The handshake
- 2 (3.9%)
"Oh $#!+, she KNOWS"
- 13 (25.5%)
30-gun salute from ST & YB
- 8 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WDT: June 14-18, 2010 (1686-1690)  (Read 69281 times)

jasononline

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WDT: June 14-18, 2010
« Reply #150 on: 17 Jun 2010, 20:58 »

If knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss, then power is not bliss. No wonder everyone is D.C. is pissed off 24/7/365.

That assumes that only ignorance is bliss, only knowledge is power, and that knowledge and ignorance are mutually exclusive
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2010, 21:00 by jasononline »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #151 on: 17 Jun 2010, 22:24 »

There is no spoon
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #152 on: 18 Jun 2010, 00:34 »

OK, I thought I was just being obtuse. Had to look back through the past few comics to realize Faye and Angus weren't in the room when Tai dropped the grenade in the room.

As for all the "she couldn't say goodbye?" people: SHE DID SAY GOODBYE. A handshake is a perfectly acceptable farewell, whether accompanied by words or not. And Mari isn't exactly fast on her verbal feet; anything she did say probably would've dug a hole. "Bye Faye. Thanks for not fucking Angus in front of everyone. I MEAN I HAD A NICE YOU'RE A BITCH! I MEAN I SAW HIM FIRST! I MEAN.....oh, fuck. *runs from the room*" She figured, best to just shake and leave before she does or says something that makes Tai's pants-on-the-ground (or in the dishwasher, or whereever) escapade look normal.

And Tai might have a problem, or she just might be a bad drunk. There's a difference between being an alcoholic, and being someone who can function without booze, but who functions badly with booze. Let's not ship QC's official minidyke off to AA just yet.

In closing: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Here's hoping you get a rocket up your ass in the good way. (If you swing that way.)
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #153 on: 18 Jun 2010, 01:35 »

This thread is just so weird.

I didn't know that there aren't actually any nice guys out there, and that even if you are one, and everyone thinks you are, if you proclaim yourself to be one that gets you in the creepy horrible "Nice Guy" moniker and everyone suddenly thinks you are a douche.  Yeah someone who sits there all the time being woe is me, they want a nice guy why not me, that's a recipe for disaster.  But just saying that you are one if it comes up it shouldn't come with a bad connotation.
From what I read in this thread, I'm utterly confused what people think a nice guy is. Marten and Angus are typical nice guys/sensible softies to me, while Steven and Sven are typical bad guys/insensible machos.
Carpe Diem

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #154 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:38 »

But just saying that you are one if it comes up it shouldn't come with a bad connotation.
All proclamations of one's own personal virtue have a bad connotation. Self-righteousness is an extremely unattractive trait. In my experience, genuinely nice people let their actions speak for them. If someone, for example, proclaims their honesty, I check my purse.

As for the birthday strip... Um... I hope Sweet-Tits wears Nomex® panties.

Edit: Following the strip mod (What mod? We have always been at war with Eastasia!) my comment makes no sense.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2010, 02:18 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #155 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:23 »

I didn't know that there aren't actually any nice guys out there, and that even if you are one, and everyone thinks you are, if you proclaim yourself to be one that gets you in the creepy horrible "Nice Guy" moniker and everyone suddenly thinks you are a douche.  Yeah someone who sits there all the time being woe is me, they want a nice guy why not me, that's a recipe for disaster.  But just saying that you are one if it comes up it shouldn't come with a bad connotation.

Read the fucking thread.

Anybody that self-identifies as a "Nice Guy" is a creepy bastard, without exception.
Is there a difference between nice guy and "Nice Guy" I haven't heard of? Otherwise, facepalm.

Yes. People who just happen to be nice usually don't need to declare it or profess themselves as such. "Nice Guys" are a particular breed of men (and women too, sometimes!) who haven't been successful romantically, but are certain that they are better than "those jerks" that women keep dating instead, and blame all their romantic problems on women and the world and refuse to look at how they might in fact not be someone a woman wants to date. They are often bitter and self-pitying and can be creepy and manipulative: a patented "nice guy" move is to make friends with a woman he's interested in, never tell her he's interested, and just kind of hang around in the hopes of her eventually reciprocating, all the time complaining how she keeps dating jerks and doesn't see the "nice guy"right under her nose, when the only reason he's friends with her is that he wants to get into her pants.  He might eventually dismiss her as just "one of those bitches" for the crime of taking him at his word about the whole "friends" thing.  Or else he'll just hang around moping forever.

Even when he really doesn't do anything worse that try way too hard to please, he still doesn't get that subsuming all his desires and basically making himself a doormat for a woman is (rightly!) not an attractive quality, and it's not so much that the woman won't date him because he's nice as...well... would it be appealing to you to date someone who has no personality of their own? It's discomforting when someone never asserts any of their own wishes or preferences and just does anything to please you--not least of all because then he's not actually sharing in any of your interests but just putting up with them because of his intense need to be liked/get into your pants.

Here's the website that documents this phenomenon best:

http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml

Here's a website by a self-proclaimed "nice guy"all about how he really hates women:
http://www.the-niceguy.com/articles/Me.html

Here's a comic that I swear should be a satire, but the website for it is entirely sincere... the author genuinely believes his main character to be a poor, downtrodden, great guy who just "can't get the girl." 

http://www.theniceguycomic.com/strips-thebword.htm

notice how in the very first comic, the girl he meets and starts talking to at the coffee shop is apparently evil and insensitive because she happens to have a boyfriend. And the guy, although pretending to be super nice and everything, immediately tunes out of the conversation as soon as he hears that.

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #156 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:31 »

Nice guys are creeps, so the girls go out with the bad boys who treat them like dirt.  But at least they're not going out with creeps!

If in your world the only kinds of men in existence are clingy creepy doublefaced "nice guys" and "bad boys," sure.  I will say this: at least the bad boys are fun sometimes.

Well that is part of the problem with "Nice Guys," it's all binary.  There are passive-aggressive doormats like them and abusive jerks.  Even if the "Nice Guy's" object of affection has a very laid back boyfriend, the boyfriend was assertive enough to engage in the relationship in the first place.  There are always fights, and the "Nice Guy" always makes sure to be there for the girl.  Even if the girl was in the wrong, the "Nice Guy" now perceives the boyfriend as an abusive jerk.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #157 on: 18 Jun 2010, 06:38 »

Oh hey, Sweet-Tits in colour. A first, if I'm not mistaken.
You would be correct.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

NightOfTheLepus

• Not quite a lurker
  • How many eyes does horror have?
« Reply #158 on: 18 Jun 2010, 07:03 »

the re-appearance of Sweet Tits !

(and the countdown to Rule 34 begins....)

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #159 on: 18 Jun 2010, 07:44 »

So how long did YB lock ST in with the Shame Orb to get her to do this?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #160 on: 18 Jun 2010, 07:59 »

No idea, but I should think the shame orb is only acquiring more data at this point...
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #161 on: 18 Jun 2010, 09:17 »

This thread is just so weird.

From what I read in this thread, I'm utterly confused what people think a nice guy is. Marten and Angus are typical nice guys/sensible softies to me, while Steven and Sven are typical bad guys/insensible machos.

There's a difference between a guy is nice and a "Nice Guy(tm)." Also, about the categorizations above: um. Your bias is showing. You just seem to think any guy who is fairly sexually successful is a bad guy, or what?

Marten is a nice guy and a sensitive softie, sure. Angus? Really? I like Angus, but he can totally be a jerk sometimes. He's shown himself to be unthinkingly insensitive in what he says to people plenty, he doesn't always take "no" for an answer, and he tends to be pretty self-centered. I would not call him a "sensitive nice guy."

Meanwhile, what makes Steve, of all people, a bad guy, except for the fact that he's "macho"? (How is that automatically bad?) Steve has never been a jerk that I can remember. He tends to rush into relationships, but that if anything makes him more of a softie--he falls for girls fast, and he falls hard, and he's pretty damn loyal.  

Sven used to be a typical bad guy, yeah. He is now pretty much exactly the same as Angus, as far as I see. Means well but can sometimes act like a jerk without intending to.  Also, he's closer to "metrosexual" than "macho."

Again, though: Steve? Typical bad guy?! Steve is probably the best person to date in this whole damn comic. I would reconsider how I judge people if I were you.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2010, 09:20 by JackFaerie »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #162 on: 18 Jun 2010, 09:26 »

Apparantly, snubnose doesn't judge people. 

He categorizes them. 

Badly. 

Point is, being nice is not the same as acting nice.  And not acting nice doesn't make you "bad".  It's not all white hats and black hadlebar moustaches! 

Remember, there are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #163 on: 18 Jun 2010, 09:36 »

It's also just... Steve! I really honestly cannot recall one seriously objectionable thing Steve has ever done in this comic! I mean, I'm sure he said something stupid to women once or twice, but in relationships, I think Marten has been more of a jerk than Steve has.  At least I can recall a few instances of where Dora was rightly annoyed at him.  But as for Steve...

He fell for Ellen, dated her, was a great boyfriend, then Ellen dumped him.

He was single for a while, met Meena, was really into her, she kept telling him it was no big deal that her ex lived with her, then she dumped him for said ex.

He went away and apparently had some kind of mutual fling with Russian spy lady.

Came back and met Cosette, was totally sweet and understanding and willing to put up with all her weirdness, and is now dating her.

Where is "typical bad guy/insensible macho" in any of this?!
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2010, 09:42 by JackFaerie »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #164 on: 18 Jun 2010, 10:25 »

Well, he doesn't respect other people's personal space much. Also he did blow up that island that one time, probably killing dozens of loyal minions in the process to boot.

But yeah, he's pretty all right when you think about it.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #165 on: 18 Jun 2010, 10:48 »

At least I can recall a few instances of where Dora was rightly annoyed at him.

Which ones?

Nightson

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #166 on: 18 Jun 2010, 10:58 »

The only one I can recall off the top of my head was the whole telling Dora she was acting irrational when she was angry he didn't tell her about getting asked out.

dj_soo

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #167 on: 18 Jun 2010, 11:10 »

i don't post here much, but this "nice guy" discussion has me pulling a bit of a facepalm.

As a former Nice Guy(tm) myself, i can understand how some people might be completely self-deluded into thinking that it's somehow chivalrous to be the manipulative doormat that most Nice Guys(tm) are but after growing out of that mentality (and trust me, it took a lot longer than I care to admit), hindsight has really shown how sad and pathetic I really was.

To be honest tho, like many things wrong with this world, I ultimately blame 80s romantic comedies.  I truly believe movies like When Harry Met Sally are to blame for a lot of my fucked up notions of romance, love, and relationships.

oh, on that note - Rick Milholland had a great take on the subject too

http://somethingpositive.net/sp02142004.shtml
http://somethingpositive.net/sp02152004.shtml

I'm sure this will also be ignored by some of the self-professed "nice guys" on here, but take it from me - you'll be much happier if you ditch that attitude, grow a spine, and just start being direct to women you're attracted to.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #168 on: 18 Jun 2010, 11:45 »

It's also just... Steve! I really honestly cannot recall one seriously objectionable thing Steve has ever done in this comic! I mean, I'm sure he said something stupid to women once or twice, but in relationships, I think Marten has been more of a jerk than Steve has.  At least I can recall a few instances of where Dora was rightly annoyed at him.  But as for Steve...
[...]

Where is "typical bad guy/insensible macho" in any of this?!

Whilst you're right for the most part there have been one or two times when Steve has been a bit of a jerk:
Sara start, Sara end and he confessed (admittedly Martin successfully pleads mitigating factors in the last two panels).

Then again, nobody's perfect and we all have times when we act in ways we shouldn't.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2010, 11:47 by HiFranc »
Francisco

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #169 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:09 »

Eh.

1st case: I wouldn't call him a jerk there, especially not to Sara. Marten, maybe. But Marten also didn't have any sort of deep love for Sara, she was just a girl he thought was cute, and now he's learned she wasn't interested. Plus Steve effectively asked Marten if he minded in that strip. I'm sure had Marten objected, Steve would've kept his distance.  (Marten confronted him about his intentions before Steve had even come to a decision either way--he was just beginning to consider whether it was something he wanted to do--but I'm assuming "would Marten mind" was the main part of why he would even be weighing the options in the first place.)

2nd case: I don't think that makes him a bad guy at all. First of all, for all we know it was mutual. Not like a woman wants a relationship full of bad sex either.  Second of all, so... he went out with her and found out they were incompatible. That is exactly a reason people *should* break up. Sex is important in a relationship: satisfying sex strengthens a relationship, and unsatisfying sex weakens it (there's been studies!).  It's the same as if they broke up because they realized when hanging out, their conversation was awkward and never went anywhere.  Also, having been there, I wanna say that although someone unskilled at sex can get better with practice, if your styles just don't mesh like what Steve was describing... that can't be fixed, that's just two people not being right for each other and having different physical rhythms.

3rd case: True enough, although even if it's what he says he'd do, he's not yet done it. Also being Steve, he'd probably fall for her afterwards anyway.  (He doesn't know that Angus likes Faye in that comic, does he? I think if Steve liked another girl he'd behave like Angus did.)
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2010, 12:13 by JackFaerie »

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #170 on: 18 Jun 2010, 13:35 »

Oh hey, Sweet-Tits in colour. A first, if I'm not mistaken.
You would be correct.

Unless you count the strip where Faye scorns Angus out of CoD and someone who looks distinctly like Sweet Tits is in the background outside, having a cig.   :wink:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #171 on: 18 Jun 2010, 13:36 »

There is no spoon

addendum: the cake is a lie
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #173 on: 18 Jun 2010, 14:20 »

that strip is humorously ambiguous on the subject.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #174 on: 18 Jun 2010, 14:24 »

There is no spoon

addendum: the cake is a lie

But the pie is real.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #175 on: 18 Jun 2010, 15:05 »

Steve has attempted anal sex without permission.

Hmm. If we take Ellen's word for it then yeah, that's a major example of douchebaggery.  However, that really is just as likely to be an accident as Steve being a jerk.

Jander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #176 on: 18 Jun 2010, 15:19 »

Read the fucking thread.

Wow thanks!  I never would have thought of doing that!  I did in fact read the thread and it doesn't do anything to deter me from the thought that several posters see someone described as a nice guy and infer that as a bad thing.  I see that as silly, perhaps there should be a different nomenclature for "Nice Guy" as used here.  Nice guy isn't the only issue either, apparently if you call yourself a good person that means you aren't, or if you claim to be honest then you are really a liar or a thief.  No one should just take anyone's word regarding these things but to instantly make up your mind toward the bad connotation makes no sense to me. 

It makes me think about how someone can say "I'm not an alcoholic" and people will retort with "That's exactly what an alcoholic would say!" ignoring the fact that it is also what a non alcoholic would say.

ndperfesser

• Plantmonster
« Reply #177 on: 18 Jun 2010, 15:27 »

Looks like Sweet Tits nickname is Sweet Cheeks.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #178 on: 18 Jun 2010, 16:57 »

I think a good person would not have wished his girlfriend to contract a case of dolphin syphilis.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #179 on: 18 Jun 2010, 18:06 »

What's Marigold Up To?

Matchmaker, naturally.    - 20 (32.3%)
Monkey Wrench/Sabotaging relationship    - 4 (6.5%)
Hurting them both (Scheming Witch)    - 2 (3.2%)
Trying to see if you can program relationships.    - 11 (17.7%)
Secretly lusting after Tai.    - 2 (3.2%)
Secretly lusting after Dora.    - 1 (1.6%)
Making porridge with pornographic pancakes.    - 22 (35.5%)

Total Voters: 62
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #180 on: 18 Jun 2010, 18:35 »

I seem to recall some salient information the Shame Orb divulged about Sweet Tits a little over 6 months ago which could be critical in this situation.

The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #181 on: 18 Jun 2010, 21:43 »

I think a good person would not have wished his girlfriend to contract a case of dolphin syphilis.

That was during the heat of a breaking-up-argument. You can't hold a person responsible for what is said during a breaking-up-argument.

Now if he actually gave her dolphin syphilis, that would be a douche move.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #182 on: 19 Jun 2010, 08:04 »

Guys, guys!  Come on, we're all varying degees of good and bad.  It's the winning proportion that counts. 

Actually, what counts is the proportion that most people see.  Especially the people who know you best, the friends and loved ones. 

But we're talking about NiceGuysTM.  The ones who, consciously or not, misunderstand the dynamics of a relationship to the extent that they atempt emotional manipulation, and bitch when it fails.  The comics dj_soo posted (by the way, his name's Randy, like our favorite bandicot, not Rick) are a good examplar of the type, and I'm sure you can find many more everywhere else, including real life.  Whether or not snubnose is one is a good question.  I tend to think so, since he's routinely demonstrated an inability to think deeply enough about social interactions to really understand the concept.  Either that or he's one of the most sophisticated trolls I've ever seen...

All this adds a twist to "nice guys finish last!", too! 

So, we'll see what next week brings.  I'm thinking Angus tries to have a post-party talk with Marigold about Faye, at the very least.  And Tai wakes up naked again... but where? 

starkruzr

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #183 on: 19 Jun 2010, 12:31 »

a) Did we ever figure out who this is?  http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=721
b) Am I the only one who thinks Jeph WAAAAAY overreacted to YB launching the bottle rockets from ST's undies?
c) Am I the only one who finds the fact that question b can exist hilarious?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #184 on: 19 Jun 2010, 12:52 »

Note that Jeph has changed the Sweet-Tits comic because "on consideration" he felt it was "kind of creepy and offensive".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #185 on: 19 Jun 2010, 12:55 »

Francisco

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #186 on: 19 Jun 2010, 12:56 »

It was creepy and offensive.  That's what was funny!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #187 on: 19 Jun 2010, 13:29 »

I'll be honest, the scorch marks on her panties and yelling bird handling a zippo were what made the original comic for me!

I hope somebody has a copy of it, and can post it so it can be enjoyed by future generations...

Self editing for fear of offending someone is really not a place I thought Jeph would ever go.  It's a bit of a disappointment, really.

Edit:  I wonder what someone said to him that made him do such a thing?  I mean, it was neither more creepy nor more offensive than most other YB/ST comics...
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2010, 13:33 by Carl-E »

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #188 on: 19 Jun 2010, 14:15 »

Oh, he probably got a letter from someone who's opinion actually mattered to him.

I actually have the original; but out of respect, I'm not going to post it anywhere.  I agree it's disappointing that he feels the need to censor himself, but at the same time it's his choice to do so. 

Nightson

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #189 on: 19 Jun 2010, 16:40 »

Well I dunno.  Out of context, sure it's pretty bad, in context given yelling bird's nature it's pretty tame.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #190 on: 19 Jun 2010, 16:52 »

I hate to rag on Jeph right after his milestone birthday, but... I think this act of self-censorship is unwarranted, and the start of a very slippery slope.

It is also a serious lapse in continuity for Yelling Bird.

Yelling Bird's behaviour in the original strip was much tamer than many of the activities he describes in the QC cast Twitter feed. What he did to Sweet Tits in the original is completely in character - mistreating somebody for his own perverse ends. His behaviour in the revised strip is totally out of character.

Jeph, if you're reading this, PLEASE stop beating yourself up over this one. THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. Ask yourself, if QC fans were put off by your forays into the taboo and the scatological, would you have tens of thousands of loyal readers?

Remember, there are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.
HAH! Nobody understands me!

There is no spoon
Then what the hell am I eating this cereal with?!
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #191 on: 19 Jun 2010, 17:26 »

Meh. I DID find it needlessly misogynistic and was pretty surprised Jeph would go there, but decided to let it pass as it's Yelling Bird.

However, I think those of you all bemoaning Jeph's decision are being contradictory. No one, that I saw on twitter anyway, complained about it. Thus I accept Jeph's explanation that he woke up and decided it made him uncomfortable to have that drawing up. Thus he removed it. All of you complaining about how he's betraying something or other by removing it? Are pretty much asking him to do something he feels uncomfortable with to please you guys.

But also, self-censoring is not necessarily and instantly evil. Sometimes it's a good thing. Personally, I am glad that he decided to change the comic (and there is a difference between the YB squawking about things and having those things represented).

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #192 on: 19 Jun 2010, 17:57 »

I didn't "ask Jeph to do something he feels uncomfortable with to please you guys." And he's a REAL PERSON with real feelings, so I'm not going to pick apart his motivations in this forum the way we do with the comic characters.

I simply wanted to say (and will repeat): "PLEASE stop beating yourself up over this one." Everything else I wrote was intended to explain why I feel that way.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #193 on: 19 Jun 2010, 18:49 »

It seems that misogyny is a popular word nowadays. But it almost never applies when it's used. Misogyny is hatred of women, and has nothing to do with sexual preferences and promiscuity. Sweet-Tits being submissive to YB doesn't imply that, even while she doesn't like it, she might get aroused by it or like it in some way, or have some need to be controlled. There is nothing wrong with that, except that maybe some religious zealots might not like it because it is something sexual that has nothing to do with reproducingand because they aren't getting any 

Same for Faye punching Angus (or Marten before). It's not because she hates males. As for the ST/YB comic(first one) it's a rule 34 thing, and to be honest I looked it up on Youtube to see vids of such thing. I did noticed the majority of the vids were about males that did this.(only found a single female doing it). The second YB/ST(edited one) doesn't make much physical sense to me, as it either the propulsion of the rocket would affect YB and pull him with or would get some kind of rebound effect.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #194 on: 19 Jun 2010, 19:12 »

Personally, I blame Jackass the Movie.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #195 on: 19 Jun 2010, 19:13 »

did I imagine the original friday comic or did it change?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

jasononline

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #196 on: 19 Jun 2010, 21:38 »

Why does anyone care that Jeph changed the comic?  He didn't like a strip so he changed it, I don't really see what's the problem with that.  Self-censorship would be him changing it to avoid offending his readers; it seems more likely that he just didn't like it (he even said he found it a bit weird on his twitter before he posted it).

kattyc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #197 on: 19 Jun 2010, 21:42 »

Not really understanding what the comic was about (30 gun salute? Rule 34? ???), it did leave me with a bad taste, like I'd just watched someone being abused or something. It didn't appear that Sweet Tits was enjoying herself and it just seemed kind of wrong. But if someone would like to explain, I'd be much obliged.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #198 on: 19 Jun 2010, 22:46 »

Nah, it was just a bird shooting bottle rockets out someone's asscrack.  Now it's less offensive, because it's someone shooting bottle rockets out of a bird's asscrack. 

Beaten by Nuns

• Plantmonster
« Reply #199 on: 19 Jun 2010, 23:17 »

Nah, it was just a bird shooting bottle rockets out someone's asscrack.  Now it's less offensive, because it's someone shooting bottle rockets out of a bird's asscrack.

Just let PETA find out and THEN it'll be offensive.  :roll:

Bottom line man, it's ok to make fun of every thing and every one, PERIOD! Since when is ANYTHING sacred these days anyhow? We live in a day and age where "Respect for the dead" means that it's ok to make fun of Cass Elliot for choking to death on a ham sandwich. But that's what a sense of humor is though - a sense of humor is the ability to find humor within something, regardless as to how morbid, sacrilegious, or just plain wrong something is - reaching inside and finding that one little quirk that brings a grin to your face. ANY subject can be made light of, ANY subject. Doesn't matter what it is. My advice to those people who like to complain about EVERY LITTLE THING is to just put on a damn smile, stop being so self righteous, get a grip, and join the rest of us who find enjoyment out of Jeph's hard work.

People that try to seperate what's alright to make fun of and what isn't are a bunch of asses. In reality, it's either everything or nothing at all - because once you put limits on one thing, you gotta put a limit on another to please some other asshole, and so on, and so on, and so on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up