THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 18:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: October 12-16, 2009  (Read 53741 times)

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
WCT: October 12-16, 2009
« on: 11 Oct 2009, 21:23 »

script done, it looks like we might finally get to meet a much-speculated-about character sometime soon (unless I change my mind)about 2 hours ago from Tweetie

Marten's father?  Hannelore's father?  Who else could it be?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
Re: WCT: October 12-16, 2009
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2009, 21:35 »

Jesus?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2009, 21:44 »

Faye's dad returns to Earth to rid the world of his misfit progeny in the action-packed epic QUESTIONABLE CONTENT: ENDGAME.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

the_shankmaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Sweet Niblets
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2009, 22:17 »

Tai appears to be heavier in this style.
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2009, 22:18 »

Everybody does, actually. Except for Faye, she looks about the same.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2009, 22:19 »

I am liking Jeph's new work schedule. Now I get to enjoy QC over breakfast, instead of having to wait until lunchtime at work.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2009, 22:31 »

Marten's shoulders seem to be broader.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2009, 22:49 »

I disagree, Tai doesn't look too heavy.

Mein Tumblr

Watched Pot

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2009, 23:06 »

"Heavier" doesn't necessarily mean "too heavy".

(does it?)
Don't you do cocaine at ME, you son of a bitch!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2009, 23:12 »

She doesn't look heavier

Mein Tumblr

jonarus_drakus

• Marigold and Pintsize's lovechild
« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2009, 23:15 »

She does look a little, um, bigger? is that the best work? Meh, to tired to think. I'm sceptical about it, maybe in a few more strips (asuming her current run lasts that long). Going by the Twitter, Jeph's VERY happy with her tho, and hey, its his work so whatever...

Odly enough, i was out drinking on saturday night, and i actually met a girl that reminded me of Tai (right down to the lesbian part), she was wearing a spongebob tee... hee hee hee... spongebob...
EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2009, 23:15 »

Marten, then, apparently took his mom's side in the divorce. We can gather that she got custody.

That must have been a really interesting court battle. Either the judge was enlightened enough to realize a sex worker could be a fine mother, or else Henry disqualified himself somehow. In other words, either Veronica won or Henry lost. And this with her record already including a brush with Child Protective Services.

I have trouble imagining what Henry will be like. It's easy to think of a stereotype, but Jeph will probably do something surprising and funny.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2009, 23:32 »

Maybe he will be as spineless as his son

Mein Tumblr

D

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2009, 00:04 »

One of the extremely rare occasions where the title made me laugh before I read the comic.

weirdbeard

• Plantmonster
    • Rants and Giggles
« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2009, 00:13 »

i miss the larger, kinda anime-ish eyes.
I'm glad that jeph likes what he's doing with the art (not sarcastically) but making the faces less cartoony gives me some uncanny-valley vibes.
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
http://rantsandgiggles.blogspot.com

D

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2009, 00:23 »

I understand that this is a comic, but since this is about human beings acting (mostly) like human beings, having the characters looking like human beings shouldn't drag this into the uncanny valley.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2009, 02:20 »

Um to be honest ...

I definitely dont like how massive Tai looks in panel 2.

And the cat ears arent drawn very nicely either. Meaning they look really awful when Tai is seen from the side, especially in panel 3.
Carpe Diem

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2009, 05:14 »

I don't know if this is another new art technique Jeph's added, but I can't recall ever seeing motion lines in QC before today (the circular arrow under Tai's hand in panel 2 as she mimes the turntable action).

[Cue a bunch of posts with links back to previous examples proving that I am an unobservant dolt.]
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2009, 07:11 »

I don't know if this is another new art technique Jeph's added, but I can't recall ever seeing motion lines in QC before today (the circular arrow under Tai's hand in panel 2 as she mimes the turntable action).

[Cue a bunch of posts with links back to previous examples proving that I am an unobservant dolt.]

Well, motion lines are not unheard of, I can recall quite some butt-slappings that were put in motion. We haven't seen those in a while, though. But I like it. Tai would look really cool as a DJ. Pix plix!

Although I did notice something different about Tai. It's distinctly un-Tai-ish. Might be the shape of her head, like with the other characters. Her figure looks all right, it's not that. She's certainly bigger, but that's because she was unrealistically skinny before. But damn - Marten's shoulders look huuuge in that last panel.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2009, 07:17 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:57 »

Marten looks to me not so much larger today (though he has been looking hunkier of late) as more padded - as in having a jumper under his hoodie, which we can see, and which he doesn't normally wear.  Is the weather still cold out in QC land, do you think?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

MrMonk

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct 2009, 10:08 »

She has a less boyish figure.
If you don't hear from me again, expect the worse.  Long live the Batman.

Watched Pot

« Reply #21 on: 12 Oct 2009, 10:33 »

Marten looks to me not so much larger today (though he has been looking hunkier of late) as more padded - as in having a jumper under his hoodie, which we can see, and which he doesn't normally wear.  Is the weather still cold out in QC land, do you think?
Seeing as QC land is a fictionalized Northampton, Massachusetts, I'd say it's just getting cold out-not so much "still" cold out. Also, as the comic takes place in the good old U.S. of A., it would be kind of odd for Marten to be wearing a 'jumper' unless Dora and Tai finally talked him into some gender-bending experimentation.

edit: I've just realized that almost all of my posts here are (to some degree) about the varying pronunciation and meaning of words across cultures.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2009, 10:38 by Watched Pot »

weirdbeard

• Plantmonster
    • Rants and Giggles
« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2009, 10:34 »

I understand that this is a comic, but since this is about human beings acting (mostly) like human beings, having the characters looking like human beings shouldn't drag this into the uncanny valley.

Shrug. i guess its mainly that throughout all the changes in the art, the characters have generally had disproportionately large eyes.
hanners and tai particularly, were very very expressive with their eyes.
also, its the first time i've not liked a change in the art, of which there have been many, so i'm probably going to have to whine about it a bit.
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
http://rantsandgiggles.blogspot.com

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #23 on: 12 Oct 2009, 11:07 »

Cue all the discussions on the changing artstyle. 

Me, I was going to comment on the mindless "Buy Dad a tie for Father's Day" thing.  Hopefully, my lads go with the less mindless, "Buy Dad a beer he hasn't had before."  when the time comes - Much more thoughtful
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

fwiffo

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #24 on: 12 Oct 2009, 11:24 »

Alternate punchline for 10/12 comic:
"The traditional Father's day present is also a corset."
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."      -- Mark Twain

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #25 on: 12 Oct 2009, 11:39 »

Marten has a new hoodie, and it's NOT black! (it's dark gray.)
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 12 Oct 2009, 11:43 »

Seeing as QC land is a fictionalized Northampton, Massachusetts, I'd say it's just getting cold out-not so much "still" cold out. Also, as the comic takes place in the good old U.S. of A., it would be kind of odd for Marten to be wearing a 'jumper' unless Dora and Tai finally talked him into some gender-bending experimentation.

A: It doesn't take place in real time.  The whole strip's run has only been 2-3 years so far.  (Don't ask about the music.  Indie bands are just busy little bees in QC-world.)
B: Um...jumper is a rather British word for "sweater"...what else would it mean?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Keebbles

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:17 »

Tai does look like she's gained the Freshman Fifteen.
 Angle on Martin does meke his shoulders broader, but he does literally shoulder everyone's problems and hold the gang together in more than one way.

On an Aside   Nrrd Con--  my thoughts on possible paths for the characters who might go...

a) Perfect place for Marigold to go on her first date with her Roommate or on a blind date he sets up, or Tai does. She's likely to go anyway. Neh?

b) Hannelore, now hooked on yaoi anime probably is mightily curious as to what else anime has to offer and after her initial experience with Marigold- well her Terminator/Cleaner Outfit is going to fit right in at the Nrrdcon and it'll be amusing to see who'll be more shocked at her presence there. Hanners in the masses of Funk-kiddies or them seeing a real woman near them and not a fellow geek. (though she does qualify as an uber geek with her counting talent. She is going to beat the pants off innumerable nerds/nrrds in trivia - imagine the following question- "How many tribbles were there in Trouble with tribbles if the tribbles really started off with X"  She'll know how many were actually shown on screen, how many would mathematically be possible and how many got killed off and how many were transported to the Klingon ship at the end of the episode - all off the top of her head... She's gonna gain fanboys and get exposed to more than she ever expected anime-wise. Tentacular...

c) The trio of Anthro-PC's will likely go too, sneaking out after Marten forbids them.   The MP3 player will end up being used at the dance and experiencing Trance music and having the electronic version of an acid trip, maybe... Halfpint will be in heaven and Marigold's doll will have to shock more than a few Fanboys wanting to see her Eel trick (she'd show them the shocking one of course...  :roll: :-D)

d) Faye goes just to exercise her Spite and Scorn muscles- She gets crowned Dark Lord/Queen of the Damned of several Memes at the same time and has to ask Marten about how to properly whip them...when is it proper, when can she do it for just fun and when does it border on what his mother does/did?

e) Raven makes a showing in a daring dere-dere meme, for the SCIENCE! of it all and cause dating pool here can't be any worse than what's available in the physics dept.?

just the odd thoughts after no sleep in 3 days and well, so far no spiders and the walls aren't breathing much more than usual...meds for ptsd and migraines must be keeping that stuff in check, but dangit to hell I need some sleep. My muse is getting freaking weird and I don't need another one of those letters from my editor about a story idea I had no idea I'd sent her way in the first place...  :-o
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Free 2 Play! No D/L! Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN The Awesome Online Anime Spoof!

Watched Pot

« Reply #28 on: 12 Oct 2009, 13:11 »

A: It doesn't take place in real time.  The whole strip's run has only been 2-3 years so far.  (Don't ask about the music.  Indie bands are just busy little bees in QC-world.)
B: Um...jumper is a rather British word for "sweater"...what else would it mean?

A: You have a point there.
B: A dress.

the_shankmaster

• Sweet Niblets
« Reply #29 on: 12 Oct 2009, 14:12 »

I need a jumper for my cosplay as an 11 year old girl.  It must be pink.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2009, 16:03 »

B: A dress.

Well, well - that's one usage I've not come across. 

I note that Wikipedia is too po-faced to mention that the pinafore worn as an apron is commonly referred to as a pinny.  For that matter, when I was young, I would call a sweater a pully  (short for pullover).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

the_shankmaster

• Sweet Niblets
« Reply #31 on: 12 Oct 2009, 16:15 »

Strangely enough, the first time I heard the word "pullover" it was in Spanish and it meant t-shirt.  My new (at the time) Cuban stepfamily kept saying "?no tienes otro pulover?" and I was like "what?"

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #32 on: 12 Oct 2009, 17:17 »

Because no one else has said it:

I think Tai looks just adorable with those cat ears.  And I say this as someone who's otherwise uninterested in the whole otaku "catgirl" thing.  Or in any part of otaku culture for that matter.

Kross

• Plantmonster
    • I Can Haz Posse?
« Reply #33 on: 12 Oct 2009, 21:44 »

The look on Tai's face in the fifth panel was great. "wait-wha?"
Huntress (talking to The Question on a cellphone): So what are you wearing?
The Question: Blue overcoat. Fedora.
Huntress: You really stink at this.
The Question: ...Orange socks?

smilesvssmirks

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #34 on: 12 Oct 2009, 21:56 »

Surely, I'm not the only person who upon hearing about a parental dinner possibility had sirens in her head going
MAYDAY MAYDAY PRIME OPPORTUNITY FOR DORA TO GET ALL INSECURE.

Course, then again, Dora might not even be in attendance. Which, I imagine would cause more problems, with her wanting to know why she was not there.
Or maybe Jeph is going to use the chance to show some growth and development in Dora's insecurities and faith in their relationship. We shall see, I guess.

the_shankmaster

• Sweet Niblets
« Reply #35 on: 12 Oct 2009, 21:57 »

I love Marten's face in panels 4 and 5.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #36 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:13 »

Surely, I'm not the only person who upon hearing about a parental dinner possibility had sirens in her head going
MAYDAY MAYDAY PRIME OPPORTUNITY FOR DORA TO GET ALL INSECURE.

Course, then again, Dora might not even be in attendance. Which, I imagine would cause more problems, with her wanting to know why she was not there.
Or maybe Jeph is going to use the chance to show some growth and development in Dora's insecurities and faith in their relationship. We shall see, I guess.

That's rather silly considering how well she handled his mum.

Mein Tumblr

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #37 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:19 »

I am extremely pleased with Marten's deadpan.
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:29 »

Nrrd Con - Should prove interesting if Faye turns up.  But I think the Klingon's would be in trouble  :D

I hope that Dora is there at the dinner with Marten's dad.  It would prove . . . . . . interesting.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jonarus_drakus

• Marigold and Pintsize's lovechild
« Reply #39 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:32 »

I have a new found respect for Marten (not that i didn't like anyway, but meh), that kinda humor takes skill to pull off! I'm Impressed!
EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #40 on: 12 Oct 2009, 23:59 »

Not too hard if you're just a drawn comic figure though.

Comics nice. Nothing to discuss. Bleh. Okay, then I try some of the silly smileys here I never use:  :police: 8-) :mrgreen: :angel:

... why is the smiley angel dead, anyway ? He has X-es as eyes ...
Carpe Diem

smilesvssmirks

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #41 on: 13 Oct 2009, 00:46 »

I think the huge adolescent crush she had for her probably played a role in how swimmingly that meeting went, though.

xxxHan-Ahxxx

• Not quite a lurker
  • don't get carried away by your emotions.
« Reply #42 on: 13 Oct 2009, 04:55 »

i just realized. Martens parents, its like Chandler Bing's parents from Friends xD His mom makes erotic novels and his dad is gay! I wonder if Jeph got the idea from that or its just a coincidence. :laugh:
emotional attachments are too much trouble for me.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #43 on: 13 Oct 2009, 06:24 »

Not just gay, but Chancellor's dad was a female impersonator.  Played by Anne Margaret, if I remember correctly. 

Most gay guys don't wear corsets, by the way.  Although that popped into my mind as an alternative punchline, too! 

I am extremely pleased with Marten's deadpan.

OK, I know it's me, but in the "beat" panel I actually saw a slight narrowing of the eye, a tightening of the lips, and a push upward near the center of his eyebrows signalling repressed bad memories. 

Looking back, it ain't really there, of course.  And that's what makes Jeph great! 

Last comment, on a "chunkier" Tai - at least she's got room now for some internal organs! 

Can't wait for NrdCon. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

vettechinohio

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #44 on: 13 Oct 2009, 07:03 »

I think the huge adolescent crush she had for her probably played a role in how swimmingly that meeting went, though.

Also considering that they were not dating at the time, and the worst of her relationship insecurities conversations/arguments have come out since they hooked up.
You can't do that to a jellyfish! I'm calling the authorities, you dirty jelly molester!

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #45 on: 13 Oct 2009, 09:42 »

We're going to meet Marten's dad!  Squee.  That should have an exclamation point, but I'm deadpanning.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #46 on: 13 Oct 2009, 10:43 »

The look on Tai's face in the fifth panel was great. "wait-wha?"

No no, it was more of a 'ohmigod no I'm so stupid for saying that so sorry'. That was a really mean joke to play by Marten, though.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

dps

« Reply #47 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:05 »

She has a less boyish figure.

Maybe it's not an art change--maybe she just has kleenex stuffed in her bra.

the_shankmaster

• Sweet Niblets
« Reply #48 on: 13 Oct 2009, 12:01 »

Not too hard if you're just a drawn comic figure though.

Comics nice. Nothing to discuss. Bleh. Okay, then I try some of the silly smileys here I never use:  :police: 8-) :mrgreen: :angel:

... why is the smiley angel dead, anyway ? He has X-es as eyes ...

Silly.  Those are ^ ^ eyes.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #49 on: 13 Oct 2009, 20:34 »

Whoa!  Either Jeph's sleep schedule is really messed up, or...

I was just going to check the forums, and I saw tomorrows comic - posted at 6:40 PM today!  He must've done it in advance, and didn't want to wait up late to post it.  I hope he's sleeping better...

It looks like Hanners is sleep deprived and a little depressed in the last panel.  Thinking about all the parental bullshit in your life will do that!  The "OMG I have to tell Marigold" is priceless, though.  And I think the eyes are getting a little bigger again.  Which works for her. 

Personally, I love spontaneity... in me.  Hate it in other people.  So I sympathize with Dora! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up