THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 566951 times)

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #150 on: 04 Oct 2009, 21:22 »

I think we should discuss the San Diego Pittsburg game. That must have been one of the most ridiculous 4th quarters so far this season.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #151 on: 05 Oct 2009, 00:07 »

The lack of any sort of defensive production on either team's behalf was just upsetting to witness.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #152 on: 05 Oct 2009, 11:30 »

I picked up the 49ers defense this week on my fantasy team; frankly, I had no idea why they were still available, but I wasn't going to question it. After all, the 49ers stuff the run and running is the only area that the Rams are even remotely competent. But as optimistic as I was about their prospects against the Rams, I still wasn't prepared for that level of epic beat down. Someone needs to figure out a way to get Steven Jackson off that team; he deserves better.

A shutout, an INT return, and a fumble return? In my old league, that would have been good for at least 40 points.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #153 on: 05 Oct 2009, 13:11 »

Yeah, my friends and I are using the ESPN site and their standard scoring method so unfortunately it was "only" 31. Either way, it's saved my ass this week because I've had a few other players slump.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #154 on: 05 Oct 2009, 22:24 »

The fact that the Vikings allowed the Packers to get up to 23, even though their lead seemed insurmountable, is depressing. That shit will not fly in the playoffs, guys.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #155 on: 06 Oct 2009, 01:27 »

I didn't get to see that game due to sleep ... were the Packers and the Vikings nice to eachother or was it a bit ... rough for Favre?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #156 on: 06 Oct 2009, 01:46 »

Aaron Rodgers got sacked 7 times. Favre was untouched the entire game - at one point he had 7.34 full seconds in the pocket before he threw. No pressure at all.

The Pack stuffed Adrian Peterson though, he averaged less than 3 yards per carry. They just couldn't get the reins on their ex, mainly because he was never, ever under pressure, whereas Rodgers was constantly scrambling out of the pocket.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #157 on: 06 Oct 2009, 02:42 »

Thanks ...

I feel like I missed a classic. Accursèd time-zones.
My Art.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #158 on: 06 Oct 2009, 02:44 »

The first half was pretty entertaining but the second half was a series of 3-and-outs until the final four minutes, where the Vikes defense gave up 10 points (almost 17).

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #159 on: 06 Oct 2009, 02:46 »

I guess what I am trying to say is don't feel too bad about it, also Favre still has to go to Lambeau later this season, when he's not still fresh from the offseason, so he still has a chance to fark it all up. Minus their pass rush the Packers looked like a much more solid team.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #160 on: 06 Oct 2009, 02:51 »

That actually makes me feel better, thanks!
My Art.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #161 on: 06 Oct 2009, 06:48 »

Minus their pass rush the Packers looked like a much more solid team.

bwaahahahahahasha

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #162 on: 06 Oct 2009, 06:55 »

Okay, look, you can't just say "Minus the pass rush". This is like saying "Except for the Eastern Front, Germany could have won WW2," or "The Hindenburg had a pretty good safety record except for the time it burst into flames." It's technically true, but ultimately you're just whistling pass the graveyard. The Packers have turnstiles for an offensive line right now and the defensive line is the Viking's one indisputable strength. Oh, the Packers have talent, don't get me wrong; it's just not on the offensive line. I love Aaron Rodgers as a football player, but he had to pull miracles out of his ass all night just to keep them in the game. I have him and Greg Jennings on my fantasy team for a reason; I figured if the offensive line held up they would tear the league up. That's because they looked solid last year too... right up until they gave up a sack or forced Grant to break tackles in his own backfield. That's why they went 6-10 instead of the other way around.

The Packers are already done if Clifton can't bounce back after the bye week. Lord knows they'll still probably manage to split the series, because that's just how the division works, but you're out of your mind if you think they looked like a more solid team sans an offensive line. That they managed to crawl back into it a bit after the Vikings prematurely went into garbage time mode says more about the Minnesota's lack of discipline than anything (I still hold that the Vikings are overrated; they can't defend tight ends/WRs that split their safeties, Favre's stamina is a question and Childress is still Childress). But that said, the Packers are the team with bigger problems. Teams with bad offensive lines don't make playoff runs. It just doesn't happen.

Also, I thought it was kind of funny how Gruden did everything but fellate Favre on national television. It must have really annoying for the Favre haters.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2009, 10:28 by Alex C »

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #163 on: 06 Oct 2009, 09:11 »

The Packers are already done if Clifton can't bounce back after the bye week.

Well I wouldn't exactly say that.  I give the Packers an excellent chance to beat both detroit and cleveland without Mr Clifton
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #164 on: 06 Oct 2009, 10:27 »

Well I wouldn't exactly say that.  I give the Packers an excellent chance to beat both detroit and cleveland without Mr Clifton

Where I come from that's called damning with faint praise.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #165 on: 06 Oct 2009, 10:30 »

Hey man!  The Lions are decent!

No they're not.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #166 on: 06 Oct 2009, 10:40 »

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a blatant Vikings homer here; there's a really good chance that Clifton comes back no problem, and Rodgers is so good I'm sure he can compete even with C- offensive line. Unfortunately, a C- minus is probably their ceiling. That the Vikings give up big plays in the slot and seams is problematic, but as Achilles' Heels go I'll take that over a perilously thin line any day.

Reed

« Reply #167 on: 06 Oct 2009, 18:40 »

Holy fuck, Alex, will your team just choose whether they want to win or lose already? This is getting ridiculous.

Edit: About fucking time!
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2009, 18:45 by Reed »
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #168 on: 06 Oct 2009, 18:50 »

It's a good week for Minny.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #169 on: 06 Oct 2009, 19:39 »

I'd still rather hedge my bets with a team that can win playoff games

ouch

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #170 on: 06 Oct 2009, 19:46 »

That doesn't really make sense.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #171 on: 06 Oct 2009, 22:27 »

On the one hand, my Niners are 3-1. On the other, all three of those wins have come against division opponents and the NFC West is pretty awful. On the other other hand, the one game they did lose they lost at the last second to an unbeaten team on the road. I really don't know how to figure the Niners yet except that we'll probably get to the playoffs just because the rest of the division is so awful. Playing Atlanta next week at home will be an interesting game. I'll be curious to see how the oddsmakers peg that game.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Reed

« Reply #172 on: 06 Oct 2009, 23:00 »

Yeah, I know what you mean. A friend posted this article on facebook the other day, and I thought it was pretty interesting.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #173 on: 07 Oct 2009, 08:12 »

Yeah, the 49ers have about as favorable a schedule as you can ask for.

In regards to the offensive line play, one thing that probably isn't helping is the stodgy and rather traditional run 'n' pass rhythm the play caller gets into. Dedication to the run is admirable, but when even the Rams seem to know when to stay in the gaps and when to just run wild, I'd say there's a problem. Are you guys sure that your coordinator has heard of screen passes, draws, or delayed handoffs?

That said, it was a fuckin' blow out; of course they're going to run. But I think this sorta thing was sort of an issue in the Vikings game too, and you guys only lost that by a hair.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #174 on: 07 Oct 2009, 08:15 »

Redskins hired an "offensive consultant."  Maybe someone telling Jim Zorn that he's being a fucking moron will snap him out of his "I don't have to worry about my job" delusions.  Now if they would just hire a quarterback consultant and an owner's consultant we might have a good team...
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #175 on: 08 Oct 2009, 19:32 »

I recently just found out Jared Allen has a Facebook fan page that appears to actually be him? The first post is "Jared Allen=God".
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #176 on: 08 Oct 2009, 19:41 »

There needs to be more Thursday night football, I'm suffering from withdrawal already.

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: WE DON'T LIKE C.B. BUCKNOR
« Reply #177 on: 09 Oct 2009, 06:36 »

I think the title says it all. *grumble*
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #178 on: 09 Oct 2009, 09:34 »

Lost in the kerfuffle over how terrible Bucknor is at his job is how absolutely revolting of a job Joe West did.

I can deal with a wide strike zone, I can deal with a tight one, but no two ways about it: West was wildly inconsistent all night and while I generally don't like to blame an ump, West and Bucknor combined to cost the Sox even a shot at that game. Lackey was getting both the low pitch and the outside pitch, both of which Lester was squeezed on. The pitch tracker on TBS made it even more egregious. There was one at bat in particular where Ortiz went to a full count on five pitches, all out of the strike zone, none of which he offered at. While yes, his terrible work went against the Angels a handful of times (There were a few pitches the Sox took that I'd say were strikes and that interference call was absolutely bogus), the majority of his calls tended to involve squeezing Lester while giving Lackey a strike zone bigger than my big, fat Irish head.

Never, in all my years of watching baseball, have I seen a game with more egregiously bad calls, most of which were in one team's favor.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #179 on: 09 Oct 2009, 15:05 »

Yeah, there was some NBA level bullshit going on there. I was honest to god confused by the interference call; I was on the treadmill with my headphones on and chugging some water at the time it happened, so between commercials and no commentary explaining the stupidity going on I felt rather out of the loop.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2009, 15:15 by Alex C »

the_pied_piper

« Reply #180 on: 11 Oct 2009, 12:25 »

if there's one thing this thread is lacking it is classic Sports stories. So, to start:

How to turn a brand-new NHL franchise into 3-time Stanley Cup champs in less than 10 years
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #181 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:01 »

Goddamnit Jim Zorn.  If you don't need to go for it on fourth down, DON'T GO FOR IT ON FOURTH DOWN!  It's calls like that which cost us the damned game.  And that ridiculousness with a punt, but that's just crazy.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #182 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:16 »

I honestly think going for it on fourth down is a good decision more often than not, but I haven't seen that game and Jim Zorn is an idiot, so I'm torn about what I should think of that post.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #183 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:23 »

I think he goes for it on fourth more often than not, and it's not even fourth and one, or even two!  It's like fourth and four or five.  We're ahead in the fourth quarter.  We need to just pin them deep.  The kicker is, there are times when going for it on fourth is definitely the right decision, and it's during these times that he doesn't actually go for it.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #184 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:37 »

Jim Zorn isn't gonna see another W on his record this season.

That said, did anyone see the Dallas-KC game? It went into overtime. The Cowboys are effed in the butt.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #185 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:39 »

The only thing that made me sad about that game is that they ended up winning.  I wouldn't actually be surprised if Zorn isn't around next week.  At least as head coach.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #186 on: 11 Oct 2009, 14:40 »

WAS could use some offensive coordination

hint hint

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #187 on: 11 Oct 2009, 15:35 »

God dammit 49ers, my opponent has Roddy White on his fantasy team this week. I could have stolen the win despite having 4 starters on byes, but now I'm behind by 5 points because of this shit.

You're dead to me.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #188 on: 11 Oct 2009, 16:41 »

Taunting? Taunting?! Kiss my dick you fucking twat. What the fuck.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #189 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:05 »

Looks like the Packers went ahead and resigned Tauscher. Things could get interesting if he can still play, since their schedule isn't too scary. That's still a perilously thin line though.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #190 on: 12 Oct 2009, 14:27 »

Taunting? Taunting?! Kiss my dick you fucking twat. What the fuck.

This.

The taunting, such as it was, happened after the flag was thrown. You have to respect a rev who can see into the future and/or into a player's mind.
My Art.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #191 on: 12 Oct 2009, 14:50 »

It was disgusting. The theory my dad and I are running on is that the ref wanted to call pass interference, realized he there was none and then decided to call taunting rather than make himself look stupid. That play could very well have been the difference in the game. What should've been third and two (I think) ended up as first and goal. Not to mention the blown call on what should've been a fumble at the very beginning of the drive.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #192 on: 15 Oct 2009, 14:01 »

Tough string of games coming up, and I have faith in Childress blowing at least one of them.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #193 on: 15 Oct 2009, 14:11 »

He's saving that for the playoffs.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #194 on: 15 Oct 2009, 20:06 »

Nah, I have us penciled in for a blown special teams play followed by the team just completely rolling over, like in the 2000 NFC Championship game, thus never giving Childress a real chance to do something stupid in the first place. Losing the big game due to coaching mishaps isn't really that common in Vikings history, after all. Besides, what you're saying implies that he could go that long without driving me insane.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2009, 20:07 by Alex C »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #195 on: 16 Oct 2009, 12:29 »

Sad realization: the Jaguars lost 41-0 last week but if someone put a gun to my head they'd still be my pick in the upcoming Jags-Rams game.

scarred

• Older than Moses

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #197 on: 17 Oct 2009, 08:33 »

Heading into week 3 of my "the Broncos have a nasty stretch in their schedule" theory. They won the last two games by a combined 10 points and needed an OT to do it, and I'd hold that the next 3 games might be trickier. The Chargers, Steelers and Ravens all have talent on their rosters, they all need wins (especially the Chargers), and they're all going to be fresh from coming off their bye weeks when Denver comes calling. Granted, the Steelers are out of sorts and Norv is capable of scuttling his team at any time, but both of them have defenses that play rather hard and Kyle Orton's 97 passer rating is due for a fall.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #198 on: 17 Oct 2009, 08:40 »

I actually liked those throwbacks the Broncos wore last week. Even with Jabar Gaffney fucking up the socks.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #199 on: 17 Oct 2009, 09:02 »

They won the last two games by a combined 10 points and needed an OT and a bullshit taunting call to do it
JON MADE ME GAY
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 76   Go Up