Poll

How to tell this is a comic not reality

The laundry room isn't locked after a certain hour
- 7 (12.1%)
There are those robots...
- 6 (10.3%)
Attractive women are wandering around in their PJs outside of their apartments
- 18 (31%)
Perhaps because it's drawn and scripted?
- 13 (22.4%)
Couldn't think of anything terribly witty could you BR?
- 14 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 17-21 May 2010  (Read 77002 times)

Binary

• Curry sauce
Re: WCT 17-21 May 2010
« Reply #200 on: 21 May 2010, 04:36 »

But in the USA banknotes of all denominations are pretty much the same size, colour and design
Wait, what? Apart from being a total failure of imagination on the part of the US Treasury, doesn't that make everyday transactions confusing and error-prone?
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #201 on: 21 May 2010, 04:59 »

But in the USA banknotes of all denominations are pretty much the same size, colour and design
Wait, what? Apart from being a total failure of imagination on the part of the US Treasury, doesn't that make everyday transactions confusing and error-prone?
I guess Americans assume you can read. Or recognise the portraits of dead white men (not all of them dead Presidents despite the slang term). I confess though, that I find our different-sized, brightly-coloured polymer banknotes easier to recognise. Which is more than can be said for the portraits on them, apart from the Queen.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 05:13 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #202 on: 21 May 2010, 05:00 »

Or that you are not blind.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DoubleJ

• Plantmonster
« Reply #204 on: 21 May 2010, 05:59 »

A ruling from four years ago, and nothing's changed. Well, the bills have gotten even uglier (go to newmoney.gov and check out the $100 bill -- it looks like Photoshop threw up on it) but they're all still the same size and shape as far as I can tell.

Oh, wait... "raised printing". Yeah, I can see that lasting more than a few weeks in somebody's wallet. Just do something simple like notch the corners. A $100 has all four corners, a $50 has one knocked off, two from a $20, three from a $10, all from a $5, and make the dollar bill half-sized. But stop making real currency look like Monopoly money.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #205 on: 21 May 2010, 06:24 »

Nah, if you want Monopoly money, you need to head to Canada, eh?

(Anyone who gets the musical reference gets a fabulous no-prize)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #206 on: 21 May 2010, 06:41 »

Which is worth pretty much what yours is, and at times in the past few months, more.

Now, if you'll pardon me I need to go put a hotel on Baltic.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

jzimbert

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #207 on: 21 May 2010, 06:48 »

IMHO, hair too short.  Dora is just not attractive in the first and last panel.  But I complain when my wife gets her hair cut real short, too.  And it doesn't do any good then, either.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #208 on: 21 May 2010, 07:22 »

Most of the US bills are being redesigned this and next year anyway.  The new US $100 does have raised printing, as well as a few other features designed specifically to aide blind and visually impaired people, and is a visually different color than other dollar bills.  It's more of a teal now.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #209 on: 21 May 2010, 07:57 »

If the US treasury were to make dramatic changes to the country's paper currency while Obama was in office, can you imagine the reaction from the Fox-News-Tea-Party-Birther-John-Birch-Society-Militia-Crowd?

"OMGWTFBBQSOSHALIZMNEWWORLDORDERONEWORLDCURRENCYTHEUNISGOINGTOKILLYOURGRANDMASKITTENSBLACKCHOPPERS911OMG"

As much fun as that would be to watch, I'd rather my Government spent its time worrying about ACTUAL problems rather than waste time on ignorant fucktards.

Therefore it is better for them to modernize the currency incrementally, rather than all at once.

And they should eliminate the $1 bill and the penny altogether(except maybe for commemorative purposes). Use Dollar coins and round to the nickel.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #210 on: 21 May 2010, 08:12 »

"OMGWTFBBQSOSHALIZMNEWWORLDORDERONEWORLDCURRENCYTHEUNISGOINGTOKILLYOURGRANDMASKITTENSBLACKCHOPPERS911OMG"

:laugh:

Lily125

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #211 on: 21 May 2010, 09:06 »

Dora's hair.  No....just no.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #212 on: 21 May 2010, 12:02 »

I highly approve of the new hair. Love it love it love it. Dyketastic.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #213 on: 21 May 2010, 12:12 »

Back when I worked retail, many moons ago, a British customer asked me while fumbling with her money "How do you people tell your bills apart?"  Being the snarky teenager I was, I said "Strangely, we have this ability to read numbers."
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Nightson

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #214 on: 21 May 2010, 12:20 »

I like the color of the new hair personally.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #215 on: 21 May 2010, 13:14 »

I like this style better than the blonde; however, I think she should have dyed it but not cut it.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #216 on: 21 May 2010, 13:51 »

As much fun as that would be to watch, I'd rather my Government spent its time worrying about ACTUAL problems rather than waste time on ignorant fucktards.
Hate to break this to you, but ignorant fucktards are pretty much the root cause of every actual problem you have.

Also, most of those tea-party twerps probably wouldn't mind as long as you left "in god we trust" on there. Of course, trying to remind them that it's a recent addition and actually unconstitutional gets you blank stares. Almost the exact same stares as you get if you try to tell them the constitution was not divinely inspired or, in at least one case, not actually a book in the bible...
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #217 on: 21 May 2010, 14:11 »

IMHO, hair too short.  Dora is just not attractive in the first and last panel.  But I complain when my wife gets her hair cut real short, too.  And it doesn't do any good then, either.

Tastes differ, because I though she looked just ok in those panels but it was so wrong in the second one.
I really don't like it, then again... I don't like when people dye their hair so this is not a surprise.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 14:13 by Mr. Doctor »

akronnick

« Reply #218 on: 21 May 2010, 14:27 »

Hate to break this to you, but ignorant fucktards are pretty much the root cause of every actual problem you have.

Don't forget the greedy bastards who've convinced the ignorant fucktards what if they don't let the greedy bastard have all the money, the dirty hippies will make the baby Jesus cry.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #219 on: 21 May 2010, 14:35 »

Back when I worked retail, many moons ago, a British customer asked me while fumbling with her money "How do you people tell your bills apart?"  Being the snarky teenager I was, I said "Strangely, we have this ability to read numbers."
Heh, there had been a rather heated thread about this on I Read This, the (now defunct) fan forum of I Drew This, D.C. Simpson's (now on indefinite hiatus) editorial cartoon. My opinion was that I'd find it unnecessarily tedious to have to draw all my banknotes out of my wallet, and browse through them one by one, in order to find the one(s) I need.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 14:37 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #220 on: 21 May 2010, 15:10 »

Nazis.

There, I've officially Godwin'd the thread.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #221 on: 21 May 2010, 15:49 »

Therefore it is better for them to modernize the currency incrementally, rather than all at once.
Australians are more flexible; we've modernised our currency twice in living memory. Once when we decimalised and dumped the Australian pound for the Aussie dollar in 1966, and again in 1988 when paper banknotes were replaced with the polymer notes we use today. Our notes are now all the same width (so they can be read easily by machines) but different lengths (so that blind people can distinguish them by touch).
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #222 on: 21 May 2010, 16:15 »

There were changes to our currency here in NZ around the late '80's - early 90's (if memory serves, I tend to forget the dates),  We went from paper notes to the polymer notes and dropped the 1c and 2c coins and went to $1 and $2 coins instead of notes.  Those were the biggest changes to our currency since we went to the New Zealand Dollar from the Pound in the late '60's.  Minor changes have occurred since, but one of the mini-majors was when we dropped the 5c coin about three or four years back.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 16:19 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #223 on: 21 May 2010, 16:44 »

1. I put 1s and 5s and 10s and 20s in my wallet together. SOMEHOW I magically manage to figure out the amount of money I've given. We also have a magical, wonderful thing called credit cards. Takes the fuss out of having to deal with coins. (I loathe dealing with pennies. LOATHE.)

2. It's not real life because attractive women are walking outside in their pajamas? Maybe it's a Thing from college, but I go everywhere in a pair of pajama bottoms and a tee shirt -- GASP! SHOCK! My pajamas! (And don't start the, "Hurr, hurr, and I suppose you think you're attractive" thing. Yes, I've been told it many a time. Shh.)
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 18:22 by laizeohbeets »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #224 on: 21 May 2010, 17:31 »

We also have a magical, wonderful thing called credit cards.
Ooooh!  I bet you're one of those people who pays by credit card in the 12-items-or-less queue at the supermarket...  :x :lol:
And if you use your card, THEY  will know what you bought...

akronnick

« Reply #225 on: 21 May 2010, 17:58 »

Most places in the USA, credit card is actually the quickest way to pay. You swipe your card(without even handing it to the cashier usually) and in about ten seconds, your transaction is approved, then you sign something and you're on your way.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #226 on: 21 May 2010, 18:31 »

Yeah, it can be a pain to pay by credit card (or check) if you don't have your ID on you, but I always have my license in the same general vicinity as my card. I also know it can be a hassle if you pay at the drive-through using a card.

OH NOES, THE AUTHORITIES KNOW I BOUGHT FEMININE PRODUCTS AND CLONE WARS FRUIT SNACKS! Whatever shall I do? I'm going to overthrow the Sith and join the Rebel Legion!

jasononline

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #227 on: 21 May 2010, 19:23 »

I don't remember the last time I paid cash for anything.  Not within the last year or two, I can say that much.   I use my debit card for everything, the only time it's not easier than using cash is when I am ordering pizza or chinese food over the phone.  Much safer to carry around than cash as well, not that muggings are a common occurrence where I live.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #228 on: 21 May 2010, 19:35 »

Hate to break this to you, but ignorant fucktards are pretty much the root cause of every actual problem everyone has.
FTFY.

We're not the only ones messed up in this mad world.
Just another Joe like 46

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #229 on: 21 May 2010, 19:46 »

Short hair—BLEAH—hate it!

We also have a magical, wonderful thing called credit cards.
Ooooh!  I bet you're one of those people who pays by credit card in the 12-items-or-less queue at the supermarket...  :x :lol:
And if you use your card, THEY  will know what you bought...
THEY also put a tricksy plastic strip in all the notes that tells THEM how much cash is in your wallet, how fast you spend it, and what flavor of ice cream your mother prefers. THEY want to collect this last bit of information because THEY can.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

michi-love

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #230 on: 21 May 2010, 22:09 »

My question:

is the reference in the title to Dora's new hair, or to Hanner's mom's new pool boy?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #231 on: 21 May 2010, 22:10 »

@ raoullefere

Yes well, the Cat's have to know where their Human slaves are don't they.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #232 on: 21 May 2010, 23:08 »

I'm just compulsive enough that I'd probably be rather upset if I went to a country where all the money wasn't the same size and color, or if the US ever went to that model.  It's all got to match, damnit, or it's just unsightly or chaotic.  Like a pocketful of receipts from five different stores.

Before you ask:  change doesn't bother me because as soon as I get home, I set the quarters aside for laundry and everything else goes in the piggy.  Once a season or so I get around to taking the contents of the latter down to my bank and they turn it into crisp, identical bills or semi-imaginary numbers in my checking account.

Also:  in this college town, a large pizza of decent quality (ie, Not Dominos) with three toppings (pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives) is just over US$20.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 23:18 by St.Clair »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #233 on: 22 May 2010, 00:27 »

I wonder how Hannelore copes with money.

She must use plastic for almost everything. I can see her using easily sterilized coins for everything else, but paper money must totally squick her unless she's never stopped to think about it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #234 on: 22 May 2010, 02:51 »

Australians are more flexible; we've modernised our currency twice in living memory.

*ahem*

The current series has different lengths and little bumpy squares, circles and triangles with or without dot in it for the blind.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #235 on: 22 May 2010, 05:49 »

Boy, are you reading the wrong comic.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

thaX

• Plantmonster
« Reply #236 on: 22 May 2010, 07:33 »

I think the US should use the Dollar coin we have and not print another one dollar bill. Not a single one. Use the coins instead.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #237 on: 22 May 2010, 08:23 »

The US is too full of people who hate change too much to pull off a currency change other than incrementally.  Or changes that are completely hidden, like coppertoning those zinc pennies they use now, since copper's so expensive.  We've had dollar coins since before we were a country, but once people finally got used to paper money, with the dollar as the smallest denomination, efforts to eliminate it and replace it with a coin have consistantly failed.  For a new country, we desperately cling to our "traditions"! 

Change like this has to be done top-down, and our psuedo-republic/democracy (it's really neither) can't get away with it (hell, it can't even reform health insurance decently...).  As a limited-sight person, I know it would be better to have distinguishable bills rather than having to sort them under a bright light.  I know some people who go to great lengths to keep it all sorted out, and most have to depend on the honesty of the clerk. 

But change like that ain't gonna happen anytime soon! 

Oh, and the "now I'm re-dying it!" comment... so she's got the dye on while she puts up the laundry?  Sounds hazardous, unless all the clothes are black, or you don't mind purple spots...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #238 on: 22 May 2010, 08:44 »

Snip hate change Snipity "traditions" Snip ain't gonna happen anytime soon!  
Ye Worde.

Boy, are you reading the wrong comic.
Okay, so I should've posted "Dora's very short hair—BLEAH—hate it!"
And don't call me 'Boy.'

Call me 'Ishmael.' :-D
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 08:49 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #239 on: 22 May 2010, 09:07 »

Time to wrap this poll up while I try to think of something for the missus and I to do on our anniversary today

How to tell this is a comic not reality

The laundry room isn't locked after a certain hour  6 (13%)
There are those robots...  3 (6.5%)
Attractive women are wandering around in their PJs outside of their apartments  16 (34.8%)
Perhaps because it's drawn and scripted?  11 (23.9%)
Couldn't think of anything terribly witty could you BR?  10 (21.7%)

Total Voters: 46

Personally, I was going for the last option, but apparently not every one's as harsh a critic of me as me.

Or you're more polite.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #240 on: 22 May 2010, 14:33 »

Time to wrap this poll up while I try to think of something for the missus and I to do on our anniversary today

Happy anniversary.  Our's is Monday.  It was the Saturday before Race day when we got married near Indianapolis...

Yeah, just try to get a hotel room for your guests! 

Or you're more polite.

Ummm... not me!   :roll:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #241 on: 22 May 2010, 14:37 »

My question:

is the reference in the title to Dora's new hair, or to Hanner's mom's new pool boy?

Likely both.  Jeph is kinda clever sometimes.

Call me 'Ishmael.' :-D

I can call you Betty, and Betty, when you call me, you can call me Al.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #242 on: 22 May 2010, 16:46 »

having lived in both america and canada, i will state that $1 and $2 coins are a pain in the ass. think of it this way:  if you buy something with cash, would you rather receive three lightweight foldable bills that fit neatly in your wallet, or three large heavy coins that are going to jingle in your pocket and may or may not fall out when you sit down. now multiply this by three or four of five times. you're either digging in your pocket and counting out exact change with every transaction, or you end up walking around with great big heavy pockets full of metal by the end of the day. furthermore, it makes it really inconvenient if you prefer or for some reason have to carry your money in small denominations.

as to why americans resist changing the currency so hard, i'd say it's less a fear of change than simply that certain things are embedded really deeply into the national consciousness. simply put, money = green.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #243 on: 22 May 2010, 18:00 »

Am I the only one who thought Jeph hit the wrong color when coloring Dora's hair in Friday's strip before reading the next panel?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #244 on: 22 May 2010, 18:52 »

I wonder how Hannelore copes with money.

She must use plastic for almost everything. I can see her using easily sterilized coins for everything else, but paper money must totally squick her unless she's never stopped to think about it.

I don't think she's stopped to think about it... yet.

(Cue Monday's horror reveal as Dora accidentally sneezes on a quarter...)
Just another Joe like 46

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #245 on: 23 May 2010, 00:04 »

Hey, you actually remembered. In some circles, this is in itself overachieving, never mind arranging an activity. Of course, deduct points for every reminder Mrs. Reiver left around the bunker, double for those that actually say 'anniversary.'

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #246 on: 23 May 2010, 05:50 »

She didn't leave me any notes - this year

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #247 on: 23 May 2010, 06:14 »

having lived in both america and canada, i will state that $1 and $2 coins are a pain in the ass. think of it this way:  if you buy something with cash, would you rather receive three lightweight foldable bills that fit neatly in your wallet, or three large heavy coins that are going to jingle in your pocket and may or may not fall out when you sit down. now multiply this by three or four of five times. you're either digging in your pocket and counting out exact change with every transaction, or you end up walking around with great big heavy pockets full of metal by the end of the day.
I don't mind the Aussie $1 and $2 coins here too much. I don't put coins in my pocket (or anything else much) anyway. The one that bugs me is our 50 cent coin; it's huge, with pointy corners. Useful for throwing at ninjas (What? Australia is popular with Japanese tourists, and ninjas need vacations too), but a nuisance otherwise.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #248 on: 23 May 2010, 08:03 »

Why should you put coins in your pocket if you have a wallet anyway? I prefer coins to notes because they're easier to put in the wallet and you can cound exact change when you're waiting in line. What I don't like about swiss coins is that 10 and 20 centimes are bigger than 50 centimes and the five francs piece is a bit big.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #249 on: 23 May 2010, 12:08 »

Yeah, that bugs me about my country's coinage. In decreasing order by physical size:

50p
 10p
  2p
 £1
 20p
  1p
  5p

THIS MAKES NO SENSE!

Also I have an urgent favour to ask.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up