THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Swag Me The Fuck Out  (Read 119968 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Fuck The Rap Game. This that Death of the rap game.
« Reply #150 on: 24 Nov 2010, 17:13 »

One beat, one lyric, repeat ad nauseum.

A novel critique!
Well there is a reason they call it "ringtone rap".

I guess you could levy the same charge at, say, footwork but that would be, you know, dumb. There's a difference between doing something and doing something well.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 17:15 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #151 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:20 »

Anyway, downloading the new Soulja Boy, and I'm psyched.

What is WRONG with you?!

Shit's Swag boo.

First Day of School, Fly, Blowing Me Kisses all go hard. Pretty Boy Swag remix is fucked up good.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #152 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:22 »

hey if you think chart hip-hop across the board is minstrelsy or misogynistic or whatever and you have jstor access then i'm going to suggest that instead of publicly clowning yourself as you are currently doing you should actually look at the broad, vast field of study that's been done on the subject and understand that it's way more complicated than that and the stuff you've been exposed to or intentionally exposed yourself to has been remarkably narrow and that there are arguments to be made but your contextualization of them is seriously lacking. yes khar i am speaking directly to you but also anyone reading this thread. i know these discussions are being held elsewhere because i just wrote up a research proposal on gender roles & sexualities in chart hip-hop and had to do a lengthy annotated bibliography.

also cali swag district is probably my favourite current rap crew i think, their beats are just so awesome and they're such a playful bunch of dudes

e: and like relatability is a weird argument. what do you need to relate to? why do you need to relate to it? do you relate to the immediate & direct content or do you kind of hope for like an aristotlean universal in the particular, rather than just relating exclusively to the particular itself? and why can't the contents of rap express things which are deeply relatable, even stuff that's big on the charts? i have so many questions cause as a critique it just doesn't make sense. like i definitely don't relate to latter-day scott walker or a bunch of parenthetical girls songs or fela kuti, at all, but i love records and songs from those artists.

Look Johnny said exactly what I was trying to say but much better! And still everyone is gonna thing rap music is really stupid, but whatever.

JC, peep Odd Future though, for real. Also is there a Cali Swag District mixtape or album? Dougie is hype as fucc but I haven't heard anything else.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #153 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:35 »

Anyway, downloading the new Soulja Boy, and I'm psyched.

What is WRONG with you?!

Shit's Swag boo.

First Day of School, Fly, Blowing Me Kisses all go hard. Pretty Boy Swag remix is fucked up good.

Also, look at this fuccin video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbGJCT3R154

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #154 on: 25 Nov 2010, 08:45 »

Been listening to a bunch of AZ, lately. Dude was so good.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #155 on: 25 Nov 2010, 19:32 »

hey if you think chart hip-hop across the board is minstrelsy or misogynistic or whatever and you have jstor access then i'm going to suggest that instead of publicly clowning yourself as you are currently doing you should actually look at the broad, vast field of study that's been done on the subject and understand that it's way more complicated than that and the stuff you've been exposed to or intentionally exposed yourself to has been remarkably narrow and that there are arguments to be made but your contextualization of them is seriously lacking.

Emperor's New Clothes woop woop.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #156 on: 26 Nov 2010, 00:25 »

okay either respond with something that indicates you've actually put effort into backing up making the kind of really broad assertions you've made or for the last time shut the fuck up with your terrible ideas about rap TIA

kieffer, the kickback is comin out in january but in the meantime the next single off it is "kickback" which nails it
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #157 on: 26 Nov 2010, 02:13 »

Johnny you're invalidating my experience. How dare you.

EDIT: I think that the fact that you consistently feel the need to justify your affection for various sorts of popular music by what is not in fact a reasonable argument but a sort of pseudo-academical intimidation (shotgunning out sources and naming grand-sounding theories and schools of criticism in a blustering effort to impress others with your scholarship) speaks volumes about your relationship to this music and that the content of these volumes is not entirely flattering towards you, though they are nowhere near as repugnant as Kieffers shallow, priviliged appropriations and postures. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2010, 04:29 by KharBevNor »
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #158 on: 26 Nov 2010, 03:13 »

okay either respond with something that indicates you've actually put effort into backing up making the kind of really broad assertions you've made or for the last time shut the fuck up with your terrible ideas about rap TIA

kieffer, the kickback is comin out in january but in the meantime the next single off it is "kickback" which nails it

Jesus, they don't have a single mixtape? Isn't this 2010? Weak.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #159 on: 26 Nov 2010, 13:28 »

Johnny you're invalidating my experience. How dare you.

EDIT: I think that the fact that you consistently feel the need to justify your affection for various sorts of popular music by what is not in fact a reasonable argument but a sort of pseudo-academical intimidation (shotgunning out sources and naming grand-sounding theories and schools of criticism in a blustering effort to impress others with your scholarship) speaks volumes about your relationship to this music and that the content of these volumes is not entirely flattering towards you, though they are nowhere near as repugnant as Kieffers shallow, priviliged appropriations and postures. Just a thought.

hold up, this was not about my attitudes towards it, this was about you suggesting that "the vast majority of top 40 rap [is] moronic woman-hating neo-minstrel bullshit," and probably not even knowing that one of the articles i referred to that makes an effort toward refuting that or complicating it is in fact from bitch magazine. i could give a shit about whether or not people are impressed by my scholarship, but this isn't about what i know, it's about what you know, which is how to be a contrarian and very little else, at least in this regard. if you aren't a fan of rap, okay, whatever, and if you don't think the beats on top 40 are particularly hot you've got a lot of examples to choose from that would in fact prove that point. if we were just arguing about whether or not beats, rhymes, lyrics, songs &c. were any good, that'd be different.

but - to be clear - what i'm upset about, and what i think i'm perfectly justified to be upset about, is the weird moral streak that you seem to have when it comes to hip-hop. and i'm also morbidly curious about why you choose to single out rap and why you choose to make the claims you make. there's plenty of chart hip-hop released in the last few years that actively refutes the claim that top 40 stuff is inherently misogynistic (ie, for example, "best i ever had," which was in its way a dude-centric song but not particularly flattering toward said dude), and since pretty much every genre is clogged with misogyny anyways i can barely figure out why that is a critique you would exclusively choose to level at rap. the minstrelsy comment is really ugly, too, since it implies things about performer and audience that as one white dude to another i'm not sure either of us is qualified to make. but i'm not even sure what songs you would be talking about.

if you'd care to name examples – i.e. perform a kind of sourcing of your claims that is common in academia but is also pretty much expected if you're going to level claims like that in any level of adult debate – then we could have conversations about that. but you're not doing that and you don't seem interested in doing that, and then you try and fall back on a defense about i'm invalidating your relationship to the music, or another defense that implies that the reason i listen to music is because i like to perform academic autopsies on songs or something, which is equal parts vaguely offensive and super incorrect. instead of making this about me and the way i listen to music, if you're going to make a moral or political argument about music why wouldn't you just fucking back it up with some proof? especially when you're going to make an argument as broad and damning as "neo-minstrelsy."

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #160 on: 26 Nov 2010, 14:22 »

I'm singling out chart hip-hop because this thread is about chart hip-hop.

The invalidating my experience line was a joke, grow a sense of humour! You're so quick to fly off the handle these days JC, I really don't get it. Is it related to your poseurish abandonment of writing posts in proper english grammar?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #161 on: 27 Nov 2010, 01:18 »

yeah yeah listen stick to the argument at hand, which was that you single out chart hip-hop solely among genres to pick on for misogyny and i am legitimately interested in why, as opposed to picking it out in, say, metal, or indie rock where it's actually fairly prevalent

sorry that i'm calling you out on saying some bullshit but that's not really flying off the handle, that's pointing out that you're wrong and ill-informed and that you refuse to own up to it

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #162 on: 27 Nov 2010, 05:04 »

Why would I talk about metal or indie rock in a thread about hip-hop?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #163 on: 27 Nov 2010, 10:07 »

come on, you're being obtuse in an attempt to back out of what you said and it's really transparent – it's really painfully obvious that i mean you don't barge into other threads and declare their subject matter misogynistic, so it seems  a little shrill to do so here. the next thing you're probably going to say is something along the lines of how it's just an internet forum and i ought to relax or you're just trying to prod me or whatever but you said something really ignorant and frankly it's embarrassing that you won't either back up your argument or just admit that you said some ridiculous shit.

Johnny C

• Mentat

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #165 on: 28 Nov 2010, 06:03 »

it's really painfully obvious that i mean you don't barge into other threads and declare their subject matter misogynistic,

If anyone ever makes a thread about metal and declares that we can only talk about Poison, Ratt and Whitesnake then I would, in fact, be happy to make such criticisms.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #166 on: 28 Nov 2010, 06:18 »

Quote from: Gucci Mane
Me her her and her, grab her by her hair
Big girls in here, girls touchin on girls
Get her by her garter, grab her by her heels
Make her pop a pill, still let her hit the blunt till
She feels like I feel, will not just cost a lil
Climb her like a hill, these hoes are for real
Me her and her friends, they look like they twins
She so fuckin fine that I touched her up again
Told her last time she can bring her other friend
Then I lost her number never seen again
The best brain in the world, do her thing with a girl
But don't call her yo girl, or let her hang with yo girl

I am not even trying, this is literally some of the first lyrics I found.

I mean it's fine if you enjoy this shit, I guess, but don't try and make some cultural and historical studies bullshit case for it not being mass-produced, woman-hating and propagating very easy media stereotypes.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #167 on: 28 Nov 2010, 09:09 »

I think in a way you're right. As a couple of reasonably educated, white English dudes, are we really going to claim that we necessarily understand the culture which produced the lyrics you just quoted or can we accept that it's essentially alien to us to the point that our perspective can't really be trusted upon for effective criticism? I don't understand or listen to mainstream rap either but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand because I can acknowledge that the clash of cultures in this instance is severely obfuscating.

As opposed to Johnny and Kieff who are just too black, too proud.

TOO BLACK

TOO PROUD
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Professor Snuggles

Re: Swag Me The Fuck Out
« Reply #168 on: 03 Jan 2011, 12:48 »

New G-Side leaked and it's really tight.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #169 on: 03 Jan 2011, 14:10 »

I mean, is there a level of irony or sarcasm that I am completely missing, or do you seriously like this shit?  This is like Millionaires level shit.  It is not better just because there is a big black dude embarrassingly grinding out the lyrics.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #170 on: 03 Jan 2011, 14:47 »

Wait what, does Johnny like Millionaires?  I feel this is an important piece of the puzzle I am missing.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #171 on: 03 Jan 2011, 14:48 »

my google alert just went off, did someone put "johnny" and "millionaires" in the same post

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #172 on: 03 Jan 2011, 14:54 »

What is going on Johnny, why is Tommy saying these awful things, are they true?

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #173 on: 03 Jan 2011, 17:40 »

I mean, is there a level of irony or sarcasm that I am completely missing, or do you seriously like this shit?  This is like Millionaires level shit.  It is not better just because there is a big black dude embarrassingly grinding out the lyrics.

You deleted a post.

Also, we don't really benefit at all from more people saying they don't like rap music in this thread I don't think.

But if it makes all of the haters feel better the new G-Side samples Beach House.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #174 on: 03 Jan 2011, 17:41 »

Johnny I have never listened to Millionaires based on what you know about my taste do you think I would enjoy their music?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #175 on: 03 Jan 2011, 19:01 »

But if it makes all of the haters feel better the new G-Side samples Beach House.

What if I hate Beach House too, like more than I hate mainstream rap

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #176 on: 03 Jan 2011, 20:07 »

Has anybody been listening to that various OFWGKTA related albums? Especially Bastard?

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #177 on: 03 Jan 2011, 22:54 »

Yeah. They're amazing, mostly. Just saw them live a little while back, they're fucking unbelievable.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #178 on: 03 Jan 2011, 23:00 »

Posting this in both threads, because seriously listen to G-Side if you like music with beats and raps.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6jf4mr4an5n1qi6

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #179 on: 04 Jan 2011, 11:52 »

FREE WAKA
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #180 on: 04 Jan 2011, 13:22 »

What if I hate Beach House too, like more than I hate mainstream rap
then fuck you Dovey

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #181 on: 04 Jan 2011, 13:35 »

beach house kind of sucks

Somehow I manage to always confuse Beach House and Best Coast, but they both kinda suck.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #182 on: 04 Jan 2011, 14:12 »

beach house kind of sucks

fuck you also

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #183 on: 04 Jan 2011, 14:12 »

i'm flipping out and waving my arms everywhere and just pissing all over the place. look how mad i am

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #184 on: 04 Jan 2011, 14:31 »

Johnny, sometimes I think your ears are broken, but then again you make good music.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #185 on: 04 Jan 2011, 15:11 »

these estates would be nothing without beach house and bathory

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #186 on: 04 Jan 2011, 18:18 »

uhhh allhiphop is reporting that rick ross' new album title is god forgives, i don't

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #187 on: 04 Jan 2011, 18:21 »

If it is 75% as good as Teflon Don it will be 50% better than most records I heard last year.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #188 on: 04 Jan 2011, 19:47 »

uhhh allhiphop is reporting that rick ross' new album title is god forgives, i don't

Was gonna make fun of this til I remembered the name of the new Mogwai record

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #189 on: 05 Jan 2011, 01:31 »

Wait, I'm not saying that I don't like rap music.  I like rap, I just like my rappers not to be mumbling incoherently over tinny, unimaginative dross that sounds like its been recorded in a bathroom.  Like, I paid way too much money to watch a pair of 50 yr olds rapping last night, and they were still better than this new shit.

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #190 on: 05 Jan 2011, 11:34 »

The butter salesman?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #191 on: 05 Jan 2011, 11:49 »

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #192 on: 05 Jan 2011, 18:46 »

Okay seriously here is a youtube of a G-Side Track. It is ridiculously tight. It is not even close to the best song on the record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl0lCo5U1-Y

RIYL: Dirty South with a little intelligence, spacey slow beats with enough bass to fuck you up, sick flows, good music. Also like outkast or something I guess, but the earlier shit.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011, 18:49 by Professor Snuggles »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #193 on: 05 Jan 2011, 20:39 »

Oh hey this is pretty good.

In fact I'd say it's very good.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #194 on: 05 Jan 2011, 20:51 »

Yeah you should download the record.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #195 on: 05 Jan 2011, 21:56 »

Wow this is fucking great
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #196 on: 05 Jan 2011, 21:58 »

I mean I wasn't that impressed by that youtube video but it grew on me really quick once I downloaded the album.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #197 on: 06 Jan 2011, 03:20 »

Ok, that is pretty good.  Like, I wouldn't listen to it regularly, but I can actually see how someone would like it.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #198 on: 06 Jan 2011, 03:36 »

But I just went back again through each of the youtube links before that and it's all really horrid, embarrassingly bad rap over generic, bullshit beats.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #199 on: 06 Jan 2011, 03:56 »

I mean it was pretty obvious this board would like G-Side, they're just close enough to backpacker shit to appeal to people who don't want straight gangster even though they rap about cocaine and bitches.

Also est I dunno if you really can dislike all the youtubes based on beats, like, the Bryan J and travis Porter song has an awesome fucking beat to it, and so does the Earl track Sam posted. The flows on Earl are sick too.

Also also, for y'all hating on Lil B(everyone) this track is one of his best, imho, and well worth a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9HYMorqtyo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up