THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 15:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 583438 times)

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #2500 on: 02 Nov 2011, 18:27 »

I have found the .gif that encapsulates everything there is to know about hockey.

I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2501 on: 02 Nov 2011, 22:11 »

You left out the part where they shake hands later anyway.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2502 on: 18 Nov 2011, 20:32 »

The BCS could be in chaos shortly.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2503 on: 18 Nov 2011, 20:35 »

Uhm, wow.

77 seconds to a possible major upset in the BCS rankings...
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2504 on: 18 Nov 2011, 20:58 »

Check that - we have a major upset in the BCS standings. Undefeated Oklahoma State loses to Iowa State - on the same day that OSU lost its women's basketball coach and assistant coach in a plane crash.

Ouch.

Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2505 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:24 »

The BCS committee is probably praying right now that Southern Methodist University plays this weekend like it was 30 years ago.
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2506 on: 19 Nov 2011, 10:54 »

You really think that Houston would be a serious candidate for the title game?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2507 on: 19 Nov 2011, 13:47 »

There'd be complaints from here to the Gulf Coast that they deserve a shot - especially if LSU blows it against Arkansas.

Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2508 on: 19 Nov 2011, 13:50 »

Meanwhile, the tragedy hasn't stopped hitting college sports yet:

Driver kills one, injures two in parking lot at Harvard-Yale game.
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2509 on: 19 Nov 2011, 14:53 »

There'd be complaints from here to the Gulf Coast that they deserve a shot - especially if LSU blows it against Arkansas.

Wasn't it the goal of the BCS formula to get rid of exactly that kind of problems? "Everybody" loves an undefeated team, sure, but it is a condition of the contest that if you schedule UCLA and ten push-overs, you pay the price in that the computers won't appreciate your team. Some pollsters love any undefeated team, many more will hit a team more severely for a late season loss as opposed to an early season loss, but together they bring enough of the psychological factors into the equation IMHO.

If you ask me, the big remaining problem with the BCS are the automatic bids to certain conference champs.  :evil:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2510 on: 19 Nov 2011, 15:07 »

See, that's the problem. Teams outside the "power" conferences (Pac-12, Big 10, SEC, Big XII, and "technically" the Big East and ACC) aren't ranked very high because they don't play any top-ranked teams. However, top ranked teams don't schedule them because of the Appalachian State Syndrome (you don't want to lose to a team from the WAC, MAC, Sun Belt, Conference USA or Mountain West - especially not at home).

So the only option for teams like Utah, Boise State and TCU is to bolt from their conferences and join a "Big" conference. In a way, it actually creates a sub-division of the BCS sub-division: The "Big Six" and the "Little Five". This explains why Conference USA is seeking to "merge" with the Big East (at least, in football).

Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2511 on: 19 Nov 2011, 15:17 »

You really think that Houston would be a serious candidate for the title game?

Right now, no. The problem is that while the computers don't take it into account, the voters in the Harris and the USA Today Coaches polls do see the outrageous scores being tallied by UH, and automatically assume "they're not playing anyone of consequence."

Truth of this - of the four computer rankings that post strength-of-schedule ratings, here's where Houston ranks:
  • Colley SOS rank - 125th (Yes, there are only 120 teams in I-BCS)
  • Sagarin SOS rank - 123rd
  • Massey SOS (played) rank - 113th
  • Anderson/Hester SOS rank - 113th

Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2512 on: 20 Nov 2011, 02:22 »

And before this becomes TOO much of my own thread to post in, I'll go out on a limb and say this is what the Top 5 in the BCS will look like:

1. LSU
2. Bama
3. Arkansas
4. Stanford
5. Virginia Tech

Houston will be sitting at number 6, most likely.
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2513 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:17 »

I see your point about it being difficult for those schools to schedule other strong teams. That is something I never thought about. My excuse is, of course, that I'm looking at this with shamrock-shaped glasses. May be the system should give more weight to the quality of out-of-conference opponents?

So the complaint is that the current system has built-in mechanisms maintaining the strong position of the traditionally strong conferences (and ND)? For newcomers the conference as a whole needs to gain respect in order for their best teams to get a shot? Something like that is there, but I'm not quite sure that I fully buy that. For example Boise State has been steadily building up a reputation as a strong program. They are relative newcomers to top ten, but at least the voters now all take them into reckoning (which IIRC was not the case, when they were first emerging). A Cinderella team coming out of a weak conference will have a hard time getting to play in the title game, but I don't see that as a major problem. A quality NCAA football team does not just come out of nowhere. Only a quarter of the roster (may be one half of the starters?) graduates every year, so a good team must have been decent a year before, right?

Or are you in favor of a play-off, a la NCAA hoops? I think the season is long enough as it is. These kids are supposed to study, too!

And before this becomes TOO much of my own thread to post in, I'll go out on a limb and say this is what the Top 5 in the BCS will look like:

1. LSU
2. Bama
3. Arkansas
4. Stanford
5. Virginia Tech

Houston will be sitting at number 6, most likely.
Officially I *have to* challenge that list because Stanford has yet to play Notre Dame. Judging from what I saw last night, this is unfortunately quite close to the mark...
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2011, 06:29 by Skewbrow »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2514 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:48 »

Truth be told, those five teams are the only ones who won in the top 10 this week, so it would follow.

Even though I am a fan of a team in the Big Ten, I am a huge advocate of a playoff. There were a couple of times during the Alvarez years that I thought the Badgers could have won a playoff if they had been allowed to do so. And, of course, my REAL alma mater has won three straight "playoffs" in Division III, so there you go.

Prediction: Notre Dame will be in a conference for football before the end of the decade. And Army and Navy will drop to DI-FCS before that time as well.
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2515 on: 20 Nov 2011, 04:59 »

Depends. If Kelly can bring back the old glory, and NBC money (consequently) will not dry out, there will be very little incentive for ND to join in any conference. Too many 'ifs' to my liking.

And what conference might it be? Geographically Big Ten makes the most sense, but would they welcome Notre Dame? Ok, so there is this marquee value thingy, but in that scenario that stock would be on its way down. Also, how large can a conference be before they start splitting it into groups?

I do realize that you cannot live on tradition alone. The same applies to service academies.

On second thought, the weight of tradition among the powers-that-be at ND is a religion. Reason has very little to do with it.

Gotta go watch some cross-country together with my son.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2011, 05:11 by Skewbrow »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2516 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:12 »

I'm betting on the CUSA-Big East Conglomeration that's being talked about. That would be the "mid-major" conference, and Notre Dame would add cachet to it.

And NBC Universal might decide to use their deal with UND to MAKE a superconference like Big East Conference USA.
Just another Joe like 46

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #2517 on: 21 Nov 2011, 20:50 »

Or are you in favor of a play-off, a la NCAA hoops? I think the season is long enough as it is. These kids are supposed to study, too!

This point is invalidated by the fact that Div II and III football DOES have playoffs (16 teams), and those are real student athletes who are playing without scholarships or chance to join the pros.

In local NBA news, the Sacramento King's arena, which for years went under the moniker Arco Arena, but sold naming rights to the makers of "Power Balance" bands (scammy magnetic wrist bands that supposedly increase athletic performance) last March to Power Balance Pavillion, has had irony slap them upside the head. The Power Balance company has just declared bankruptcy because they lost a lawsuit where any customer who ever bought one of their products may return it for a full refund because of fraudulent advertising claims.

Not like we'll ever see the Kings play there again given the combination of the lock-out and the owner's attempt to move the team to Anaheim.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2518 on: 21 Nov 2011, 21:39 »

This point is invalidated by the fact that Div II and III football DOES have playoffs (16 teams), and those are real student athletes who are playing without scholarships or chance to join the pros.
Didn't know that! A bit surprising actually. Where are the college sport reformers, when we need them the most?

Playoffs are kind of fun, when the nature of the game is such that the teams can play 4 games in a week, but that's not the case with football (might be interesting to see, though?). Otherwise it has the air of prolonging the agony. I also feel that the "best team of the year" means something else than "a decent team that just got its act together in January". But that is just me...

In local NBA news, the Sacramento King's arena, which for years went under the moniker Arco Arena, but sold naming rights to the makers of "Power Balance" bands (scammy magnetic wrist bands that supposedly increase athletic performance) last March to Power Balance Pavillion, has had irony slap them upside the head. The Power Balance company has just declared bankruptcy because they lost a lawsuit where any customer who ever bought one of their products may return it for a full refund because of fraudulent advertising claims.

Not like we'll ever see the Kings play there again given the combination of the lock-out and the owner's attempt to move the team to Anaheim.

Ouch. What do they call the stadium now? "The no name pavillion"? "A balancing act"? Or is it still PBP simply because nobody can pay the maintenance guys to take down the neon lights, banners and whatnot?

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #2519 on: 21 Nov 2011, 23:13 »

Didn't know that! A bit surprising actually. Where are the college sport reformers, when we need them the most?

Playoffs are kind of fun, when the nature of the game is such that the teams can play 4 games in a week, but that's not the case with football (might be interesting to see, though?). Otherwise it has the air of prolonging the agony. I also feel that the "best team of the year" means something else than "a decent team that just got its act together in January". But that is just me...

One point in favor of playoffs is that right now, you have a championship game, and 29 bowl games that nobody gives a crap about. With a 16-team playoff, you definitely are going to include the top contenders along with some other worthy teams, you'll have 15 games that mean everything to the schools involved and will get great ratings top to bottom, and you'd still have room for enough traditional invite bowls for those who like them.

As far as I'm concerned, when the Rose Bowl finally whored themselves out to the BCS nonsense, any argument based on the "tradition" of the bowl games became moot (not that this is your argument, but you hear it a lot among BCS supporters).

Ouch. What do they call the stadium now? "The no name pavillion"? "A balancing act"? Or is it still PBP simply because nobody can pay the maintenance guys to take down the neon lights, banners and whatnot?

The thing about a company declaring bankruptcy is that basically, all current agreements are frozen in place until the court makes a ruling about them, so even if the payments have stopped and the arena wanted to drop the name and seek somebody with the ability to pay, they can't void the contract. Right now the owners are saying publicly that they're happy with the arrangement and see no reason to change it.

Most people still reflexively say Arco Arena however. Which carries its own irony considering that when it was first named, stadium/arena naming rights were a fairly rare thing and a lot of people and news organizations refused to use it so as to not give away free advertising.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2520 on: 25 Nov 2011, 04:21 »

'Tis the day after thanksgiving. The Green Bay Packers are still undefeated, the Cowboys managed to win one, John Harbaugh beat his brother Jim in something more than a backyard family football game, and the 'Horns beat the Aggies in a rivalry game soon to end due to stupidity.

Just another Joe like 46

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #2521 on: 25 Nov 2011, 15:12 »

Don't forget Suh
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2522 on: 25 Nov 2011, 16:52 »

"Ndomankong Suh" - is that Samoan for "Doesn't think when on the field"?
Just another Joe like 46

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2523 on: 26 Nov 2011, 16:39 »

I am in tears right now, this may be the most beautifully perfect image ever seen by man.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2524 on: 30 Nov 2011, 16:23 »

The consensus Top Five in BCS Football:

1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma State
4. Stanford
5. Virginia Tech

...which is essentially the same as it was at this time last month. :|
Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2525 on: 30 Nov 2011, 17:23 »

I love the look of absolute horror on that guy's face.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2526 on: 30 Nov 2011, 21:44 »

I know right, it's beautiful

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2527 on: 30 Nov 2011, 22:08 »

:-)

I would hate it, if every time I make a hilarious mistake at work, footage of that would spread all over the internet.

OTOH this guy gets paid better.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2528 on: 01 Dec 2011, 07:20 »

He's a college athlete. He doesn't get paid.

There. I actually said it with a straight face.
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2529 on: 01 Dec 2011, 13:27 »

Arrggh. A wolverine? I should've recognized that uniform  :x

A college player getting paid? The horror.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2530 on: 01 Dec 2011, 14:59 »

Arrggh. A wolverine?

UM grad here. Are we going to have to battle?
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2531 on: 01 Dec 2011, 19:33 »

Arrggh. A wolverine?

Yes. UW sympathizer here. GO BIG RED. 
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2532 on: 01 Dec 2011, 23:43 »

Arrggh. A wolverine?

Yes. Let me first get some dirt from Knute Rockne's grave. I will sprinkle it over you to jinx you. And then we fight.

nobo

« Reply #2533 on: 02 Dec 2011, 03:47 »

A badger and a fighting irish fan? I'll save some time and take you both on at once.

That said, I hope Wisconsin blows MSU out of the water.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2534 on: 02 Dec 2011, 08:43 »

So do I. Then YOU can hail the REAL victors.  :-D :-D :-D

We haven't been to Pasadena for a while. I hear it's nice over New Year's.
Just another Joe like 46

nobo

« Reply #2535 on: 02 Dec 2011, 08:45 »

My wife's co-worker's husband has a few Wisconsin Rose Bowl rings that he earned himself. Very nice guy despite being a cheese curd fed badger.

Dude is hardcore.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2536 on: 04 Dec 2011, 22:25 »

The SEC has taken over the BCS.

LSU-Bama rematch for the title.
Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2537 on: 08 Dec 2011, 07:49 »

So what would you do with $260,000,000?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2538 on: 08 Dec 2011, 08:13 »

So what would you do with $260,000,000?
I wouldn't play in Los Angeles for the next 10 years, that's for sure.

Even if it did mean working right next door to Disneyland.
Just another Joe like 46

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2539 on: 08 Dec 2011, 13:10 »

Well, since $1,000,000 is two chicks at the same time, mathematically speaking, I'm gonna have to go with 520 chicks at the same time.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2540 on: 08 Dec 2011, 14:43 »

Rugby: Oxford Uni beat Cambridge Uni at Twickenham 28-10 today; I guess I think that's good!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2541 on: 08 Dec 2011, 16:42 »

I guess that's rapiers at dawn then.

Edit for Akima-appeasement purposes.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2011, 03:37 by Barmymoo »
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2542 on: 08 Dec 2011, 19:42 »

Tsk! Such crudity from representatives of such ancient institutions. Guns have no style at all.

Edit: Much better.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2011, 04:01 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2543 on: 09 Dec 2011, 14:05 »

Meanwhile, the "En-Bee-Aye" apparently is starting up again, and a lot of people have their undies in a bundle because some guy named "Chris Paul" is not playing for Los Angeles.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2544 on: 10 Dec 2011, 19:43 »

Something is NOT right in the state of Wisconsin right now.
Just another Joe like 46

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2545 on: 10 Dec 2011, 20:48 »

Are you talking about the Hebrew Syringe?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2546 on: 10 Dec 2011, 22:02 »

:x
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2547 on: 11 Dec 2011, 11:46 »

Re: The New Zealand Cricket Teams performance against Aussie.

@#$%@#@@^!!!!

That is all.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2548 on: 11 Dec 2011, 17:20 »

That bad?

(peeks, courtesy of Google)

Yeesh. 226 All out?
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2549 on: 11 Dec 2011, 19:54 »

*Mutter Mumble Mumble Mutter*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 76   Go Up