Horror
Fantasy
Western
Historical
Sci-Fi
Modern
Mystery

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's make a Game Design Doc, guys!  (Read 30049 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Let's make a Game Design Doc, guys!
« Reply #100 on: 08 Mar 2010, 10:56 »

Also, it's too bad that you fucks voted for horror. We could have made a cheesy outlaw themed turn-based strategy RPG with recruitment options. The goal would be to assemble your gang, rob shit, get away, fight rival gangs, (the turn based stuff) get drunk, hire hookers, and ultimately die of syph, cirrhosis or tuberculosis (these could all be mini games). Sort of a Pirates! meets Fallout Tactics or Jagged Alliance kind of deal, except travel would have been an homage to Oregon Trail instead of a pirate ship. Instead, you guys are shitting things up with your surrealism and plots and shit.

Nobody said it had to be both. Hey, wait a minute, I thought the poll was closed with Horror and Western having 5 votes each?

Your idea sounds like mad fun. Maybe Sid Meier wants to work on Cowboys! next?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #101 on: 08 Mar 2010, 11:33 »

My idea of a horror/western RPG:

You play an aged ex-vigilante, tormented by his own violent past. His dreams - when he could sleep at all - provided no solace, reliving each of the four murders he had committed in the past- honourless murders that he undertook in the dead of night for nothing more than a bit of cash, pulling the trigger before the victim had even awoken.

The game starts in the eleventh year of his life sentence. Withered and deathly ill, one morning he wakes up to find that he is alone in the prison. The game goes on from there, and as the plot is slowly uncovered, the player realizes that he has slipped into some kind of fever dream*, a disturbing nightmare world populated only by people had wronged in his life.

*maybe gone into a coma?

The first level/part involves escaping the prison, the next four 'levels' involve confronting the four people he had murdered, trekking through his increasingly demented psyche to find each one in order of the guilt he feels about them (ie. the first is just a murderous gunslinger, and the last a teenage girl). He expects to have to fight them, but they end up helping him, or at the very least pushing him towards a further goal.  

I figure the scenery and the artwork would get progressively surreal and disturbing as the game went on, from basically realistic in the prison to incredibly fucked up towards the end. Each victims level would be representative of the environment in which they lived, and their personality, etc. Throughout the game there would probably be cutscenes of him writhing on a bed or something, a reminder of the real life player character as he struggles with the illness, as the dream/nightmare version of the character works through the nightmare (the game).

As the game goes on, he realizes the only way to escape the hellish dreamworld is to somehow right the wrongs of his life. Later on in the game, after the fourth victim has 'helped' him, and he puts all their clues together it becomes apparent that the grand overarching antagonist, the 'villain' trying to impede his progress is actually himself, and that his journey leads to a confrontation with himself. At the very end of the game, when he confronts himself, he ends up killing this alternate version of himself (whether through dialogue or through combat, a la Fallout or PS:T depends on the player) and in doing so releases himself from the dream world. It turns out, however, that by killing the alternate him in the dreamworld , that the real him, the version who had succumbed to illness and gone into a coma was killed as well.

The last scene would probably be a 'flashback' to the bit of the game where he discovered that to escape the dreamworld he had to right the wrongs of his life - implying that killing himself was how the wrongs had to be righted.

[EDIT]  I realize this doesn't really say much about how it's a western... my idea was that all the characters populating the game (the people he had wronged, as well as the player character himself) would all be from the western setting, and that many of their individual conflicts (the wrongs he had done to them) with the PC would generally be related to the harsh ways of life on the frontier. The settings would also be western inspired (ie. I see the level for the gunslinger to be like the Max Payne drug level, but based around a saloon).

This sounds like an interesting game.  I was thinking something like this, except the main character was actually going insane.  The players are led to believe something is wrong with the town and monsters are just appearing as he's trying to escape.  In actuality, the protagonist is actually killing everyone in the large town and is feared and regarded as a serial killer.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #102 on: 08 Mar 2010, 11:49 »

I want the main character to have really big mutton chops.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #103 on: 08 Mar 2010, 15:25 »

I'm not closing the poll because Its reusable, but so far as I'm concerned voting has ended, lurkers are probably just coming through and voting or something. The game doesn't have to be horror. It can be horror, or western, or both. I would personally prefer both, but its not my call. Also I see a lot of people coming up with ideas but I don't have anyone else seconding them. I'm not making a new poll until we have like, 5 ideas that have been seconded by someone. What the shit people. Read the damn OP, which I've been editing this whole time.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #104 on: 09 Mar 2010, 10:29 »

Alright . . a few sentences :

Taking place in a larger western city, the protagonist prisoner is held in the city jail for years.  He escapes one day to find the entire town has been overtaken by zombie-like (smarter) creatures, horrors, and maybe demons (he's not sure what they are).  He follows a mix of clues that lead him through the town until the end of the game, when he finds out that he is clinically insane.  All the horrors are actually people, and he's actually seen as a serial killer.  The protagonist kills himself, screen fades to black.

Expanding upon this :  As the character grows more insane (as the taint spreads throughout the city as the player will view it), buildings begin to morph into gothic like western structures, pulse, and are just creepy in general.  Maybe there are a few close town together to aid with story development (obviously the player can't talk to people in the given town he is in most cases).
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2010, 10:42 by DavidGrohl »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up