THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Starcraft 2  (Read 116270 times)

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: Starcraft 2
« Reply #300 on: 05 Aug 2010, 23:38 »

My God, every friggen' opponent I played in multiplayer (out of 10 games total) was playing Terran. 

I don't mind, because they all do the same damn thing which is easy to beat (MMM -- sometimes with a tank or two), but I'd like some variety in my opponents.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #301 on: 05 Aug 2010, 23:43 »

holy shit i almost played that exact map like 2 days ago. now i wish i had :(
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #302 on: 06 Aug 2010, 00:44 »

So is there a demo or something, because I have never played an RTS before.  Just not prepared to pay $60 for a game that I don't know if I would enjoy no matter what the internet says about it.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #303 on: 06 Aug 2010, 00:55 »

Yes.

It's called Starcraft 1.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #304 on: 06 Aug 2010, 01:14 »

the battle chest is $20, you could probably find it used for like $5 though

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #305 on: 06 Aug 2010, 04:49 »

This game is in no way going to replace my love for the original, I'm still going to play the fuck out of both of them. Hell, might even go over the original campaigns just for recaps.

What's the chance some bloke is going to mod maps to resemble the original campaign?  :-P

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #306 on: 06 Aug 2010, 08:10 »

FUUUUUUCK

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=141496

over 1 million dollaz each year goes into this. Pretty damn big.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2010, 08:12 by snalin »
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #307 on: 06 Aug 2010, 16:00 »

What's the chance some bloke is going to mod maps to resemble the original campaign?  :-P

I give it a month.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #308 on: 07 Aug 2010, 09:38 »

That'll probably go the same way as Moblivion and similar projects. Which is a shame, because it's a pretty damn great idea.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #309 on: 08 Aug 2010, 15:18 »

so there's a lot of them on starcraft 2 mapster.

anyway just finished a 3v3 where one of my allies got annihilated early and the other was sort of useless but was a good punching bag while i mass'd MM, tanks, and vacs, it was really stressful but somehow i managed to come out on top. part of the reason was that one of the opps stupidly decided to tech bcs instead of churning out infantry. ha ha, i love it when people make mistakes that end in their defeat.

ackblom12

« Reply #310 on: 08 Aug 2010, 16:11 »

So, this may just be me being a pansy, but goddamn fuck the last Protoss mission so fucking much. Been playing through the campaign on hard and I can barely hit the 1000 mark on this damn mission.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #311 on: 08 Aug 2010, 16:39 »

There are two people who are real bastards: the bastard who thought putting achievements in SC2 was a good idea and the bastard who thought 4 of them should involve playing a bullet hell.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #312 on: 08 Aug 2010, 16:49 »

So, this may just be me being a pansy, but goddamn fuck the last Protoss mission so fucking much. Been playing through the campaign on hard and I can barely hit the 1000 mark on this damn mission.

I beat it on brutal a few times (for fun) by doing the following :

Immortals / Collossai -- Cannon the two chokes leading to your base.  Retreat around the time you finish the archive defense.

When the Voids come available, mass them (and keep making collossai and replenishing cannons).

Another method : (I haven't tried, but a friend did)  mass carriers (with some voids).

Another method : Archon, Collassai, Immortals, Zealots

If you're really having a hard time :  Save often -- if something goes wrong, try to correct it.  If an unexpected wave comes, reload and you'll know it's coming.

There are two people who are real bastards: the bastard who thought putting achievements in SC2 was a good idea and the bastard who thought 4 of them should involve playing a bullet hell.

Not sure what you're talking about?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #313 on: 08 Aug 2010, 17:12 »

Correction: playing a bullet hell with a fucking keyboard.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #314 on: 09 Aug 2010, 07:14 »

Is it in any way possible to mine the gold without loosing the game? I think that even though that'd force you to split your forces, It could let you afford having 10-15 gateways spawning zealots and stalkers like a madman to protect the gold, while getting the bigger units to hold of the other holes. I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing that it could work, especially if backed up with some cannons.

I've also figured out that HT are a waste on that map - there's no way you can micro storms at three chokes at the same time.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #315 on: 09 Aug 2010, 11:38 »

Ugh SPOILERS

Maw of the Void gave me hell for a bout six playthroughs until I realized that it really was just as completely one-dimensional as build a bunch of battle cruisers and nothing else.   That's so fucking obvious I'm really kind of disappointed there weren't some twists in that one.   They got kind of lazy on a pretty good premise.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #316 on: 09 Aug 2010, 12:53 »

Yeah, I kind of threw in some tanks just because, but it wasn't really necessary. I'm not sure if I've played it on normal or hard, but does HT's use feedback at harder difficulty levels? Because that's really one of the few things that toss can do to stop cruisers.

Is there anyone who hasn't finished singleplaye that wants to be warned about spoilers? Or can we just drop the spoiler tags now? Speak up!

ackblom12

« Reply #317 on: 09 Aug 2010, 15:58 »

Woo! Got that Protoss mission down. Didn't have to reload, just managed to pay a bit more attention and keep up the building speed with the resource collection speed this time around.

After the last Human mission, can I go back and play my finished missions or would I have to start a new campaign afterwards?

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #318 on: 09 Aug 2010, 16:03 »

Either load an old save, and thus lose the end of your campaign progress, or start anew, yes. I recommend if you want to go back, do it just before you go to Char.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

ackblom12

« Reply #319 on: 09 Aug 2010, 16:14 »

That seems like an awfully odd choice. I suppose I'll have to go achievement hunting before I finish the campaign off then. Punks.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #320 on: 10 Aug 2010, 00:19 »

Anybody feel like throwing around theories for the next games' plotlines?

I mean, after everyone on this thread's actually finished the single-player and its achievements.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #321 on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:49 »

Well, that toss group (the ones who were protecting all of the artifacts) does need a bit more explaining. Other themes that should be interesting is if Kerrigan has become completely normal (I mean, she picked up some pretty heavy psy-tech from the ghost research program after she got turned into the QOB, does she keep that? Does she keep any of her zerg influence?) And why did Kerrigan want the artifact? It turned her back to human - does it have any other functions, or was that her goal all the way? And of course there's the hybrids that needs dealing with. The next game is going to be Heart of the Swarm, so I guess there will be a pretty heavy emphasis on "who rules the swarm now?"

I mean, the old info was that it was about evolving Kerrigan, so either there's something they're not showing us in the ending of WoL, or they just straight lied about what HotS was going to be about. I hope for nr.2
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2010, 11:05 by snalin »

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #322 on: 10 Aug 2010, 11:54 »

I just sort of assumed she wanted them so other people couldn't have them. Since y'know, they turned her into a human. And she didn't want that.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #323 on: 10 Aug 2010, 14:50 »

Well, that is the obvious answer, but it feels a bit too easy. Like, why would the Xel'Naga make an artifact that undid a hybrid, when, as far as I've understood, hybrids is a gold of their's?

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #324 on: 11 Aug 2010, 05:04 »

Some people I know think that she's still going to be able to exert control over zerg. I mean, she's human again, but technically speaking even as a ghost her telepathic abilities were massive.
The fact that this has actually happened to Kerrigan already really confirms that the Zerg aren't going to be the final ultimate villains in this trilogy. My money is on the Xel'Naga coming back from the Void to clean up the mess they've made, perhaps revealing where the Protoss got their ideas from of glassing planets to exterminate the threats.

Or something. I just think it sounds fitting as a reference by the name of the third title.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #325 on: 14 Aug 2010, 08:32 »

Welp.  I purchased starcraft 2 with a coupon and some certificates and it looks like the offline "Play as Guest" mode isn't really an offline mode.

I mean considering that every time you restart your computer you have to have an active internet connection and log in to play offline as a guest it's not that great of an "offline mode".

Looks like I am finally going to have to get some internet access at home.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #326 on: 14 Aug 2010, 11:52 »

Hated that lava mission so much.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #327 on: 18 Aug 2010, 11:01 »

The protoss missions were so much fun. Hate that the Prote campaign is the last one to come out.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #328 on: 18 Aug 2010, 13:02 »

Question:  How big a jump in player skill is there once I'm done with the practice matches?

I've got 20ish practice games left, but I've been doing pretty well lately winning more than I'm losing, so I thought about skipping the rest of them.   I am also self-aware enough to realize that I could very well be getting paired up with someone who has no fricking idea what they're doing more often than not, hence the question.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #329 on: 18 Aug 2010, 13:30 »

Skip them. You have placement matches before entering the ladder and, after a few matches into the ladder, will be pretty reliably placed among appropriate opponents.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #330 on: 19 Aug 2010, 12:11 »

Well, that is the obvious answer, but it feels a bit too easy. Like, why would the Xel'Naga make an artifact that undid a hybrid, when, as far as I've understood, hybrids is a gold of their's?

I don't think it undoes hybrids so much as just eradicate Zerg, which is what you use it for throughout most of the mission.  She wasn't completely Zerg, so she wasn't annihilated like the rest of the Zerg under the artifact's range.

It would make sense that they'd build an artifact to repel forms of their creations.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #331 on: 19 Aug 2010, 12:57 »

Failsafe or something was my guess.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #332 on: 20 Aug 2010, 17:38 »

Probably like what the Xel'Naga Temple from Brood War was for. I suspect it just wasn't an object for standing around and worshipping.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #333 on: 20 Aug 2010, 19:30 »

This makes me wish I still had my original SC manual so I could remember the order in which the Xel'Naga created the Protoss and the Zerg. Either way, after the failed experiment that was the Zerg, it makes perfect sense the survivors would create something to destroy them... the Zerg were a terrifying creation gone wrong, incapable of understanding or reason. They're a biological version of the Borg and I'm pretty sure that is not something the Xel'Naga wanted running around freely.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #334 on: 20 Aug 2010, 19:51 »

Protoss were made first, then Zerg.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #335 on: 21 Aug 2010, 01:03 »

Yeah, hence why the protoss refer to themselves as the first born of the gods.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #336 on: 21 Aug 2010, 02:26 »

Seeing about ten banelings crash into the side of a ball of one hundred fucking marines made my day. Does the first placement match pitch you against the bottom of bronze or something?

Also, what's the best bet against massed tanks as zerg? If I charge headfront with anything I'm pretty dead, so the alternatives are burried roaches, which is usually downed by detection, rushing headlongs with lings to draw fire while the rest comes in on their tails, alternatively hope the guy doesn't macro, and draw fire with lings while banelinging the tanks line. The last alternative is mutas, but vikings or marines is so common that I've pretty much got no way to make an effective dent in the tanks army. Flanking with drops is pretty effective, but if they choose to push out instead of retreating, I'll still loose to sieged tanks without any effective counter.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #337 on: 21 Aug 2010, 07:36 »

Broodlords and/or infestors.

Or just mercilessly outmacro them and keep expanding and sending mutas to murder their supply line while slowly whittling their forces down. Live for the swarm etc.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #338 on: 21 Aug 2010, 10:26 »

Also, what's the best bet against massed tanks as zerg?

There are a few counters.  Mutas, mass zerglings, infestors are great if they're already seiged (just pop an infestor out and watch the friendly fire splash damage eat them away), and broodlords (though they're a tier 3).

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #339 on: 21 Aug 2010, 11:05 »

Had a dream I was fighting some Terran as Protoss, but I also had medivacs? this game. I must like it a lot, or something.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #340 on: 21 Aug 2010, 14:13 »

Weird. I had a dream I was fighting Terran as Terran, but I had nydus worms.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #341 on: 21 Aug 2010, 15:28 »

You had mind-control towers in your dream, obviously. There was clearly a third party zerg force.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #342 on: 25 Aug 2010, 10:58 »

Damnit!   I cannot seem to get the "The Best Defense..." achievement.  I just can't seem to mass enough Marines to take the hatcheries down, despite having read a couple of different strategies to do it.  I must need to work on my micro.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #343 on: 25 Aug 2010, 11:17 »

Just take down the easy ones, let them rebuild them, then take them again.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #344 on: 25 Aug 2010, 11:52 »

Have you tried pulling back to the second ramp? If you fill six bunkers with marines and back them up with turrets up there, that'll keep off anything you get against you if you have two or three auto-repairing SCVs (watch out for muta splash, as that will kill repairing SCVs after a while. Having one medic hanging back can be an idea if it turns into a problem). Wait until it's four or so minutes left, and move out with a MASSIVE ball of marines and medics. Medics are important, I ran with a 1:3 medic/marine ratio. Constantly pumping SCVs is also pretty damn important - without doing that, getting enough units will probably be impossible.

The way I did it, I went for the leftmost hatches first, and then the top left ones, there's two hatches on each spot. Whenever you run into a spine crawler, you will loose marines, so you'll want to be pumping reinforcements non-stop.

Also remember to save, and reload if something went terribly wrong (a bunker went down/you overextended and lost half your marines etc.). Reloading doesn't fuck up the achievements, as far as I know.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #345 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:59 »

Have you tried pulling back to the second ramp? If you fill six bunkers with marines and back them up with turrets up there, that'll keep off anything you get against you if you have two or three auto-repairing SCVs (watch out for muta splash, as that will kill repairing SCVs after a while. Having one medic hanging back can be an idea if it turns into a problem). Wait until it's four or so minutes left, and move out with a MASSIVE ball of marines and medics. Medics are important, I ran with a 1:3 medic/marine ratio. Constantly pumping SCVs is also pretty damn important - without doing that, getting enough units will probably be impossible.

The way I did it, I went for the leftmost hatches first, and then the top left ones, there's two hatches on each spot. Whenever you run into a spine crawler, you will loose marines, so you'll want to be pumping reinforcements non-stop.

Also remember to save, and reload if something went terribly wrong (a bunker went down/you overextended and lost half your marines etc.). Reloading doesn't fuck up the achievements, as far as I know.

Good advice.  Also, it's important to note that an earlier attack is better than waiting until you're maxed out.  The zerg continually masses both units and extra spine crawlers over time (and will rebuild them).

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #346 on: 25 Aug 2010, 13:22 »

it depends on how fast you are able to macro up. I think that an ideal time to attack might be right after picking up the last survivors, as that gives you a extra boost to your army size, but is still before the PC starts making crawlers all over the place (On brutal, you get the things coming up just bellow your damned ramp in the ending minutes).

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #347 on: 06 Sep 2010, 21:12 »

just jumped up from silver to platinum in about 15 games, upward and onward woop woop
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #348 on: 08 Oct 2010, 01:44 »

So I decided to grab some easy achievements by doing custom games

cut to 4 hours later I decide to take a 'break' with some new featured RPG

2 hours after that it's 1:45 in the morning and I want to keep playing.

that's the starcraft I know and love

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #349 on: 10 Oct 2010, 02:27 »

Damnit I have a degree I need to work for

Freakin' time sinks
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up