THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mass Effect 2 Après Jeu Game Discussion Thread (with spoilers!!!)  (Read 84482 times)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

It's not super important, outside choices made during the Missions such as what you do to the Rachni (Illium -> Foreshadowing). Your actions in the Assignments can lead to tiny references in news casts and people you see around the place but nothing all that important. The only useful thing you can get carried over are funds and experience but there's already plenty of that in ME2.

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce

I just bought this (late to the partey!), and I'm wondering how important it is that I did all the small sidequest things in the first one. Like got all the stuff etc. I remember what main quest things I did, and I know there's a thing that allows me to input that, but I don't have the save for the rest. Should I replay the first one for full enjoyment (I've thought of doing it anyways), or should I just go the standard route?
Really not that much.  Some of the side quests or decisions attached to the main quests (spoiler: such as saving that lady who was being cloned by the Thorian or killing her) may lead to more quests or more dialogue.  Otherwise, nothing.

Only side-quest doing that really stuck out for me was an extra line of dialogue after recruiting Archangel if you had done the Cerberus questline in ME1.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Did anyone else find it incredibly disappointing how small the impact ME1 had on ME2? I mean, I didn't expect the fate of the galaxy to depend on the Udina vs. Anderson choice in the first game, but a unique quest line or two would have been more appropriate for the people who carried over their characters, considering the amount of time everyone put in ME1. Hell, I would have been satisfied with just one appearance of the Destiny Ascension in the second game for those who opted to save it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

The trick for Bioware's always been keeping the tightest control possible on game narrative (primarily through strict segmentation into clearly defined acts) while promising lots of "choice", but it doesn't really hold up over the long term. Worst case scenario is Dragon Age, where many different possible endings were presented for the first game but the direct sequel (DA3, since DA2 is more of a New Vegas-esque side story) will proceed under an official canon ending that only a fraction of players chose, effectively invalidating all other choices. Best case scenario is something like KOTOR2, which changes the game in interesting ways depending on the preceding game's choices but overall doesn't dwell on the first game too much. Somewhere in between is something like Deus Ex: Invisible War, which combined three possible endings of Deus Ex into one big incoherent one.

I'm hopeful but I fully expect ME3 to integrate most choices into emails and short convos / overheard banter, or resolve them offscreen (Destiny Ascension destroyed by Reapers far away from Shepard). It's less likely they'd "waste" resources on cinematics and content that a fraction of players will see. It's their explicit philosophy with DA2.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

You could also do what Bethesda did with Daggerfall - official lore is that all of the different endings happened at once, makeing a hole in the space time continuum and ripping reality appart for a little while.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

i think you guys are maybe underselling the way that minute decisions affect the tenor of the game world. you let the council die? you don't see the council. you let them live? you do. one cutscene, but a cutscene that when you're playing it makes a ton of difference. same diff with wrex. and having certain areas populated differently is just as interesting, since it creates a sense of continuity. the big picture is the same, sure, but like mass effect isn't a game where the cool stuff happens in the big picture.

they pulled it off in mass effect 2, i stick by that. i'm i guess a dude who thinks that the experience of a text is fairly important, and the experience may only be subtly different between a renegade and a paragon playthrough in terms of what you import but i'd argue that those differences do, in fact, matter. and if the decisions you make in mass effect 3 have a subtle effect on the game? so long as it creates an interesting story, then good. frankly, if – for example – they do kill off the council in me3, well, that wouldn't have happened to a different shepard. and so that matters.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

When I first got ME2, I played through without a save to see what they decided was canon. It was pretty bleak, you guys.

ackblom12

I am definitely down with JC on this. All of those small things make a big difference in the feel of the world for me. I don't need it to make a massive difference in the overall story for me to enjoy the small changes, and some not so small, that are made

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Yeah, a fresh playthrough with a brand new character in ME2 even has a radically different tone vs. my paragon carry-over. I thought it was pretty well done.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.

Worst case scenario is Dragon Age, where many different possible endings were presented for the first game but the direct sequel (DA3, since DA2 is more of a New Vegas-esque side story) will proceed under an official canon ending that only a fraction of players chose, effectively invalidating all other choices.

Erm, have you got a source for this?

I'm on Biowares newletter, last I heard they hadn't released any official info and it's just internet rumour (though a decently reasoned one, in fairness) that the third game focuses on Morrigan.

Bioware's official statement on the matter has been that the focus of the Dragon Age series is the Dragon Age itself, not any particular hero and the offical statement on the Warden/Warden Commander is that their story/stories is/are over.

They could go anywhere in DA3, do literally whatever they liked with it.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.

See I think the joking tone fit's that scene better. It's like there going to have a full blown conversation in sarcasm.

Shepard: We'll have to give her a name
Joker: Really? Well whatever shall we call her.
Shepard: I have no idea. I'm sure we'll think of something.

Just me?

Yeah, I mean, that works, but I like to think of it as something carrying an emotional weight like any sort of reunion. But like anything hey look personal opinions are personal guys we're cool

It's only ever said when Shep picks up an upgrade, credits, a weapon or heavy ammo. Some conversations/events result in receiving a reward that may have a delayed reaction. It happened to me a number of times when I played it again last month.

It's just that she virtually yells it.

Or says it very loudly and stoically to no-one in particular

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games

:psyduck:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!  I got the Shadowbroker DLC and played it last night.

My mind is fucking blown.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

There's still one more DLC on the way.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

I guess it's called Arrival

In other news, still trying to work out why I can't play Lair of the Shadowbroker

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff

I aborted a giant robot fetus.

AWESOME.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

*SORTA SPOILERS AHEAD?!?*

So here's a thing I learned - in the most recent ME book, bridging the time between ME2 and ME3, Commander Anderson quits the council, joins up with the Turians and goes Rambo on Cerberus. Towards the end, he swears vendetta on all Cerberus, including Shepard, apparently.

So I don't know how or if this will only affect the renegade "canon" storyline but it's apparent that no matter what you chose in ME1 or ME2, Udina is Councilman in ME3.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

That seems silly.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom

I dunno if the ending from that book will be brought into ME3 though, I remember the premise of it was based around Cerberus getting their hands on Collector/Reaper technology because Shepard didn't destroy the Collector base.

So I guess maybe all that stuff happens only if you chose not to destroy it at the end of ME2?  And destroying it would lead to a completely different situation at the start of ME3?

But then they would have to explain everything that happened between the two games at ME3's outset, for the benefit of those who didn't read their awful book series (or destroy the Collector base).  Maybe they have a way of doing it that is much more clever than presenting a bunch of exposition?  I don't know, but I think it would be simpler to keep the books and games separate.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

*Spoiler without context*
If you save the collector base then are you still apart of Cerberus? 'cause I destroyed it and I know shepard and miranda are no longer apart of Cerberus. Hell the EM seemed so pissed that he would want to hunt me down.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Yeah that's just one of the things (Anderson specifically calls out Shepard as Cerberus-aligned in the novel). It's weird because the canon ME1->ME2 canon plot has Udina as councilor, whereas the book bridging ME2->ME3 has Anderson as councilor.

In any event, the people who write Bio's official fiction (and most official fiction) are terrible, and their work should have as little affect as possible on the games and their developments. We can hope.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.

*Spoiler without context*
If you save the collector base then are you still apart of Cerberus? 'cause I destroyed it and I know shepard and miranda are no longer apart of Cerberus. Hell the EM seemed so pissed that he would want to hunt me down.

*moar spoiler*

Regardless of which option you chose for the Collector base, I believe that Shepard quits working for The Illusive Man (and by that extension, Cerberus) after they have their talk.

Johnny C

• Mentat

nope! my renegade shep was totally cold chillin with the illusive man at the end. leaving cerberus is a paragon option but you don't need to do it in order to keep the station.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.

oh okay

Because I remember doing two playthroughs where I didn't blow up the station and then I did the 2nd time around and I left him on both counts

Interesting that the outcomes are independent on each other. Or at the very least, interesting that you can still stay with the Illusive Man after you've blown the base up. Or can you? I guess it makes sense that a renegade Shep can stick with Cerberus. What about hte other way around?

Johnny C

• Mentat

no i think blowing it up is a guaranteed cerberus exit

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.

Alright, glad we got that cleared up. The Illusive Man was always obviously a Cerberus salesman, only he marketed stuff to dangle Shepard on his puppet-strings and his profits was "Humans Win Over Everything Else In This Galaxy".

The moment the renegade ending had him smilling evilly at the holo of the Collector Base I thought "gee Bioware thanks for the subtle hint that I might have done something wrong here"

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Good to hear that they fixed the only thing holding ME2 down from greatness (lack of Lance Henriksen)
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games

Good to hear that they fixed the only thing holding ME2 down from greatness (lack of Lance Henriksen)
It's scary that I thought something similar when I read that story.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Ascension is apparently (?) out.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat

arrival you mean?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Yes, that
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.

Pretty neat follow-up to ME3. Only gripe is that the combat is very much near one continuous corridor of shooting and being forced to go solo feels strange.

Lots of little things in the DLC were interesting to see in the game but should perhaps have been expanded on a little more. I would expand on that point but I CAN'T POST SPOILER TAGS FOR SOME REASON  :psyduck:

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES

You can just make the text really small instead.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

You can't, actually. Size 2 is normal, size 1 is slightly smaller, but you can't go below 1.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat

just do size=4pt like this

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

When did we institute the "pt" thing?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

The 'pt' thing is there when you click on the font size button in the edit bar.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Eff that noise hand-type coding erryday
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.

Well okay I guess what I was TRYING TO SAY was that at some point in the DLC they attempted to add an element of a solo stealth segment to the game which, afaik isn't usually what the gameplay is about and and I found that an interesting approach to the mechanics

And also a jailbreak segment, both of which had a bit of potential and should have been expanded on imo.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

Good lord, my wait for Lair of the Shadow Broker was well worth it, IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME.

I especially love Liara's little base.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games

Good lord, my wait for Lair of the Shadow Broker was well worth it, IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME.

I especially love Liara's little base.

I'm still amazed at how good it was.   :-D

My blog

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Don't ever say UE3 never made anything good.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.

The best ones are the smiles that aren't humanoid

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Also I can't believe nobody told me that the Krogan/Asari matriarch on Illium is Liara's father.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

What? Really? I've never heard that.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Me neither, was that in the Shadow Broker DLC? It seems highly unlikely.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Yeah, there's a video feed of the character sitting at a table with a drink just gazing at a picture of her.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

Shepard went back in time and became his own grandfather too. You guys miss out on so much.

edit You can see what kvp is talking about halfway through here. I don't think it means she's her father though.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2011, 13:09 by JD »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up