Think of it: 1 billion Yaoi pictures!
- 13 (23.6%)
Keeping your pancakes warm
- 14 (25.5%)
Warming up pancakes
- 7 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT March 1-5, 2010  (Read 71168 times)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
Re: WCT March 1-5, 2010
« Reply #250 on: 05 Mar 2010, 18:56 »

Faye doesn't not like Marigold, she's just hard on people she doesn't know well. 

That could very well be true.  I just get the distinct impression that there's something about everyone which absolutely pisses Faye off
Fixed.

Which, of course, really means there's something about Faye that pisses Faye off. Everyone else is simply a mirror. And there's been a fair amount of defending of Faye, too, because she's got issues.

As I write this, it occurs to me that she might be jealous.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #251 on: 05 Mar 2010, 19:08 »

Good point -- consider the number of times Faye has called herself a "bitch".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #252 on: 05 Mar 2010, 19:27 »

Good point -- consider the number of times Faye has called herself a "bitch".

Starting here, I believe! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #253 on: 05 Mar 2010, 20:03 »

I'm afraid I have a lack of comprehension as to what a death metal latte would consist of.
Hmmm... Surely if you're really metal, you wouldn't drink latte at all. Milk dilution is for the weak!
Milk helps with the throat pain from growls, and extra calcium means more time in the pit and less in the hospital.

Please tell me someone at least got what I was saying, though. Maybe I didn't make it quite as groan-worthy as I meant it to be.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #254 on: 05 Mar 2010, 20:38 »

Milk helps with the throat pain from growls, and extra calcium means more time in the pit and less in the hospital.

It does a body good! 

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #255 on: 05 Mar 2010, 21:29 »

I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet...

What. Is. Faye. Wearing?

I can't recognize it. It's neither black nor pastel. It's adorned with neither words nor pictures. Is it even a reference to a band of any description? Is it an homage to the Beatles White Album? I just don't get it.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #256 on: 05 Mar 2010, 21:44 »

So apparently I was the only one who heard the Debbie Downer sound effect after Marigold's final line.   :|

Faye's bringing her standard level o' snark, so I don't think she was trying to single Marigold out, but it does look like she'll be dialing it back a bit, given the response.  Thing is, if Marigold would just start treating the gang like her guildmates, she'd likely be snarking with the rest of them.  Methinks it'll take time for her to apply such behavior to her in-person encounters.  She'll get there.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Nightson

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #257 on: 05 Mar 2010, 22:58 »

Faye's snarky with everyone, it's the default, she's just sort of bad at figuring out when not to be snarky, she's not being unfriendly.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #258 on: 05 Mar 2010, 23:14 »

Whatever Faye's wearing, it's not a T-shirt, so maybe she's dressing up or experimenting.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #259 on: 06 Mar 2010, 09:47 »

First of all: I was immediately thinking about that comment back in 336 by Raven. Dead on. What I think might be happening with Faye is that she's perhaps a bit stressed by the move (and the reminder that Dora is Marten's GF), and it's causing her to revert a bit to her more-bitchy self. Simple psychology, actually.

Second: I think that's actually an undershirt. Peek back at 336, and you'll see she's wearing a long-sleeve shirt somewhat like the one she has on; that might actually be the same outfit without the dark blue "vest" shirt she was wearing over it in the older strip.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #260 on: 06 Mar 2010, 10:34 »

It's caled a Henley.  I have and wear several.  Most of mine are long sleeve and thermal knit (like longjohns, that waffley pattern), but they're also commonly made from t-shirt material, and I've seen a lot of people with short and 3/4 sleeves.  The neck is usually smaller and not as stretchy as a t-shirt, so there's a 3-button placket in the front. 

Basically, it's a 19th century style button up undershirt.  Very comfy. 

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #261 on: 06 Mar 2010, 12:14 »

What. Is. Faye. Wearing?

I can't recognize it. It's neither black nor pastel. It's adorned with neither words nor pictures. Is it even a reference to a band of any description? Is it an homage to the Beatles White Album? I just don't get it.
I have several Henleys. but I also have quite a number of T-shirts that don't hawk, espouse, support, express, or indeed do anything beyond garb my humble self, usually in primary colors*. I'd like to thank Jeph for embracing my culture for a day.

Henleys are not undershirts, Carl. They're athletic wear, specifically the sort worn by rowers in the English town of Henley-on-Thames; hence the name.

*Of all the stuff that goes on in Streetcar Named Desire, this stage direction (somewhere in act three) has stuck with me most.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #262 on: 06 Mar 2010, 13:52 »

And here I thought Henley was a person's name all these years...

However, please note;  the statement in Wikipedia about the name has the classic [citation needed] tag, but further down...

In his biography of Ralph Lauren, the journalist Michael Gross quotes a New York merchant who recalled showing a vintage shirt to a Ralph Lauren buyer: "I showed
        this fellow underwear -- a three-button long-sleeve shirt by Johnstown Knitting Mills. He said, 'This is a new shirt.' That's where he got the idea for the Henley shirt."

Michael Gross, Genuine Authentic, The Real Life of Ralph Lauren, pg 22.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #263 on: 06 Mar 2010, 20:12 »

Faye doesn't not like Marigold, she's just hard on people she doesn't know well.  

That could very well be true.  I just get the distinct impression that there's something about Mari which absolutely pisses Faye off.  
Have you noticed that their racks are about the same size (other than Mari, who can match Faye in boobage?), and they both have the glasses look going on?

Just saying  :-P :lol:

I'm sure Faye absolutely loves Mari.

Which, of course, really means there's something about Faye that pisses Faye off. Everyone else is simply a mirror. And there's been a fair amount of defending of Faye, too, because she's got issues.
It has been awhile since we've seen her scar, or heard mention of it.  And I can't be the only one who's curious about what Amanda was getting at in  this strip.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2010, 20:22 by Sorflakne »
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #264 on: 06 Mar 2010, 20:33 »

It has been awhile since we've seen her scar, or heard mention of it.  And I can't be the only one who's curious about what Amanda was getting at in  this strip.
Almost certainly Faye's dad's suicide, or maybe her car crash.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #265 on: 06 Mar 2010, 20:55 »

Jeph said somewhere, maybe in a newspost, that people who are sensitive to such details should feel free to believe that the scar has faded and only shows when the light is at certain angles.

Why isn't Marigirl fatter? As far as we know she's all about junk food and a sedentary lifestyle.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #266 on: 06 Mar 2010, 21:11 »

Jeph said somewhere, maybe in a newspost, that people who are sensitive to such details should feel free to believe that the scar has faded and only shows when the light is at certain angles.

Why isn't Marigirl fatter? As far as we know she's all about junk food and a sedentary lifestyle.
Eh, true on the scar thing.  I've got a nice one from where a chunk of flesh was literally ripped from my right leg.  Only reason I know it's still there is because leg hair won't grow there.

Mari may just have a really good metabolism.  I should know, my diet is hot pockets, Taco Bell, macaroni and cheese, Subway, etc.  In other words, my diet would give a dietitian nightmares.  The only real exercise I do anymore is the Air Force PT that I'm required to go to (and we really don't do much during it), and I'm actually 20 lbs or so under what I should be.  Not all of us mostly sedentary types are fatties :-P
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #267 on: 07 Mar 2010, 02:36 »

It also depends on how much you eat. My stuff ranges between moderately healthy and not healthy at all and I don't do any sports, but I'm not a big eater and the last time I looked it up my BMI was below average.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #268 on: 07 Mar 2010, 04:35 »

Age is also a factor, folks seem to put on a few pounds when they get to they're late twenties.
Do we have a good indication of Marigold's age?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

APolaris

• Plantmonster
« Reply #269 on: 07 Mar 2010, 07:35 »

Some people have extraneous circumstances like metabolism or medical conditions. I ate 4 meals per day, about 2 pounds of mostly junk food, during my freshman year of college, all while very, very sedentary (other than maybe 6 trips/year that involved whitewater rafting or hiking) and spent that year going from 150 pounds to 135. I somehow got back up to 145, but then during the middle of my sophomore year my Crohn's became active and despite still eating 4 meals/day, now with Prednisone and 2 Boost shakes, I fell to 96 in 4 months. If not for surgery I'd still be that low if not dead of malnutrition.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #270 on: 07 Mar 2010, 12:29 »

And here I thought Henley was a person's name all these years...

However, please note;  the statement in Wikipedia about the name has the classic [citation needed] tag, but further down...

In his biography of Ralph Lauren, the journalist Michael Gross quotes a New York merchant who recalled showing a vintage shirt to a Ralph Lauren buyer: "I showed
        this fellow underwear -- a three-button long-sleeve shirt by Johnstown Knitting Mills. He said, 'This is a new shirt.' That's where he got the idea for the Henley shirt."

Michael Gross, Genuine Authentic, The Real Life of Ralph Lauren, pg 22.
Does RL hold a patent on the Henley? My guess would be that was the origin of their first 'version' of the Henley. Not that I know much about Ralph Lauren clothing—I threatened my mother with defenestration if she wasted money buying me 'designer' clothes, and I haven't really warmed up to them since, either. Izod and RL could and can suck it, and their little alligators and polo players, too.

When I think about it, it stands to reason the rowers probably did start out wearing undershirts (I actually think they wear tanks these days, but those have to be a little cold in the morning on the Thames), as opposed to some monstrous Vicky get-up, complete, no doubt, with strangling collar and tie. In fact, it's difficult to think of any piece of current casual athletic wear that wasn't originally underwear. The things athletes wear in track and field these days would give folks a hundred years ago coronaries, yet we wear most of it casually, too. Except those spandex singlet suits runners wear, of course. At least I hope no guy wears what looks to be a real junk-crusher casually.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2010, 12:30 by raoullefere »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #271 on: 07 Mar 2010, 13:02 »

I don't think we know anything about Marigold's age except that she was in college with Angus, whose age we also don't know.

(Well, over 21, but that can almost be taken for granted among the QC regulars).
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #272 on: 07 Mar 2010, 19:07 »

Speaking from experience as a former hardcore world of warcraft player, the reason she's not fat IS BECAUSE she's a hardcore WoW player. See, when you're that into the game, you don't really take breaks to eat that often, and when you do, the meals are always small because you want to get back to the screen as fast as possible.

It's not healthy by a long shot, but it does keep you relatively thin.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up