THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 19:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fall Out Boy  (Read 42988 times)

Zingoleb

Re: Fall Out Boy
« Reply #50 on: 10 Mar 2010, 00:44 »

i find apathy is usually a better solution than ire.

I am finding this pretty hilarious right now.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #51 on: 10 Mar 2010, 06:26 »

i mean when the problem is something as simple as a band i dont really care for.

if all you did was write music i did not enjoy i would not have much beef with you.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #52 on: 10 Mar 2010, 06:50 »

I've never knowingly heard this Fallout Boy band but suddenly I am tempted to like them if the alternative is following in the footsteps of Oswald Moseley.

Rhetorical footsteps only.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #53 on: 10 Mar 2010, 11:38 »

The fact that I've never seen a band more eager to sell out and cram their entire existence full of product placement makes hard for me personally to support them in any way but that's my hang-up and I can't begrudge anyone else for liking them.

I actually thought a lot about this statement, too, after reading it.  Since no one I know (in real life) talks about Fall Out Boy, and I have not been in college for a couple years and I don't have roommates with girlfriends that listen to the band, I don't have to think about the subject to often.  But, to be fair, I don't think Fall Out Boy really ever sold out.  It was pretty much (to my good understanding) a band formed of a couple dudes from the DuPage (Chicago) hardcore scene and a couple of their friends.  They figured out that they probably weren't going to "get any chicks" making hardcore music (this was obviously a few years ago, so to my recollection that would have actually been the case back then), so they decided to start a shit pop punk band to score with high schoolers and college freshmen.

I mean, it doesn't really come any closer to individually selling out than it does right when they started... their drummer was in a, like, militant vegan straightedge band, for example.  But, to me, they (as a band) did not sell out in any way.  They started the band with a certain goal, and they achieved well beyond that goal, and they happened to do a pretty good job at it.

I'm not saying I disagree with you that their existence as a band may be a little disgusting, but really they did not sell out at any point, given how they formed.  In my opinion.

Zingoleb

« Reply #54 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:45 »

i mean when the problem is something as simple as a band i dont really care for.

if all you did was write music i did not enjoy i would not have much beef with you.

Fair cop.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #55 on: 10 Mar 2010, 13:42 »

But, to be fair, I don't think Fall Out Boy really ever sold out.

new sig quote.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #56 on: 10 Mar 2010, 13:46 »

I have been trapped in a lack of context.  And that is ok.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #57 on: 10 Mar 2010, 13:57 »

Very true though. Awful but more respectable than most of their contemporaries because at least they never pretended to be anything other than a glorified merch stall.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #58 on: 10 Mar 2010, 14:14 »

You can't hate them for what they are.

Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #59 on: 10 Mar 2010, 14:14 »

What am I talking about of course you can.

Mein Tumblr

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #60 on: 10 Mar 2010, 22:27 »

I mean, it doesn't really come any closer to individually selling out than it does right when they started... their drummer was in a, like, militant vegan straightedge band, for example.  But, to me, they (as a band) did not sell out in any way.  They started the band with a certain goal, and they achieved well beyond that goal, and they happened to do a pretty good job at it.

I'm talking more about things like this clip which features blatant shilling for at least 3 companies (probably more, I'm remembering off the top of my head) and that one of their tours was called something like "The HONDA CIVIC tour with fallout boy".

Anyway being completely disingenuous i.e; "I'm not in this band because I enjoy the music we play but because it is strategically targeted to make us a lot of money/fuck barely legals" isn't even close to being better than "selling out".
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #61 on: 11 Mar 2010, 00:22 »

I don't really give a fuck, I will rock out to Take This To Your Grave and like it.  It's got some catchy tunes on it.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #62 on: 11 Mar 2010, 02:19 »

They're a shitty, obnoxious band.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #63 on: 11 Mar 2010, 03:30 »

Dovey I watched your link and the only product placement I really noticed (and I was looking) was for Nokia (that one was easy), Mesa, Sabian, chimpanzees, chess and shitty haircuts. And I'm ok with Mesa and Sabian because we use the same equipment in my band? I guess having amps in the background is not a big deal anyway.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #64 on: 11 Mar 2010, 03:46 »

Also whatever car they are driving and the deoderant body spray shit

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #65 on: 11 Mar 2010, 05:06 »

Actually, I would say quitting bands you are in that you believe in the art and/or message (hardcore ethos/straightedge lifestyle... usually dudes in hardcore bands and straightedge bands are pretty serious about their shit, or, again like I said earlier, this was the case a few years ago) to fuck girls is way worse than saying, hey, the director for this video wants to put some logos in this video so he can have extra blow money... we'll get some extra piss money.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #66 on: 11 Mar 2010, 09:57 »

I think when someone's previous band was an extended and vicious attack on colonialism and they quickly move from that to shilling for Nokia it's significantly worse than just deciding to do a band because you think it'll get you laid.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2010, 14:20 by a pack of wolves »
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #67 on: 11 Mar 2010, 10:54 »

I think being a militant vegan straightedge band is probably worse than being Motley Crüe
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Candle

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #68 on: 11 Mar 2010, 15:24 »

Dude, why didn't anyone ever turn me on to this band? I mean I accept that if you'd tried to when they were big like 5 years ago I probably would have hit you, and I've made some pretty impassioned claims against them, but fuck, dude.

This is a good band! This is some awesome poppy ass rock music! I've only listened to cork tree so far, but I'm pretty psyched to scope out the rest of their stuff.

Sugar is a way better single than Dance, Dance though.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #69 on: 11 Mar 2010, 17:51 »

I think when someone's previous band was an extended and vicious attack on colonialism and they quickly move from that to shilling for Nokia it's significantly worse than just deciding to do a band because you think it'll get you laid.
I do agree with that, but my point is the dudes were pretty much already wallowing in cash at the point that that video came out, I really don't think that was some kind of defining moment in "selling out," whereas just saying fuck-it to the DuPage scene is a pretty bold move.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #70 on: 11 Mar 2010, 18:30 »

Dude, why didn't anyone ever turn me on to this band? I mean I accept that if you'd tried to when they were big like 5 years ago I probably would have hit you, and I've made some pretty impassioned claims against them, but fuck, dude.

This is a good band! This is some awesome poppy ass rock music! I've only listened to cork tree so far, but I'm pretty psyched to scope out the rest of their stuff.

Sugar is a way better single than Dance, Dance though.

I don't get it.

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
« Reply #71 on: 11 Mar 2010, 20:33 »

It's an internet meme, and a pretty poorly used one, pay no mind.
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #72 on: 12 Mar 2010, 05:54 »

Also whatever car they are driving and the deoderant body spray shit

Oh yeah! The body spray thing I got. The car I thought about but in the end, to me it was just a nondescript black vehicle. Probably some kind of giant SUV.

Also, wanting to have sex with ladies is basically the main reason any dude joined a band. It is certainly the reason I sing in a band, though the music we play is likely to attract mostly this girl.

Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #73 on: 12 Mar 2010, 06:29 »

Nooooooo jimmy, it'll be like that Cradle of Filth video! You'll be squatting by the lake one misty autumn morning, kissing the ring on the hand fo a corpse that is reaching out from the ground. Then you'll see her. You'll follow her down the avenue of trees. At the end, she's turned away, and you'll touch her shoulder and she'll turn round and she'll have no face just a grotesque, teeth-lined wound for a mouth, and she'll rip out your heart and shove it in your mouth.

It happens all the time.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #74 on: 12 Mar 2010, 08:33 »

I'd still tap it

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #75 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:19 »

Also, wanting to have sex with ladies is basically the main reason any dude joined a band.

I thought that mentality was left behind in the 80's, relegated today only to bar rock / cover bands.  Maybe I'm wrong or too idealistic?

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #76 on: 12 Mar 2010, 14:10 »

I only like them ironically.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #77 on: 12 Mar 2010, 17:21 »

I can't help but feel that lots of people here just "like them ironically".  I could easily be wrong.  I don't really get the deal with "liking things ironically".
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2010, 17:24 by The Duke »
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #78 on: 12 Mar 2010, 17:25 »

I have this theory that the hated hair metal genre of the 1980s was actually an unfairly overlooked trove of incredible music.

I think this theory has legs.

QFT

I honestly totally agree.  Even if you were being sarcastic.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #79 on: 12 Mar 2010, 19:53 »

I can't help but feel that lots of people here just "like them ironically".

I really doubt that.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #80 on: 12 Mar 2010, 23:22 »

I don't really get the deal with "liking things ironically".

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #81 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:43 »

I can't help but feel that lots of people here just "like them ironically".  I could easily be wrong.  I don't really get the deal with "liking things ironically".

But there's only like two people who like them at all?

And I don't like anything ironically because that is A Thing Stupid People Do

count

• Not quite a lurker
  • call me an asshole again
« Reply #82 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:46 »

because that is A Thing Stupid People Do

Ironically I like this.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #83 on: 13 Mar 2010, 02:38 »

Also, wanting to have sex with ladies is basically the main reason any dude joined a band.

I thought that mentality was left behind in the 80's, relegated today only to bar rock / cover bands.  Maybe I'm wrong or too idealistic?

You're both!

Most anything a dude does  is to trick a lady into having sex with him. Don't get me wrong, there are other reasons that dude's may have to join a band; love of music primarily among them but somewhere, each of these dudes is also thinking "being in a band will get me chicks and/or other dudes". Maybe I was off with the "main reason" thing but it's a pretty big thing. Very few people will join a band thinking "man, I sure hope this deters people from wanting to have sex with me".

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #84 on: 13 Mar 2010, 02:43 »

Unless you are joining a prog rock band

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #85 on: 13 Mar 2010, 02:44 »

Well obviously.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #86 on: 13 Mar 2010, 09:50 »

Very few people will join a band thinking "man, I sure hope this deters people from wanting to have sex with me".

Why are you presenting this as a binary? For a lot of people it doesn't even enter into the equation.

Also for fucking real I have to put up with everyone giving me shit about Paramore (who are fuckin awesome and full of exuberant energy and killer guitar hooks and interesting tone and clever lyrics and aren't overproduced and just slay, they are goddamn killer across the board) and after a page Kieffer's thread about Fall Out Boy isn't about that band anymore? You can all blow me.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2010, 09:53 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #87 on: 13 Mar 2010, 10:00 »

Johnny I like Paramore too! I think it is mostly just that no one on this board gives a fuck about my opinions at all at any point anyway.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #88 on: 13 Mar 2010, 10:28 »

Why are you presenting this as a binary? For a lot of people it doesn't even enter into the equation.

Haha sure it doesn't

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #89 on: 13 Mar 2010, 10:41 »

Kieffer, when you wouldn't shut up about Gucci Mane and some other garbage southern rap, I thought you were wack.

But here you're absolutely right. Fall Out Boy is a band that writes catchy pop punk tunes. I used to consider catchy pop punk a guilty pleasure but I don't give a shit to bother anymore. Shit is great and I could care less how much money Pete Wentz receives from Axe Body Spray or Honda product placement at the end of the month. Same with Paramore.

If you want a different perspective on Panic! at the Disco, watch the episode of Live at Abbey Road that features them and you'll see that they're just a decent indie pop band who are plagued with shitty fans and whose producers cater to those shitty fans by making their records sound unbearably emo. Stripped down and well-produced, they're just catchy pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7WUul0bSKw

The frontman says some relatively intelligent stuff in the intro montage that you wouldn't expect from a guy in his position.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #90 on: 13 Mar 2010, 11:01 »

I watched that Panic At the Disco video (when did they drop the exclamation mark?). Ok, I feel like constructing an analogy here. I'm gonna compare bands to objects. Say like, this is the Rolling Stones:

A classic sportscar that has been completely destroyed in a drunken accident.

Right? And like the Beatles might be a chicken vindaloo because they're tasty and pretended to be indian. Okay. Well, what I just saw was this:

Full of vomit.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #91 on: 13 Mar 2010, 11:12 »

Khar, I won't understand you unless you provide some justification.

That video involves a bunch of young guys playing some pop songs on guitar and piano that are not groundbreaking but not bad, then talking about how they wrote some songs when they were in high school and suddenly they were on the cover of every teenybopper magazine in the world and how that's lame and they wish they had time to grow and mature as musicians, but how they understand that if that were the case, they may very well have never become successful at all. They also complain about how their label wants them to interview for magazines like Spin every day of the week but didn't want them to play live at Abbey Road, and how they're flattered to be there and discontent with their label's overly commercial attitude.Then they play a few more catchy pop songs.

I think your analogy is overkill. What the fuck are you talking about?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #92 on: 13 Mar 2010, 11:16 »

The music, which is legitimately horrible.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #93 on: 13 Mar 2010, 11:17 »

I would actually find being made to listen to this band for more than about ten minutes at most to be pretty serious torture.

Ptommydski

« Reply #94 on: 13 Mar 2010, 11:45 »

just a decent indie pop band

Hahaha.

By all means enjoy your shitty mallcore but come on, if you don't care about what anyone else thinks at least have the guts to call a spade a spade. Don't try to justify it by calling them something they obviously aren't.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #95 on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:40 »

Hahaha.

By all means enjoy your shitty mallcore but come on, if you don't care about what anyone else thinks at least have the guts to call a spade a spade. Don't try to justify it by calling them something they obviously aren't.

See, this is the attitude I hold towards Fall Out Boy, blink-182, and every other god awful pop punk band I've ever enjoyed.

But P!atD genuinely strikes me as a (low-grade) indie band that got fucked in the ass by poor production and too much synthesizer.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #96 on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:47 »

I've never enjoyed Panic At The Disco.

Mein Tumblr

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #97 on: 13 Mar 2010, 13:26 »

Hahaha.

See, this is the attitude I hold towards Fall Out Boy, blink-182, and every other god awful pop punk band I've ever enjoyed.

But P!atD genuinely strikes me as a (low-grade) indie band that got fucked in the ass by poor production and too much synthesizer.

Dude, Blink isn't mallcore. They're anthemic Pop-Punk perfectly tailored for teenaged sensibilities with really tight song writing and a phenomenal drummer.

Ptommydski

« Reply #98 on: 13 Mar 2010, 13:31 »

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #99 on: 13 Mar 2010, 13:46 »

Dude travis barker is probably in the top 5 drummers working in pop music, real talk.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up