Dr. Bunnigus/Reverend - Schlock Mercentary
- 1 (1.1%)
Haley Starshine/Elan - OOTS
- 13 (14.4%)
Something I've obviously overlooked
- 33 (36.7%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 22-26 March  (Read 89102 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: WCT 22-26 March
« Reply #100 on: 24 Mar 2010, 04:07 »

Of course there is that old dictum:  "Strong drink giveth the desire, but takes away the ability."
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #101 on: 24 Mar 2010, 04:24 »

This has potential to go very wrong indeed. As noted in 1613 his reason to go to CoD every time. No doubt he means Faye by that. For Marigold that would mean chances are dim providing that she dares it. On the other hand he also knows his chances with Faye.

michi-love

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #102 on: 24 Mar 2010, 05:36 »

Theoretically, if I put myself into Faye's shoes, I think I would react pretty much the same way. You're talking to a chick, the both of you drunk (wow, I never noticed these bubbles by my head before!) and all of a sudden, the chick starts visibly mooning over the one guy in the room. That is the cue to get. the hell. away. It will either be incredibly awkward (knowing Marmar, this is the option I expect) or... explosive in a way that an Awkward Bomb cannot fathom. This would the Awkward Girl Sex Bomb. Very scary stuff right there. Also playing a part, though in my mind, has got to be the thing she's been growing with Angus. He is a persistent little bugger and he seems to have his sights set on Faye - to the point that Mar may have to straddle him to get her point across, which... again, could go one of two ways. But considering the personality likenesses to Marten - the amusing oblivion, the mannerisms that are a bit similar to the 'huh gluh blugh' of awkward!Marten and his trademark brain melt - as well as things such as the fact that Angus, with his sense of humor and apparent determination, not to mention strength, both of will and physical, (not every dude gets thrown across a bar and comes back, I'm sure, not over a girl who doesn't show any interest in you at all) kind of point to him being the perfect sort of guy for Faye right now. He knows about her dad, she said she had issues, and he backed off a bit and modified his strategy. Unfortunately, he is also the "perfect" guy for Marmar at the same time, being her champion among those that would throw her down and stompeth on her intestines. But if you weigh between Marigold and Faye and see who makes the most logical sense (yes, I know, crazy idea!) it is Faye.

Though, conversely, logical sense can also lead us to the conclusion that Faye will be spurned once more as Angus suddenly decides to see Marigold as a woman and decides to teach how to dance again...... in a horizontal way, this time.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #103 on: 24 Mar 2010, 05:37 »

Of course there is that old dictum:  "Strong drink giveth the desire, but takes away the ability."

Therefore, much drink may be said to be an equivocator with lechery: it makes him, and it mars him; it sets him on, and it takes him off; it persuades him, and disheartens him; makes him stand to, and not stand to*; in conclusion, equivocates him in a sleep, and, giving him the lie, leaves him.

(*Shakespeare was a master of the single-entendre.)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #104 on: 24 Mar 2010, 05:53 »

Either that or she's [Faye] actually a decent person.
When she's not trying to be the sass-ass of the year, yes. Unfortunately…

Unfortunately, he [Angus] is also the "perfect" guy for Marmar at the same time, being her champion among those that would throw her down and stompeth on her intestines.
Not really sure about that, but, any road, the manner in which he defends Marigold indicates, to me, anyway, Angus will recoil in horror: see option #4 in today's quiz, minus the "What do you mean" part. There are girls who can overcome this sort of hurdle, of course, but Marigold does not look, to me, to be one of them.

wow, I never noticed these bubbles by my head
We've tried not to say anything. Besides, if you attempt to see them, they've always popped just before you get them into focus, assuming, of course, you still can focus after all that booze.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

michi-love

« Reply #105 on: 24 Mar 2010, 06:05 »

In regards to the "perfect" statement, there was a reason for my quotations - I can just see where she THINKS she has a chance. This is probably the only guy in the history of her entire life who has ever told her she was even remotely pretty. He "noticed her" in college. He liked her enough for the two of them to become roommates. I can't logically see anything but "Marigold... what the hell are you doing/saying?" happening if she's bold/drunk enough to do/say anything, but on the other hand, writers tend to enjoy curveballs.

And I figured as much - in truth, I kind of enjoy the bubbles. They are a rather adorable way of letting us know, "lol, [character] is druuunk off his/her assssss!" It simply makes me wonder if in the QCverse, they actually exist. I mean, sure, most of that world is based in reality, but what if being drunk there gives off small white floating bubbles either physically or in your vision?

Zipperstuck

• Plantmonster
« Reply #106 on: 24 Mar 2010, 06:10 »

Everybody has sex, Jeph retires.

Sounds more realistic with each passing comic.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #107 on: 24 Mar 2010, 07:08 »

Marigold... Angus...
Mangus or Angold or Marigus or ... I'm done.

Oh look! It's so cute! Faye and Marigold go to the same optician.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

friend

• Plantmonster
  • ah what a beutiful morning :)
« Reply #108 on: 24 Mar 2010, 07:11 »

i hope she get married BEFORE she is shamed before the eyes of her Lord

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #109 on: 24 Mar 2010, 07:34 »

Why, will he object if he doesn't get to exercise primae nocta?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

schmeeble

• Plantmonster
« Reply #110 on: 24 Mar 2010, 08:18 »

It will backfire tremendously on Marigold though, as Angus (even drunk) will turn her down and things will become horribly awkward between them on a steadily increasing run of drama.

Looking forward to it.  :evil:

Me too! I'm personally hoping for it to be bad to the point that she can't live with Angus anymore, moves out, and is never heard from by any of the characters again.
herro!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #111 on: 24 Mar 2010, 08:58 »

you know, we have Marigold's opinion of Angus, Faye has always seemed on the fence, and Angus fancies Faye.   This sounds a bit familiar, like from Shakespeare or something (a mid summer nights dream?).  I hope Faye doesnt feel this is the 3rd guy she lost to a female.  I just dont want to see Faye give up and become all depressed again, or doesnt realize that she actually does have a chance at Angus.  As for Marigold it would be equally if not more so devastating being that she never really had a date before and the one guy she thought she a chance with rejects her.

oooooooo the drama :|
regardless this is going to sting from someone.

I wonder how Angus feels about the whole deal. I mean yeah duh he likes Faye but does he just view Marigold as a kid sister type?
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2010, 09:07 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #112 on: 24 Mar 2010, 09:09 »

I think Faye will try to get advice on the situation from her two best friends.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #113 on: 24 Mar 2010, 09:24 »

I think Faye will try to get advice on the situation from her two best friends.
smashing idea!  :-D It's what I would do if I was in her shoes.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #114 on: 24 Mar 2010, 09:25 »

This is ba-ad.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ironi

• Plantmonster
« Reply #115 on: 24 Mar 2010, 09:52 »

Wow, I'm really enjoying this story arc.  I agree with whoever said that Faye is just getting out of the way of the coming awkwardness.  There is really no way that Angus could be happy with Marigold, she just doesn't have that acerbic wit that attracted him to Faye (and some other girlfriend he mentioned) in the first place.  Though yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Faye backs off cause of this or not. 

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #116 on: 24 Mar 2010, 10:44 »

Y'know, looking at this again, I almost wonder if there's not a teeny bit of triumph in Marigold's expression in the last panel. I hope it's just her boozy smile, but…

It will backfire tremendously on Marigold though, as Angus (even drunk) will turn her down and things will become horribly awkward between them on a steadily increasing run of drama.

Looking forward to it.  :evil:

Me too! I'm personally hoping for it to be bad to the point that she can't live with Angus anymore, moves out, and is never heard from by any of the characters again.
You romantic devils, you.

I think you're right, though, Odin, at least short-term. Long-term depends on how routed Faye is. And, of course, there's always the chance Marigold, QC's current queen of choke, will do it again, alky-hol or no. Then we'll get to see, like as not, Faye pushing Angus away (which part of her wants to do anyway, no doubt—due to her habit, not him) or actually telling him about Marigold herself. Now that would be interesting. Angus's brain would probably do this.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Malsies

• Not quite a lurker
  • Eat You
« Reply #117 on: 24 Mar 2010, 10:52 »

I'm thinking that Marigold is either going to confess now (that is, the night that is currently taking place in QC time), or Jeph will draw it out and make us wait until she drinks again.  Because I don't think she would express her true feelings while sober.

As far as Faye is concerned, I think (well, I'm actually pretty damn sure) she likes Angus, but I think she sees that there's a danger of hurting Marigold, which she doesn't want to do.  So I think she'll either play the martyr by cooking up a scheme to get the two of them together, or, supposing this story line leads to Faye and Angus having "the talk," she'll just refuse to date him out of respect/pity for Marigold.  Or both.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
Re: WCT 21-25 March
« Reply #118 on: 24 Mar 2010, 10:55 »

Wait....how did Marten know it was bourbon and tacos? Dora didn't specify what the dinner and booze was...
Unless Jeph changed it because he realised it, Dora did specify. Quote: "Oh she's over at Angus and Marigold's. Said something about tacos and bourbon".

It has indeed been changed. Jeph flipped the dialog between the two, and it makes much more sense now that Marten isn't psychic. :D

Quote from: Scarblac"
Marigold said she believes she actually has a chance, and therefore Faye probably thinks that Angus is interested in Marigold, instead of in her.

That must hurt, and it also makes her the third wheel on the cart. That's why she's leaving immediately.

I could see something like this running through Faye's mind. Especially given how quickly Marigold is saying, "Bye!"

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #119 on: 24 Mar 2010, 10:59 »

Oh snap.  Well, with Angus having shown some self-awareness recently (his 'I'm an ass most of the time' comment a few strips back), it's fitting that Faye would show some personal growth and consideration.  I don't think Faye is just getting out of the way of the inevitable awkwardness, I think she's letting Marigold have her chance.  Faye's only seen Angus and Marigold interacting a couple of times, so I doubt she really knows whether Mar-Bear has a shot, but she'd have to be a total asshole to stand in the way of the girl's first try.  Faye has warmed to Angus lately, but not to the point where she's like "RARR!  MINE!!"  Odds are high Faye will spill to Marten and Dora, unless those two are boning when she gets home.  Hopefully this won't affect her enough that she backslides and bootycalls Sven.

As to whether Angus and Marigold can engage in a romantic relationship, well, a lot will depend on how soon Angus figures out wtf went wrong with Faye and his reaction to an advance from Marigold.  Since he's clearly got the hots for Faye, to the point where he's said he can't get coffee service from a hot chick at home, he is likely to experience severe brain melt once he figures it out.  But let's remember: Angus is clueless.  Short of Marigold pinning him to the couch and smooching him or saying outright "FAYE LEFT BECAUSE I LOVE YOU AND WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES" Angus will probably have some trouble figuring it out.  I kind of expect him to either blame Marigold for Faye leaving (ie: "What did you say to her?") or be self-disparaging (ie: "Gah, why did I bother, Faye's never going to like me").  Although, I would kind of like to see the utter awkwardness of Angus asking Marigold to try and help him get with Faye -- sort of a change-up on the whole Cyrano idea.  Epic possibilities there.

Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to where Jeph takes this.  ^_^
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

davidv

• Not quite a lurker
  • Nah man.
« Reply #120 on: 24 Mar 2010, 11:14 »

I seriously doubt Faye is having some love life meltdown, she doesn't seem the type, especially when drunk.

I think that Faye is running out the door because these situations are always so painfully awkward that they rank an 11 on the pain chart. My first instinct in that situation would have been the exact same...RUN, because it's not going to end well. Just look at her face in the last panel, that's not sadness, regret, or angst...that is pure distilled unbridled PANIC!
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2010, 11:18 by davidv »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #121 on: 24 Mar 2010, 11:43 »

That's what I thought. Marigold, blissfully unaware she has no chance with Angus; Angus, blissfully unaware Marigold fancies him; Faye, stuck between a rock and a hard place. Man, I'd hate to have to keep writing this drama, hat's off to Jeph.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #122 on: 24 Mar 2010, 13:01 »

That's what I thought. Marigold, blissfully unaware she has no chance with Angus; Angus, blissfully unaware Marigold fancies him; Faye, stuck between a rock and a hard place. Man, I'd hate to have to keep writing this drama, hat's off to Jeph.

first off THAT APOSTROPHE HAS TO GO

secondly, they're both drunk, leave them together alone long enough and they'll know what to do.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #123 on: 24 Mar 2010, 14:11 »

sort of a change-up on the whole Cyrano idea.  Epic possibilities there.
That gives me a Bad Idea, which fortunately has no foundation in the comic.

Imagine Marigirl deciding to woo Angus with love poetry and hiring Wil to write it for her.

Crushing on Angus may be the best (least worst) of all possible worlds for Marigold. If she'd fixated on someone less honorable, she'd be at high risk of being taken advantage of. Angus seems to be honorable as such things go. The chief danger to her is his cluelessness.

EDIT: Is there _any_ way out of this that doesn't end in Marigold getting badly hurt? For some reason I don't want the imaginary person to get fictionally hurt.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2010, 14:38 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Alus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #124 on: 24 Mar 2010, 14:45 »

@marigold: cool shirt

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #125 on: 24 Mar 2010, 15:01 »

I think you guys were unnecessarily hard on the dude who hates Marigold. I quite like her, but just saying "the focus rotates!" doesn't cut it. It's quite obvious Jeph is really into Marigold as a character, and has dug her since she was introduced, and yes, as one of his favorites, he's putting her front and center in a lot of strips.  Honestly, I don't usually like when authors show which characters they're fond of all that openly either--I'd rather they let the story determine character strip time. That said, QC is not that kind of comic and never has been--it's never had a very strong story, it's not exactly plot-driven (although it has loose arcs), and what plot there IS comes from the characters (ie, overall the characters Jeph is interested in get the main plot, and when Jeph gets tired of a character, the plot obliges to help him retire them).

Me, personally, I'm happy with Marigold because the one character everyone loved that I never much cared for is Hanners. So as long as Jeph is privileging Marigold and not having QC be the Hanners show, that suits me well!

If I had to voice any criticism of QC and Jeph al all, it would be that I think Jeph could stand to learn to diversify his plot motivation a bit. That is, I've noticed that he seems to default on romance as plot-motivator, and characters often only seem to interest Jeph when they have romantic storyline potential. When a character gets involved in a romance, they get striptime, when that's done (except with Marten and Dora, as they're part of the main 3) they go to the background. Penny briefly starred in a lot of strips when she had her budding romance with Wll--once that arc was concluded, she and Wil disappeared.  Tai mostly gets strips where we see her romantic hijinks. All the times Steve was prominently featured were romance related (first with Ellen, then with Meena, then with CrutchGirl). Sven dropped out of the comic after the Faye debacle. Etc etc etc.  Now that Marigold is stepping up to create the Angus-Faye-Marigold love triangle, it's almost like you can see Jeph going "aha! This will be my next Big Story!"  I don't actually MIND this, I'm just thinking that a character can be interesting for lots of reasons, and there's plenty of non-romantic related plot-motivators to be had.

« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2010, 15:04 by JackFaerie »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #126 on: 24 Mar 2010, 16:26 »

secondly, they're both drunk, leave them together alone long enough and they'll know what to do.

It does? Can my hat not be off to jeph? I only have one hat, you know. Oh well, it's not like the English language makes sense or anything.

On the other hand, leave them together long enough and they start to sober up...

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #127 on: 24 Mar 2010, 16:47 »

I didn't read this thread so I don't know if anyone's said this yet,

but I totally saw it coming like a month ago.

imaginaryideals

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #128 on: 24 Mar 2010, 17:22 »

I think you guys were unnecessarily hard on the dude who hates Marigold. I quite like her, but just saying "the focus rotates!" doesn't cut it. It's quite obvious Jeph is really into Marigold as a character, and has dug her since she was introduced, and yes, as one of his favorites, he's putting her front and center in a lot of strips.  Honestly, I don't usually like when authors show which characters they're fond of all that openly either--I'd rather they let the story determine character strip time. That said, QC is not that kind of comic and never has been--it's never had a very strong story, it's not exactly plot-driven (although it has loose arcs), and what plot there IS comes from the characters (ie, overall the characters Jeph is interested in get the main plot, and when Jeph gets tired of a character, the plot obliges to help him retire them).

Me, personally, I'm happy with Marigold because the one character everyone loved that I never much cared for is Hanners. So as long as Jeph is privileging Marigold and not having QC be the Hanners show, that suits me well!

If I had to voice any criticism of QC and Jeph al all, it would be that I think Jeph could stand to learn to diversify his plot motivation a bit. That is, I've noticed that he seems to default on romance as plot-motivator, and characters often only seem to interest Jeph when they have romantic storyline potential. When a character gets involved in a romance, they get striptime, when that's done (except with Marten and Dora, as they're part of the main 3) they go to the background. Penny briefly starred in a lot of strips when she had her budding romance with Wll--once that arc was concluded, she and Wil disappeared.  Tai mostly gets strips where we see her romantic hijinks. All the times Steve was prominently featured were romance related (first with Ellen, then with Meena, then with CrutchGirl). Sven dropped out of the comic after the Faye debacle. Etc etc etc.  Now that Marigold is stepping up to create the Angus-Faye-Marigold love triangle, it's almost like you can see Jeph going "aha! This will be my next Big Story!"  I don't actually MIND this, I'm just thinking that a character can be interesting for lots of reasons, and there's plenty of non-romantic related plot-motivators to be had.

Gotta be honest here, if you take the romantic angle out of QC you would be left with... not much. Snarky oneliners and anthroPC comics, which is not to bash oneliners or anthroPCs, just that you'd really be taking the plot-meat out of the comic :P You could easily argue the idea that it's the romance that's getting characters facetime, rather than characters getting romances.. esp. in the case of Marigold, cause ever since she was introduced it kinda seemed like there was at least gonna be a Marigold+Angus dynamic, anyway. (Not suggesting they will get together, just that someone would develop feelings at some point..)

QC is not an adventure comic, or a mystery solving comic, etc. And it's not like Jeph doesn't write non-romantic plotlines (mostly anything to do with Hanners, but also like Faye's backstory, Vespa Girl... uh... okay I can't think of anything else...) .... I can see the temptation to get drawn into a serious soap opera-y loop, but he's pretty good about throwing in random stuff, too. I suppose it'd be nice to see more backstory or what happens to some of the other characters when they're not in the coffee shop or having romantic stuff happen... but QC is a 5-day-a-week comic and he's managed to keep it interesting, in my opinion, so I'm not complaining about what he doesn't do :P

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #129 on: 24 Mar 2010, 18:54 »

Therefore, much drink may be said to be an equivocator with lechery: it makes him, and it mars him; it sets him on, and it takes him off; it persuades him, and disheartens him; makes him stand to, and not stand to*; in conclusion, equivocates him in a sleep, and, giving him the lie, leaves him.
Someone actually finished the quote!
I... I think I love you.

Promethean Sky

• Plantmonster
« Reply #130 on: 24 Mar 2010, 19:23 »

I didn't read this thread so I don't know if anyone's said this yet,

but I totally saw it coming like a month ago.

Did anyone here not see this coming?

*looks around*
Well I thought it was funny.

michi-love

« Reply #131 on: 24 Mar 2010, 20:14 »

I did not see this coming, no sir.

I was more expecting Marigold walking in on Faye and Angus's first romantic encounter and basically dying immediately of a combination crushed hope and humiliation.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #132 on: 24 Mar 2010, 21:03 »

English grammar lesson of the day. Unless LTK is an Ettin (or other multi-headed being), he has only one head. Thus LTK employs only one metaphorical hat at a time and can therefore doff only one metaphorical hat at a time. Thus the plural noun hats would be wrong. On the other hand, without the apostrophe-s, there would be no verb in the clause (my) hat is off to Jeph, making it (my) hat off to Jeph, which is a sentence fragment. The apostrophe indicates an omission, in this case the i of is, and (my) hat's off to Jeph is thus correct. On the other hand, LTK is guilty of a comma splice, which, of course, means that hanging is too good for him, and so we shan't. We don't coddle comma abusers with gratuitous hangings 'round here.

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #133 on: 24 Mar 2010, 21:15 »

you have to admit, jeph did the most amazing job with making mari looks genuinely romantic.
Help bring back the dragons!

michi-love

« Reply #134 on: 24 Mar 2010, 21:48 »

Romantic, hopelessly devoted to you dreaming... same difference, right?

Actually, I thought it was a bit creepy the way she stared at Angus. But maybe that's just me.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #135 on: 24 Mar 2010, 22:24 »

Gotta be honest here, if you take the romantic angle out of QC you would be left with... not much. Snarky oneliners and anthroPC comics, which is not to bash oneliners or anthroPCs, just that you'd really be taking the plot-meat out of the comic :P

That's kind of what I mean. Again, I actually don't mind this, but thinking about it, the romance doesn't HAVE to be the sole plot-meat, you know?

And it's not like Jeph doesn't write non-romantic plotlines (mostly anything to do with Hanners, but also like Faye's backstory, Vespa Girl... uh... okay I can't think of anything else...)

Yeah, see? :-P But it's not like there aren't plot possibilities in other things, without having it be an adventure or mystery comic. Dora's business for instance: she's been worried about finances, that could make for a plot arc (not just her finances, but losing the shop/revamping the shop/competition with another coffee shop, etc).  The hijinks as Dora tries implementing new experimental practices!  The strain and complications of her relationship with Faye as she has to temporarily become more boss than friend, and Marten stuck in the middle! If there IS a competition with another shop, the spying and sabotage and who-knows-what-else that could be played for both laughs and drama!  Etc.

Also kinda job related possibility: after being offered/introduced via a friend, Dora considers doing some pin-up modeling on the side to supplement her income (and because omg, she'll be like her idol!). Marten struggles with wanting to be a supportive boyfriend, but also finding he whole thing very uncomfortable because of mother issues.  It might also cause him to reconsider his own low-paying job and maybe inspires him to go out and try for something more ambitious.  (I would suggest that rather than Dora doing pin up, he ends up being the one who gets a side job for a music blog/website etc, but we haven't really seen him going to any shows lately...)

Also, despite this NOT being an adventure comic, we DO have a character who works for the CIA, and another one who is a mad scientist orbiting the earth. Surely something could be done there. And so on.

« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2010, 22:57 by JackFaerie »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #136 on: 24 Mar 2010, 22:34 »

Plus there are a lot of story lines possible if the band gets revived.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #137 on: 24 Mar 2010, 22:57 »

Romantic, hopelessly devoted to you dreaming... same difference, right?

Actually, I thought it was a bit creepy the way she stared at Angus. But maybe that's just me.

I disagree. The alcohol allows us to get an inner insight. Remember, when high, emotions are exaggerated. In normal is a crush.
Help bring back the dragons!

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #138 on: 24 Mar 2010, 23:16 »

I do believe we've graduated beyond fucked to somewhere in fubar territory, Faye...

Also, the worry hat's return!

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #139 on: 24 Mar 2010, 23:31 »

I definitely think the collapsing house of cards made the whole comic.  :lol:

Teeks

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #140 on: 24 Mar 2010, 23:41 »

Am i the ONLY person whose hoping Angus and Marigold do it!?!

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #141 on: 24 Mar 2010, 23:53 »

Atta girl, Faye! Now get yer ass back over there and into the fray! Screw Marigold—can't make an omelet and all that.

Okay, I'm not that heartless. But, as I said some time ago, Marigold, like almost every person I know of, is almost guaranteed to miss with her first foray into romance, and bound to get hurt. Lots of reasons for this, none of them all that good, really. But 'tis the way it goes, and, having experienced both, I'd say risking getting hurt or even getting hurt, no matter the goal, beats sitting in your room alone all day*. That's the one I have to give Hanners—she knows that and goes at it the best she can, falling down and getting up over and over again, even though she seems to be sure she'll never actually get there. Faye's been learning it (her 'room' is figurative, but it's there), possibly all over again, ever since 'The Talk'; now it's Marigold's turn.

For those who have been complaining about Jeph 'fixating' on romance, I observe that this risk, to me, seems to be what he's actually getting at, from Hanners to Marigold, Faye to Dora, Marten to Wil, Penelope to, yes, Sven. All of them have to, at some point, get out of their 'room,' or not and lose thereby. Romance happens to be a pretty good means by which to draw an audience into this concept, as it's one of the more universal risks, one almost all of us have or haven't, as the case may be, taken, but experienced, nonetheless. As opposed to various job problems, working for the CIA, getting on or off medication, etc. Jeph isn't the first artist to attack one idea over and over again, looking at it from ever so slightly different angles, in his case, amidst various pop culture references and, of course, fart jokes, and he won't be the last. Or so I hope. To me, that's how you find all the truly interesting and meaningful shit.

*Not at the time, of course. But later…

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #142 on: 24 Mar 2010, 23:54 »

Am i the ONLY person whose hoping Angus and Marigold do it!?!

A night of drunken passion between an introverted virgin and the guy who's been spending months trying to get with another girl, culimating in about five minutes of awkward humping, followed by years of recrimination and regret?  Hell yes, I'm all for that shit!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #143 on: 24 Mar 2010, 23:57 »

Based on Faye's expression in the last panel, does that mean she admits she likes angus?

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #144 on: 24 Mar 2010, 23:58 »

While I'm not a fan of 4chan, panel 4, while funny, would have had me rolling if it said "FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" instead.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #145 on: 25 Mar 2010, 00:00 »

Thank grud she had The Worry Hat on.   :-D

This is definitely gonna prove interesting - and awkward - for the next week or two.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

imaginaryideals

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #146 on: 25 Mar 2010, 00:12 »

@JackFaerie

Ahah.. I should rephrase, I feel like QC characters' love lives are an intrinsic part of their personalities and development? I agree that there are elements that would be nice to see more of, like the coffee shop finances and such (for god's sake, what happened to Faye's sculpture? :O) but, hm... Jeph seems to be good at portraying a character's development leading up to a romantic gesture... that being the case, it is natural for him to make use of the talent. I agree with whoever said he seems to be favoring Marigold at this time, though, but I wonder if Marigold was originally meant to be a plot device for Faye and just turned into a character Jeph liked :P or maybe he didn't think that far ahead, ha ha...

About Marten getting a better job, when Jeph posted that redrawn early comic where Marten and Steve are talking about Marten getting a new job, I totally thought it was a deja-vu new discussion for a minute.. until I scrolled down and read the commentary XD I wonder if it's something that'll be addressed later. Yeah. I guess thinking about it, there are a lot of elements that don't get properly explored, which I guess makes Marigold seem like .... a character that shouldn't have been introduced, or explored, at this time. But you know, for a comic which moves the way it does.. which is to say 5 days a week... for someone like me who checks back every update day, it is quite easy to follow the story that is happening right now with her, so.. if you don't think too hard about things, you don't really notice them?

Like. It's kind of easy to forget about Steve, Marten's bandmates (I can't even think of their names ><), Penelope, Wil, Hanners' parents, etc., when you only get a page a day and you're only seeing 3-5 characters. There are a lot of characters and elements to explore, so I guess I can see why this latest development might feel like 'oh god not another one,' but then again, it isn't like Jeph hasn't been working up to it for like, MONTHS.

Sorry for this meandering post, it is 3 am here and I'm not very coherent. Hope this makes sense!.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2010, 00:13 by imaginaryideals »

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #147 on: 25 Mar 2010, 00:47 »

awwwwwww shit! 

That was a crazy f***ing awesome primal scream of a response!  It's time for Faye to go fight for her man!!

It. Is. On.

Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #148 on: 25 Mar 2010, 01:02 »

Option #1: Marigold manages to keep her feelings to herself and Angus remains oblivious
Option #2: Marigold is forward and Angus rejects her in a much harsher way than he would when sober
Option #3: Drunk Angus accepts Marigold's advances and, in the cold light of morning, apologizes for taking advantage of her but declines to enter into a romantic relationship with her
Option #4: Angus accepts her advances and, although he is not interested in Marigold, becomes romantically involved with her because he does not want to feel like a jerk

While #2-#4 are bad for Angus, Marigold, or both, it's not really anybody's business theirs.  If Marigold gets hurt and needs support or if either need advice in the aftermath, then they should be available as friends.  But it sounds like Dora, Marten, and Faye think they should stick their noses where they don't belong.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #149 on: 25 Mar 2010, 01:03 »

For those who have been complaining about Jeph 'fixating' on romance,

I wanna clarify again that I'm not complaining: like I said, it actually doesn't bother me because I LIKE romantic plots. (Imma girlie girl.)  But it's something I've noticed and like I said, if I was gonna offer any critique, it's that just as he's constantly evolving his art, he might also want to look into diversifying his storytelling.  Honestly I don't care if he does, but from an objective perspective, I think it would be good to have a more varied set of tools in hand to rely on.

Oh. And I'm totally rooting for Marigold and Angus. I also want Sven back, like, bad.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up