THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 567044 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #400 on: 27 Nov 2009, 16:29 »

Someone needs to tell Russell that you can't wait for the easy completion every down at the NFL level. The cliche "Take what the defense gives you," isn't exactly a crock of shit, but it definitely needs some qualifiers; sometimes "taking what the defense gives you" means throwing the ball when you only have a 50% chance of making the completion at best. Russell just ends up taking the sack or waiting so long that he gets stuck taking an even worse throw.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #401 on: 27 Nov 2009, 16:31 »

Russell's problem, from what I've seen, is that he just hucks the ball every time. I've never seen a QB overthrow receivers as much as Jamarcus Russell does.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #402 on: 27 Nov 2009, 17:24 »

tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #403 on: 28 Nov 2009, 14:57 »

My all-time favorite footballer, Ryan Giggs, scored his 100th Premier League goal today.

I missed the game because I had to work, and it wasn't on television. Fox Soccer Channel was too busy showing utterly important games like Burnley v. West Ham.

:cry:
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #404 on: 28 Nov 2009, 15:19 »

I have spent my entire life hating Giggs and I've no plans to stop any time soon.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #405 on: 28 Nov 2009, 15:25 »

Unless you're a 10 year old Arsenal fan, I dunno how that's possible.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #406 on: 28 Nov 2009, 15:32 »

How can someone hate Ryan Giggs? I'm not a United fan, nor am I Welsh, but Giggs is one of my favourite footballers ever. Absolutely fantastic player, and a total class act to boot. Was great today when he stumbled inside the box then had a joke with the ref when he didn't award another penalty.
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #407 on: 28 Nov 2009, 15:47 »

I'm a city fan.
I don't need any more clarification.
Fuck Ryan Giggs.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #408 on: 28 Nov 2009, 15:57 »

I'm a Liverpool fan.
Fuck Ryan Giggs.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Ptommydski

« Reply #409 on: 29 Nov 2009, 01:33 »

I'm a Leeds fan.
Fuck Ryan Giggs.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #410 on: 29 Nov 2009, 01:35 »

Fuck Giant Figs
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Ptommydski

« Reply #411 on: 29 Nov 2009, 01:37 »

Okay, he's an absolutely brilliant footballer.

On a lighter note, did anyone see Jimmy Bullard's celebration after netting against Manchester City yesterday? What a class act he is. I can almost forgive him for single handedly keeping Phil 'Cunt' Brown in his job.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #412 on: 29 Nov 2009, 05:42 »

Whatever one thinks of Ryan Giggs, I think everyone can agree that he should never be allowed to take off his shirt ever again.

Rudi Voller

• Plantmonster
« Reply #413 on: 29 Nov 2009, 08:48 »

The draw for the FA Cup 3rd round has either Leeds or Kettering going to Old Trafford. I am not entirely sure which possibly sounds better. On one hand Kettering are non-league nonentities, going to the biggest ground in the country. Could be spectacular.

On the other hand, Leeds United at Man United. Damn, that could be good. And when Leeds inevitably lose, it allows them to concentrate on the league, which can only be a good thing.

In other news, this is a fantastic piece with links to the best goals of the decade.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #414 on: 29 Nov 2009, 08:58 »

Unless you're a 10 29 year old Arsenal fan, I dunno how that's possible.

Speaking of Gunners. I know you have massive injuries of late but please beat Chelsea. Without RvP, Bendtner and most of your starting back i know its gonna be hard, hell id be happy with a draw even. Just please don't let the Spurs be ahead of you in the standings...ever.  

*edit* ok i guess asking for a tie was a little much but at least a goal would've been nice. yes i know you got robbed by a bad call but hey it happens. Im sure Arsene is going to bitch about it for the next month or so but you've got to move on. Champions League still looks good and the Premiership has a ways to go so no worries.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2009, 12:47 by Aurjay »
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #415 on: 29 Nov 2009, 09:37 »

Whatever one thinks of Ryan Giggs, I think everyone can agree that he should never be allowed to take off his shirt ever again.

Very true, Harry. Very true.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #416 on: 29 Nov 2009, 09:41 »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #417 on: 29 Nov 2009, 09:43 »

Dear Mr. Dski,

Make sure Leeds beat Kettering in the FA Cup, please. Man United drew the winner at Old Trafford and it's been quite a while since we've played you. Would much like to give you crap after we beat Leeds.

Signed,
Me

Rudi Voller

• Plantmonster
« Reply #418 on: 29 Nov 2009, 10:07 »

I think it depends a lot on what sort of line-up Man U put out. I coujld see it being tight if he rests some folks, but with a full strength line-up I can't see a league 1 team beating them, however good a league 1 side they are. If you'd been playing at Elland Road it would have given you a better chance, as the atmosphere there could have intimidated some of the younger Man U players.

This is, of course, assuming that you don't lose to Kettering.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #419 on: 29 Nov 2009, 10:17 »

However, we're talking about the FA Cup, where "full squad" for Fergie means that Danny Welbeck's starting up front.. :?

Nothing against Welbeck, I absolutely love him, but starting him in a cup semi? Really? That was a game we were destined to lose.

edit: Speaking of United, we're apparently going after a Palermo striker named "Kjaer". Is there a centre-forward named "Sols" anywhere that we could team him up with?
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2009, 10:34 by valley_parade »

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #420 on: 29 Nov 2009, 15:51 »

Maybe, but then you'd have to play them both of the bench 90% of the time.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #421 on: 29 Nov 2009, 17:44 »

I think it's a bad sign when the Bears lose 36 to 10 and I come away from the game thinking our offense played OK.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #422 on: 29 Nov 2009, 17:53 »

That might be a bad sign, but I'm okay with how my defense played except for the one play where DeSean Jackson had to kill time in the end zone while waiting for the pass.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #423 on: 30 Nov 2009, 06:45 »

Maybe, but then you'd have to play them both of the bench 90% of the time.

Nevermind, then. We already have one of those, 'cept he's called Berbatov.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #424 on: 30 Nov 2009, 17:28 »

I think it's a bad sign when the Bears lose 36 to 10 and I come away from the game thinking our offense played OK.

How do you figure they played okay? I watched the came and I was thinking ... well, 'something else' might sum it up.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #425 on: 30 Nov 2009, 22:15 »

Jay Cutler only threw one real INT.

That's a good game in my book.

(Ron Turner: stop running up the middle every farking play, I'm going to kill you)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #426 on: 30 Nov 2009, 23:56 »

Uh, actually, the official NFL stats credits him with 2 interceptions and taking 4 sacks. He was pretty damn accurate though, for the most part; it's hard to say much more then that about his performance with that playcalling. I honestly thought it seemed even worse on defense. It's nice that they managed to keep Peterson looking mortal for the day by stacking the box like that, but honestly, who gives a shit when your cute li'l soft zone D lets the QB throw for a hojillion yards. I don't really care how good your opponent is; 24 points in a quarter shouldn't happen, ever.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2009, 23:58 by Alex C »

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #427 on: 01 Dec 2009, 00:06 »

Jay Cutler only threw one real INT.

There's a difference between looking at numbers and actually watching the game.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #428 on: 01 Dec 2009, 01:47 »

The implication here is that it still counts.

And seriously, if you don't think there's anything wrong with where he decided to go with it, I don't know what to tell you.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #429 on: 01 Dec 2009, 02:14 »

The pass was good, the route decent, and linebacker made a nice jump on the ball. In any other game it would've been an incomplete pass, but Cutler is having terrible luck this season and it bounced off someone's helmet and got intercepted. Much like how against Green Bay Week 1, he tried to throw it away at his feet and a defensive lineman falling on the ground managed to catch it. Not smart throws, but not definitively stupid ones either.

And sure, they still count statistically, but what I was trying to convey was the fact that his percentage of fault in this situation is minimal. Hence the "real" part of the statement I repeated.

Anyway, arguing gets us nowhere. How about the Saints? They knocked off the Pats with relative ease, making them 11 - 0 with a schedule that doesn't offer any more real opponents for the rest of the regular season:

Dec 06        @ WASHINGTON REDSKINS   
Dec 13        @ ATLANTA FALCONS   
Dec 19        vs. DALLAS COWBOYS   
Dec 27        vs. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS   
Jan 03        @ CAROLINA PANTHERS

With Matt Ryan out next week (probably questionable for the 13th) and Tony Romo's track record in December, I think they've got a real shot to go the distance.

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #430 on: 01 Dec 2009, 03:51 »

The Saints scare me. Teams shouldn't be able to just breeze past the Patriots like that.
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #431 on: 01 Dec 2009, 06:52 »

It was pretty frightening. I don't see anyone beating them, now.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #432 on: 01 Dec 2009, 07:04 »

The Saints scare me. Teams shouldn't be able to just brees past the Patriots like that.

FYP

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #433 on: 01 Dec 2009, 07:14 »

picardfacepalm.jpg
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #434 on: 01 Dec 2009, 10:26 »

Dec 06        @ WASHINGTON REDSKINS   

This will be their first loss of the season.  Mark my words.

Actually, this will be the first game of the season during which I will cry.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #435 on: 01 Dec 2009, 21:58 »

The Saints scare me. Teams shouldn't be able to just breeze past the Patriots like that.

The Saints make me sad. This isn't a good year for the Vikes to peak.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #436 on: 02 Dec 2009, 08:40 »

The Saints scare me. Teams shouldn't be able to just bree bree bree bree past the Patriots like that.
FYP

Crunk Pig'd Yr Post

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #437 on: 02 Dec 2009, 15:43 »

Mayweather - Pacquaio bout all but confirmed.

Yes, boxing fans, it hasn't taken long but it was really the only meaningful fight left for either pugilist before retirement and it should be a great one.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #438 on: 02 Dec 2009, 16:43 »

I dunno, I still have a hard time getting into boxing. Either it's a blood bath, which is kinda hard to watch, or one guy gets on his bike and it drags on for a while. I would have to imagine this one could turn into the latter; Mayweather tends to do that anyway and why shouldn't he? He often has a reach advantage against guys his own height or taller, and Manny is neither.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #439 on: 04 Dec 2009, 08:55 »

I can completely understand why some people can't get into boxing but when these big fights happen it is supposed to fall into a tactical style whereby each boxer is as good as the other and you get a great fight.

Examples: Thrilla in Manila
An older bout which had the 15 round limit and is widely regarded as the greatest fight of all time, lasting 14 of the 15 rounds until Muhammad Ali finally comes out on top.

Sugar Ray Leonard vs Thomas Hearns (1st meeting)
Another great bout whereby Leonard was behind on points going into the 13th round of 15 but found a second wind and ended up stopping the fight in the 14th.

There are a lot of matches where the result is completely uneven although it shouldn't be, the recent Pacquaio - Cotto one a definite example, but you can't always set things up so that everything goes perfectly and sometimes fights just don't live up to expectation.
I would say though that somebody fleeing punches if they are receiving regular barrages is a good tactic (not that you were saying otherwise) but while it conserves energy for a possible comeback for the boxer it does make the bout less interesting for a while for the crowd and viewers.

Just to note: the newest generation of boxing fans (you, me, anybody younger than us) has not had the opportunity to watch a great fight yet. The most recent bout that is considered within the top 100 of all time [by Ring Magazine] is a bout from 1995 although it is possible that the Pacquiao - Cotto match might be entered in there just for the dominance that was unexpected by a lot of people.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #440 on: 04 Dec 2009, 09:00 »

D-Double P-Post

On a different topic today is the day of the FIFA World Cup Draw for South Africa 2010. Starts at around 5:30pm GMT and likely there is coverage of it on a TV channel near you.

List of countries who have qualified:

Pot Four: France, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece, Serbia, Denmark, Slovakia.
Pot Three: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay.
Pot Two: Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, United States, Mexico, Honduras.
Pot One: South Africa, Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England.

For British viewers (or anybody who can get BBC) there is live video a text coverage on the BBC Sport website here.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #441 on: 04 Dec 2009, 10:47 »

Yeah I am pretty pleased at how the U.S. drew.  I mean England will be a tough match, but Algeria and Slovenia are really nothing to worry about so our chances of advancing are pretty dang good.

Man Group G is pretty nasty though huh (Also Group D)

Rudi Voller

• Plantmonster
« Reply #442 on: 04 Dec 2009, 10:51 »

Ivory Coast have now been drawn in the hardest group two world cups in a row after getting Argentina and Netherlands last time around. Some real rough luck right there.

I think Italy will now be a reasonable bet to win the whole tournament. They are in an easy group, and then face the runner up in group H which is just as poor. That get's them to the quarter finals pretty easily, and Italy are well-known for being slow starters but very good once they get going. So them or Spain for me I reckon.

Considering this tournament is stil 7 months away I am far too excited.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #443 on: 04 Dec 2009, 11:00 »

I think the only team that is going to win it (bar lots of injuries) is Spain. They just look far too good for anyone else.

Don't discount Germany to make a fight of it though. It seems that every team that suffers an adversity seems to make a good run of it, e.g. Italy almost not being allowed to play last time (in my opinion they shouldn't have played) and with the tragic passing of Robert Enke they will be fighting even harder to progress as far as possible.

Rudi Voller

• Plantmonster
« Reply #444 on: 04 Dec 2009, 11:04 »

I think that the Netherlands will play some astonishing football until they reach the quarter finals and implode, as they are prone to doing. I hope the Spaniards win it as it means that there are more games to watch them play well.

I haven't seen Brazil play since the last world cup I don't think, so I can't really comment. Always up there with the favourites though.

Germany have a very tough group, facing both Ghana and Serbia. They could quite conceivably finish second and end up facing England in the next round. That would be a fantastic match, but a difficult one to win.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #445 on: 04 Dec 2009, 11:13 »

I had no idea North Korea had a football team.

And that they were any good.

Go them I guess?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #446 on: 04 Dec 2009, 12:13 »

I had no idea North Korea had a football team.

Well there is generally a team for all countries
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2009, 16:05 by KickThatBathProf »

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #447 on: 04 Dec 2009, 16:02 »

I want Australia to win. That'd be funny.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #448 on: 04 Dec 2009, 19:21 »

That's a pretty good draw for Australia. They should be able to make it through to the second round. It's certainly a lot better than being lumped in with Croatia, Japan, and Brazil, like they were last time around.

There seems to be plenty of scope for England to underperform in their group, too. I mean I hope not, England's my second team (first in previous World Cups, when Australia wasn't involved), but really. Let's not get our hopes up. They're sharing their group with teams they could easily underestimate and take it easy against and end up getting surprised by.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #449 on: 04 Dec 2009, 20:03 »

This is true but that seems to be the England of old. Sure I don't think they're going to win it but ,under the tutelage of Capello, England have become a real force, scoring goals for fun and almost coming through with a perfect record. I don't really see any of those teams causing a problem and it is likely that the USA will progress aswell.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 76   Go Up