THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 566995 times)

scarred

• Older than Moses
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #50 on: 22 Sep 2009, 00:40 »

When I was a kid I went by that logic. I still really like the Atlanta Falcons because of it.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #51 on: 22 Sep 2009, 00:46 »

I'm a Tampa Bay fan through and through. We're doing shit and I love it. Because I know in about five years we'll be doing good again. Thats what I love about American Football.

I am also about to start playing left guard for this team. Either that or fullback. They made it into England's top division last year.

Then they got knocked out this year.

ROCK ON.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #52 on: 22 Sep 2009, 00:47 »

Falcons are by definition cool. I mean ... they're Falcons!
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #53 on: 22 Sep 2009, 05:56 »

remember it is traditional to laugh at leeds so fuck leeds

and fernando torres is so dreamy

Everyone watch Arsenal remind West Brom why they're not sharing a league with us with a bunch of French teenagers instead (no disrespect to West Brom though, that Middlesborough result was quite something)

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #54 on: 22 Sep 2009, 06:11 »

Later in the day links to streams of the Leeds Vs. Liverpool match will appear here.

Remember it is traditional for neutrals to cheer for the underdog so I expect everyone to be supporting Leeds tonight!

Not if you gave me a million dollars.

Thanks for Cantona, Smith, Ferdinand, etc., however!
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #55 on: 22 Sep 2009, 06:56 »

Thanks for...Smith!

Really? Alan Smith?

You paid a million pounds for every goal he scored for you.

The man was a hairstyle legend! No one in history has since rocked a fauxhawk held up with ONE'S OWN BLOOD.

« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2009, 06:57 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #56 on: 22 Sep 2009, 07:45 »

Wait?
You're not a Bradford City fan?

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #57 on: 22 Sep 2009, 08:26 »

The Rams are so fucking terrible.

Yeah, and the 'Skins beat them 9-7 at home.  Good God.  I wish my team had an offense.  I really do.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #58 on: 22 Sep 2009, 08:51 »

Wait?
You're not a Bradford City fan?

Oh, no, not really. "Valley Parade" is the name of my noise/drone metal project, taken from my love of soccer and wanting to have a cool sounding name that was steeped in tragedy and death and whatever. Originally, I was going to call it Unit 731, but that seemed too oi! band namey.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #59 on: 22 Sep 2009, 12:49 »

Later in the day links to streams of the Leeds Vs. Liverpool match will appear here.

Remember it is traditional for neutrals to cheer for the underdog so I expect everyone to be supporting Leeds tonight!

Not if you gave me a million dollars.

Thanks for Cantona, Smith, Ferdinand, etc., however!
It is also traditional for United fans to hate Liverpool fans. I think.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #60 on: 22 Sep 2009, 12:50 »

Who is it I support again? Something to do with ports or something... the logo is a sheep with a flag? Shane knows. Anyway, how are they doing?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Rudi Voller

• Plantmonster
« Reply #61 on: 22 Sep 2009, 13:42 »

Who is it I support again? Something to do with ports or something... the logo is a sheep with a flag? Shane knows. Anyway, how are they doing?

A sheep with a flag is the logo of Preston North End. Does that ring a bell? If that is the team in question, they've started the season pretty well, sitting in 4th place in the 2nd tier after 8 games.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #62 on: 22 Sep 2009, 13:47 »

That's the one! Awesome.

(What does that mean?)
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Rudi Voller

• Plantmonster
« Reply #63 on: 22 Sep 2009, 14:18 »

I'm not entirely sure what it is your asking me to explain, but I'll assume it's "sitting in 4th place in the 2nd tier after 8 games". If not, my apologies. What that means is that Preston are in the second strongest league in England, the one immediately below the Premier League. In this league they have played 8 games so far this season, and are doing the 4th best.

In effect, you've ended up supporting (on current form) the 24th best football team in England.

By all accounts pretty unlucky night for Leeds. I couldn't get any of the streams to work, so everything I heard is second hand, but it would seem that Leeds more than held their own against a pretty strong looking Liverpool line-up. Shame they couldn't convert a chance. I had Bradley Johnson down to score as well.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #64 on: 22 Sep 2009, 14:31 »

Disagree strongly.

But then I decide who I support based on whose team colours I like best that week. It's nice watching US football from Europe. No ties, I can just enjoy the games.

Anybody else feel sorry for the cowboys? You built a big, modern, expensive stadium, you throw a party for 100.000 of your closest friends and a bunch of new yorkers led by the ugliest man in football come in and shut the festivities down ...

49ers-Cowboys is a big American football rivalry, so I'm actually reveling in it. Watching Tony Romo go into full-on self-destruct mode is entertaining every time. Also, fuck Jerry Jones and his gaudy piece of shit stadium.

Ryan, I didn't know that you were a Bucs fan. Are you gonna go to the game at Wembley this year? The Patriots aren't looking so hot after going 1-1 and almost losing the first game to the Bills.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #65 on: 22 Sep 2009, 14:37 »

Well it's typically hard for the Patriots to win without their normal dose of cheating
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #66 on: 22 Sep 2009, 14:37 »

Also, the Bills aren't looking as bad as they could be this year.

49ers-Cowboys is a big American football rivalry

As is Cowboys-Skins (bigger, I'd say).  I'm pretty happy, too.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #67 on: 22 Sep 2009, 14:54 »

Also, the Bills aren't looking as bad as they could be this year.

That's definitely true. Too bad Trent Edwards is a Stanford grad, or I'd feel better about him succeeding.

And yeah, Cowboys-Skins and Cowboys-Giants are definitely bigger, because you guys are in the same division and all. The Niners-Cowboys rivalry didn't really start until the late 70s and through the 80s, when they were both constantly in the playoffs and thus matched up a lot. Since the early 90s, one team or the other has usually sucked so it hasn't been as big of a deal.

But basically, I think we can all agree that the Cowboys can go fuck themselves because they're arrogant shitheads. America's Team my ass.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #68 on: 22 Sep 2009, 14:56 »

Yeah.  Do you remember last year when everyone was all OMG COWBOYS!  And they always had that "History of the Dallas Cowboys" DVD adverts?  Then there was the first Redskins/Cowboys game of the season and we won, and after that they were all advertising "History of the Washington Redskins" DVDs.  Then the Redskins promptly started losing because Jim Zorn can't recognize that sometimes he does things wrong, and ESPN had no clue what team to advertise, so they stopped.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #69 on: 22 Sep 2009, 14:59 »

Watching the Cowboys fall apart at the end of last season was one of the purest moments of schadenfreude I've ever had in watching sports. If I had access to a television last Saturday when Washington beat USC, that may have been up there.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #70 on: 22 Sep 2009, 15:13 »

Ryan, I didn't know that you were a Bucs fan. Are you gonna go to the game at Wembley this year? The Patriots aren't looking so hot after going 1-1 and almost losing the first game to the Bills.

I will be at the Wembley game, along with my dad (a poor Rams fan). I've been at the last two games so far, and even participated in the London Victoria flash mob we held last year. You can just make me out at about the 45 second mark, halway up the video on the very left edge. I'm in a big black coat. That was a fun day.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #71 on: 22 Sep 2009, 15:25 »

Any time the Bills do OK I feel pretty good about it. They opened the '90s by rolling off 4 consecutive Super Bowl losses. Considering that, Bills fans handle themselves with a fair bit of dignity. Well, either that, or a large portion of the fanbase is still catatonic. In either case, I still like them better than Dallas fans.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2009, 15:26 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #72 on: 22 Sep 2009, 16:17 »

Well, the good thing about the Bills sucking is that everybody who is a Bills fan is a Buffalo Bills fan.  The Cowboys have attracted a lot of fans who aren't Dallas fans, if that makes any sense.

p.s.  Living in Western New York, I get a lot of info on the Bills.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #73 on: 22 Sep 2009, 21:56 »

Watching the Cowboys fall apart at the end of last season was one of the purest moments of schadenfreude I've ever had in watching sports. If I had access to a television last Saturday when Washington beat USC, that may have been up there.

If I understand correctly they fall apart at the end of every season. Is Romo unable to win play-off games?
My Art.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 23 Sep 2009, 16:12 »

If I understand correctly they fall apart at the end of every season. Is Romo unable to win play-off games?

So far, yes. Last year was especially sweet because they were 8-4 before losing 3 of their final 4 games to miss the playoffs entirely, including a last-week blowout where Romo completely melted down.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #75 on: 24 Sep 2009, 07:16 »

Preston, but I thought you'd switched to Atletico Madrid, May? They have a bear climbing an apple tree as a club crest.

Rudi Voller

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 26 Sep 2009, 13:43 »

More importantly you beat the Franchise at their place with a last minute goal. I have no real investment in League One at all this year, but that made me smile.

Looking good for Leeds this year though. You don't seem quite as reliant on Beckford this year, which can only be a good thing. Will you manage to hold onto him after January though? Can't really see you struggling if you keep the squad you've got, but I seem to say that every year about Leeds.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #77 on: 26 Sep 2009, 14:24 »

I have no idea what's going to happen against San Fran this week. None at all. The Vikings have played shoddy teams and yet they still let Brett Favre get knocked around. I hate Brad Childress. Adrian Peterson is nicked up. I don't think the Vikings are as good as people seem to think they are. Giving up 100 rushing yards to the Lions the week before hosting Frank Gore doesn't inspire confidence. EJ Henderson is a fast mlb, but he's also a knucklehead.

On the flip side, Frank Gore is nicked up. The Niners have only played NFC West games so far. But overall, I still think they're better than people give them credit for and they have some legit football players on defense.

Honestly, it's like a mirror match. I wouldn't be surprised if either QB shat the bed. Shaun Hill has hardly ever faced a decent defense, so it's hard to tell how good he is. On the other hand, he actually knows the Vikings D pretty well since he was one of our backups. Brett Favre is really fuckin' old and likes to throw interceptions. It'll probably just come down to whether Frank Gore or Adrian Peterson is feeling healthier.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2009, 14:34 by Alex C »

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #78 on: 26 Sep 2009, 14:32 »

Also, more than most people in the NFL, Favre can run completely hot or completely cold (Romo's another one, but recently he's been cold a lot).  I still can't believe I'm scared about the Lions.  I think our defense will hold pretty well, but we just don't have an offense.  We've got all the pieces, but we can't put them together correctly.

p.s.  Farvre's daughter goes to my old college.  One of my buddies got fired from his job a couple of years ago due to a bet involving her.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #79 on: 26 Sep 2009, 14:47 »

Hell, Adrian Peterson is like that too. Sometimes he's pretty ordinary and other times he outright breaks teams. San Francisco took him out of the game completely last time they played though.

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #80 on: 26 Sep 2009, 16:17 »

Given all the football banter going on, I think I'll chip in.

Celtic - Top of the league, 4 points clear. Rangers are shite.  :-D

And before anyone rips on the quality of Scottish football, I am fully aware that it is complete garbage.  :roll:

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #81 on: 26 Sep 2009, 22:42 »

I have no idea what's going to happen against San Fran this week. None at all. The Vikings have played shoddy teams and yet they still let Brett Favre get knocked around. I hate Brad Childress. Adrian Peterson is nicked up. I don't think the Vikings are as good as people seem to think they are. Giving up 100 rushing yards to the Lions the week before hosting Frank Gore doesn't inspire confidence. EJ Henderson is a fast mlb, but he's also a knucklehead.

On the flip side, Frank Gore is nicked up. The Niners have only played NFC West games so far. But overall, I still think they're better than people give them credit for and they have some legit football players on defense.

Honestly, it's like a mirror match. I wouldn't be surprised if either QB shat the bed. Shaun Hill has hardly ever faced a decent defense, so it's hard to tell how good he is. On the other hand, he actually knows the Vikings D pretty well since he was one of our backups. Brett Favre is really fuckin' old and likes to throw interceptions. It'll probably just come down to whether Frank Gore or Adrian Peterson is feeling healthier.

Yeah, both teams are running-heavy with good defenses, and they're both kind of unknown quantities at this point since the Vikings have won games against two of the worst teams in the NFL and the Niners have only played division opponents and it looks like the Cardinals have seriously fallen off from last year. I'm hoping that the Niners can put pressure on Favre like we did with Warner in Week 1. If that happens and we can contain Peterson like we did last time, then I think it won't matter how badly our offense sucks, although I think in general Shaun Hill is better than people give him credit for. Basically, if the Niners can win in Minnesota I think people will finally start taking us seriously, but I'm not really expecting it. I hope they keep it close, at least. It's refreshing to see the team actually look energized again now that Singletary's taken over.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #82 on: 27 Sep 2009, 00:03 »

Yeah, I actually like Shaun Hill a fair bit. He's stupidly accurate, particularly on routine plays. I don't mean that as any sort of backhanded compliment either, since Daunte Culpepper used to blow routine plays all the time, which is why us Vikings fans were so quick to turn on him once he got injured and couldn't make up for it with big plays anymore. Culpepper had a unique talent for underthrowing players via putting too much onto the ball, which is frankly amazing when you think about it. He'd literally wing the ball straight into the ground at a bazillion miles per hour sometimes. Not really a concern with Shaun.

But to put things in perspective, Hill's got an 87 or so QB rating going on his career right now. That's really good. Better than McNabb, Garcia, Favre, Marino or Hasselbeck good. If he maintained it for the rest of his career it'd put him just outside of the all-time top 10 passer rating list. A bit of skepticism comes naturally when you pair that kind of results with that kind of sample size, particularly since the NFC West isn't exactly a murderer's row of passing defenses. I know he's competent and I'd take him over the majority of starters in the league in a heartbeat. But right now he worries me a bit rather than scares me.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 00:06 by Alex C »

the_pied_piper

« Reply #83 on: 27 Sep 2009, 07:43 »

It's not as bad as people make out. I think most of those accusations are just snobbery. I live in Scotland now and I've seen my fair share of great games up here.

I agree with this sentiment but i find it depends a lot on the division in English football that your team is in (this probably sounds a bit snobby as well but there is reason behind it). The top division in English football is the best as there is the most money there and the best players from around the world are attracted to its clubs, whether they are big or small whereas the lower divisions cannot afford to pay these wages and, as such, the quality suffers a bit. That is not to say that the excitement in these games is higher or lower but simply that better players have more ability and therefore play better football.

However, the Scottish top division contains clubs that would be likely to span the top 3 divisions of English football and this is what makes the quality of the games suffer. Celtic and Rangers have the potential to be as good as some of the English top division teams (although this is debatable) but the smaller teams like Kilmarnock and St. Mirren would likely find it a struggle to play in the 2nd tier of English football, maybe even the third. It is a shame that this is the case as Scottish football fans are very passionate about their teams and with Scottish teams having done well in European competition in the past it is difficult to let go of past glories.

Now, to put this in perspective, i am a lifelong Liverpool FC fan, a team that is one of the top 2 most successful teams in English football and one of the most successful in European competition also, so the way i look at lower league football is with the eyes of someone who is fortunate enough to watch a team that contains some of the world's best players week in, week out therefore the quality is always a bit lacking.

To move onto something a little different, this weekend's game against Hull (a 6-1 victory) showed the class of our best striker, a certain Fernando Torres with another hat-trick (first this season) to take him to 5 goals for the season in 7 games. Hat-trick goals here.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #84 on: 27 Sep 2009, 08:34 »

It's not as bad as people make out. I think most of those accusations are just snobbery. I live in Scotland now and I've seen my fair share of great games up here.

I hope Celtic win the league this year, they were unlucky to fall at the final hurdle last year.
Celtic weren't that unlucky - we fucked it up big-style in the second half of the season.

Anyway, exiting self-flagellatory mode now.

Even though I prefer United to Liverpool, I have to admit that Torres is arguably the best striker in Europe. If the Scouse could get another world-class striker alongside him as well as some stronger back-ups to the players they already have (Kyrgiakos  :laugh:) then they could go that extra inch where they faltered last season.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #85 on: 27 Sep 2009, 10:27 »

Not exactly a good first quarter for the 49ers. A pair of 30 yard plays for AD and Favre, Frank Gore has limped off the field and the special teams guys have picked up a case of the jitters. It'd be nice if this could turn into a full-fledged ass kicking, but it's early.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #86 on: 27 Sep 2009, 11:40 »

I still don't understand how the Vikings special teams manage to make at least two bad plays per game. Particularly on returns.

Reed

« Reply #87 on: 27 Sep 2009, 11:51 »

Worst thing about living on the East Coast: having to follow Niners games over ESPN fucking Gamecast because it's not on TV over here.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #88 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:20 »

Man. Holy shit.

I liked Vernon Davis better when he was still a bit of a head case.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #89 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:41 »

Worst thing about living on the East Coast: having to follow Niners games over ESPN fucking Gamecast because it's not on TV over here.

Sports bars.  Also, no mention will be made of the Redskins/Lions game.  :cry:

I am slightly devastated.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #90 on: 27 Sep 2009, 13:44 »

C'mon it had to happen sometime
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #91 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:00 »

Yeah, but we're supposed to have a good team.  Hell, we're in the NFC East, and that means something for three teams.  I will put it all down to the Lions' first possession, too.  Our defense had every opportunity to step up and make those plays, and we never did.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #92 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:07 »

I'm kinda annoyed by it too; as per my "Always bet against the Rams and Lions" strategy, I had the Skins defense on my fantasy team this weak. Honestly guys, you face a human interception machine like Stafford and you can't force a single turnover? Really? If I wasn't absolutely destroying my opponents so far I'd be angry.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #93 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:09 »

The worst part is, there were times when our offense managed to step up.  Our defense never seemed to manage this feat.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #94 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:15 »

I'm not sure I would call 14 points stepping up

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #95 on: 27 Sep 2009, 14:17 »

I'm not saying for the entire second half, just for parts.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #96 on: 27 Sep 2009, 15:51 »

Man. Holy shit.

I liked Vernon Davis better when he was still a bit of a head case.

It's about time he started pulling his weight. It looks like Singletary was finally able to smack some sense into him so he could show why we drafted him.

I could say something bitter here, but honestly this was more or less the result I expected. I didn't expect to be leading with half a minute left in the game, though. Hopefully nearly pulling off the upset will get us some respect, at least.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #97 on: 27 Sep 2009, 16:10 »

Hey well now I feel better about losing to the Bengals last week

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #98 on: 27 Sep 2009, 16:12 »

It was a weird game, with both teams dodging some bullets. Things like the kick off return td and blocked field goals are hard to account for. Had the Vikings converted that 2nd quarter field goal the whole complexion of the game would have been different, since that was effectively a 10 point swing, but then again, that sort of thing does happen when you've got a rookie performing the crucial blocking assignment on the play, so it's hard to call it a complete fluke. I don't really feel like I learned anything about either team, to be honest, but that's easy for me to say since I already figured the 49ers were good enough to threaten the Vikings at home and I don't really believe in our special teams or coaching staff.

One thing that I thought was a bit annoying was how the announcers did their usual "Let's talk up the quarterback!" routine (in this case, Shaun Hill) when really it was Vernon Davis making a few circus catches that bailed out the offense. It's not every day you see a 250 pound man run straight down the field that fast, leap that high and then maintain possession despite defenders getting their helmets on the ball as he's coming down. The same thing happened to a lesser extent with Brett Favre and the game ending touchdown; the announcers just gushed about the throw but the catch was at least as impressive. I dunno, maybe I just notice these things because I'm a Minnesota fan, which essentially means I've been watching Cris Carter and Randy Moss bail out a new quarterback every year since I was 8 years old.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 16:26 by Alex C »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #99 on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:32 »

I didn't see the lion's game (it wasn't broadcasted here) but I honestly believed that the Redskins were a better team than this. Colour me surprised ...
My Art.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 76   Go Up