THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 09:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 583206 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #3500 on: 13 Dec 2014, 17:42 »

My alma mater is going to a bowl game. Yawn.

Pardon me if I'm not all that enthused; it's the ninth time in the last 10 years we will be playing in the Stagg Bowl.

And it's the same opponent as the last eight times.

AND we're 5-3 against them in those games.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3501 on: 13 Dec 2014, 18:16 »

American Standard should sponsor a University bowl game.  Then it could be the Toilet Bowl.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3502 on: 13 Dec 2014, 18:21 »

Both teams have to have 6-6 records and have to have either played in a conference championship in the last five years or played in a BCS bowl during that time.

BTW: The Stagg Bowl is the NCAA Division III Football Championship.
Just another Joe like 46

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #3503 on: 15 Dec 2014, 04:35 »

I have one question about fixed gear bikes. Why! Why is this a thing! Those things are friggin death traps.

It's a very different environment than the road. If anyone ever gets the opportunity, I strongly suggest they give it a go. Just the taster sessions offered by most velodromes (indoor and outdoor) can be a very exhilarating experience. When it comes to track riding, a fixed wheel bike is arguably safer. In the event of an incident there are far fewer moving/breakable parts to injur people with and damage the track.

Also, as an owner and regular rider of a fixed wheel bike, I don't find them to be particularly more dangerous than geared bikes. They do require a certain degree of competence and confidence but, while that may sound a little elitist, that bar isn't a high one.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #3504 on: 15 Dec 2014, 22:40 »

You also are forced to lean less into your turns, lest your pedals bite the road and send you airborne. Not to mention the fact you're probably not going to be able to compensate as well for centrifugal force's tendency to fling you off, nor get proper traction on your tires.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3505 on: 15 Dec 2014, 22:42 »

Of course you're talking about track riding, which I completely missed. But for the road, fixies are probably the stupidest thing I can imagine. Especially if you're in the hilly-ass Bay Area like I am.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3506 on: 16 Dec 2014, 00:08 »

Cornering is going to be limited mostly by frame geometry and crank length and I'll concede that you can't lean the bike as much. But if you factor in body position compensation then there's a relatively small number of corners that you'll just have to accept taking a bit slower than you might have got away with on gears. TBF your unlikely to hit those speeds anyway because of spin limits. I have managed the occasional pedal strike but nothings unseated me. I'm really not sure about the centrifugal force thing but nothing tends to fling me off. As for traction, no issues there either unless I'm in the mood for whip skids and skip stops.

I live in Sheffield and ride in the Peak District, make of that what you will. I think the Bay Area does host a few Fixed Wheel Crits which are worth watching.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3507 on: 16 Dec 2014, 01:20 »

All I know is that my fixie riding friends eat shit way more regularly than I do. I've fallen off my bike exactly twice in the years since 2010. My buddy Nick posts like once a month when his pedals bite his shins, he eats shit leaning too deep into a turn, he whangs himself into something from being unable to stop, any number of things. I've got a single speed freewheel and a front brake, and I haven't ever drawn blood on this thing.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #3508 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:52 »

Both teams have to have 6-6 records and have to have either played in a conference championship in the last five years or played in a BCS bowl during that time.

BTW: The Stagg Bowl is the NCAA Division III Football Championship.

Oh wow, another UWW vs Mount Union championship game, who would have guessed
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3509 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:55 »

Oh wow, another UWW vs Mount Union championship game, who would have guessed

Might be the last one for a while. Our HC, Lance Leipold, is going to take over the D-I University of Buffalo program after the game.

I'm just hoping for a good game (and, of course, a UWW victory, as always).
Just another Joe like 46

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3510 on: 16 Dec 2014, 06:00 »

UWW is one of the few D3 schools that have name recognition though. A lot of athletes choose Mount Union, UWW, Mary-Hardin Baylor, etc over d2 or 1AA teams because they actually provide more exposure to any pro aspirations they might have. I'd say they have a good chance at remaining one of the best programs, they seemed to bounce back pretty quick from that one horrible year (for them). Plus, I have to imagine they'll get a good coach who also wants the name recognition UWW has.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3511 on: 16 Dec 2014, 06:16 »

All this talk about the D3 championship got me wondering what my alma mater's record is this year... 4-6. Not too bad, though they might have done better if they had played the deaf school again this year.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3512 on: 16 Dec 2014, 06:19 »

Played Gallaudet? But Gallaudet was very good last year.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3513 on: 16 Dec 2014, 06:23 »

All I remember is that in '07 or '08 Gaullaudet was the only team they won against, and they won by a single point.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3514 on: 16 Dec 2014, 06:29 »

All I know is they played in the playoffs last year and put up a decent fight. I think they had a TE or DE go pro from that team which helps. A guy who's a D1 athlete but just happens to be deaf just destroying kids.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3515 on: 16 Dec 2014, 09:23 »

I'm developing a sporting program demo sheet for a potential new job this week. Albeit it's all shooting sports, but I'm very excited at the possibility of this job and "hacking" (with an axe) a position into this new company that's me shaped. I have a calendar set up with "events", mostly every other week, and then a big monthly "hardcore" competition, which each of the three proposed leagues having their "big" competition, designed as a large tournament quarterly.

The three proposed league types are:
Lane Three Gun: A modification of normal three gun, which doesn't really work on an indoor range because of the movement and sheer amount of space required, lane three gun will have shooters competing in timed heats using their rifle, shotgun and sidearm in some combination, because of the nature of the beast, more of a focus, and more points will be placed on accuracy than in normal three gun competition which uses steel silhouettes with each hit counting so long as it connects.
Schütze (Rifleman is one of the better translations for this word) Challenge: Based on a popular European marksmanship competition focused around acquiring relatively cheap military surplus bolt action rifles such as the K98 Mauser (and it's many variants), the 1903 Springfield (not so cheap any more sadly), the Mosin Nagant three line rifle (and it's ridiculous number of variants), and an untold number of other options using surplus ammunition, the take I'm building on this would feature multiple position heats, require high degrees of accuracy at various ranges, and for fun might even include laps around the building. Designed to be very open and accommodating to new shooters and younger shooters, who like as not don't have the money for a lot of the expensive toys. No semi-automatic rifles, even the M1 Garand, will be accepted, and speed loading the weapon will be part of the timed competition for heats.
Third Slot - Not quite sure what I want to put here, but I was considering proposing a rotating benchrest rimfire, benchrest centerfire and supported slow fire pistol competition.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #3516 on: 18 Dec 2014, 10:29 »

There is a 6 year span in the middle of the 80s where Wayne Gretzky would have been 5th or better in scoring, including winning a scoring title, if you had stolen a point a game from his totals.

These days, a point a game player is somewhere between good and great.  Gretzky was that much better than the field.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3517 on: 18 Dec 2014, 11:15 »

GM, if you fancy it adding some athleticism, you could always put a summer/winter biathlon event on the programme. Admittedly few people are likely to own a biathlon rifle so you could design a more accessible shooting system.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3518 on: 18 Dec 2014, 11:37 »

There is a 6 year span in the middle of the 80s where Wayne Gretzky would have been 5th or better in scoring, including winning a scoring title, if you had stolen a point a game from his totals.

These days, a point a game player is somewhere between good and great.  Gretzky was that much better than the field.

Even those of us who remember seeing him in his primer can't even fathom how good he was. Trying to explain to anyone who was born after he left to go to LA how much better he was compared to the rest of the NHL is like trying to explain the Grand Canyon to a blind person.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3519 on: 19 Dec 2014, 20:10 »

(Ahem)

Six time champs. Opposing team has only lost six games in last eight years - all of them to us.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3520 on: 25 Dec 2014, 19:50 »

Ten sports facts you probably didn't know:

1. The man who was responsible for the construction of Wrigley Field was the early 20th century version of Ray Kroc.
2. The National Hockey League was formed out of spite - and a legal maneuver.
3. The National Football League was established in the offices of a now-defunct car dealership.
4. The greatest single game accomplishment in National Basketball Association history is shrouded in history - except for the accomplishment itself.
5. One of the most storied hockey arenas in North America was financed by winnings from a horse race.
6. The biggest championship game in American pro sports was named for a children's toy.
7. The location of the first major professional sports Hall of Fame was based upon a complete myth.
8. A US city lost the right to host the Winter Olympics because of a failed referendum.
9. A major league sports stadium was built on the site of a recently-built public housing project.
10. A major league expansion team was forced to move after only one season - due to the bankruptcy of its ownership group.
Just another Joe like 46

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3521 on: 02 Jan 2015, 01:55 »

Time for a diversion down a niche sporting corridor which may interest those who like to see people tackle some of the bigger endeavours.

In 1939, British cyclist Tommy Godwin set the world record for distance cycled during a year. On a heavy steel bicycle, on roads that weren't always sealed, during the outbreak of war in Europe, he rode 75065 miles, an average of cycling 205 miles a day. Since then the record has been considered unbreakable.

Until yesterday that is. At 00.07 GMT on 01/01/15 Steve "Teethgrinder" Abraham set off from his home in Milton Keynes marking the start of his attempt to break the record. But Steve isn't alone in this endeavour. Since announcing his intention to attempt the record, two other riders have announced that they're going to be challenging him for the record. Those riders are William "IronOx" Pruett from Forth Worth, Texas who started almost 19 hours later and Kurt "Tarzan" Searvogel from Sheridan, Arkansas who has stated he intends to start by January 10th to give himself the advantage of seeing Steve's progress. Actual progress is being invigilated and verified by the Ultra Marathon Cyling Association and progress can be seen here: http://trackleaders.com/oneyeartimetrial15

So the battle is on 'Murica vs. Blighty.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3522 on: 02 Jan 2015, 13:58 »

I think the Americans have an advantage in that they won't have to bounce back and forth like a pea in a drum on a little tiny island. :P  Surprisingly, although Britain is at high latitude (London, in southern England is at the same latitude as Labrador), compared to anywhere in the USA except Alaska, year-round daylight hours pretty much balance out.

Seriously though, I had not heard of this record. 205 miles (330km) in a day average? That's serious riding. I have done 400km in a day on a randonnée, but the thought of doing nearly that every day for a year is completely daunting.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3523 on: 02 Jan 2015, 14:23 »

It's perhaps not as tiny as it my seem. The 300k randonnee that I run is a plain loop with no real messing about. Mind you, I'm plotting a 400k coast to coast to coast route, albeit at the narrower bit up north. When I did the Super Brevet Scandinavia I was clocking around 350k a day and not doing too badly with that. Could have done with a bit more sleep but Steve's faster than me and has the luxury of being able to avoid all the hills.

I can see some distinct advantages for the Americans. The abundance of  long, flatter, straightish roads with the prospect of not too much traffic should be fairly inviting. Of course that has the capacity of being boring too. Many a RAAM has died on the prairies. Mind you, there are the character differences to consider as well. Kurt has done RAAM a couple of times and racked up some impressive 12hr TTs. But I question his mindset. He's asked if anyone has a recumbent he can borrow to get under the wind on blowy days. Switching bikes that significantly may not be a good game plan. He's also planning on cramming his distance into 12hr days. If the plan doesn't work well he may struggle to cope. OTOH, Steve's a man of assorted special qualities, not least of which is to endlessly and optimistically keep tapping out the miles. He has no issue with pottering on through the dark hours with what looks to be a fairly impressive lighting rig. He's also not given to dauntment.

Although Steve is planning on emulating Godwin by starting with shorter days, going long in Summer and fading back into winter, he's already clocked up 409 miles in two days. I'm pinning my hopes on Steve, he's a lovely bloke and embodies that British adventurous quality of doing it because it can be done.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3524 on: 03 Jan 2015, 02:33 »

I genuinely don't understand how the Sharks can lose to an average team like Vancouver yet shut the door on the division-leading Ducks.

Also, no idea why Pavelski hasn't got the C pinned to his chest yet, dude is clearly the fucking man

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3525 on: 03 Jan 2015, 07:02 »

The Sharks are the Sharks. Comes with the territory.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3526 on: 04 Jan 2015, 11:33 »

RIP Stuart Scott.

Cool as the other side of the pillow.
Just another Joe like 46

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #3527 on: 05 Jan 2015, 15:50 »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3528 on: 06 Jan 2015, 15:22 »

RIP Stuart Scott.

Cool as the other side of the pillow.

Fact. I'd been wondering why I wasn't seeing as much of him on sportscenter. I knew he had cancer but his on-screen energy never gave me the impression he was terminal. I cried that day, his co-anchors really truly loved him.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3529 on: 06 Jan 2015, 18:24 »

Eisen was choking up on NFL Network. That was a classy moment for a classy guy.

In other words: Buttah.
Just another Joe like 46

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3530 on: 07 Jan 2015, 14:31 »

He was my favorite anchor and that's despite the fact that my family personally knows an anchor on ESPN (Buccigross) and I graduated and played on the same high school baseball team as his son. There are a lot of anchors that have limited personality, but if you knew anyone on ESPN it was Scott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_0ieqSi7Q#t=447

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3531 on: 07 Jan 2015, 16:52 »

I assume, then, that you have some Bucci Overtime Challenge shirts and cawlidge hockey stuff?
Just another Joe like 46

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3532 on: 07 Jan 2015, 16:56 »

I don't! That's bullshit! I'm telling my dad and he's gonna have a word with him!

He did donate to our charity event for the Wounded Warrior Project though, so that's neat.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3533 on: 08 Jan 2015, 21:29 »

27 wins in 40 games.

And what is that I see at the top of the NHL standings?

"Nashville"?

:)
Just another Joe like 46

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3534 on: 09 Jan 2015, 06:14 »

Disgusting. I still think it's hilarious your goal song had to be changed from "Rock And Roll, Pt. 1" because it was written by a... Predator >:D

PS I love the Sharks but JESUS they are shit against the Blues. 7-2 STL twice in a fucking row now. What the actual fuck, Sharks

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3535 on: 09 Jan 2015, 07:40 »

That Tarasenko fellow is kicking everyone's butt this year, so don't feel too bad.
Just another Joe like 46

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #3536 on: 10 Jan 2015, 15:01 »

In that same vein....what the actual fuck, Chicago? Edmonton? Really? Edmonton?!?!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3537 on: 10 Jan 2015, 16:02 »

<Batman_voice>
WHERE IS SHE?

</Batman_voice>
Just another Joe like 46

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3538 on: 12 Jan 2015, 10:51 »

Patriots won. I thought it was neat.

(also go Bruins, even if they've been playing like ass this year).

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3539 on: 12 Jan 2015, 21:18 »

O-H!

Yeah Buckeyes! First playoff-era national champions!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3540 on: 12 Jan 2015, 21:26 »

Yippee.

"Getcha next year, turkey." - Rest of the B1G.
Just another Joe like 46

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3541 on: 14 Jan 2015, 02:40 »

Ugh Ohio State. They upset my Tide. Granted, Saban continued to let Sims play when he's been a disappointment all the while, soooo

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3542 on: 14 Jan 2015, 08:44 »

It was really watching the CFP when you disliked all the teams playing in it. Didn't even watch the title game

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3543 on: 18 Jan 2015, 02:15 »

Yesterday Steve Abraham crossed the 3000 mile mark in his attempt on the record for most miles ridden in a year. He did it by riding 227 miles in temperatures barely getting above freezing. He's back out there again on a 200 mile ride home. Obviously efforts are a very different thing but you probably won't find another sportsperson who is working this hard. Except Kurt Searvogel who's making the same attempt. Mind you, he's tooling around Florida where it's nice and warm.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3544 on: 18 Jan 2015, 13:31 »

I'm thinking of supporting Edmonton as my 2nd favorite hockey team. I already know what it feels like to be wounded by the team I love, and it might make me feel better about my Sharks

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3545 on: 18 Jan 2015, 15:59 »

You have to be a masochist to be an Oilers fan.
Just another Joe like 46

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3546 on: 18 Jan 2015, 20:31 »

You may not be too far from the mark.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #3547 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:52 »

Oilers are SO talented.  They're also a mess.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3548 on: 20 Jan 2015, 13:48 »

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3549 on: 22 Jan 2015, 05:02 »

That was literally the 2010 soccer world cup finals at my place. Spain - NL. We managed to win somehow. Thing is, we had EVERYTHING, including the horrible host with really small TV  :mrgreen:
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 76   Go Up