THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 20:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wilco (The Album)  (Read 2671 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco (The Album)
« on: 09 Oct 2009, 03:38 »

I think I'm in the minority in that I think Sky Blue Sky is Wilco's finest album. It's understated and restrained a few moments aside, and there's not a single song on it that I don't like. I just think it's a beautiful piece of work. I realise a lot of people expected crazier stuff when Nels Cline was involved, but... oh well.

Anyway, Wilco are one of my favourite bands and this was a short gap for a new album by their standards so I was excited.

But I hate this album.

No matter how much I listen to it, it doesn't make an impression on me. I like 'One Wing,' and I think there's one or two others but I can't even NAME them because it leaves me completely cold.

Am I the only one who thinks this album's wank?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
Re: Wilco (The Album)
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct 2009, 04:46 »

Well, the first track is fun, and it just kinda slopes down from there. Why they bothered to have Feist sing on that mediocre song is inexplicable too. It's a definite improvement on Sky Blue Sky, though, which was saccharine, boring, complacent, and uneventful dad rock.

I can't understand how anyone who has heard Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or A Ghost is Born could think Sky Blue Sky is the kind of music Wilco should make.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 09 Oct 2009, 04:52 »

Feist and mediocrity go together pretty well. Oooooh. Just jokes Feist don't get mad at me please.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3 on: 09 Oct 2009, 06:34 »

Well, the first track is fun, and it just kinda slopes down from there. Why they bothered to have Feist sing on that mediocre song is inexplicable too. It's a definite improvement on Sky Blue Sky, though, which was saccharine, boring, complacent, and uneventful dad rock.

I can't understand how anyone who has heard Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or A Ghost is Born could think Sky Blue Sky is the kind of music Wilco should make.

I said it in another thread, and I'll say it again here: For the life of me, I do not enjoy A Ghost Is Born.

It still doesn't get better than Summerteeth, imo.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2009, 02:18 »

How can anyone who's heard OK Computer think that Kid A is the kind of music Radiohead should make? They're just different kinds of albums made by a band with a great deal of versatility.

I'm a fan of country music and Sky Blue Sky was a pretty straightforward country album, with songs on it that I liked. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is too wrapped up in its own mythology and trash noise, quite apart from having a truly horrible closing track, while Ghost Is Born has a good sixteen minutes of its run time sucked up by 'Less Than You Think.' On Sky Blue Sky there's not a single song I want to skip when I listen to it. It's understated and lovely.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2009, 08:50 »

How can anyone who's heard OK Computer think that Kid A is the kind of music Radiohead should make? They're just different kinds of albums made by a band with a great deal of versatility.

except kid a is an incredible forward-thinking record and sky blue sky sounds like a post-reunion eagles record
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2009, 06:59 »

I like that Sky Blue Sky reminds me of the Eagles.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Jughead5267

• Emoticontraindication
  • Ab Initio Ad Finem
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2009, 08:55 »

While I am a fan, and I atleast somewhat enjoy all of their albums, it is hard to beat Fat Jeff Tweedy from a few years back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHnEMdXN_FU
Pages: [1]   Go Up