THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 01:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greatest Album of the Decade Tournament, ROUND FOUR  (Read 12906 times)

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
Re: Greatest Album of the Decade Tournament, ROUND FOUR
« Reply #50 on: 26 Sep 2009, 22:32 »

Cause voting for TMG will not help them win now.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #51 on: 27 Sep 2009, 01:44 »

Radiohead - Kid A
This is not a tough choice for me. I find "The Argument" kinda boring and Kid A was an important album for me when it came out. Along with a couple other albums around that time, really made me want to listen to music rather than hear it. So, nostalgia.
Low - Things We Lost In The Fire
I honestly haven't listened to either of these albums a lot, but the Low record just has this feeling of rightness to it. That's a poor explanation but I can't find better words for what I mean.
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
I actually much prefer the BSS self-titled to their debut, but for me the LCD Soundsystem album is just a couple of really excellent songs, it doesn't hang together all that well as an album. I'm aware I'm probably in the minority here.
Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
I don't quite get all the Interpol hate. Sure, they have terrible lyrics, but they're often terrible in an amusing way, and I honestly prioritize good lyrics pretty low down when evaluating music (though really good lyrics certainly help). Still, I feel like this is the kind of decision I might change if I'd listened to Akuma No Uta more than the two times I've heard it... (both after this competition started).
Abstain
I haven't listened to The Avalanches album enough since it first came out to be confident in a decision either way here, so I'll leave it to everyone else to make the correct choice.
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Hey, this is still in the competition! Awesome. Post-rock isn't really music I listen to, as much as have on as a pleasant background to work/sleep/whatever, so I tend to prefer albums I enjoy more actively.
Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid Of You...
I've never really liked Wilco *shrug*
Arcade Fire - Funeral
I love love love both these albums, but I think Funeral just pips Queen Mary at the post.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #52 on: 27 Sep 2009, 07:25 »

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People (We really think James Murphy is a better songwriter than John Darnielle? We think that? I don't know if I trust you people anymore. I've listened through Sound of Silver again and I like it more than I did, but still.)
Actually yes. As much as I adore TMG they have never written a song as perfect as All My Friends.

It is official, gents and ladies: James Murphy Officially Won Songwriting when he penned All My Friends. There is nothing more to be said on the subject. It is nice that people are still writing songs and all, but kind of redundant.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Lhefriel_Medies

• Plantmonster
« Reply #53 on: 27 Sep 2009, 07:44 »

SO SOUND OF SILVER DON'T LET ME DOWN. :(. Discovery is an acceptable alternative.

The Argument
Happy Songs for Happy People
Sound of Silver
Akuma no Uta

Discovery
Lift Yr Skinny Fists
ABSTAIN
Funeral

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #54 on: 28 Sep 2009, 13:28 »

Pass
Mogwai
LCD Soundsystem
Boris

Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #55 on: 28 Sep 2009, 18:36 »

Kid A (I really hate to vote Radiohead over Fugazi, but Actually, wait

The Argument
Things We Lost in the Fire (I used to really like Happy Songs for Happy People. It's still pretty dece, but Low is better.)
Sound of Silver (Literally none of the bands that could have eventually been against Sound of Silver in this bracket could have beaten it)
Akuma no Uta (I would stand up for Interpol, because I do still quite like that album, but Boris. Ooops. A Boris just happened. Did you catch that? Sorry Interpol.)

Since I Left You (It's really fucking good. I think we agree on this point)
Broken Social Scene (I do like the GY!BE album quite a bit, but I feel like a I have a lot more use for BSS than GY!BE in my life)
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (I have not forgotten that the winner of this bracket ought to be Nite Versions)
Apologies to the Queen Mary (That's an interesting pair. Both pretty hyped indie rock type albums with lots of songs you can shout along to. But Spencer Krug basically has a hold on my heart and brain. And The Arcade Fire are boring.)

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #56 on: 29 Sep 2009, 03:26 »

Dovey I see that you voted for Discovery over the Avalanches and while this doesn't mean that we can't be friends any more, it definitely means that we will never be a DJ crew
: ((((((
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #57 on: 29 Sep 2009, 05:57 »

Hey man it just means we will play off of each other's strengths and weaknesses. Like a mecha-DJ.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #58 on: 29 Sep 2009, 07:41 »

Bryan that is so totally cheating. Honestly.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 29 Sep 2009, 07:52 »

My votes are in for Boris and The Avalanches.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up