Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 26 Nov 2021, 16:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 69924 times)

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #350 on: 04 May 2011, 22:13 »

Anyone know some good Crust? Stuff like Black Breath and Darkthrone?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #351 on: 05 May 2011, 08:30 »

Would Trap Them cover this? Trap Them are insane.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #352 on: 05 May 2011, 15:27 »

Yeah Trap Them, Nails, Lebanon, The Secret, All Pigs Must Die, Disfear, Coliseum (the last two are not crusty as such but certainly would be enjoyed by fans of the aforementioned), uh pretty much anyone signed to Southern Lord recently.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2011, 15:30 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #353 on: 05 May 2011, 15:35 »

Also expect Khar in here momentarily to recommend some REAL CRUST YOU FUCKING TRENDHOPPING ASSHOLE HIPSTERS

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #354 on: 06 May 2011, 06:40 »

Yeah Trap Them, Nails, Lebanon, The Secret, All Pigs Must Die, Disfear, Coliseum (the last two are not crusty as such but certainly would be enjoyed by fans of the aforementioned), uh pretty much anyone signed to Southern Lord recently.

I still haven't gotten around to that Lebanon 7". What'd you think?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #355 on: 06 May 2011, 14:03 »

Neither have I, actually! I liked what I heard of samples on the Southern Lord site or their Myspace or whatever but I'm so, so terribly behind with new heavy music. I haven't properly listened to several of the bands on the list in my above post, actually.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #356 on: 06 May 2011, 15:44 »

recommending other bands that aren't necessarily joan of arc or joan of arc related is okay too

They have so much pap but it seems like everybody likes and dislikes their stuff on an individual basis. I still don't recommend them to people because of this. Good live band, always interesting on record but so wildly inconsistent. I think I basically like all of their records on some level so I guess I should be able to advise you. Firstly I think the Owls record and all three Make Believe records (and the self-titled EP) are better than anything Joan of Arc have put out over the years. However, as great as those are they are all mathy rock music, which is subtly different to the recorded output of Joan of Arc. You might also enjoy Ghosts & Vodka, the instrumental band featuring two guitarists who played in Joan of Arc at various times.

In terms of JOA themselves they basically started as an emocore band with some electronic samples thrown in. This is basically the template of the first two records (lots of people seem to rate these very highly, I think they're pretty good). The third record confusingly titled Joan of Arc Live In Chicago 1999 ("Live" rhymes with "Give") is arguably the turning point in terms of their sound. They started to incorporate many more different electronic textures and different instruments. There are some nice little jams on this record and for many people it's the last of their brief, relatively approachable albums. By comparison, the next few were basically regarded as either bold or the some of the worst music ever recorded. In truth it sort of strays between the two. First of all is The Gap, which might be the most polarising record ever. On the one hand, they basically abandoned songs in favour of long, meandering and occasionally tuneless vignettes. Each "song" has one hundred or so tracks so it's quite a hard listen. After many, many years I finally warmed to it but it's more of a statement than a music record. Likewise there is an EP from around the same time which has a couple of their best songs but also contains bizarre recordings of children and seemingly random sound-scapes.

Those records were so hated that Joan of Arc was briefly abandoned. Lead songwriter Tim Kinsella wrote and recorded a solo album with the incredible title So Much For Staying Alive, which was supposed to be his tribute to My Bloody Valentine (hence the alternative title Lovelessness) but sounds nothing like them. It's an interesting batch of guitar-based singer-songwriter tunes though and some people on this forum seem to rate it. More interesting is the partner album In Rape Fantasy And Terror Sex We Trust, Kinsella's nightmarish response to the incoming Bush administration. Lots of weird sound collages and a handful of decent songs courtesy of some other musicians who would form the new line-up of Joan of Arc. This line-up produced the surprisingly good return to form Joan of Arc, Dick Cheney, Mark Twain, an eclectic group of deeply paranoid and abstract protest songs featuring all manner of weird instrumentation. The same group produced the largely acoustic Eventually, All At Once which never clicked with me but seems to be well regarded. After that it seems like you're basically up to date.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #357 on: 07 May 2011, 21:19 »

Khaaarrrr recommend me crust

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #358 on: 07 May 2011, 21:20 »

though I  will go check out the stuff you mentioned right now dovey

Mein Tumblr

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #359 on: 08 May 2011, 08:29 »

Can I recommend Crass and The Ex?

I don't think they qualify but their early work is great no-fi punk rock.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #360 on: 08 May 2011, 09:15 »

Amebix!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #361 on: 08 May 2011, 10:06 »

Amebix!

Hahahaha no but seriously folks

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #362 on: 08 May 2011, 10:18 »

I used to think Crass WERE crust, but it's just because crusties like Crass.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #363 on: 04 Aug 2011, 09:32 »

What about the Sonic Youth?

godspeed

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #364 on: 08 Aug 2011, 13:08 »

Most accessible are Dirty and Rather Ripped.
Then proceed to Daydream Nation, their often considered magnum opus
From there I think you have two paths, either pre-DDN or post. I think their sound really changes in that time.
Do not listen to Goo, the band was in a bad place and they really were being pushed around by their new major label.
The Eternal is their newest and most generic, so I wouldnt really look at that.
Washing Machine is great, and the finale to it, The Diamond Sea, is probably their best song they ever recorded

JayJayD

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #365 on: 30 Sep 2011, 13:31 »

I would start with Daydream Nation, really their best, maybe one of the best albums ever.
I have to contradict godspeed, Goo isn't at all bad, it has my favourite SY song Tunic (Song for Karen).
I would also recommend Sonic Nurse, and in particular the underrated A Thousand Leaves.

And check out some of their more abstract, instrumental stuff, aka the SYR series.
The latest "Simon Werner a disparu" is probably the closest they've ever come to post-rock.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up