THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417175 times)

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #450 on: 25 Mar 2011, 06:21 »

ok so I think i fixed the burning down problem and now I just need to finish the carpet and then I'm done
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #452 on: 25 Mar 2011, 08:48 »

Added torches to the roof of my house and the rest of the finishing touches, so its good to go now.

So I finally learned the trick where you can stack fences and I think all I want to do ever now is build houses on stilts. In fact i may incorporate that into a town I'm building right now.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #453 on: 25 Mar 2011, 09:32 »

Oh, by the way, I put the double iron doors in the gate near the bridge. It took some tinkering, but the pressure plate and stone button now open both doors almost simultaneously. People should have no problem getting through. All it needs now is a rim of obsidian to top it off.

I was planning to do the same for the gate on the other side, but it's much wider, so maybe two double doors side by side are more appropriate. I'd like to make the whole enclosure secure enough to be able to sleep in the open.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #454 on: 25 Mar 2011, 17:36 »

that button gives me the same issue I had with my house yesterday

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #455 on: 26 Mar 2011, 03:33 »

You must have some serious lag issues then. I'll see if I can add a delayer.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #456 on: 26 Mar 2011, 05:17 »

If I hit it a few times it goes alright. Just need to do it 'properly'.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #457 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:02 »

Buttons only activate for roughly 1 second after you push them, either a delayer is needed, or just use levers/pressure plates
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #458 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:21 »

Under my current method, installing a delayer causes only one door to be delayed but not the other, which doesn't help either. Also, delayers won't increase the interval that the doors are open for, unless I start making increasingly complicated circuits to make a delayer follow up on the inital signal of the button in order to maintain a current to the second door... That won't be pretty. And levers have the problem that you can't switch them off once you're on the other side of the wall.

Well, if it's getting truly impossible for people to get through the iron doors, I'll just replace them with wooden doors.

Man, I really wish redstone signals could be descended more easily. Right now the only option is to lead wires down a stairwell. Makes things really messy.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2011, 12:22 by LTK »

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #459 on: 26 Mar 2011, 19:57 »

Double pressure plates are always an option too. If the doorway is well enough lit, monsters usually will not stray close enough to open the doors.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #460 on: 26 Mar 2011, 21:16 »

So, I was just on the server and I made my house in Pocketville.  I'm reasonably pleased with how it turned out, although it looks a little odd, maybe.

As for the new server, it was a tad laggy at times--the whole block reappearing thing--but it wasn't a game destroyer.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #461 on: 27 Mar 2011, 05:14 »

There is a new building.

What's in there?

It's zombies having an underwater party!

Now with a friendly skywalk towards it.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #462 on: 27 Mar 2011, 05:35 »

Oh man I found that earlier when I was looking for sand to strip mine. Very cool.

Question: What happens when the inevitable creeper inevitably explodes?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #463 on: 27 Mar 2011, 06:17 »

Creepers in water don't do damage to blocks.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #464 on: 27 Mar 2011, 13:02 »

So far none of them has exploded and I didn't expect them to with no direct visual contact etc.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #465 on: 27 Mar 2011, 17:32 »

i can't play with you guys because apparently i'm not white-listed by the server.

or so it tells me when i try to connect to it
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #466 on: 27 Mar 2011, 17:54 »

wait so is it a mob spawner or just a giant darkroom?
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #467 on: 27 Mar 2011, 18:37 »

From the looks of it on the screenshots it's a big dark room, esp if creepers can spawn.

i can't play with you guys because apparently i'm not white-listed by the server.

or so it tells me when i try to connect to it
The new server version of Minecraft has a default white-list, so just PM ackblom with your minecraft user name and he'll add it to the whitelist and you can then join. 
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #468 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:27 »

Projects made out of sand are really fucking difficult to work with. Maybe I should requisition some help. Anyone want to help me with the sandkeep?

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #469 on: 28 Mar 2011, 09:31 »

sandstone looks almost identical and is so.much.easier to build. But ask me for help in game, I'm kinda at loss for projects at the moment.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #470 on: 28 Mar 2011, 14:00 »

Got ya added to the white list and also...

http://minemap.verygames.net/server2846/world

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #471 on: 28 Mar 2011, 14:29 »

That looks so awesome!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #472 on: 28 Mar 2011, 14:44 »

sandstone looks almost identical and is so.much.easier to build. But ask me for help in game, I'm kinda at loss for projects at the moment.

Sandstone looks completely different in my texture pack.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #473 on: 28 Mar 2011, 14:52 »

speaking of texture packs, did you guys know you can now custom design your own version of the Painterly Pack?

it's totally awesome and you can do it right here
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #474 on: 28 Mar 2011, 19:01 »

fucking goddamn huge caverns. I'm glad that we have teleporters so at least I can get back.

ackblom12

« Reply #475 on: 28 Mar 2011, 19:06 »

ok, I need a head count on how the new server is treating everyone. From what I gather, it seems like the folks in European are getting a much better connection and the States are getting some minor lag issues. I know Kat has been getting worse lag than I have which is really odd since we're on the same network, but hey.

So yeah, just give a heads up as to how it's treating you and then we need to discuss if we want to continue the subscription and if so, how much everyone would be willing to chip in for it.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #476 on: 28 Mar 2011, 19:10 »

I'm not having any lag issues, its mostly frame rate issues with me, which is more my computer's fault than, anything, though I suppose I might notice lag more if my frame rate were better. I'm gonna try and take out the 32x32 res tileset I'm using, see if I notice any difference there, and if I notice any lag from it.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #477 on: 28 Mar 2011, 19:38 »

Usually it runs a bit slowly, blocks coming back and that button issue, as well as some trouble with monsters because they don't react properly to me hitting them, or with creepers they'll explode at what should be a safe distance but the server will 'correct' by damaging me. Last night it became unplayable, and would refuse to load much if anything, leaving me falling forever. I know that I'm easily the furthest from the server and that'll always be an issue, but I don't remember having the really bad lag on the old one.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #478 on: 28 Mar 2011, 21:03 »

There's an island slightly to the north of my nation that needs a bridge built to it so that it can be developed by someone, and I need a travel plaza with a teleportation rune to the hub for easier travel than by the long road north that I've got "built" right now (north as it is in game, not by how the map is situated).

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #479 on: 28 Mar 2011, 21:34 »

now it alternates between "not whitelisted" and "bad login" or something whenever i try to get on the server

maybe it's just not meant to be

ackblom12

« Reply #480 on: 29 Mar 2011, 04:33 »

Try it again. The server has done a daily restart since I added the white-list and that might have been what's needed.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #481 on: 29 Mar 2011, 06:29 »

ok, I need a head count on how the new server is treating everyone. From what I gather, it seems like the folks in European are getting a much better connection and the States are getting some minor lag issues. I know Kat has been getting worse lag than I have which is really odd since we're on the same network, but hey.

So yeah, just give a heads up as to how it's treating you and then we need to discuss if we want to continue the subscription and if so, how much everyone would be willing to chip in for it.

Two thumbs up. Been killing creepers with a sword, and the latency is barely any bother at all. Teleporting goes in the blink of an eye, but that may be thanks to my new computer. Still, huge improvement.

öde

« Reply #482 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:59 »

Seems to be ok most of the time, but hard to actually get on the server sometimes. Much nicer with my new processor too!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #483 on: 29 Mar 2011, 08:03 »

I've also noticed a big improvement, although there's still some block and mob lag, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Holy fuck I found a tiny cave next to the castle wall with no less than four creepers in it. i think the room is 3x2x2. What the hell?
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2011, 12:10 by snalin »

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #484 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:36 »

It's probably my computer (>3 yr old laptop), but I've been getting some lag ranging from mild to "goddamnit I got killed again by mobs I never saw" lately. It's not much different from before, though, so I bet it's my computer.

Also, look how much land to the north (game, not map) of my square I've cleared off! I love love love runes. Gotta figure out the teleportation one, but the power tools one kicks twenty kinds of ass. I plan on clearing the land to the east of the cleared land, along that peninsula, too. No major plans with it yet; I just really enjoy clearing stuff. If anyone needs lava in that area, the glass bricks can be destroyed and stairs down to a pool of lava are right there.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

öde

« Reply #485 on: 29 Mar 2011, 18:22 »

Dang I haven't even tried any fun runes yet!

mberan42

« Reply #486 on: 29 Mar 2011, 18:52 »

I can't log iiiinnnn   :cry: :cry: :cry:
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #487 on: 29 Mar 2011, 22:04 »

okay, the world's least resource-efficient house is awesome

edit: okay, i built a house in pocket town or whatever it's called. i think it actually turned out pretty good given the space limitations.

oh and also i guess i should mention my experience on the server: i was on apparently by myself and everything ran pretty smoothly unless i was moving really fast (falling, mostly) or attacking something, then i'd get slight lag between action and reaction but nothing too terrible. stuff like using crafting tables and opening doors always has a little bit of lag to it but it's not all that bad. less than half a second, probably

overall, i am impressed. both by the server's stability (it's been a while since i've played SMP and it was pretty bad back then, plus i was on by myself), and by the stuff you guys have built. some of the mines and caves you guys have dug out are absolutely ridiculous
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2011, 00:22 by Scandanavian War Machine »

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #488 on: 30 Mar 2011, 00:57 »

That house is indeed awesome, yes.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #489 on: 30 Mar 2011, 09:29 »

Server's refusing connect for me now, first time its happened, this the same for anyone else?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #490 on: 30 Mar 2011, 14:50 »

It's out for me as well.

That house is indeed awesome, yes.
Really? I actually don't like it at all. :P It was a pain in the ass to build and it's completely useless as an actual house. I was thinking of stuffing it full of TNT and see just how explosion-resistant furnaces really are.

ackblom12

« Reply #491 on: 30 Mar 2011, 14:52 »

yeah we're having issues with it now too. Gonna try something before I head out for the night.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #492 on: 30 Mar 2011, 14:55 »

treasure hunt time:

i hid a single unit of wool in one of the furnaces or chests that you built it out of. can you find it?!

actually, that makes me think of an idea! we should totally do like a treasure hunt or something on the server, i think that'd be neat. I have no ideas about the logistics of it, or whether it's actually that good of an idea, but if someone smarter than me could come up with a good way to do it, it could be a fun thing.

it might be totally impossible and ridiculous, but i think it has some potential

ackblom12

« Reply #493 on: 30 Mar 2011, 15:02 »

Ok, I just made a quick change on the server and I was able to log on for the moment. Try it again and if it isn't working for folks whe I get home I'll put in a ticket.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #494 on: 30 Mar 2011, 15:38 »

I put together a treasure hunt once. It consisted of making underground rooms with narrow tunnels leading directly towards the surface, with a dirt block topping it off. Every location was given by a clue and every room had a small prize in it plus the clue to the next location, with a big treasure at the end. No one actually made it all the way to the final room. Would be nice to try that again, maybe just as a participant.

Server is still out for me btw.

ackblom12

« Reply #495 on: 31 Mar 2011, 14:03 »

Ok, well, since there has been the 1.4 update the bukkit servers aren't working right now, so we need to decide if we just wanna start a classic vanilla server for the few days until the new bukkit update is out. We can do some kind of silly contest or just mess around with it until then and then I can just switch right back over. Does anyone know if moving the current world over will cause any problems with teleporters and hubs once we switch it back over? Don't think it should.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2011, 14:47 by ackblom12 »

mberan42

« Reply #496 on: 31 Mar 2011, 18:16 »

Oh man I want to plaaaayyyy...

ackblom12

« Reply #497 on: 31 Mar 2011, 18:27 »

Good news is I was able to log onto the new server with vanilla settings using our current world. We won't have Runes and the like active for a little while, but we'll get that done as soon as bukkit gets updated, which shouldn't be more than a a few days I imagine. So feel free to log on and check on things. Same login info as before.

mberan42

« Reply #498 on: 31 Mar 2011, 18:40 »

IP of 77 or 74? I'm getting a Failed to Connect - Connection Refused for both.

mberan42

« Reply #499 on: 31 Mar 2011, 18:41 »

(Yes, I'm really bored tonight.)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28   Go Up