THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 19:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 903676 times)

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
Re: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #1500 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:10 »

I am now waiting to board the shuttle.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1501 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:16 »

Actually, it would be awesome to get married in space.

Blog thread, who wants to come clean and pack my room? I certainly do not wish to do so.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1502 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:18 »

Harry I will marry you and then we can not invite any of those so-called friends
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1503 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:50 »

I want to be a bridesmaid!
Or a best man, I just don't want to set my sights too high and get shot down.

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1504 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:19 »

I know I don't visit this thread much and I'm not a particularly prolific poster, but my mom's in the hospital.

:|

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #1505 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:28 »

I get home for spring break to find out that my great grandmother passed away and my cat's sick with a kidney disease that has put him into a dangerously low weight.

:(

I knew my great grandmother was sick, but no one called or emailed or contacted me to tell me she was getting worse. 
And, now my cat needs to be on a special diet and I have to give him a special pill two times a day.  I hope he gets better
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #1506 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:04 »

man that is a double bummer
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1507 on: 29 Mar 2010, 13:38 »

I'm really sorry to hear about that, guys. Keep us updated? Theriandos, what is your mom in the hospital about? Isaiah, were you and your grandma close? I'm sorry.

Blog Thread, I need help wording a paragraph for the venue of the place I'm hosting this charity event. It's for a page about what we need from them. Basically, I want to have a paragraph about how they are part of our team now, and we are really glad to have them, but as a team member they need to do their part and help out their team in making sure things run smoothly(By allowing us access to the PA system, and providing us with tables, and letting us put up signs, etc). I have a list of things we need from them already written up(Really, it's nothing they should be hard pressed to do. It's all very basic stuff.) All the "you're part of our team!" is just feel good motivatey stuff. I just really need to figure out how to put it into a nice paragraph, without sounding too much like a jerk.

Ok, here is what I've got so far. I wrote one and my boyfriend wrote the other.

Mine: "We are so glad to have Maggie O’Brien’s as part of our team for this event! As with every team, in order for things to run smoothly, everyone needs to do their part. Here are some of the things we’d like Maggie O’Brien’s to help us out with::

His: "It is our sincere hope that the Wishlist Foundation and Maggie O'Brien's team can seamlessly work together to make this a successful event that will be fun and profitable for both organizations. The Wishlist Foundation would appreciate the support of Maggie O'Brien's in ensuring that the event runs as smoothly as possible. In order to ensure that this happens, a list of requests follows:"

His is more put together, and professional. Mine is half assed, but friendlier. My mom feels like his is sort of condescending. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 13:49 by Emaline »
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1508 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:27 »

I kinda liked his better, I think, I'm not really seeing the condescension. But I guess it also depends a little bit on what kind of place Maggie O'Brien's is.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1509 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:34 »

I like some combination of the two.  Something like:

"We are so glad to have Maggie O’Brien’s as part of our team for this event!  The Wishlist foundation is confident that our team and the Maggie O'Brien team can work seamlessly together to make it successful, fun, and profitable for both organizations. In order to ensure that everything runs smoothly, however, we would appreciate your cooperation with a few requests:"

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ¡Viva la revolución!
« Reply #1510 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:39 »

I like some combination of the two.  Something like:

"We are so glad to have Maggie O’Brien’s as part of our team for this event!. The Wishlist foundation is confident that our team and the Maggie O'Brien team can work seamlessly together to make it successful, fun, and profitable for both organizations. In order to ensure that everything runs smoothly, however, we would appreciate your cooperation with a few requests:"

It sounds like business correspondence, so best no exclamation points I think.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1511 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:49 »

I disagree.  Charity correspondence tends to be loaded with exclamation points (for example, I count six exclamation points on The Wishlist Foundation's main page).  And I actually think it adds sincerity to the message.  I mean, I'm sure you'll be thanking them a ton in all kinds of other places.  But the exclamation point says, "the important part of this message is the part where we're thanking you for your help"--whereas the extremely distanced business "professional" prose says, "the format of this kind of message dictates that we thank you at the beginning of it."

All I'm saying is that if I were working/volunteering on the Maggie O'Brien team, I'd probably appreciate a single, well-placed exclamation point.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1512 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:56 »

Maggie O'Brien's is a pub. The event we are holding is a pre-show party for a Pearl Jam concert, there will be a silent auction and a raffle. I don't know, I prefer things be pretty casual, but maybe that is wrong and terrible. This is just a letter I am going to drop off with them in a packet with a few other things.

Elizzybeth, I really really like your version! And I think exclamation points in something like this is important to. It sorta says "We do actually care about you, and are super glad you are helping us out! Thank you so much!"
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1513 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:36 »

I did this wrestling/race thing today and it took 4 guys to bring me to a complete halt. woooooo

Theriandros and Isaiah, that really blows and I don't know what else to say.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

yellowfoliage

• it's THE aspect
« Reply #1514 on: 29 Mar 2010, 17:21 »

Dear Blog Thread,

I went out to see the Rocky Horror Picture show this weekend, only to find that the booking had changed to They Live. I was disappointed but decided to stay, and I'm glad I did because that movie turned out to be tons o' fun.

Also, went to Build-A-Bear for the first time with my fiance to get her a Hello Kitty. It was super fun (the joy radiating off that place is infectious) but I felt kinda bad because they were closing as we were checking out and they turned away a family with five little children, three of whom gave us the sad eyes as they watched us print out the Kitty's birth certificate through the plate glass window.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1515 on: 29 Mar 2010, 19:30 »

So last night a good friend of mine had a party for the volunteers who had helped with a conference she ran over the weekend. During the conference I hosted some attendees at my place, so I was invited, with my roommates, to the party. The conference had been given a bunch more money last minute from the dean of Science at McGill, and since the conference was already pretty well budgeted, a lot of that money went towards party alcohol - beer, wine, and rum (yuck) All the free beer meant I got far, far more drunk than I really should have on a Sunday night. The fact that the wine was made into sangria didn't help matters at all. The level of drunk meant that I ended up making out with one of my best friends in a bathtub. At least three other completely unexpected hookups happened between my friends. Basically, ridiculous.

Today was a slow day as a result. Read a bunch, went for lunch with my roommate, played chess with a friend, and I think I'm going to watch Modern Times soon. After last night I think taking it slow for a few days is a good bet.

yellowfoliage

• it's THE aspect
« Reply #1516 on: 29 Mar 2010, 19:44 »

Modern Times is awesome, you should do that.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1517 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:51 »

You should definitely watch Modern Times. Charlie Chaplin is a dick, but he's a funny dick.

Blaggy,

I destroyed my foosball table today because it was falling apart anyways. I more or less dismantled it with an allen wrench and a hammer, and I thought I could just yank the bars out but the players stopped me. They kept getting in my way so I had to beat off like 25 of the little guys before I could get on with what I was doing. Yay violence!

And the pool table is shot - it's warped, so you shoot the ball and it's like curving around other balls and taking really weird paths. Thinking about turning it into a ping pong table. Is this a good idea? Yes, yes it is.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1518 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:54 »

I had to beat off like 25 of the little guys before I could get on with what I was doing

This phrase, it does not mean what you think it means.

Theriandros

« Reply #1519 on: 30 Mar 2010, 08:53 »

Yay for scary symptoms that aren't actually highly dangerous!

Long story shortened: My mom lost her short term memory for several hours, to the point that she was basically asking the same questions every five minutes. My dad took her to the hospital where they checked her out, thinking that this could be connected to a stroke. Turns out there was no strokes or funny stuff going on in the brain and it was diagnosed as TGA, transient global amnesia.

Medical link thing: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1160964-overview

Main theory says that it's related to blood flow in the brain, and the neurologist suspects it's just the effect of going cold-turkey on a drug that had been giving her extremely elevated blood pressure (essentially adding about 60 points to both pressure).

tl;dr version: She's OK, everybody!

Should be getting out of the hospital today.  :-D

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1520 on: 30 Mar 2010, 09:01 »

My mom took my older cat (who is 14) to the vet while I was in Boston because he's been acting a little strange (he wasn't eating much and was hiding behind the couch a lot) and he needed a check up anyways. Turns out he's got periodontal disease, which pretty much means his mouth has been causing him a lot of pain, and also his blood count is a little lower than usual. We got medicine to help with the infection and switched his food so he can eat something, but he's still hiding behind furniture, so we've decided to isolate my younger cat from him, because we think he's hiding because they don't get along and he's in too much pain to fight back right now. This sucks. I've had him since I was 10, I don't like watching him go through this. :c
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1521 on: 30 Mar 2010, 09:26 »

Today is my first day of work. Yesterday, I woke up puking, because I was so stressed about today. My alarm went off, and I had to lay still in bed trying to calm the fuck down enough to tell my boyfriend to turn it off(it's on his side of the bed, and was actually for him to go to work). But before I could actually calm down, my stomach decided it was time to vomit. Now I feel like that might happen and I can't figure out how to calm down and I need to eat before leaving, and ;sdjfjadsfjdaskfj;

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1522 on: 31 Mar 2010, 09:52 »

I am mailing transcripts. Fuck, I'm going back to college. Agh.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
« Reply #1523 on: 31 Mar 2010, 13:48 »

Wooo in Sweden. Been good so far. Had some great food and watched amusing Swedish television (amusing because I had no idea what was going on). Visited a massive off-license to get some schnapps  :-D
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1524 on: 31 Mar 2010, 14:23 »

Today is my first day of work. Yesterday, I woke up puking, because I was so stressed about today. My alarm went off, and I had to lay still in bed trying to calm the fuck down enough to tell my boyfriend to turn it off(it's on his side of the bed, and was actually for him to go to work). But before I could actually calm down, my stomach decided it was time to vomit. Now I feel like that might happen and I can't figure out how to calm down and I need to eat before leaving, and ;sdjfjadsfjdaskfj;

You have my sympathies and a heart-felt rendition of 'you are not alone'.

Except my alarm clock is my girlfriend.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #1525 on: 31 Mar 2010, 14:44 »

Today my family business had to lay another employee off. We are down to 4. Only one person who works here isn't part of the family. FEAR.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #1526 on: 31 Mar 2010, 16:05 »

Apparently, I have fan girls at my school.

Love,
Anthony
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1527 on: 31 Mar 2010, 17:47 »

I played ping pong today on a table five feet long and two feet wide.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1528 on: 31 Mar 2010, 17:49 »

Except my alarm clock is my girlfriend.

Aw dude ew you fucked an alarm clock ew how do you even do that ewww

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #1529 on: 01 Apr 2010, 01:29 »

Blog thread, every day I gain a little more respect for my new boss.

After going on a major rant yesterday in the weirdest co-worker thread about a lying and fraudulent coworker, she and her boss ended up calling me yesterday afternoon where she went on and on about the processes 'she created' and papers that 'she wrote'.   So I emailed my boss both the original documents and the ones she claims are hers and told him that though I may have had the good graces not to call her a liar to her face I was having a really hard time supporting her.   He comes back several hours later in an email that includes the team I'm on, her, and her boss with the two original documents attached.  He says some stuff about how he appreciates her attempts to liberate and repurpose documents found on the internet (see attached) but they're not quite what we need.  Then he continues to go on and lay out a whole big plan about what we do need to do.

So now her boss has proof she's a plagiarist.  I haven't totally gone off on her in public --which is something I was getting very close to doing-- and she's hopefully been shamed a little bit.   It ain't exactly a solution, but it's a step, and done far more tactfully than I'm capable of right now.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1530 on: 01 Apr 2010, 02:02 »

over the past five hours i have engaged in some of the worst decision making of my life

I am glad I am home in my bed and I have my pants.

jesus fuck

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1531 on: 01 Apr 2010, 05:17 »

Mamacat is popping babies out! Right now!
The first one is stillborn and I have no idea what to do with it:(
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1532 on: 01 Apr 2010, 05:21 »

D: Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1533 on: 01 Apr 2010, 05:48 »

Sorry to hear.
Wrap it up well, and bury it immediately, is what I'd do.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1534 on: 01 Apr 2010, 05:56 »

2 and 3!! 2 is alive and squeaking and adorable, 3 is still like his brother:(
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1535 on: 01 Apr 2010, 06:51 »

Aaand (probably) final count lands at 2 live, 2 still. Baby 4 is a little weaker than 2, so we'll see :/

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1536 on: 01 Apr 2010, 08:42 »

Cook the stillborns and feed them to the other ones to make them stronger.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1537 on: 01 Apr 2010, 08:46 »

Now that you have two, you can make slippers.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1538 on: 01 Apr 2010, 08:47 »

Look, don't judge me. None of us are getting to heaven.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1539 on: 01 Apr 2010, 08:48 »

Theriandros

« Reply #1540 on: 01 Apr 2010, 08:53 »

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #1541 on: 01 Apr 2010, 11:53 »

If this is the way we're going to play the game today, I'm going to use the most despicable quote I've ever seen. Mind you, I didn't say or write this.

"Your poison womb is making heaven too crowded."

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1542 on: 01 Apr 2010, 17:22 »

I just applied for seven au pair jobs. It is now almost 2am so I think I might go to bed and get some rest in anticipation of the floods of job offers I'm bound to get.

Slight problem: the only person who would be able to give me a directly related reference speaks almost no English and I haven't been in contact with them for over a year.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1543 on: 01 Apr 2010, 19:05 »

I just googled au pair because for the longest time I thought it was something dirty and sex related and now I am super disappointed.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #1544 on: 01 Apr 2010, 22:21 »

So I'm taking a road trip to Ochi Rios, for Ochi Weekend (Easter weekend, parties every night, including Beach J'ouvert) and I CAN'T GET IN TOUCH WITH MY RIIIIIIIIDE ASADHSGDHASGDHG3YI2EBHKL
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1545 on: 02 Apr 2010, 11:46 »

I got my first reply - apparently "the au pair arrangement is a cultural exchange programme and so [they] are not able to offer an au pair position to a British citizen". Well, put that in the advert then, moron.

:( I am going to spend three and a half months playing Flash games and eating too much.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1546 on: 02 Apr 2010, 13:34 »

Well, at least it's not warcraft.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #1547 on: 02 Apr 2010, 13:38 »

Yeah, it's a cultural exchange program where you don't get paid shit to let Mommy and Daddy lead their lives as though little Johnny was never born for an entire year.   In days gone by we called it indentured servitude. 

Come to think of it, that's not a bad deal for a busy dad like myself.  It's not much more than I'm paying a sitter now and I don't have to worry every time that I'm caught in traffic.  Maybe I need an au pair.  Who wants to spend a year on the Virginia side of Washington D.C.?

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1548 on: 02 Apr 2010, 13:43 »

Don't au pairs typically get room and board, however?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 81   Go Up