THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Borderlands  (Read 130188 times)

ackblom12

Re: Borderlands
« Reply #50 on: 19 Oct 2009, 13:47 »

ackblom12

Man I am eager to get my Diablo/Fallout3/Team Fortress on.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #51 on: 19 Oct 2009, 15:40 »

preordered this for 360 months ago. can't wait.

gamertag's Captain Dino, for those of you i'm not already friends with. let's play!

yeah!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #52 on: 19 Oct 2009, 16:52 »

It would be like trying to hook up your toaster to your wireless router so you could make Eggos on the fly.

There would be a ridiculous amount of awesome involved with this becoming possible.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #53 on: 19 Oct 2009, 19:16 »

I AM BUYING THIS TOMORROW AND PLAYING IT ON WEDNESDAY GOD DAMN IT
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #54 on: 20 Oct 2009, 06:00 »

I am purchasing this after work. Unfortunately, I do not have internet access at home. In a month, when I move, I will try to hook up with you guys.

ackblom12

« Reply #55 on: 20 Oct 2009, 06:04 »

Fantastic, Amazon is being a kind kind entity and the game is being delivered tomorrow rather than the original Friday delivery date.

Folks shared this yesterday in Meebo and it sums up my love of this game.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUJrKGN3C0&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2009, 11:45 by ackblom12 »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #56 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:46 »

ROCKET SHOTGUN

I'll get home with my copy between 5 and 6 PM PST tonight, and I'll definitely be looking for a co-op game. Hit me up if you've got yours by then.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2009, 11:47 by Storm Rider »
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #57 on: 20 Oct 2009, 17:26 »

What console are people playing this on?  If anyones got if for PS3 let me know, I picked it up today.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #58 on: 20 Oct 2009, 17:27 »

Double posting, but I just got home and I'm about to start playing. The disc is installing to my hard drive right now, and as soon as I'm done eating I'll be starting. If anybody else has the game yet and wants to play co-op, let me know, or else I'll look for guys on SA.

Whoops, guess I'm not double posting after all. I've got the 360 version, if that wasn't clear.

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #59 on: 20 Oct 2009, 17:30 »

I'll definitely be getting the ps3 version this weekend. If Irik or anyone else is getting the ps3 version and wanna play online lemme know.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #60 on: 20 Oct 2009, 21:13 »

Good news for everyone who cares about achievements: I got the viral achievement from playing with some dude from SA earlier, so anybody who plays in a game with me should get it. Really enjoying the game so far, the past four hours pretty much disappeared for me. Gotten some pretty crazy loot so far, including a bunch of stuff that I can't even use yet because the guys I was playing with were way higher level than me, so the level range is all 15-18.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #61 on: 20 Oct 2009, 23:47 »

Here is a question: is this game a really good game.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #62 on: 21 Oct 2009, 00:07 »

Specifically, is this game a really good PC game?
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #63 on: 21 Oct 2009, 03:59 »

Well, the Metacritic reviews do think so, but I can give you a personal opinion on the 30th.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #64 on: 21 Oct 2009, 05:46 »

I am going to be playing this tonight and also all weekend

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #65 on: 21 Oct 2009, 06:23 »

I started playing this last night and I could barely tear myself away. "Just one more quest," I would say, as the time crept steadily on. I was comparing numbers and watching bars fill up and lighting people on fire with bullets. This game is fantastic.

And I was playing alone. Imagine my reaction if I had the internet.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #66 on: 21 Oct 2009, 06:58 »

So, which class are you going to me? My taste goes out to Mordecai right now, but I'm still looking through the skill trees.

Holy crap, there's a Medic skill that makes shooting your teammembers heal them!
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #67 on: 21 Oct 2009, 07:07 »

I went with Mordecai. I usually do pretty well with single-shot weapons. Next character will absolutely be a shotgun-toting, grenade tossing badass, though.

was anyone else impressed with the sheer amount of scope styles? I figured you would have a crosshair and it would zoom and whatnot. Standard fare, you know?  Last night I got no less than four different styles--from standard crosshair to futuristic vertical slit with dot. Nice touch, that.

ackblom12

« Reply #68 on: 21 Oct 2009, 07:53 »

I have no idea at all what class I wanna play. The onyl one I think I don't want is Siren, her style just doesn't mesh with me. But... I can do a shotty Turret healer or a bad ass sniper or The Heavy. This is a tought goddamn choice.

What is everyone else going with?
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2009, 08:38 by ackblom12 »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #69 on: 21 Oct 2009, 10:18 »

I went with Mordecai because...well because he's a badass. And also I prefer sniping when possible and it's not like you're really restricted to any one type of gun anyway.

I really like his voice. I haven't heard any of the other character's voices so I can't speak for them but Mordecai's little chuckles and one-liners when he headshots people are pretty amusing.

Good news for everyone who cares about achievements: I got the viral achievement from playing with some dude from SA earlier, so anybody who plays in a game with me should get it.

I was wondering what that was. I thought it was just for playing with a friend or something but it said "game with fame" and i didn't really know what it was talking about.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #70 on: 21 Oct 2009, 10:21 »

Haha, everyone seems to be in favor of the hunter. Maybe I'll go with Siren first and see what this whole Phasewalking thing is about.

I hope you can switch between playable characters easily, so that I can create a truckload of characters and try out as many builds as possible.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #71 on: 21 Oct 2009, 11:03 »

Looks rad, and I just bought a new processor for my lappy. Just waiting for it to arrive then going to do some hardcore new PC gaming!
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

ackblom12

« Reply #72 on: 21 Oct 2009, 11:07 »

Guys, there is an actual enemy unit called "badass level 35 angry shotgunner midgets".

I am in love.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #73 on: 21 Oct 2009, 12:05 »

LTK, you'll need to convince me once you get your copy that it isn't just a shitty port. Otherwise I am over this game like white on MJ.

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #74 on: 21 Oct 2009, 12:07 »

So guys, I'm pretty sure I can only afford one 360 game right now. Should I get this or Brutal Legend? Keep in mind I don't have live, but I do have a roommate who will play this to death with me.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

ackblom12

« Reply #75 on: 21 Oct 2009, 12:30 »

I'm... I'm not sure. O a personal Note I would get Brutal Legend because I'm a Schaffer whore. It is also hilarious, but being a huge fan of Metal myself it also added a good amount to the game, though that isn't necesarry.

This however also appears hilarious and the co-op should be a huge boost to it's enjoyability. It's also guaranteed to be a lot longer.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #76 on: 21 Oct 2009, 14:11 »

LTK, you'll need to convince me once you get your copy that it isn't just a shitty port. Otherwise I am over this game like white on MJ.

You got it. After Red Faction Guerrilla fucked me sideways I'll be extra critical. Anyway, they seem to have their stuff together as the release dates aren't far apart, and I've yet to play a game by 2K that felt like a port.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #77 on: 21 Oct 2009, 18:03 »

-> FIXDIX

Dude, totally send me a PM and we can get everything worked out.  I wish I knew people who have PS3's or at least have them hooked up to the internets. 

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #78 on: 21 Oct 2009, 18:26 »

You got it. After Red Faction Guerrilla fucked me sideways I'll be extra critical. Anyway, they seem to have their stuff together as the release dates aren't far apart, and I've yet to play a game by 2K that felt like a port.

How did you like ME, by the way? I never really expected the PC version to be any good, but someone was saying it was pretty well-done.

EDIT: Also oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck 10% off if I preorder now of fuuuuuuuuuuck.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2009, 21:55 by Melodic »

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #79 on: 21 Oct 2009, 22:05 »

Fuck it, I bought it. Steam ID is pix3Ls if you feel like playing on the 26th.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #80 on: 22 Oct 2009, 03:32 »

How did you like ME, by the way? I never really expected the PC version to be any good, but someone was saying it was pretty well-done.

EDIT: Also oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck 10% off if I preorder now of fuuuuuuuuuuck.

I liked it quite well. The role-playing was unquestionably good, combat was better than you would expect, although squad commands and special attacks were still a bit wonky, I just let the AI handle that. All in all it was a satisfying experience. Thank you again for that.

It was 10% off throughout the time it was available for pre-order, mind you. :P Only now you have the chance to pre-load it too.

Hey, wait a minute, I got your Steam id as scopers. What's pix3ls, then?
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 09:40 by LTK »

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #81 on: 22 Oct 2009, 11:59 »

The account name is pix3Ls, the name it'll be under your friends list is Scope.

ackblom12

« Reply #82 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:21 »

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/

Guys, this is a link to the site. Goign to the characters lets you do skill tree builds and linking it once you're done shows off your skill choices. Share your wanna be builds.

This is a Hunter Build I'm going for. Surviviability and upping party CP being the main goals. Also, Fucking bird hell yeah. Smirk would be replaced by the Relentless skill at some point.

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11055000050055055005500
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 12:27 by ackblom12 »

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #83 on: 22 Oct 2009, 13:18 »

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #85 on: 22 Oct 2009, 14:11 »

It pisses me off so bad that I cannot really afford this right now due to preordering Dragon Age and buying Brutal Legend, which I honestly kind of regret.

Also: How's the melee for a first person game? I like the idea of stealthy characters and melee artists but in a lot of FPS games it's just not as visceral or satisfying as grabbing a big gun. Is it as well-supported as in say, Chronicles of Riddick or should I know going in that I'll probably want to shoot stuff?
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 14:28 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #86 on: 22 Oct 2009, 14:56 »

The melee is very minimal. Mordecai's melee attack is a machete, I believe, but the animation happens so fast that you can barely see it; kind of disappointing actually. I dunno about the other characters.

There are skills and weapons and stuff that increases your melee damage though. for instance, Mordecai has a skill that increases melee damage and gives every melee strike a chance to be a "fatal hit" or something, doing assloads of damage. Then there are the weapons with blades on them; pretty self-explanatory.

But really, this game is about shooting guns. Melee is sort of an emergency only tactic unless you use one of aformentioned skills/weapons that make it actually worthwhile (or are playing as Brick, obviously). Also, melee is good for one-shotting super low level mobs that you don't want to waste bullets on.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #87 on: 22 Oct 2009, 15:12 »

It pisses me off so bad that I cannot really afford this right now due to preordering Dragon Age and buying Brutal Legend, which I honestly kind of regret.

Also: How's the melee for a first person game? I like the idea of stealthy characters and melee artists but in a lot of FPS games it's just not as visceral or satisfying as grabbing a big gun. Is it as well-supported as in say, Chronicles of Riddick or should I know going in that I'll probably want to shoot stuff?

Where did you pre-order Dragon Age? What pissed me off pretty good is how you get different combinations of bonuses everywhere you pre-order. EA has no idea which retailers have their stuff together in terms of pre-order extras, and the retailers themselves aren't quite sure of it either. Not only that, but they seem to be consistently screwing European customers everywhere I look for Dragon Age.

The melee is very minimal. Mordecai's melee attack is a machete, I believe, but the animation happens so fast that you can barely see it; kind of disappointing actually. I dunno about the other characters.

There are skills and weapons and stuff that increases your melee damage though. for instance, Mordecai has a skill that increases melee damage and gives every melee strike a chance to be a "fatal hit" or something, doing assloads of damage. Then there are the weapons with blades on them; pretty self-explanatory.

But really, this game is about shooting guns. Melee is sort of an emergency only tactic unless you use one of aformentioned skills/weapons that make it actually worthwhile (or are playing as Brick, obviously). Also, melee is good for one-shotting super low level mobs that you don't want to waste bullets on.

You want melee in a first person game? Play Zeno Clash, pussies. Right now.

But from the skill trees I got the impression that melee played a substantial role in the game. Lilith has 4 skills for melee, Brick has 6, but Mordecai has only one and Roland none.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 15:18 by LTK »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #88 on: 22 Oct 2009, 15:36 »

I decided to go with Steam Digital Deluxe version because you're not really getting fuck all for physical extras with any version of the game (I just can't get excited about a cloth map), and because I rather figure that a digital version will make it a pinch harder for some idiot at gamestop to lose or give away my pre-order card.

And yeah, the skill trees is why I bothered asking about how relatively satisfying the melee combat is, since in most games it's usually pretty wooden and just not very interesting. Looks like from the screenshots and game play trailers I looked up that this might be the case for Borderlands. Even if the attacks are fairly effective I'm not really that interested in them if it turns out they're no more fun to use than say, the Heavy's fists in TF2.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 15:45 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #90 on: 22 Oct 2009, 15:43 »

Also: How's the melee for a first person game?

But from the skill trees I got the impression that melee played a substantial role in the game. Lilith has 4 skills for melee, Brick has 6, but Mordecai has only one and Roland none.

Where there ya have it. Like I said, I've only played Mordecai so I can't speak for the others but it sounds like it might be a little better for some of the others, if you want to go that direction.

ackblom12

« Reply #91 on: 22 Oct 2009, 16:03 »

Melee is absolutely necessary for both Brick and Lilith. Brick basically turns intot he Heavy and uses explosives during his downtime while waiting for Berserk to recharge.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #92 on: 22 Oct 2009, 16:08 »

Roland of course, has unlimited ammo
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #93 on: 23 Oct 2009, 06:45 »

Good, because in order to reach the Dark Tower he's going to need it.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #94 on: 23 Oct 2009, 14:17 »

Had my first encounter with a "power-looter," as they seem to be called, last night. I was playing a game with some guys from the PA forums and one guy would just run ahead of everyone while we were fighting the hordes of enemies and take all the good stuff. Well, not all of it, but quite a lot.

For example, a really nice sniper rifle dropped that did over 300 damage and naturally he snatched it up despite the fact that he was playing soldier and I was playing as a Hunter and definitely needed it more than him (my current rifle was only around 190 or so). Eventually, the group pestered him into dropping it (yay for me!) but the guy was a jerk all the same.

Now I just have to level up one more level and I'll be able to rock that shit (wave goodbye to yer heads, wankers raiders).

I'll probably be on later this evening if anyone wants to play (unless I do the unthinkable and go hang out with my friends *gasp*). Gamertag's still Captain Dino.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #95 on: 23 Oct 2009, 16:47 »

Aaaaaah, you're making it really hard for me to have to wait another week to be able to play this.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #96 on: 23 Oct 2009, 17:46 »

i BARELY HAVE TIME to play this game but the few moments i've sunk into it have been rewarded by the screams of my fallen enemies

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #97 on: 23 Oct 2009, 18:41 »

The game is really awesome. I just spent the past 5 hours or so with some guys on SA and got some really badass stuff for my Siren, including an electric rocket launcher that she can't even use yet because she needs to gain another couple levels.

I really do want to start a Berserker soon though. He's worth it just for the berserk voiceover alone.

ackblom12

« Reply #98 on: 23 Oct 2009, 22:49 »

Me and Pat were doin great, powering through some stuff with his Soldier and my Hunter... and then we got to a chokepoint with a Psycho Bruiser with a massive rocket launcher. Fuck that guy.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #99 on: 24 Oct 2009, 00:46 »

My copy unlocks on the 26th -- I'm concerned about how few of my friends I've convinced to buy the PC version, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up