The Meaningful Silence
- 4 (4.5%)
Faye's Panic Attack
- 1 (1.1%)
Marten's peeking out
- 11 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 23-27 August 2010 (1736-1740)  (Read 121028 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: WCDT 23-27 August 2010
« Reply #150 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:52 »

Are we going to ditch Toto for B.B. King next week?
Not popular enough, let's go with Satchmo.

Dude, the song was the point, not the artist...

Also, how many of us have had a cryptic question asked by a significant other?  Especially at a time when, when you wake up later, you will have forgotten completely about it.  There's obviously something preying on their mind, but you have no idea what or why, and never will.

And, probably, neither will they...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Xader

• Plantmonster
« Reply #151 on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:14 »

So I guess I'm the only one who noticed that Dora is sleeping in her birthday suit?   :evil:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #152 on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:17 »

So I guess I'm the only one who noticed that Dora is sleeping in her birthday suit?   :evil:

...Unless you have x-ray eyes, you can only guess that she's sleeping topless.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #153 on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:43 »

Isn't that how most people sleep?  I'm always a little surprised to see Marten wearing clothes in bed...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #154 on: 26 Aug 2010, 07:14 »

Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Best sentence written in the English language.

Ever.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

DorkRawk

• Not quite a lurker
    • Dinosaurs Eat Everybody
« Reply #155 on: 26 Aug 2010, 08:25 »

Random thought on "metal covers".   I'll I've really wanted in life is to hear a Protest The Hero cover of The Mariner's Revenge Song.
Mount Saint Awesome - a comic about rock and roll and everything else
The American Autumn (my band)
Dinosaurs Eat Everybody

Zipperstuck

• Plantmonster
« Reply #156 on: 26 Aug 2010, 09:05 »

Hold The Line is a nice song too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsIQNUWK2LM

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #157 on: 26 Aug 2010, 10:30 »

Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Ever.

It does convey a sense of noble resignation and acceptance of the inevitable, doesn't it? Much like the end of the Epic of Gilgamesh, except that ol' Gil didn't have a dick-broom.

Sapnish

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #158 on: 26 Aug 2010, 10:35 »

So then am I the only one here bothered by how tiny their pillows are?

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #159 on: 26 Aug 2010, 10:42 »

Although with regards to aha I'll confess to liking The Sun Always Shines on TV more than Take on Me, so maybe these one/two-hit-wonder bands do provide a meaningful choice after all.

I'm with you on that.   :wink:  The whole Toto thing came out of a conversation that was obviously about guilty musical pleasures, though, so it's not like these folks are all massive Toto fans.  Then again, maybe Jeph is saying that if you scratch the surface of an indie nerd you'll find a fan of shrill top 40 soft rock/synth-pop.

And I agree with Tergon that the exchange between Marten and Dora was rational or at least understandable from both perspectives.  The thing is, Marten and Dora are past the early relationship/"honeymoon" phase, as they established in a previous comic -- I think seeing Faye in the glow of the early phase just made Marten miss that and caused him to wonder about his own relationship.  He's got the "late-night worries" but he'll get past it.

And . . . dick-broom?  Lemme guess, once you start sweeping, the bristles get bigger, but not as big as you expected, and not all at the same time . . .
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2010, 10:43 by Heliphyneau »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #160 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:06 »

Is Marten actually bothered that Dora doesn't like Toto?

It's fine if he's becoming more tolerant of popular music, but souring a relationship because somebody else doesn't like it is a little obnoxious.  Especially since it bears the implication that all people who don't like popular music are just hipsters pretending not to in order to seem cool.

I hope this isn't leading to a fan-servicy Marten/Faye relationship.  Just for once in a work of fiction I'd like to see the most obvious will they/won't they couple move on and get lives of their own instead of going for the fairy-tale romantic-comedy fan-pleaser ending.

QC used to assert itself against formula 'Pair these two existing characters together for fun' romances.  I hope it can get back to that.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #161 on: 26 Aug 2010, 13:13 »

I really don't think Marten and Faye are getting together.

Taigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #162 on: 26 Aug 2010, 13:18 »

This is Marten's second late-night-sigh (Ok, he didn't sigh this time, but still...)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #163 on: 26 Aug 2010, 13:24 »

Not popular enough, let's go with Satchmo.
First, as Carl points out, the song was the point. Second, if popularity is the criteria, then there's a problem. Pops has very little in the best-known stuff from his catalog that's suitable for that panel; by and large, Armstrong's most popular music is relentlessly cheerful, or at worst wistful. For every "St. James Infirmary" there seems to be several "Big Butter and Egg Man's." That could be because he was a jazz musician, not a bluesman.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #164 on: 26 Aug 2010, 13:26 »

but no shoulder straps or sleeves;  & how comfortable are tube-tops for sleeping...?

Yeah, the preponderance of opinion & reason is clearly against Marten-Faye at this point, & has been for a few years...  
But some little vestigial part of me always WANTED to see M&F together, and the primal reptile brain doesn't give up its desires just because other humans have convincing rational arguments.

[ Maybe in the far future, when QC wants to wrap everything up & finish with a bang, so to speak...  (cringe) :cry: ]

...silly rabbit; now that Jeph has set up the pieces, we can draw our own ...conclusions. (& post them on 4chan, or wherever.)
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2010, 13:49 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

westrim

« Reply #165 on: 26 Aug 2010, 14:13 »

Wth?  :? Why are so many people voting that Marten will freak out over Fayngus? He's the least likely to freak out, by stated philosophy, general not-freaking-out personality, and because he already knows. What's the reasoning behind picking him?

In before responses ignoring my questions and focusing on the use of Fayngus.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #166 on: 26 Aug 2010, 14:47 »

Marten is an everyman.  As such, everyone projects their own emotional baggage on him. 

And for a lot of people on this board, Fayngus seems to generate some pretty serious baggage! 

But I agree.  Marten's just got the late night starin-at-the-ceiling blues. 

He'll be fine in the morning, with the exception of every Toto song he can remember running through his brain! 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #167 on: 26 Aug 2010, 17:07 »

BOY am I glad someone mentioned this. What are they sleeping on, stolen airline pillows?
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #168 on: 26 Aug 2010, 17:11 »

This is Marten's second late-night-sigh (Ok, he didn't sigh this time, but still...)
...And within a few weeks of that strip, we had the "Sven The Douchebag" arc.

This is why I take that look in today's last panel with trepidation. SOMEone in this strip is about to get dumped on by an ocean of fecal matter that no dick-broom can sweep away.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #169 on: 26 Aug 2010, 17:14 »

but no shoulder straps or sleeves;  & how comfortable are tube-tops for sleeping...?

<snip>

I should clarify: you can't see if she's completely naked under the covers. Ergo, you can only guess/assume that she's sleeping topless (because of the lack of straps/sleeves).
Just another Joe like 46

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #170 on: 26 Aug 2010, 17:50 »

...And within a few weeks of that strip, we had the "Sven The Douchebag" arc.

This is why I take that look in today's last panel with trepidation. SOMEone in this strip is about to get dumped on by an ocean of fecal matter that no dick-broom can sweep away.

OH MY GOD MARTEN'S SIGHS ARE PROPHETIC.

Ok it may be a little early to draw that conclusion  :lol:

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #171 on: 26 Aug 2010, 18:01 »

Marten may be troubled, and Sven may have something else to add to his blue funk, but Faye is most likely to freak out in the morning when she realizes, well, whatever it is she thinks tonight means by then.

Someone pointed out (more or less) that Faye's headpat was her 'revenge' on Marten for hooking up with Dora. God, I hope not, since that would make her the pettiest, least self-aware shit on the planet. I do think Faye's trying to tell herself it wouldn't have worked between Marten and her, constructing one of those fictions we so love to create after the fact to make ourselves feel better. The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder what right she has to give a dismissive head-pat*. It wasn't Marten who called things to a halt, nor who would not 'allow' him to wait for her, nor who strung him along all that time before. Maybe she couldn't, maybe she wouldn't, but either way, Faye's the one who didn't give them a chance.

The more I think about it, the less Marten's look means the thrill is gone and the more it means he regrets what he missed, even if it's through no fault of his own. Of course, Dora has no way of knowing, but it is too bad she's still sleep-deprived. It may be nothing, but it may be she could've headed off a wagonload of trouble just then with a different response. Though, I have to admit, it was candid and not unexpected from a fan of Opeth.

BOY am I glad someone mentioned this. What are they sleeping on, stolen airline pillows?
Maybe they're using those  buckwheat pillows that were being sold on T.V. and at various fine retail outlets. "Mt. Fuji" or somesuch.

*May not be, but it surely seems like it.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #172 on: 26 Aug 2010, 18:45 »

Marten's just got the late night starin-at-the-ceiling blues.
Cue bitchin' wailin' mouth-organ riff!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Sapnish

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #173 on: 26 Aug 2010, 18:53 »

a dismissive head-pat

It didn't look like a head-pat to me, the motion lines imply rubbing, not patting. SHE WAS MUSSING HIS HAIR, IT MEANS THEY ARE IN LUVE AND WILL MAKE LOTS OF BABBIES!

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #174 on: 26 Aug 2010, 18:58 »

I sure as hell hope so.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #175 on: 26 Aug 2010, 19:17 »

I'm a little puzzled by all this talk of "favourite Toto songs." I have nothing against the band. It's just that I can remember when "Africa" and "Rosanna" first came out, and AFAIK those are the only Toto songs the average person would even have heard of, then or now. Angus, Faye and Marten might as well have used Naked Eyes, a-ha or Falco songs as a compatibility litmus test.
This.
Seconded.

lunchmeat

• Plantmonster
« Reply #176 on: 26 Aug 2010, 20:21 »

I'm a little puzzled by all this talk of "favourite Toto songs." I have nothing against the band. It's just that I can remember when "Africa" and "Rosanna" first came out, and AFAIK those are the only Toto songs the average person would even have heard of, then or now. Angus, Faye and Marten might as well have used Naked Eyes, a-ha or Falco songs as a compatibility litmus test.
This.
Seconded.
Fourthed.

Wait what are we talking about?
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2010, 20:25 by lunchmeat »

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #177 on: 26 Aug 2010, 20:47 »

Are their pillows too small, or are their heads too big?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Sapnish

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #178 on: 26 Aug 2010, 20:58 »

Are their pillows too small, or are their heads too big?
Both. Proportionally, the pillows should at least cover the width of the bed, if it's a full sized bed and standard sized pillows. so unless that's a Califoria King and those are travel pillows... they are too small.

But Dora and Marten do have giant heads, also.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #179 on: 26 Aug 2010, 21:49 »

I've had a suspicion for awhile now that Maren and Dora's relationship is not going to last.

I'm not exactly sure on comic time, but I'd wager a guess that Marten has been dating Dora for well over a year now. Now I know that relationships start with an initial flare that dies down, but their relationship is looking seriously stagnated from my side. Whether it's from hesitation on Marten's part, Dora's paranoia, or a little of both, the pair seem like they are going nowhere, fast.

I believe that Marten's look in the last panel was something more than Dora brushing him off. I think Marten just finally realized that Faye is over him, and that his chance is very much gone. Even though Marten has stayed incredibly faithful to Dora and seemed to have no interest in another girl, he has always had the thought in the back of his head, that at any time he could have Faye. If things didn't work out with Dora, he figured, Faye could always be right there.

But now that's gone, and Marten has to take a hard look at where he is. Alone, in a relationship that is going nowhere fast, suddenly without his subconscious safety net. I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty contemplative there myself.

This is all on Marten's head now: Dora knows nothing about this. Maybe he'll just let the thought rest and leave it at that. Maybe he'll try to advance his own relationship. Maybe he'll panic, and in his haste, ruin it. I don't know, I'm not Jeph and I don't have a complete grasp on the minds of the characters.

All I know is that look Marten is showing us means some changes for him, one way or another.
I had something witty to put down here but.....

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #180 on: 26 Aug 2010, 22:27 »

Now it occurs to me that Dora didn't mention that when going through Collette's resume.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #181 on: 26 Aug 2010, 23:19 »

Ever.

It does convey a sense of noble resignation and acceptance of the inevitable, doesn't it? Much like the end of the Epic of Gilgamesh, except that ol' Gil didn't have a dick-broom.

Oh, God, but can you imagine if he DID?
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #182 on: 27 Aug 2010, 00:27 »

Today's comic made me sad.  :cry:

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #183 on: 27 Aug 2010, 00:42 »

This.
Seconded.
Fourthed.

Wait what are we talking about?
They also know "Hold the Line." I did my own poll elsewhere.

I sure as hell hope so.
I don't know if I really want some sort of Marten-Dora meltdown just for the sake of celebrating B.B., but that would be the silver lining.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #184 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:30 »

OK, I know I've done this before, but I'm going to date myself now. 

(What?  It beats dating anyone else in here!)

So I'm young / old enough to recall all these Toto songs being in serious top 40 rotation. 

But I'm also of an age that, whenever I heard the song "99" back then, all I could think of was...

Points to the youngsters who recognize her without looking her up.  That means not you, GOM. 

It was my favorite show! 

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #185 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:31 »

dicks lol

now faye has seen it will there be an reverse one as well?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #186 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:38 »

Oh yeah, another classy note to end the week on!  Or with... ?

Marten, revealing more than just how nice a guy he is! 

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #187 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:38 »

Hooooooooooboy.  Now, I'd like to think this isn't going anywhere hella-hella drama-ish, but then there's this panel.

Only God, Professor X and Jeph himself know what exactly's running through Marty's head at that moment, but I think we can all take a pretty decent guess that it was somehow relationship-brand awkwardness.  And you just *know* it's gonna crop up and cause some troubles.

DAMN YOU, BROOM MADE ENTIRELY FROM DICKS
YOU ARE WORSE THAN USELESS
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #188 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:39 »

Score! I knew Faye would crack.

Now, we're left wondering if the cause of Marten's protrusion is an agitated, panicky Faye, or having just come away from sharing a bed with a possibly nekkid Dora. I'm hoping that it's the later, because the former is really, really twisted. Even a comic character doesn't need that kind of fetish.

Mojo

« Reply #189 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:54 »

All I can say is, there's a reason I wear briefs.  Between Marten and Sven, boxers just can't handle the job.

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #190 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:57 »

I am now over my fanboy rage. Funny as hell.

As for the alternates, my fave is the third one down. True story: I'm with a girl, I'm hanging out (in the same way Marten was) she says, "Do. Not. Move." and slowly raises her hand. I close my eyes, thinking she's about to smack a fly.

She slaps my balls. HARD.

After my vision clears, I say "You got it, right?"

She looks at me for a moment, then says, "Got what?"

I glare at her, she just says "Put those away, or stop wearing boxers!" and leaves the room.

That is the only story about me getting hit in the balls that I think is funny. The rest are way too painful, and all involve me hitting back.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #191 on: 27 Aug 2010, 02:07 »

That should have been one of the stories where you hit back. Seriously, she had no call to smack you in the nuts like that unless you were about to rape her or something. Otherwise she was just being a hellbitch.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #192 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:22 »

2 words for you - Boxer Briefs

Best of both worlds

And if it's poking out, its because that's what you intended.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #193 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:25 »

Points to the youngsters who recognize her without looking her up.  That means not you, GOM. 

It was my favorite show! 

Oh, HELL yeah!  That's Barbara Feldon, a.k.a. Agent 99 from "Get Smart."  MORE brilliance from Mel Brooks.  I used to LOOOOVE watching that show when I was a kid!  (In reruns on Nick at Nite, that is.)  Oh yeah, I'd know her anywhere.

All I can say is, there's a reason I wear briefs.  Between Marten and Sven, boxers just can't handle the job.

Aaagh, no way man, briefs bunch up just a little too much, and they just seem like little-boy underwear to me (since I wore them as a kid, I guess.)  The only thing worse than briefs are boxers.  Maaaan, boxers suuuuck! 

Boxer briefs all the way.  Best underwear ever.

Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #194 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:44 »

Jeph's Marten/Faye hug poses in this Friday strip are awesome. Boxers are ridiculous.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #195 on: 27 Aug 2010, 05:32 »

Hooooooooooboy.  Now, I'd like to think this isn't going anywhere hella-hella drama-ish, but then there's this panel.

Only God, Professor X and Jeph himself know what exactly's running through Marty's head at that moment, but I think we can all take a pretty decent guess that it was somehow relationship-brand awkwardness.  And you just *know* it's gonna crop up and cause some troubles.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  At first there was an awkwardness in that panel, but you read the next panel and think "oh, okay."  Then you go back to re-read it and notice that Marten stammered a little.  I mean I'm never one to over analyze (HAH) but that *could* mean something significant on Marten's end..

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #196 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:11 »

Dora is going to stumble in on them in a few seconds and freak out.

NightOfTheLepus

• Not quite a lurker
  • How many eyes does horror have?
« Reply #197 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:20 »

Dora is going to stumble in on them in a few seconds and freak out.

and then ... 3-some?

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #198 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:45 »

Now, we're left wondering if the cause of Marten's protrusion is an agitated, panicky Faye, or having just come away from sharing a bed with a possibly nekkid Dora. I'm hoping that it's the later, because the former is really, really twisted. Even a comic character doesn't need that kind of fetish.

I think it really depends on the kind of pants he is wearing, perhaps he simply forgot to button up a button and there is no turgidity at all. I am not sure whether that is more or less embarrassing for a dude, to be seen with a boner at an awkward time or to be seen without one at all. Anyone care to weigh in on that?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #199 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:47 »

OK, I know I've done this before, but I'm going to date myself now. 

(What?  It beats dating anyone else in here!)

So I'm young / old enough to recall all these Toto songs being in serious top 40 rotation. 

But I'm also of an age that, whenever I heard the song "99" back then, all I could think of was...

It was my favorite show! 

...Would you believe that I didn't have to?

"Sorry about that, chief. Missed it by that much."
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up