THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417218 times)

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #100 on: 10 Oct 2010, 06:18 »

Wow, that looks really cool.  Now I wanna make a floating airship.

I should play single player more, but multiplayer is just so awesome, imo.  And it feels more communal and less like showing off to yourself (even tho that is so much fun).

I used that cartographer program (I actually think it is the same program as my linux club server uses, just Jace had dif't options selected which made his look better), and my single player world is hardly explored at all (above ground.  I did a lot of spelunking my first few days).  The only bit of extended map is one time when I headed "North" to try and find a sea and hit only land consistently.

edit:  woo!  3rd page!  yay, "very hot topic"!
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #101 on: 10 Oct 2010, 20:54 »

Minecraft's cows must have interbred with lemmings at one point, because I've got a really deep pit going and I can't go two minutes without hearing "moooOOOOOO *thud* *poof*". :|

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #102 on: 10 Oct 2010, 22:42 »

Yea, watched a piggy walk off a clif today.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #103 on: 11 Oct 2010, 04:34 »

Exactly the reason why I chose the 'Special needs cattle' textures from the painterly pack. It is highly appropriate.

It's already quite silly that the mobs don't pay any attention to water, but when they cheerfully walk into a river of lava as well, that's when you know they're completely retarded. I dug out my latest base behind a lavafall, and it provides an excellent defensive perimeter for enemy mobs. Friendly ones as well. Every morning I can pick up the arrows, feathers and pork from outside my doorstep.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #104 on: 11 Oct 2010, 14:38 »

I wanted to build a railway through s spot where there was a couple of enormous trees, so I just burnt them down. Since most trees never burn away completely, the effect is pretty similar - burning animals and mobs everywhere.

I also hope that there's no CO2 counter, because at the rate I'm burning coal and forests...
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #105 on: 11 Oct 2010, 22:58 »

Set aside a designated ares specifically for planting a tree farm. That way you'll have plenty of wood and it won't be in the way!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #106 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:30 »

I walled off a small area that leads to my greenhouse farm (this is a winter world), and I wanted to plant some trees within the wall, but that didn't go well. Then I realized I could just as well place dirt blocks on top of the wall and plant saplings there. That way they won't get in each other's light. Now I'm growing wheat and trees there. It works like a charm.

Does anyone here have experience with switches and circuits? I'm hauling iron by the truckload out of the caves, and I put some iron doors in the walls for this, but they're tricky to get working from both sides. I've tried buttons, levers and redstone wires, but none of the ways I use them makes the door work reliably. Right now I have a hole in the wall with one lever in it, which I can reach from inside and outside, to operate the door both ways. But I think it can be done better, without having an unsightly hole where arrows could get through.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #107 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:00 »

One door for each way?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #108 on: 12 Oct 2010, 13:11 »

If I use one door to get in and one door to get out, I won't be able to close them from the other side.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #109 on: 12 Oct 2010, 13:50 »

have you tried pressure plates on the ground?

With wooden doors they open and then automatically close when you're through. Not sure if it works with metal doors or not, but it'd be worth checking out.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #110 on: 12 Oct 2010, 15:37 »

Pressure plates give me the same problem as buttons. When I install them, they automatically flip the door open, so every time I step on the pressure plate or push the button, the door momentarily closes. Maybe this is a problem with iron doors. I haven't used switches on other objects yet.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #111 on: 12 Oct 2010, 16:25 »

put a pressure plate on both sides and walk back and forth through a couple of times. It might work itself out.

I set up a pair of metal double doors, each with it's own switch, and they were wonky as fuck until I hit them a couple of times each and then they sorted themselves out and worked perfectly.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #112 on: 12 Oct 2010, 20:39 »

You have to use a redstone torch I think.

I reccomend you watch this video and the next one:

Code: [Select]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvFauzzA9pY
or read the wiki.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #113 on: 14 Oct 2010, 09:14 »

A helpful tutorial, but alas, doors in combination with switches are simply fucked, so I'm going back to wooden doors.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #114 on: 15 Oct 2010, 11:00 »

This was made by hand (not by me) on an SMP server.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #115 on: 15 Oct 2010, 16:48 »

I spend most of my time digging out square rooms

They're pretty cool, I guess

Enduar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Ale Iacta Est
« Reply #116 on: 16 Oct 2010, 02:44 »

I'm waiting for the updates to be more reliable with saves before I build anything truly epic. For now I'm just refining my methods (of construction, and finding necessary materials) so I can do it more easily.
Listen to my music!
Dead Planet Series

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #117 on: 16 Oct 2010, 09:35 »

What servers are you dudes playing on?
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #118 on: 17 Oct 2010, 08:21 »

I play on my school's private Linux server a lot (I just finished making a giant 30 row Sierpinski's Gasket yesterday (it's the only fractal I think I could easily make in Minecraft as a tribute to Mandelbrot)

Here's some pics I took from that server's google maps page.

My Sierpinski's Gasket:

A peace sign I made:

And the view of my maze (I put a roof on it so you can't see the paths on the inside from the google maps):

You can also see my roommate's lava spiral tower, and my dirt tower, but mine is harder to see b/c it blends into the background quite well.

Jornas

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • My Deviant Art Page
« Reply #119 on: 17 Oct 2010, 19:42 »

i love this game. i spend so much time just digging and digging.  :-D
Not just a pretty face. http://jornas.deviantart.com/

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #120 on: 18 Oct 2010, 20:45 »

The massive, massive pit I'm digging.

No idea what I'm going to do with it once I'm done, but it's fun to do! (Haven't gotten anything but coal and stone from it. A bit disappointed, actually.)
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #121 on: 18 Oct 2010, 23:19 »

Iron is generally found below sea level and usually found much easier in the natural caverns. Redstone, Diamond, and Gold I've generally found near a magma lake at the bottom of a cavern.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #122 on: 19 Oct 2010, 18:37 »

Lava is the best stuff ever for lighting.

The top part is a 3x3x3 cube of solid lava, and there's a column of it flowing from the top to the bottom, lights up the whole interior. (As you climb the floors quickly get too cramped to be useful.)
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2010, 18:38 by bicostp »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #123 on: 20 Oct 2010, 10:35 »

On the Koala Wallop multiplayer server, I've been hollowing out a big room deep underground using TNT. A lot of TNT. Luckily you can exploit server lag to duplicate items, which is what I've been doing. For this trick you need a large chest and any block type you can afford to lose, like dirt or cobblestone. Make two stacks of blocks, place them next to each other, and put the item you want to duplicate under it. Then quickly merge the two stacks, and then quickly double click the other item. The merged stack will now have half as many blocks in it, and the other item's count will have doubled. However, it will only work with duplications of 32 or less, since stacks of more than 64 are not acceptable.

Anyway, in this room I'm building a pyramid made entirely of lava. A pyromid! For this, I first made a template pyramid of cloth on a base of cobblestone. As soon as I'm done making the inner chambers, I will put a lava source on the top block, which will then pour over the entire pyramid. Afterwards, the cloth will burn away, and the inner chambers will also be covered in lava, which makes for a convenient light source by the windows inside.

The inner chambers will be made of obsidian and glass. I'll put some treasure in there, some decorations, as well as little statues of men and of course, a sarcophagus. I'd be working on it right now if only I could log in.  :x

TomTom

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #124 on: 20 Oct 2010, 16:39 »

At this point, it might be popular enough to make an awesome Halloween costume out of.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #125 on: 20 Oct 2010, 17:37 »

Not mine, but awesome

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #126 on: 20 Oct 2010, 18:02 »

REMEMBER ME
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #127 on: 20 Oct 2010, 18:40 »

Not as cool

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #128 on: 20 Oct 2010, 18:43 »

I have to disagree, Megas is pretty frickin' awesome.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #129 on: 20 Oct 2010, 18:53 »

I guess I just like giant, "REMEMBER ME," Bender a lot more then regular Megas XLR.

Though chicks dig giant robots so it's all good.

Also this
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2010, 19:09 by Blue Kitty »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #130 on: 21 Oct 2010, 02:04 »

That skull is the best thing.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #131 on: 21 Oct 2010, 15:43 »

It is! Much better than the dragon or goat heads I've seen mounted over castle entrances, that skull actually jumps out at you.

The Pyromid exterior is complete!

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #132 on: 21 Oct 2010, 20:30 »

Well done sir, now encase it in glass for a classy look with safety in mind. And line it with gold blocks.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #133 on: 22 Oct 2010, 06:42 »

Oh no, glass would just be detrimental to the effect. The flowing layers look really good this way. And safety be damned, everyone is invulnerable in multiplayer anyway, and I have a couple of water pools around in case I catch on fire. Gold would actually look good at the bottom edge, but I think I'll stick with the theme of lava-related blocks.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #134 on: 26 Oct 2010, 15:59 »

Holy shit that Bender is awesome.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #135 on: 26 Oct 2010, 16:32 »

wake up, douchebags!

little teasery update on the upcoming update. it's an update update. I am super psyched about biomes and Hell and everything. I needed a good reason to come back to this game.

update

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #136 on: 26 Oct 2010, 17:08 »

Aauugh four days to go. Between this and F:NV arriving some time this week and exams next week, I'm running out of excitement at this rate.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #137 on: 26 Oct 2010, 17:23 »

I know, I have been completely drained of my ability to be enthusiastic about anything because so much awesome stuff has been happening/coming out.

My reaction to Fable 3 being out was something along the lines of *deadpan*  "Oh Fable 3 is out. yay." I was really looking forward to it too, but now...I can barely muster a half-hearted fist-pump, let alone actual joyous emotions.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #138 on: 27 Oct 2010, 14:01 »

oh shit biome test flyover

lookin good

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #139 on: 27 Oct 2010, 23:02 »

Oh man can't wait for the new update, me and my brother and a friend all ended up buying the game and setting up our own little private server, and while its even buggier than the real game we've been having boatloads of fun building mega-projects together.

Edit: this is the first year I've ever actually had a video game overload, for all the same reasons, I've never run out of time to play video games before....
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

DavidGrohl

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #141 on: 30 Oct 2010, 08:42 »

Oh man, I wanna play so badly in 6 hrs 19 min, but damn I have a ton of HW this weekend.  And a major project for Fluid Mechanics due Mon.  (Seriously, what's with all this homework on Halloween weekend?)  And if I wanna go to a few parties I can't waste time playing Minecraft.  I gotta do work :( 

The PC gamer youtube clips of them going into "The Slip" are rather interesting, but it's so frustrating b/c there is so much stuff I wanted to see them do that they didn't do in those vids.  graaaah!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #142 on: 30 Oct 2010, 18:41 »

Fuck you Minecraft, that is when Han is getting home and I want to hang out with her tonight 'cos she's been working all weekend.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #143 on: 31 Oct 2010, 21:52 »

The update is awesomely fun.  Hurry up and fix multiplayer, Notch.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #144 on: 01 Nov 2010, 03:17 »

the Nether (earlier hell) is awesome. giant ghosts that shoots fireballs, and ground that'll burn forever makes it scary as hell. The stuff you can mine there, the standard always-burning bricks and the glowing glass-like things are brilliant for a lot of mega-constructions.

I made a pretty awesome-looking church the other day, but managed to destroy the world while experimenting with inventory- and map editors (I wanted to combine all the stuff I've made onto a new world that's got all of the stuff from the new version in it), but the ambient nether-glass is perfect for my earlier sword, and I've got some ideas light-beacon. Ha anyone looked at the combination of redstone, minetracks and "booster" tracks? You can check out tutorials on youtube, it's brilliant.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #145 on: 01 Nov 2010, 08:41 »

I started a new world (fuck homework) and am having so much fun.  I have many large plans of what I'm gonna do (mainly make a large string of strongholds through many biomes, and in the Nether hopefully connect them with portals and all).

Fishing is quite fun, but I was hoping that you'd be able to see the fish in the water.  I wanted one as a little pet.  Also I wanted an aquarium bounded by reeds so you can walk into it and see all the fish.

I've not been to the Nether yet--where I spawned had an unfortunate deficiency in coal, so I had to spend a lot of time looking for that b4 I could spelunk deeper for obsidian or lava--but my roommate went and it's really cool.  Altho, he plays on peaceful most of the time so no monsters. 

Hopefully if I can finish my orgo and fluids homeworks quickly I can return to minecraft tonight.

Algernon

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • dangerously bipedal
« Reply #146 on: 07 Nov 2010, 21:46 »

Some of these pictures are pretty fucking cool, but I don't really get this game.  How is it fun or interesting?

I'm not trying to belittle the game or anything, I am legitimately curious.  It seems kinda boring, like you just go about your business, mining things and building things and occasionally killing small woodland creatures.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #147 on: 07 Nov 2010, 21:53 »

Everyone thinks that right before they start playing.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #148 on: 07 Nov 2010, 22:47 »

Waugh. Hell is fucking scary. Also, linking portals is hard.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #149 on: 08 Nov 2010, 08:54 »

Algernon - I guess it has the same appeal as lego - basically really advanced and pretty lego for grown-ups at a fraction of the time and space. You figure out how the world works, and then you use that knowledge to build different stuff. If you are a big nerd about contraptions, the wire-system and rails system is perfect, if you love to make stuff that looks pretty and neat, the construction of everything from cities to castles to dragons to world-trees etc. would probably be more your thing. It can be pretty interesting to just... explore. Make a boat and travel around, look and random weird mountains and pick a nice spot.

You should also see the people who has made canons, and booster tracks and other stuff that uses the physics implemented in the game in other ways than perhaps intended by the creator.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Up