THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 14:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 427709 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #850 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:30 »

How is that different from creating a world in 1.7 and playing in 1.8?

It's too bad we're going to lose our world seeds from previous versions, but at least we can count on a storm of new awesome seeds as people start trying their old seeds out for a new world.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #851 on: 19 Aug 2011, 14:28 »

After 1.8 comes out all worlds created before 1.8 will be the same until new chunks start getting generated.  In those places there will likely be discontinuities--sharp biome changes, sheer cliffs, sudden oceans, etc.  So, if you create a world in 1.7 and then play it in 1.8 anywhere you travel outside of the chunks that are generated right when you first spawned in the new world will not blend in with the terrain.

I think that ought to answer your question, but I may have misinterpreted it (I don't really know what was meant by "that" in "how is that different")
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #852 on: 19 Aug 2011, 14:39 »

I meant how is giving an option to generate a world without 1.8 features different from generating a world in Minecraft 1.7? I think there's not a lot that 1.8 has to offer that you can also play in a world made in 1.7, so there's always an option to deny an update.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #853 on: 19 Aug 2011, 15:13 »

The option wouldn't be any dif't; generating w/o 1.8 features would be the same as generating in 1.7.  The prob is most people don't keep old versions of the minecraft.jar file, so if they update to 1.8 they'd lose the v.1.7 generator forever--which is why that guy asked jeb to add a button for it; he prob wants to keep his old fave seeds around.

And, the 1.8 update with the new biome generator, the rivers and oceans, the dungeons, npc villages, adventure junk, I think there's a ton to offer in the new generator (volcano potential in the future, according to jeb)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #854 on: 19 Aug 2011, 16:36 »

Since final release really isn't that far off anymore, I guess we should wait until then for any decision on whether to go with a completely new world or not with its new features. Upgrading is a more difficult call, though the core explored area is big enough now that it would take some traveling to see any of the new features (unless there's an easy way of trimming back the surrounding explored areas, but then we'd have a lot of discontinuities to deal with).

I'm OK with starting fresh after final release, but then I haven't invested nearly as much time as others in their projects, so easy for me to say.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #855 on: 20 Aug 2011, 08:48 »

I'm leaning more towards porting in the resources to make the stuff I want to remake, instead of keeping the stuff already around.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #856 on: 20 Aug 2011, 09:30 »

Yeah at this point I've lost attachment to all my constructions, and I'm really just more inclined to use all of the new techniques I've learned from playing online to make new stuff from the ground up.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

ackblom12

« Reply #857 on: 20 Aug 2011, 11:38 »

Alright, got a couple of meat life friends I'll likely be adding to the white list in the next day or two. If anyone at all knows someone who might be interested, let me know.

Openhand

« Reply #858 on: 20 Aug 2011, 21:01 »

Hey all, I've been lurking this board since before Jeph went crazy and turned it to CLIKC, and have been following this thread/your server since the tower of babel got started. I've played on a few public servers and the griefing is out of control and i'm looking for a stable server to build on come 1.8. Is there some kind of vetting process or turing test that is needed to get on the list? Thanks.

ackblom12

« Reply #859 on: 20 Aug 2011, 22:07 »

Sending a PM now.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #860 on: 24 Aug 2011, 11:06 »

My school's linux club is considering moving from a locally hosted server to a rented one, and the guy running it found this site for minecraft servers.  I don't remember where we are currently w/r/t the whole server thing being hosted locally or rented and whatnot, but I just thought I could bring this up, esp since I recall at one point in time ackblom mentioned he technically shouldn't be hosting the server on his personally internet connection. 

I remember there was a lot of hassle the last time the server was rented, but maybe this one could be better?  I still don't know if these are entirely reasonable prices or not, though. 

I don't play online all too much anymore, but if the club does decide to rent a server I'll be sure to relay the experience with the company here.

ackblom12

« Reply #861 on: 24 Aug 2011, 11:20 »

We are actually using this server as of now. I was going to try and get one of the techs in an IRC room at some point to find out what I need to do to get runecraft working since I can't get it recognized at the moment,, but I've kind of given up on that until we've finished moving to Michigan and get our internet back up. That will happen sometime next week hopefully.

Speaking of which, I went ahead and paid for our 2nd month on the server. When I discuss the mods and all with the tech I'll also make sure on the process for upgrading from monthly to 3 month, 6 month, 1 year and 3 year subs and get the cost information to you guys and see what we wanna do.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #862 on: 26 Aug 2011, 15:51 »

Anyone notice that the last map wasn't a map at all but the actual level?
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #863 on: 29 Aug 2011, 05:38 »

Notch made a video showing off some new 1.8 stuff while at Pax. 
It looks absolutely awesome, imo.  Altho, I may miss portions of the old gameplay every so often.

I'm really looking forward to this update

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #864 on: 29 Aug 2011, 06:35 »

Smooth day/night lighting transitions... Do want.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #865 on: 30 Aug 2011, 11:47 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #866 on: 02 Sep 2011, 08:51 »

Server seems to be down, so you can check this out in the mean time:

(click to show/hide)

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #867 on: 02 Sep 2011, 09:18 »

Captain Sparklez made a neat video showcasing that mod, if anyone's interested in seeing it in action

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #868 on: 02 Sep 2011, 16:00 »

Yeah, it really seems to have skyrocketed in popularity. It's on the Yogscast as well.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #869 on: 05 Sep 2011, 02:16 »

I haven't been able to connect to the server for a couple of days (connection timeouts). Anyone else having problems?

ackblom12

« Reply #870 on: 06 Sep 2011, 06:15 »

Ok, sorry about not getting any word in on things yet, I am not going to have internet until the 19th (We just moved last weekend) so I don't have much I can do at the moment. I just tested connecting to the server on the local super duper slow but free community wi-fi and it seems to be giving me a connection failure as well, but I'm not sure if that's the wi-fi I'm on or what. I'm also not able to get to the server panel of ftp connection, though once again that could easily be attributed to me current connection. Can anyone else confirm if this is a problem? If so I'll get a ticket in while I have the temp wi-fi access.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #871 on: 06 Sep 2011, 06:49 »

I'm having problems too.

ackblom12

« Reply #872 on: 06 Sep 2011, 08:04 »

Alright, ticket submitted.

ackblom12

« Reply #873 on: 06 Sep 2011, 14:13 »

Ok, server is back up. Looks like it had just crashed and needed a reboot. Was able to log on myself and it should be good to go.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #874 on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:35 »

I really want to see a map of the new stuff I've done.

Secondly, if we are making a fresh server for 1.8, what kind of server do we want to make? Creative or survival?

I'm not sure myself - the kind of play I'm doing is mostly creative, in the way that I build more than I explore. On the other hand, the new exploration elements of the adventure update looks fiine, and the new fighting mechanics would be interesting to explore. Thing is, I'm not so sure if a fighting-centric gameplay will work on a server that while not exactly laggy, has too high latency to be able to accurately kite creepers. What do you guys think?

It seems like the server, as a response to the crash, now restarts regularly (every 3-4 hours?). You don't notice during gameplay (so they're probably doing something clever to keep you from having to log in again), but the server says "server restarting in x minutes. That's great, as if it goes down, it will maximally be a couple of hours until it's back up. I like these server people. Or Ackbloom, if it was you who fixed this.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #875 on: 12 Sep 2011, 06:11 »

Me, I say we get Creative. If the 1.8 pre-release can be believed, 1.8 Survival is going to be HARD. But there are a lot of new building materials available, and those will be really interesting to build with. But so far I haven't had the opportunity to use anything but glass panes in buildings. It would be refreshing to not have to worry about death and starvation on the server.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #876 on: 12 Sep 2011, 06:57 »

I vote creative because survival is pretty much impossible for me on prison island
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #877 on: 12 Sep 2011, 08:33 »

I mostly build, so creative.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #878 on: 12 Sep 2011, 09:05 »

I've also got a private creative project I'd really like to get going for 1.8 - recreating the gameworld of might and magic 7 or 8 (not quite decided yet). Remind me to post screens once I've started.

ackblom12

« Reply #879 on: 12 Sep 2011, 18:56 »

Yeah, from the dealings I've had with them on the two ticket issues, I quite like this server group. The admins seem to do their job well. And that is a thing they're doing, nothing whatsoever to do with me.

Personally I vote creative. The combat in Minecraft really isn't anything to write home about and is more frustrating than fun to me. Is Notch adding any ways of getting (currently) monster only ingredients other than adminning them into existence?

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #880 on: 12 Sep 2011, 19:10 »

the wiki says that there will still be monsters but they'll just be completely ineffective

ackblom12

« Reply #881 on: 12 Sep 2011, 19:32 »

Sounds good to me.

Now I just need my goddamn internet. I promise you AT&T, I will kill at least a dozen hookers if that's what it takes to get it done tomorrow instead of the 19th.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #882 on: 13 Sep 2011, 01:16 »

Is Notch adding any ways of getting (currently) monster only ingredients other than adminning them into existence?
In creative mode you can just spawn them in without any adminning.

ackblom12

« Reply #883 on: 13 Sep 2011, 09:00 »

oh right, hmm, how about no monster spawn adventure then?

I still like the exploration for new materials and the like, I just think that combat is dogshit.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #884 on: 13 Sep 2011, 09:56 »

Like just playing on peaceful? Then it'd be impossible to get any of the monster-parts - specifically bones and powder.

If you've read about the adventure update, it's major point is a total rework of combat. From the people who've tried it, it sounds like the whole killing stuff thing has become much more fun.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #885 on: 13 Sep 2011, 10:18 »

It's okay. Using a sword has improved but using a bow and arrow has become a lot harder. Now that they need to be charged, they're useless in frantic, close combat, but the sword crits compensate for that. I only use bows occasionally to pick off a skeleton on the surface or in a particularly spacious cave. Now that zombies have stopped dropping feathers you can't realistically rely on arrows a lot, since there's hardly an opportunity to craft them.  Killing chickens is the only way to get feathers now, and their respawn rate has dropped dramatically. The same goes for all the other animals. Once you kill them, they're pretty much gone.

I'm fine with setting the server to peaceful survival. I've given Creative mode a go and playing god does take away a lot of your sense of achievement.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #886 on: 14 Sep 2011, 05:15 »

Minecraft 1.8 is out officially, and I've found a pretty good candidate for a world seed; one that doesn't look exactly the same as every other 1.8 world. The seed is Revolution. Observe that around 0,0 there's a big fucking hole right through the middle of the fucking world. RAVINES

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #887 on: 14 Sep 2011, 05:50 »

oh yeah, the ravines are ridiculously pretty, especially with the new torch lighting effects.

I had a fly around with Creative mode. It's interesting, but I can't help but feel that the really neat things on the current server won't be as neat when built in creative. Stuff like the lighthouse being a community effort to collect a thousand blocks of wool, or how it took forever to get all the sand for Babel or for me to hollow out that mountain. Too easy, methinks.

Also, one thing I noticed is that the sprinting makes it considerably easier to take out creepers. Run at them, strike, then when they're knocked back they don't hiss so you're safe. You don't need to use your bow anymore.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #888 on: 14 Sep 2011, 09:11 »

One thing I like about creative mode is that you can just pour lava over trees.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #889 on: 14 Sep 2011, 10:04 »

There's nothing keeping you from doing the same in Survival, although the barrier from doing insanely destructive things in Creative is considerably lower.

BRB, torching some forests

ackblom12

« Reply #890 on: 14 Sep 2011, 11:20 »

Alright, if you guys like I can update the server today then. If you'd like a little more time to play around with the current world and find more seeds, I officially get internet Monday the 19th, so I can just wait till then. Once I update, I'll get the backup of our current world and a map for it and upload it for everyone.

Actually, thinking about how long it would take to download the world on this shitty shitty jury rigged connection, I'm gonna wait till Monday sometime to do all that. Also, after doing some actual reading on the 1.8 changes to combat, I'd be okay with giving a normal ol' adventure server a run. If the combat isn't boring as balls, I'm down with keeping that. Creative is just too... easy. As LTK and Ninjas! have said, the sense of accomplishment is a large part of what makes me even bother playing Minecraft (Ignore the fact I haven't been on in a while. lots of reasons for that) and I just feel like it'd lose all appeal for me.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2011, 11:25 by ackblom12 »

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #891 on: 16 Sep 2011, 21:33 »

I vote for survival since, as ackblom mentioned, a lot of the reward (for me, at least) comes from harvesting the materials as well as building.  But, creative'd be fine, too.

On a different note, I got a new computer, and I just tested Minecraft on it.  It runs beautifully, and the sound works!  Hooray! 

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #892 on: 16 Sep 2011, 22:34 »

is anybody else getting a Logon Failed message?

I tried changing my password but that didn't work.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #893 on: 17 Sep 2011, 02:57 »

I'd expect it, if Ack hasn't updated the server yet.

I've got an idea. It's pretty easy to transfer a server from creative to survival or the other way around (I found a neat little program that does the trick). What if we start out with creative for two-three weeks so we can rebuild the stuff we want from the old server without it taking too long, and then transfer over to survival for new stuff?

Otherwise, if someone has something they really want to keep (such as the tower of babel or something), I've gotten pretty good at MCedit the last few days (been experimenting for my creative project), so I could just grab the server maps and move it over.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #894 on: 17 Sep 2011, 06:19 »

could you link to that program?  cause i liked to fool around with toomanyitems and singleplayercommands before to get essentially what creative mode is in survival whenever i had the urge to try my hand at adventure map making.  however, if i could just make something in creative and switch it to survival, that would be much easier than watching for those 2 mods to update.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #895 on: 17 Sep 2011, 07:14 »

well, what would you say. I can't find it. Luckily I have the jar on my computer, so I'll just upload it to MF. The link is /?7scf8d83u7mf670

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2011, 07:25 by smack that isaiah »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #897 on: 17 Sep 2011, 07:26 »

That's the one. Really easy to use.

EDIT: It's pretty amazing how much it's possible to do in a few hours with creative mode and MCedit:

There's stuff in the houses, and there's stuff in the chests. A big project wouldn't be hard to do like this at all, but that just means that the possible scope is much larger.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2011, 16:34 by snalin »

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #898 on: 17 Sep 2011, 19:32 »

I say start again and build new stuff.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #899 on: 17 Sep 2011, 20:37 »

i think the whole "start afresh" issue's been decided.  the question ppl are voting for now is "creative or survival mode" map.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28   Go Up