The handshake
- 2 (3.9%)
"Oh $#!+, she KNOWS"
- 13 (25.5%)
30-gun salute from ST & YB
- 8 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDT: June 14-18, 2010 (1686-1690)  (Read 68576 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WDT: June 14-18, 2010
« Reply #200 on: 20 Jun 2010, 00:04 »

Limits are what enable society to exist; you can't just ditch them completely.  What  limits to have is another matter, and changes throughout history.

And FWIW, I found the original uncomfortable - though the replacement is tame, because it's a fixup rather than a carefully thought out image.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #201 on: 20 Jun 2010, 00:42 »

Alas, I wish I'd known it was going to be changed, I would have saved the original for poster(ior)ity.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #202 on: 20 Jun 2010, 01:48 »

I seem to recall some salient information the Shame Orb divulged about Sweet Tits a little over 6 months ago which could be critical in this situation.

I suspect it is.  Maybe the Shame Orb caused YB to reign back his ideas?

I admit that I'm curious as to what prompted the change (i.e. what caused Jeph to change his mind).
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2010, 02:12 by HiFranc »
Francisco

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #203 on: 20 Jun 2010, 03:17 »

...I caught the change (and yes, I have the original, and no, I am not going to post it).

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kharn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #204 on: 20 Jun 2010, 06:20 »

I always thought the whole point of yelling bird was to be as offensive as possible.  Change it back.  :cry:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #205 on: 20 Jun 2010, 08:17 »

Why does anyone care that Jeph changed the comic?  He didn't like a strip so he changed it, I don't really see what's the problem with that.  Self-censorship would be him changing it to avoid offending his readers; it seems more likely that he just didn't like it (he even said he found it a bit weird on his twitter before he posted it).
my comment had nothing to do with it, I just wanted to see if I was going crazy or not
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

steveh11

• Plantmonster
    • steveh11's story page
« Reply #206 on: 20 Jun 2010, 09:02 »

*I* definitely preferred the original, but it's not me that draws the comic, it's Jeph.  His comic, his rules...

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own Laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #207 on: 20 Jun 2010, 10:30 »

I didn't "ask Jeph to do something he feels uncomfortable with to please you guys." And he's a REAL PERSON with real feelings, so I'm not going to pick apart his motivations in this forum the way we do with the comic characters.

I simply wanted to say (and will repeat): "PLEASE stop beating yourself up over this one." Everything else I wrote was intended to explain why I feel that way.

Seconded.  I was under the (apparantly false) impression that it was some tweets or other complaints that made him change it, not his own uneasiness.  Bu the fact is, the original came from his own conscious/subconscious/id/ego/whatever's in there, and it was funny.  Weird, yes;  Offensive, probably (to some), when isn't YB offensive?  But his instincts were fine.  By second guessing himself, it really lessened the strip. 

Although to be honest, if we never saw the original, would we be nearly as dissapointed with the revised version? 

I think not... it's still pretty funny, in a mild-grossout way.  Still not as funy as YB handling a Zippo, but when you put cloaca into the punchline, it helps. 

It's Jephs's strip, and if he's not comfortable with the original, that's his business.  But I will say that for most artists, second guessing your instincts can be a serious mistake.  So again, "PLEASE stop beating yourself up over this one."
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
« Reply #208 on: 20 Jun 2010, 12:52 »

So, uh, I guess no one noticed the retweet of an apparent interview Jeph did on Naked News?

I will say now that I have not seen or looked for said interview  :-P
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #209 on: 20 Jun 2010, 16:53 »

I, too, regret that Jeph is second-guessing himself. I do it all the time, and god only knows how much I detest that and wish like hell I could get over it. I know why I do it, but it doesn't help me stop it, and it does fuck-all to my creativity, such as it is, or isn't.

Damn. Doing it again.

Anyway, in that spirit…
Meh. I DID find it needlessly misogynistic and was pretty surprised Jeph would go there, but decided to let it pass as it's Yelling Bird.
So it would've been cool if it'd been, say, Steve, with Cosette lighting the fuse?
There is a difference between the YB squawking about things and having those things represented
Ah. So it's okay to write about something; just don't draw pictures of it.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #210 on: 20 Jun 2010, 19:12 »

I respect Jeph's decision to alter his comics as he sees fit. That said, it's a little strange he should get qualms about the firecracker strip when he posts much, much more disgusting cartoons on his LJ (e.g. a dog ass-fucking David Willis, during Jeph's pretend-feud with him) and, more recently, on his Tumblr (e.g. a birthday card he did for a friend showing Sweet-Tits flashing the recipient as all sorts of gross things fly out of her breasts and Yelling Bird ejaculates).

So tell me, what's the difference between Jeph posting those sorts of things in his online journals, which are after all available for everyone to read, and his doing so in QC? Again, his decision, but it doesn't make much sense.

skine

• Not quite a lurker
  • Music, Mathematics, Ultimate
« Reply #211 on: 20 Jun 2010, 20:18 »

The issue I have is with the story leading up to the original and the "redo."

In the former, YB has somehow talked ST into begrudgingly doing something sexy and dangerous to ST.

In the latter, YB has somehow talked ST into begrudgingly doing something that might harm YB and could be interpreted as slightly homoerotic.

So which makes more sense: YB does what YB always does to ST, or ST doesn't want to kill YB (which she has already attempted) and YB willingly compromises himself.

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #212 on: 20 Jun 2010, 20:44 »

Bad redo, because you can only properly see what's happening if you already saw the original.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #213 on: 20 Jun 2010, 21:16 »

Deleted by author due to crazy.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2010, 07:18 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #214 on: 20 Jun 2010, 21:26 »

<facepalm_level=MASSIVE>
Just another Joe like 46

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #215 on: 20 Jun 2010, 21:32 »

I'd have to say they were both appropriate for Yelling Bird... but the first was much funnier, "offensive" as it might have been.  Good luck writing Yelling Bird without being offensive.

I will say that this new strip is more Sweet-Tits, however.

Fhqwhgads

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #216 on: 21 Jun 2010, 00:08 »

I always thought the whole point of yelling bird was to be as offensive as possible.  Change it back.  :cry:

Tanman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #217 on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:28 »

lame replacement comic is lame.

One of the points of web comics is no censorship.

Yelling Bird just got his testicles burned off.

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #218 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:23 »

It was creepy and offensive.  That's what was funny!

I'd like to know why anyone actually thought the first one was 'creepy and offensive' (or funny).  If Sweet Tits hadn't been doing it voluntarily, it would've been offensive.  But she wasn't forced.  I think a lot of people who might've been offended were mixed up.  You guys weren't angry because it was creepy! You guys were offended that it was completely unfunny! 

And the replacement would only be funny if Yelling Bird ended up flying off with one of the rockets.  Either an explosion or mild charring would've been enough for me.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #219 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:27 »

I found the funny in the details.  YB with the Zippo in both talons.  The scorch marks on ST's panties from the rocket's red glare.  Ad the fact that YB talked/coerced/forced her into doing it in the first place. 

I mean, how drunk would you have to be before this agreeing to something like this? 

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #220 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:32 »

I found the funny in the details.  YB with the Zippo in both talons.  The scorch marks on ST's panties from the rocket's red glare.  Ad the fact that YB talked/coerced/forced her into doing it in the first place. 

I mean, how drunk would you have to be before this agreeing to something like this? 

Was she drunk?  If that's the case, then it makes it a little more plausible.  If she wasn't(and I know Sweet Tits isn't exactly a deep character or anything) it just doesn't seem in-character for her to fall for something like that (especially 30 times...for no particular reason other than to amuse the author of the strip).

But even if *I* didn't like it, I'm so glad someone can actually tell me why they do (i.e. the zippo in the talons/scorch marks) rather than just 'it's just funny!'. 

Chipmissioner

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #221 on: 21 Jun 2010, 11:09 »

I liked the original the most.  I liked the little talons clutching the lighter.  I thought ST's angry face was absolutely perfectly drawn.  And honestly, I think it fit in better with the overall concept of what ST has been so far, and her interactions with Yelling Bird.

The new one's not bad.  I think if it were the original, no one would be saying it was "dumb" or "lame" (although to be fair, the whole trajectory issue does bother me a little bit, but whatever). 

If Jeph changed it because of his own feelings on the original, than none of us have any real reason to tell him to change it back (as some, but not all, have done).  No artist should have to keep up a drawing they personally are not comfortable with, and if that's the case I actually applaud Jeph for sticking with what he personally thinks is right...it takes some balls to admit you crossed over your own boundaries.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #222 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:11 »

I think the "shock value" was sort of the point of the first version of Friday's b-day strip.  I was surprised that he changed it, but no biggie -- it's his prerogative anyway.  Maybe Jeph's new criteria for strips is "Would I want this in one of my books?"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #223 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:12 »

The original made me uncomfortable, and it seemed out of character for her.

Guys, in the end, it's Jeph's comic and he is going to do what he wants. (This is not a bad thing.) I can't think of a time when people complaining on the forums ever convinced him to do anything.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #224 on: 21 Jun 2010, 13:55 »

If we're not going to complain, then what the heck are the forums for?  I mean, I agree that pissing and moaning is not a means to an end. 

Pissing and moaning is the end in and of itself...

Jander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #225 on: 21 Jun 2010, 14:25 »

I guess my issue with it is, once it published it's kind of in bad form to take it back or retcon it.

It would be like if Pixar decided today, oh crap we don't like the ending of Toy Story 3, and even tho 10 million people already went and saw it.  We're going to pull it from theaters, switch it out with a toned down version and never show the original ever again.  You never see a band sell a thousand albums and then do a recall to change one song.

It's perfectly acceptable for an artist to create something and decide they aren't comfortable with it and decide to change it, but once you put it out there I dont think you should make that change.  Or if you think a change is better, then make an additional piece of art, don't replace the original work.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #226 on: 21 Jun 2010, 14:35 »

Did you read that, George Lucas, you OBSESSIVELY MEDDLING BASTARD?!
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #227 on: 21 Jun 2010, 15:18 »

But in this case, it's not related to the main story.  It's more like Pixar changing the short film at the beginning of the movie after the opening week (if they even do those anymore).
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #228 on: 21 Jun 2010, 15:22 »

Why was it creepy and offensive?  It's sort of hard to explain.  There's the whole 'violence against women' angle, but I don't think that was the only thing which Jeph didn't like about it.  It was probably the cumulative scenario; ST's look of utter disgust and anger, the implied coercion, the burnt panties (and whatever physical trauma you could draw from that), Yelling Bird acting like Yelling Bird, as well as the idea that YB was going to set off another 27 rockets, all in an attempt to celebrate the artist's birthday.  I could find it slapstick funny the same way I used to find cartoons like Tom and Jerry funny (granted, I was about 12 then...) but at the same time I can see why it's creepy.  Hell, a lot of Tex Avery cartoons were creepy if you thought too much about them.

Jander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #229 on: 21 Jun 2010, 15:31 »

But in this case, it's not related to the main story.  It's more like Pixar changing the short film at the beginning of the movie after the opening week (if they even do those anymore).

So because ST and YB are minor characters(or even unrelated to QC characters) their stories aren't important?

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #230 on: 21 Jun 2010, 15:42 »

If we're not going to complain, then what the heck are the forums for?  

Fo' real.

I once read in a Skeptic magazine: 'We need to be diligent in explaining ourselves in a calm, rational manner when we disagree with something.  We also must make our material accessible to anyone and everyone, otherwise we're merely spreading the word to those who already believe as we do.  (see: preaching to the choir)

Honestly, as long as everyone is being civil, there's no reason that opinions shouldn't be expressed.  It's healthy to take others' viewpoints into consideration.  I think so far everyone has been very amicable in expressing our distaste/etc., so...good on us. 

And I'm pretty sure it is already understood that it's Jeph's comic and he can do as he pleases.  No one is debating that. ;)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #231 on: 21 Jun 2010, 16:04 »

Personally, I'd like to put the two strips together, with the new one changed to "12 more to go." At first glance, that's what I thought had happened, but then I clicked 'previous.'

As for Tex Avery, Looney Toons, and the like, sure they're disturbing. At some level you're getting a direct look into the artist's mind—that's always going to be disturbing. We spend a massive amount of effort suppressing this and that urge, impulse and thought, but for one moment you're getting the raw deal. Worse, it threatens to expose your raw deal. That can, indeed, be very uncomfortable, even frightening.

But that doesn't mean I don't still laugh at  Duck! Rabbit, Duck! when I see Daffy get his bill blown off. Part of laughter, I think, involves being uncomfortable, or dealing with the uncomfortable. All the pathos and pain Daffy goes through trying to outsmart Bugs is funny, maybe because it's pathos and pain, but removed by being centered on a ridiculously unrealistic cartoon character who never dies  and even sticks the bill right back on, making it 'safe' to laugh. You know, like a talking, abusive sparrow. I think Jeph's been pretty careful to keep YB and Sweet-tits out of QC's mainstream reality, giving them some of that same distance.

Anyway, I'd have thought the situation every bit as funny if not moreso if it'd been Steve and Marten* (though I can't work out who'd be funnier lighting the rocket). Upset with the violence? Fair enough. But to try to tie this strip to misogyny when nothing is being done to the female character specifically because of her gender says far more about the folks making those accusations than it does about Jeph. Last time I looked (very recently, I assure you) both sexes had ass cheeks capable of holding a rocket stem.

Well, mostly. I guess Steve would have to be the launch platform.

*It would resonate more strongly with the 'light a match' family of semi-scatological humor. Girls aren't so much into that, so far as I know. But it fits in with Jeph, who is famous for his fart jokes.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #232 on: 22 Jun 2010, 00:40 »

i was thinking about this, and while i still don't get what is particularly offensive about someone firing bottle rockets from their intergluteal cleft, i suspect what jeph thought was creepy was not so much the comic it's self, as it was the idea of marking his birthday with such a comic. it is conceivable that someone (particularly someone unfamiliar with the yelling bird character) might read it as a sort of 'gift to himself' and infer that jeph actually rather enjoys the idea. to such a person, jeph might very likely appear to be a creepy motherfucker.

if he had used it to denote any other special event, this might not have been a concern.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2010, 00:42 by J »

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #233 on: 22 Jun 2010, 01:07 »

Bottom line is, we'll probably never know what was going through his mind when he took it down; and for that matter, we'll never know what was going through his mind when he put it up.  Just as with any of his comics, we can only speculate. 

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #234 on: 22 Jun 2010, 11:38 »

So because ST and YB are minor characters(or even unrelated to QC characters) their stories aren't important?

Well...yeah.  They're filler, Jeph says so himself all the time.

Jander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #235 on: 22 Jun 2010, 13:47 »

they don't matter to the qc cast, but that doesn't mean they can't matter in their own right.  If they have no purpose, if there isn't some intrinsic value to the existence of the strip then why bother making one at all?  Why not just have a post saying no comic, it's still art and it was still displayed to the public as art.

And i'm sure the pixar people don't just do their shorts as "filler"  Quantity of content doesn't define quality or artistic value thereof.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #236 on: 22 Jun 2010, 14:02 »

Sweet Tits was supposed to be your basic filler character punching bag.  Problem was that only worked out for about 5 minutes because Jeph is not Dan Kim. 

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #237 on: 22 Jun 2010, 23:39 »

Bottom line is, we'll probably never know what was going through his mind when he took it down; and for that matter, we'll never know what was going through his mind when he put it up.  Just as with any of his comics, we can only speculate. 
Err... if you take parts of content out of context, it always might appear extremely different.

Theres nothing you can do about it.
Carpe Diem

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #238 on: 23 Jun 2010, 07:02 »

Moment Of The Week:

Marigold's Triumphant Return    - 5 (10.4%)
"IT'S NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!"    - 6 (12.5%)
"So, you're not REALLY Mad at him?"    - 0 (0%)
"Wait, what the hell was THAT about?"    - 0 (0%)
Total Sucker Rule Violation    - 7 (14.6%)
"Aww, what're You, my MOM?"    - 0 (0%)
"I'm becoming inured to this."    - 8 (16.7%)
The handshake    - 2 (4.2%)
"Oh $#!+, she KNOWS"    - 12 (25%)
30-gun salute from ST & YB    - 8 (16.7%)

Total Voters: 48
Just another Joe like 46

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #239 on: 23 Jun 2010, 17:44 »

they don't matter to the qc cast, but that doesn't mean they can't matter in their own right.  If they have no purpose, if there isn't some intrinsic value to the existence of the strip then why bother making one at all?  Why not just have a post saying no comic, it's still art and it was still displayed to the public as art.

And i'm sure the pixar people don't just do their shorts as "filler"  Quantity of content doesn't define quality or artistic value thereof.

Perhaps saying their story isn't important was an exaggeration; I'm saying if Jeph thought they were as important as the main story he would do a separate comic for them.  The whole point of filler (as I understand anyway) is to provide a quick one-off gag when Jeph's too busy to do a regular comic. And to suggest that I was saying that Jeph could simply put up a blank comic and that it would be of the same value seems kind of silly to me; it's not as if filler serves no purpose whatsoever.

Also: Pixar short films certainly aren't filler - I often find them to be quite clever and fun.  I just think it's a better comparison than the main story of Toy Story 3.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #240 on: 24 Jun 2010, 01:36 »

The Pixar short films are actually there for testing new technology iirc.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #241 on: 25 Jun 2010, 16:58 »

I'd say that Marten was a bit of a doormat and a bit desperate, but he didn't pretend to be someone's friend in hopes of getting to sleep with them.

You mean not counting the central plot of the first 500 strips?

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #242 on: 25 Jun 2010, 17:11 »

He wasn't pretending anything then.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up