THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Top 40 Thread!!!!!  (Read 129277 times)

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
Re: Top 40 Thread!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: 13 Dec 2009, 01:15 »

edit: die.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #51 on: 13 Dec 2009, 01:17 »

Clarification is a beautiful thing!

tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #52 on: 13 Dec 2009, 01:21 »

I suppose the obvious answer is "don't post here" then. Touche, sir.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #53 on: 13 Dec 2009, 01:31 »

In a lot of cases, I would agree with you, Beat Mouse. Music is about having a good time, right? Except, in cases like Khar, I am near positive that Khar's musical tastes are based on nothing but what he enjoys listening to. There's a difference between elitist hipsters who are basing their music on what it is cool to like, and cool to hate, and people who just have very specific tastes in their music. And from what I can tell, Khar's tastes are not very limited at all.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #54 on: 13 Dec 2009, 01:34 »

I suppose the obvious answer is "don't post here" then. Touche, sir.

More like, don't take people ragging on music you like personally? We're all assholes but we're special assholes who like the company of other assholes.

I think?

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #55 on: 13 Dec 2009, 01:59 »

I understand that Khar is not the rudimentary troll that he likes to play. I was more inclined to post something akin to that in the rap thread that fell to similar responses, but either one would serve the same deaf ears. Being special assholes who like other assholes is just the same something I'm totally used to (especially when it comes to forums) but there's a certain extent to which it's not even worth reading when it's a slim 10% of posts that are actually talking about the unpopular topic of discussion and you have to filter through the unnecessary opposition.

Especially when the response is "if you want to talk about that shit make a thread about it" and then that thread has the same people rebuking "this thread is full of stupid shit." It's exhausting eye-twitch internet behaviour.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #56 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:08 »

. Yes, I do need to consider that the site and comic were launched as an indie-elitist haven,

what.

Man look I was a bit drunk and whatnot last night but it doesn't change the validity of what I was saying. Refusing to suck the cock of the big four record label and buy into the fake hype and marketing of their latest batch of renta-stars is not being 'elitist'. You can't say someone is an elitist because they punch above the lowest common denominator. You might as well go into the film and TV subforums and start calling people there elitists because they're not talking about Everybody Loves Raymond or Evan Almighty. You might as well go back in time to the USSR and call people elitists for reading samisdats and listening to bootleg western music rather than reading Pravda and listening to some Melodya contrived Stalinist Elvis clone. Foolishness is foolishness and that's that.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #57 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:41 »

Khar, you don't listen to arguments by people just making points on this subject and you don't listen to anything resembling theoretical intellectual arguments for mass culture engagement so let me ask you if there's anything anyone possibly could say to make you realize how much of a posturing iconoclast you're being and how most of us are actually interested in discussing Jeremih simply because we're interested in Jeremih's music? We're interested in being aware of all of the culture around us? We can have this conversation about hegemony but it's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be and so are our motives for discussing it. Flipping out like the living incarnation of the back cover of Yanqui U.X.O. isn't going to change that.

Also this is the last bit of Gaga chat I want to engage in until the next single and its accompanying (inevitably batshit) video drops but how weirdly audacious is packaging The Fame Monster with The Fame as one massive thing? It's basically Black Sheep Boy: The Definitive Edition or whatever Okkervil called it, I guess, but with Top 40. Still so weird.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #58 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:43 »

So dude did you prefer Norbitt or Big Mommas House.

Gotta be aware of and engage with all that wonderful culture.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #59 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:45 »

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry was kind of icky I thought because it had men getting married in it and that is crazy.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #60 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:49 »

Why don't you ask that question of everyone on this forum who's watched Twilight?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #61 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:49 »

Like is it somehow fucking impossible to associate with culture on several levels?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #62 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:50 »

Oh right - but there's a gap between culture and whatever it is that mindless proles associate with. My bad.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #63 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:53 »

Why don't you ask that question of everyone on this forum who's watched Twilight?

I don't get this post because the only way I can have it make sense in my head is if you think he wouldn't ask exactly that, and surely yr not implying that
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #64 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:56 »

P.S; On my "aw, isn't that cute?" scale, anti-elitists/poptimists outrank snobs 2:1

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #65 on: 13 Dec 2009, 10:00 »

Sometimes I forget that top 40 artists that are only good for remixes of their singles actually produce and release CDs.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #66 on: 13 Dec 2009, 10:04 »

You're pretty keen on deliberately misunderstanding where I'm coming from in order to make some bullshit arguments huh Johnny?

Also don't you think it's pretty intensely patronising to try and claim that Top 40 music is the genuine soundtrack of the working class when it's written by university graduates to be sung by millionaires and a huge proportion of the buying power that drives the charts comes from white middle class teenagers with high disposable income? Because I kinda do!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #67 on: 13 Dec 2009, 10:05 »

Sometimes I forget that top 40 artists that are only good for remixes of their singles actually produce and release CDs.

This statement holds true.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #68 on: 13 Dec 2009, 10:53 »

If there's anything Greg Gillis has taught me, it's I like Top 40 -- after Greg Gillis is done violating it.

Khar, you can always choose to perceive this thread as the ghetto to divert the pleebs without the musico-intellectual profundity to appreciate the music being discussed in every other thread.

But if you want to seriously engage on the subject of Top 40, why do you persist in ignoring that most would rather listen to music in order to participate in a shared social experience than an aesthetic one.  And if you can accept that, really, what else is there to discuss?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #69 on: 13 Dec 2009, 11:02 »

So you listen to music just because other people like it (based on corporate provided and manipulated sales figures)?

So if tomorrow I somehow managed to get the sound of me shoving a microphone up my arse to the top of the charts you would think that is awesome just because it is at the top of the charts?

Are you also like "MY COUNTRY RIGHT OR WRONG" and "YOU CAN'T CRITICISE THE GOVERNMENT BECAUSE THAT'S TREASON" because seriously.

Also, musico-intellectual profundity? One minute I'm getting denounced as a phillisitine because I don't think it's necessary for people to learn music theory to make music, the next I'm being slammed as a blue-blood elitist because I don't think that listening to Pussycat Dolls is somehow part of the social contract. I can't fucking win, can I?

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #70 on: 13 Dec 2009, 11:18 »

So you listen to music just because other people like it (based on corporate provided and manipulated sales figures)?

So if tomorrow I somehow managed to get the sound of me shoving a microphone up my arse to the top of the charts you would think that is awesome just because it is at the top of the charts?

Are you also like "MY COUNTRY RIGHT OR WRONG" and "YOU CAN'T CRITICISE THE GOVERNMENT BECAUSE THAT'S TREASON" because seriously.

Also, musico-intellectual profundity? One minute I'm getting denounced as a phillisitine because I don't think it's necessary for people to learn music theory to make music, the next I'm being slammed as a blue-blood elitist because I don't think that listening to Pussycat Dolls is somehow part of the social contract. I can't fucking win, can I?

You misunderstand, I'm not calling you anything.  I'm saying that if there is a thread where folks want to suck the cock of the big four record labels knowing full well what they are doing as consenting adults, they should be permitted to without recrimination.  And I'm suggesting that if you find that mentality genuinely difficult to comprehend,  you can rationalize the thread as a diversion of those with whom you brook little common ground from other threads.  Of course, if you are just spoiling for an argument for the sake of arguing....

In any event, the Paris Hilton album was more or less the aural equivalent of you shoving a microphone up your own arse, and yes it sold.  Demonstrating that plenty of folks will buy an album just because other folks are buying that album.  This phenomenon is one of great interest to media studies folks because the so-called "long tail" has failed to manifest.  In other words, the greater diversity of choice available through the internet was predicted to end the blockbuster, and it hasn't.  Instead we see a further stratification of the media market into the blockbuster and the niche product.  Why has greater choice failed to kill the blockbuster, despite the fact that logically it would provide more media products closer to the particular tastes of each individual?  Because, ultimately, a great number of folks simply want media that other people also want, so that they can discuss the media, experience it together, have a sense of belonging and common ground.

I'm not saying that this is why I, or you necessarily listen to music.  Nor am I saying that this is a necessarily worse reason to listen to music than any other.  But can you, with a straight face, deny that this is why many people who comprise the majority of the music buying population listen to music?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #71 on: 13 Dec 2009, 11:22 »

To be fair, the effect of the Internet/downloading/declining sales has greatly redefined the standards of what constitutes a "blockbuster"

(edited for clarification)
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2009, 11:34 by David_Dovey »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #72 on: 13 Dec 2009, 12:02 »

oh my such integrity

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #73 on: 13 Dec 2009, 12:17 »

I don't care what people say, the ginger one in Girl's Aloud is pretty darn fit.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #74 on: 13 Dec 2009, 12:28 »

Khar, you can always choose to perceive this thread as the ghetto to divert the pleebs without the musico-intellectual profundity to appreciate the music being discussed in every other thread.

This is a point we kind of passed over.  I think an important distinction pilsner doesn't seem to be making here is: Of course Khar wouldn't think of this thread as a ghetto for "pleebs," because as he mentioned, the Top 40 tracks or whatever of the Billboard music charts don't necessarily best represent the music that "pleebs" like and listen to.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #75 on: 13 Dec 2009, 12:35 »

what?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #76 on: 13 Dec 2009, 13:10 »

You're pretty keen on deliberately misunderstanding where I'm coming from in order to make some bullshit arguments huh Johnny?

Also don't you think it's pretty intensely patronising to try and claim that Top 40 music is the genuine soundtrack of the working class when it's written by university graduates to be sung by millionaires and a huge proportion of the buying power that drives the charts comes from white middle class teenagers with high disposable income? Because I kinda do!

asldghhasjdfjhsjgd;asdfada

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #77 on: 13 Dec 2009, 13:11 »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #78 on: 13 Dec 2009, 13:15 »

So what is the music of the "working class," whatever you mean by that?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #79 on: 13 Dec 2009, 13:17 »

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #80 on: 13 Dec 2009, 13:22 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UKvpONl3No

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #81 on: 13 Dec 2009, 13:40 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrFwtlMd0H8&feature=related
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #82 on: 13 Dec 2009, 13:48 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqylxfYyQM

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #83 on: 13 Dec 2009, 13:55 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzyzVZZfUfM
Listen to this man.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #84 on: 13 Dec 2009, 14:00 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbUfkopS8c4
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #85 on: 13 Dec 2009, 14:12 »

No, it's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcIommZjMSE

It's also really good.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #86 on: 13 Dec 2009, 14:38 »

The thing about genuine music of the working class is that to discuss it we enter a space where geography and community actually are really significant, in contrast to top 40. Which is not to say that the Tops 40 in different countries aren't different, just that the Top 40 from one place to another is generally more similar from place to place than the music of the working class.

Reed

« Reply #87 on: 13 Dec 2009, 14:43 »

I guess I'm the only one who's going for the obvious one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njG7p6CSbCU
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

tricia kidd

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #88 on: 13 Dec 2009, 14:50 »

Refusing to suck the cock of the big four record label and buy into the fake hype and marketing of their latest batch of renta-stars is not being 'elitist'. You can't say someone is an elitist because they punch above the lowest common denominator. You might as well go into the film and TV subforums and start calling people there elitists because they're not talking about Everybody Loves Raymond or Evan Almighty.

so nothing popular is ever good?  i can't enjoy The Dark Knight because it made a bazillion dollars?

it's not that i don't understand what you're saying but i don't understand how you don't understand that what you're saying is dickish and elitist.  or that you should just stay away from a thread like this.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #89 on: 13 Dec 2009, 14:53 »

i don't understand how you don't understand that what you're saying is dickish and elitist.
He does, and that's why he says it. Facetious doesn't aptly describe trolling, but it's about the best I can do at the moment.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #90 on: 13 Dec 2009, 14:55 »

It's whatever any particular person who you might define as working class feels like listening to.

What did you fucking think?

tricia kidd

« Reply #91 on: 13 Dec 2009, 14:58 »

He does, and that's why he says it. Facetious doesn't aptly describe trolling, but it's about the best I can do at the moment.

khar doesn't troll outright, in a sense he believes what he's saying has importance and relevance.

sometimes he doesn't think his arguments through very well, though.  johnny nailed it with the "living incarnation of the back cover of yanqui u.x.o" line.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #92 on: 13 Dec 2009, 15:02 »

Guys just stop replying to the shit he says and eventually he'll get bored and go vent his frustration out by punching people at metal shows.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #93 on: 13 Dec 2009, 15:09 »

johnny nailed it with the "living incarnation of the back cover of yanqui u.x.o" line.

Like the back cover of Yanqui U.X.O. is just some paranoid stuff GY!BE completely made up because they were bored!

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #94 on: 13 Dec 2009, 21:57 »

Holy shit that Jason Derulo song that samples Imogen Heap is at the top of the charts, how'd that even happen

It happened because it is fucking awesome.

My friend thinks it's a joke, that the song is awesome partially because it took this indie hipster thing and stripped it of any "soul" it may have had by electronifying it and making it a monster pop hit.

I just think it's an awesome song.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #95 on: 13 Dec 2009, 22:20 »

to be a bit fair khar im pretty sure ive heard some of the stuff isn't accurate or whatever. i dont own it though so i can't check for reference.

but also top 40 sucks and if you wanna have a thread about it thats fine but we're gonna poke fun at you for it at the bare minimum.

also scarred shhhhh you do like starfucker and you dress like this sometimes but hopefully not all the time.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #96 on: 13 Dec 2009, 22:21 »

if you dress like that all the time i am going to hate on you forever
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Reed

« Reply #97 on: 13 Dec 2009, 22:24 »

(he does and you should)
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

tricia kidd

« Reply #98 on: 13 Dec 2009, 22:36 »

Like the back cover of Yanqui U.X.O. is just some paranoid stuff GY!BE completely made up because they were bored!

no, it is fairly accurate, it's just the logical leap from "you like something on this label" to "you're sucking this label's corporate cock and that makes you a horrible person" that falls flat.  sonic youth?  major label.  should i not buy their albums because that is somehow funding the NWO?  i'm super-paranoid about that stuff but even i draw the line at some point.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #99 on: 13 Dec 2009, 22:50 »

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry was kind of icky I thought because it had men getting married in it and that is crazy.

Yeah but jessica beils ass looked hot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up