maddness, and I think some are indeed confusing it with "nappy," perhaps attempting some odd version of Grimm's Law. I actually wonder if Wil is putting it in quotes because it's a point of disagreement between him and Penelope: he thinks the blazer "natty" and she thinks, well, not.

I live in the American South, and I heard the terms "pop" or "soda pop" for soda when I was younger (20 years or so ago). I also know that some of the folks who used the term have/had relatives in Chicago and Detroit. Whether they carried it there, or brought it here, I can't say.

Watched Pot

« Reply #171 on: 03 Sep 2009, 01:11 »

I am quite sure it's not just a natty/nappy confusion. I know the dictionary definition says it means neat, but for whatever reason "natty" is sometimes used to mean just the opposite. Maybe it's regional, maybe as I suggested above it stems from sarcastic use, maybe it all flows from one random dude a few years ago who used it incorrectly and no one bothered to look it up.

As far as "nappy" is concerned though, I've only ever heard or seen it used the way Don Imus famously used it. Wouldn't even cross my mind to use it in relation to clothing.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #172 on: 03 Sep 2009, 06:28 »

Where I come from, a nappy is a garment of sorts, usually worn by babies.
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2009, 06:34 by Akima »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up