THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 11:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schadenhorny?  (Read 7472 times)

Zer0th

• Not quite a lurker
Schadenhorny?
« on: 08 Sep 2009, 23:50 »

Uhm, we don't have this word in Germany. But we do have now :)
Thanks for this word, I like it.

Cheers

Zer0th

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
Re: Schadenhorny?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 2009, 00:11 »

Not quite... but we germans normally have a word for everything...or if not, borrow it from other languages.

Ok. "Schadenfroh / Schadenfreude"

1. Malicious enjoyment derived from observing someone else's misfortune; schadenfreude.
2. Satisfaction derived when an individual has misfortune for disregarding rules or conventions.
3. Gleeful in the downfall of others (i.e. one's enemies)

Not quite fitting. Buuutt...

What we have too is "Zerstörungsorgie" (Destruction-orgy)

1. Getting a kick out of the total destruction of other peoples goods
2. Getting aroused during smashing every constructed thing around you or watching others do that.

9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

Pengupower

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 2009, 00:25 »

My first instinct is that it is a play on words on Schadenfreude.  I like the new word better.  Hopefully an excuse will come up in conversation at some point in the near future to use it.

leche

« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2009, 00:33 »

Yeah, its kinda cool.
Either i will use this or "DAAAAAAAAAANG" ;)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #4 on: 09 Sep 2009, 00:58 »

Zerstörungsorgie is just mayhem in english.

There. Same meaning, shorter word.

So I dont see whats so special or why the english would need to lend a word for it.
Carpe Diem

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #5 on: 09 Sep 2009, 02:18 »

There are existing english words for so many things, with the exact meaning. Nevertheless, Kindergarten, Rucksack and else are common and used in places where english is the "motherlanguage".

Personally, i find the mixture out of english and german (like Schadenhorny) very funny. And it sounds way better this way around. "Damagegeil" is not half as funny. Even with the exact same meaning.

9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #6 on: 09 Sep 2009, 03:31 »

"Schadenfroh"
I thought that was malicious enjoyment of large frizzy haircuts...  :mrgreen:

"Schardenfreude"

Malicious enjoyment of Viennese psychoanalysts...
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2009, 03:36 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #7 on: 09 Sep 2009, 15:20 »

Zerstörungsorgie? Nice. I'll do my best to use that word in my descriptions.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2009, 22:05 »

"Schadenfroh"
I thought that was malicious enjoyment of large frizzy haircuts...  :mrgreen:

Oh. my. god.  Someone actually found an appropriate use for mr. green! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2009, 03:57 »

For best fake German word ever, I think Fickenfreude beats Schadenhorny hands down.

sarcasticsmoothie

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2009, 14:35 »

must. learn. german.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2009, 15:58 »

Except fickenfreude might actually make sense - I believe it literally means fucking joy (as in, taking joy in fucking.)

cerement

• Plantmonster
    • cerement @ friendfeed
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2009, 16:37 »

Okay, with all the armchair linguists in this thread, maybe someone could answer a question I've had for a long time.

Schadenfreude (or at least the English borrowed form) is pretty general, "enjoyment at another's misfortune". But it doesn't differentiate between pranks, acts-of-god, self-caused, or other. We've got an over-specific "Darwin award" for those who've self-caused their misfortune severely enough to remove themselves from breeding.

What I've been looking for is a word (preferably, but not necessarily in German) that would describe a reflexive form of schadenfreude, ie. - enjoyment at another's misfortune that they caused to themselves (most likely through sheer stupidity).

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2009, 18:06 »

what the fuck is with you germans and your goddamned complex compound words WHAT THE HELL
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2009, 22:34 »

Okay, with all the armchair linguists in this thread, maybe someone could answer a question I've had for a long time.

Schadenfreude (or at least the English borrowed form) is pretty general, "enjoyment at another's misfortune". But it doesn't differentiate between pranks, acts-of-god, self-caused, or other. We've got an over-specific "Darwin award" for those who've self-caused their misfortune severely enough to remove themselves from breeding.

What I've been looking for is a word (preferably, but not necessarily in German) that would describe a reflexive form of schadenfreude, ie. - enjoyment at another's misfortune that they caused to themselves (most likely through sheer stupidity).

I don't think there's a word for this, but you can take any word for a misfortune that they caused themselves and combine it with -freude, for example Sadofreude or Darwinfreude.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2009, 02:39 »

Cerement, THAT is the true "Schadenfreude". You laugh only if another inflicts damage on himself. If the damage comes from other sources than own stupidity, it is not funny... and by this, no "Schadenfreude", like if another car crashes into the one of your neighbours. If you get your fun out of the damage others receive by acts of god or just pure "Shit Happens", then it is "Haeme" (maliciousness) or "Niedertracht" (infamousness).

Pages: [1]   Go Up