THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 566929 times)

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #200 on: 17 Oct 2009, 10:51 »

What he said!

My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #201 on: 18 Oct 2009, 07:13 »

Hey Rob, I know you're feeling down about Liverpool losing yesterday, so I bought you a gift.

Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #202 on: 18 Oct 2009, 08:04 »

Every year for the past few years, Ciddy were considered a huge threat to United, and they've done fuck all.

It's a lot like how everyone heaps praise on the Toronto Blue Jays during spring training, forgetting that they play in a division with the Red Sox and Yankees.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #203 on: 18 Oct 2009, 08:51 »

I agree, the goal should stand, it is not the first time something like this has happened and it would be highly hypocritical of anybody to say that this one shouldn't stand when others did. The whole truth of the matter is that we simply weren't good enough; a team missing Torres and Gerrard this season is going to be much more devastated than ever before with the loss of Alonso to run the game in their absence.

One thing i will never understand though is the need to take crappy little objects like that to games. Whether they are on the pitch or being smacked around in the crowd they are a nuisance to everyone; almost as bad as those huge flags that cover everyone so that you can no longer see the game. Sadly, there are people who derive pleasure from this kind of thing as if being at a game watching your favourite team is not entertaining enough and so incidents like this happen.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

the_pied_piper

« Reply #204 on: 18 Oct 2009, 12:33 »

Everything is better in sparkly text.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #205 on: 18 Oct 2009, 12:55 »

Actually, I would have thought the goal shouldn't stand. According to page 60 of this, when an extra ball interferes with play inside the goal area, there should be a drop ball on the edge of the goal area. While it doesn't specify what happens if other things interfere with play, the rules on players and balls interfering with play seem to imply that the game should be stopped and restarted with a drop ball.

Of course, I'm not a ref, so there might be some interpretation that means that the goal should have stood.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

the_pied_piper

« Reply #206 on: 18 Oct 2009, 13:17 »

Yeah, i heard they were talking about that but a beach ball is hardly part of the game as a football would be and it was thrown on by a Liverpool fan so i can't blame them for allowing the goal to stand.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #207 on: 18 Oct 2009, 13:20 »

It's better to be lucky than to be good.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #208 on: 18 Oct 2009, 15:42 »

So, who was pissed when the Patriots game got yanked off the air for being too awesome?
My Art.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #209 on: 18 Oct 2009, 15:50 »

I think you have it backwards. They yanked the Titans game for being too depressing.

Seriously, though, we've still got the game up here in Boston. This is just the single most pathetic display of football I have EVER seen. Brady had more touchdown passes in a single quarter than Kerry Collins had completions in the entire game.

As I say this, Vince Young gets picked. Wow. I mean, yeah, Brady looked absolutely phenomenal on his own, but the Titans are just fucking awful.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #210 on: 18 Oct 2009, 16:10 »

JENSON BUTTON - FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPION 2009

I am so sad that I missed what was apparently an awesome race.

So, Jason Campbell got benched, and Todd Collins doesn't really know what he's doing in the west coast system (people seem to forget that when he came in and rocked it, it was under a system similar to what he did in Michigan).  Why don't we have three quarterbacks again?  Oh, right, because we needed four fucking running backs.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #211 on: 18 Oct 2009, 17:00 »

GO BEARS

and, Vikings: way to go! You barely beat one of the most underachieving teams in the league!
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #212 on: 18 Oct 2009, 17:09 »

I think you have it backwards. They yanked the Titans game for being too depressing.

Seriously, though, we've still got the game up here in Boston. This is just the single most pathetic display of football I have EVER seen. Brady had more touchdown passes in a single quarter than Kerry Collins had completions in the entire game.

As I say this, Vince Young gets picked. Wow. I mean, yeah, Brady looked absolutely phenomenal on his own, but the Titans are just fucking awful.

Yeah, it's hard to get too excited about picking on the Titans right now. I didn't expect them to repeat that record again this year or anything, since they lost Haynesworth and their defensive line is getting older and all that jazz, but who in the hell could of seen this season coming? They made the playoffs last season and a bunch of their star defensive players are in the final year of their contracts! You'd think they'd be at least be playing hard and aiming for the next payday. Instead they're rolling over every game, even against the Patriots, a team that's quite happy to score on you every possession if you let them. I've never seen anything like this before; I'm honestly curious how many players on the team really give a crap.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #213 on: 18 Oct 2009, 17:16 »

You barely beat one of the most underachieving teams in the league!

Might want to check your glass house for damage; last I checked you needed two missed field goals to get away from a Polamalu-less Steelers team.

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #214 on: 18 Oct 2009, 17:21 »

So, who was pissed when the Patriots game got yanked off the air for being too awesome?
At least you guys got to see it in the first place - we in the UK got Arizona-Seattle.

On the plus side, I'll definitely be able to see the NE-Tampa game next week.  :-D

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #215 on: 18 Oct 2009, 17:26 »

You going?
My Art.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #216 on: 18 Oct 2009, 18:57 »

Instead they're rolling over every game, even against the Patriots, a team that's quite happy to score on you every possession if you let them. I've never seen anything like this before; I'm honestly curious how many players on the team really give a crap.

I don't know who to give more credit to. While yes, the Titans were terrible, Brady actually looked really fantastic on his own. His passes were spot on, he was moving around well without really excessive time and he just looked absolutely locked in. On the other hand, one cannot express enough how absolutely fucking TERRIBLE the Titans looked. I mean, yeah, Brady got the ball in the air quickly, but I'm reasonably sure he probably could've stood there for about three minutes and then connect with Vince Wilfork for a TD, the Titans looked so bad. The Pats defense has, in my opinion, been steadily improving (Barring last week's second half, they looked pretty awful), but they didn't even have to work, the Titans offense was just utterly incompetent.
JON MADE ME GAY

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #217 on: 18 Oct 2009, 19:02 »

At least you guys got to see it in the first place - we in the UK got Arizona-Seattle.

On the plus side, I'll definitely be able to see the NE-Tampa game next week.  :-D

I have to go to a bar to see pretty much every game, because nobody here gives a shit about the Redskins (seriously, I am one of only three people in the bar who watch the Redskins games, and this is the bar where I've found the largest group of Redskins fans).  Though, we do play two Monday nights and one Sunday night (though, I expect that one to get flexed).

BIG NEWS GUYS!  Jim Zorn will not be the play caller any more!  They're going to announce who is going to call the plays tomorrow.  I'm really hoping that this will do something to make our team suck less.  Maybe Campbell will step up after being benched and we'll actually have a quarterback.  I'm hoping Chris Samuels is back next week, because our offensive line neeeeeeeeds him so badly.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #218 on: 18 Oct 2009, 19:36 »

I don't know who to give more credit to. While yes, the Titans were terrible, Brady actually looked really fantastic on his own. His passes were spot on, he was moving around well without really excessive time and he just looked absolutely locked in. On the other hand, one cannot express enough how absolutely fucking TERRIBLE the Titans looked. I mean, yeah, Brady got the ball in the air quickly, but I'm reasonably sure he probably could've stood there for about three minutes and then connect with Vince Wilfork for a TD, the Titans looked so bad. The Pats defense has, in my opinion, been steadily improving (Barring last week's second half, they looked pretty awful), but they didn't even have to work, the Titans offense was just utterly incompetent.

Yeah, I didn't mean my comment to be denigrating of the Patriots in any way and I'm on the record as thinking of them as a dangerous team even if they're not as loaded defensively as they once were. It's just that I think a team would want to show up for a game like this and I'm not really sure the Titans did. After all, the Patriots have a bit of a rep for running up the score against inferior teams, (I actually admire this a bit; it beats the shit out of the Viking's "Hey, we're up by 10; Where's my iphone? I need to Twitter," routine) and most NFL players want to avoid that kind of treatment just as a matter of pride if nothing else. The Titans do have some talent on the roster, after all, and even the Lions at least try hard and often make a couple plays even if they lack the talent to play a full game without making some crippling mistakes. But the Titans just got plain annihilated this week; I think they gave up the season after losing their first 3 games.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2009, 19:54 by Alex C »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #219 on: 18 Oct 2009, 20:12 »

My theory is that spending the week with people calling this a trap game resulted in the Titans getting a case of "oh yeah? we'll show you!"
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #220 on: 18 Oct 2009, 20:16 »

It's almost like they want Kerry Collins to start drinking again.

Actually, if he already has it sure would explain a lot.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2009, 20:19 by Alex C »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #221 on: 18 Oct 2009, 21:35 »

I still think for my money that the Saints are the best team in the NFL right now. Drew Brees is a fucking machine.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #222 on: 18 Oct 2009, 21:47 »

A note to everybody.  Purdue fans have a lot to be happy about.  Drew Brees destroying the Giants' defense and Purdue beating OSU (which is awesome, by the way).  One of my friends is a Purdue alumna.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #223 on: 18 Oct 2009, 21:58 »

You and everyone else watching the NFL this season, Bryan.
JON MADE ME GAY

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #224 on: 18 Oct 2009, 22:36 »

Might want to check your glass house for damage; last I checked you needed two missed field goals to get away from a Polamalu-less Steelers team.

Yeah, I wasn't happy about that, but hey - a win's a win, and if it helped get them back on tra--

OH WAIT. I JUST WATCHED THE BEARS-FALCONS GAME.

Not as sloppy as our season opener against GB, but jesus fucking christ

/wrists

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #225 on: 18 Oct 2009, 23:10 »

I think the Vikings will take the division but honestly I don't trust any of the NFC North teams to do much in the playoffs. The Vikings can't seem to be bothered to stay focused for a whole game, the Bears can't catch a break and the Packers have line issues casting a shadow over everything they do. Green Bay does have a Charmin soft schedule going for them, but even if they do make it to the playoffs, I kind of envision their run ending with a NY Giants defensive lineman ripping Aaron Rodgers' heart out Temple of Doom style.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #226 on: 18 Oct 2009, 23:11 »

That mental image is the most insanely epic thing ever.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #227 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:08 »

Aaron Rodgers is a Cal graduate, I'd really like him to keep his heart. He's the first guy who proved that the "Jeff Tedford quarterbacks can't succeed in the NFL" claim was bullshit.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #228 on: 19 Oct 2009, 07:11 »

You going?
Unfortunately not. Was skint when tickets went on sale (on top of which they were a bloody rip-off).   :cry:

However, it's one of only two games during the season to be on terrestrial TV - the other being the Super Bowl - so I'll be able to watch it even if my Sky subscription runs out.  :-D

Will probably head down to the uni bar if they have it on for cheap beer and (hopefully) good football.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #229 on: 19 Oct 2009, 09:59 »

Aaron Rodgers is a Cal graduate, I'd really like him to keep his heart. He's the first guy who proved that the "Jeff Tedford quarterbacks can't succeed in the NFL" claim was bullshit.

I'd prefer he stay healthy too; I have him on my fantasy team. But that's in the offensive line's hands and so far they seem bound and determined to let other teams treat the dude like a human pinata. Even in that drubbing of the Lions they gave up 5 sacks, and Clifton reinjured his ankle, so we're really heading into pyrrhic victory territory.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #230 on: 19 Oct 2009, 12:08 »

5 hours until Denver starts to go 6 - 0.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #231 on: 19 Oct 2009, 15:56 »

Sherm Lewis?  Really guys?  Was Dion Sanders not available this season?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #232 on: 20 Oct 2009, 13:11 »

Did anybody see Dante Wesley give what might end up being the dirtiest hit this season against the Bucs?

As of today, he's only got a 1 game suspension.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #233 on: 20 Oct 2009, 17:59 »

I didn't see it live, but I've seen it about five times since.  All I want to know is "what the fuck?"  I'm too lazy to look for it, so does anybody know what he's saying about that?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #234 on: 20 Oct 2009, 19:23 »

I just don't understand why he hit him so high.

Reed

« Reply #235 on: 20 Oct 2009, 19:25 »

Yeah, it almost looked like he was aiming for helmet-helmet contact. If he was, he should have been suspended for a lot more than 1 game.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #236 on: 20 Oct 2009, 20:18 »

I just don't understand why he hit him so high.

The general gist I got was because the Jags and Bucs don't much like each other. I dunno, I'm still getting the hang of watching football.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #237 on: 20 Oct 2009, 20:31 »

Yeah, it's just jarring when competitiveness crosses the line into just plain taking a shot at someone. It's kinda like the difference between brushing one past the batter to get him to quit crowding the plate and trying to wing one right into the guy's ear. I more or less understand how it gets to that point, but it's not something I really want to see either.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #238 on: 20 Oct 2009, 20:47 »

Oh, I definitely agree. I hate bean wars (Unless someone's just lobbing a curve at someone's ass, that's fine), but it seemed you were legitimately inquiring, so I gave the straight answer.
JON MADE ME GAY

Reed

« Reply #239 on: 20 Oct 2009, 21:00 »

So....how about those Yankees?
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #240 on: 20 Oct 2009, 21:07 »

Not a huge fan (I'm not one of those people who hates the Yankees because it's cool.  I hate them because I'm an Orioles fan), but they do seem to be better than the Angels.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Reed

« Reply #241 on: 20 Oct 2009, 21:15 »

Your response was actually a little more mild than I was expecting.

Mainly I wanted to point out to Shane that the Red Sox are out and the Yankees are up 3-1 in the ALCS.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #242 on: 20 Oct 2009, 21:26 »

Well, my baseball teams are the Orioles and (more recently) the Nationals.  It's hard to generate anything approximating enthusiasm for baseball after so many frustrating years.  I can't really remember the last time we were in the playoffs.

Wait, I can remember that bullshit fan catch vs. the Yankees one year.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Reed

« Reply #243 on: 20 Oct 2009, 22:26 »

Let me get this straight.

Your favorite teams are the Redskins for football, and the Orioles and Nationals for baseball?

So.......do you just choose whichever teams suck the hardest?

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #244 on: 21 Oct 2009, 03:29 »

Hey, hey, hey it's not been proven that the Redskins suck the hardest!!!
Yet.
I mean they've managed to win two games. TWO! Two horrible horrible games.
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #245 on: 21 Oct 2009, 06:55 »

Mainly I wanted to point out to Shane that the Red Sox are out and the Yankees are up 3-1 in the ALCS.

Oh dude, it's hockey season, and we're in the middle of the EPL and the Champions League group stage. I've got plenty to keep my mind off the suckfest that was the Red Sox in the ALDS.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #246 on: 21 Oct 2009, 07:15 »

If your team keeps winning in League One and my team keeps being in 10th place in the Championship, maybe next year they'll get to play each other!

Tommy, have you seen (or read) the Damned United ? If so, what did you think?

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #247 on: 21 Oct 2009, 08:45 »

Let me get this straight.

Your favorite teams are the Redskins for football, and the Orioles and Nationals for baseball?

So.......do you just choose whichever teams suck the hardest?

I also support the Wizards.  I think it's the other way around, since I just choose teams based on geography.  Which means I also support the Capitals, who don't suck the worst in hockey.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #248 on: 21 Oct 2009, 09:09 »

Dropping half a billion dollars in one offseason will get you pretty far, apparently. Not normally one to say it, but the Yanks straight up bought a set of rings this year. Without the combined $350 million they dropped on Sabathia and Teixeira, the Yanks don't even make the playoffs this season, the Burnett acquisition just made it ridiculous.
JON MADE ME GAY

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #249 on: 21 Oct 2009, 09:46 »

Anderson, PAY FUCKING ATTENTION, THEY'RE TRYING TO PASS THE BALL TO YOU. Jesus.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76   Go Up