THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417219 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #200 on: 03 Feb 2011, 02:33 »

I keep trying to get a good world to start anew on but every time I try I think of all the grand structures on my main world and how I don't want to abandon it because of all the work, but then I want new things and that world is 19mb and it takes a long time to load.

Those grand structures aren't gonna go anywhere if you start a new world. You can always come back later. Alternatively, make a path through the Nether and start again a few kilometers further. It's what I did.

For me, the most fun thing about the game is starting anew in a brand new (section of) world, find the best place to make a home, and expand and perfect it until it's a place anyone would be willing, and able, to live. That mountain home I mentioned is now covered in glowstone chandeliers and has a forest on the top that's as dense as can be.

backup your main world, make a new one that looks good, and hack in all the cool structures you want. I don't see that as cheating.

I wonder if you could make a mod that allowed you to move between your worlds. Would make a bloody mess out of the save files unless you forced teleportation back to your original world upon quitting, but still kinda cool.

There's a multiplayer mod that allows you to use portals to warp between servers while keeping your inventory. That's as close as moving between worlds as you can get.

On that subject (new vs. old worlds), what do you guys think of the idea of a Minecraft succession game? It struck me as a pretty cool idea, when played with the air of stepping into a world with a sign that says "If you're reading this, I am dead." Instead of telling the next player about your world, leave little clues on signposts in the world. You can play as long as you like, so long as you hand over the world to the next player the first time you die.

Participants:

First settler: "Old Man" SirJuggles
Second settler: "Bewildered" LTK
Third settler: "Can't Hear You" smack that isaiah
Fourth (current) settler: Boro_Bandito
Fifth settler: snalin
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2011, 12:01 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #201 on: 03 Feb 2011, 03:10 »

awesome idea.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #202 on: 03 Feb 2011, 04:50 »

Someone do this thing, because this is a Thing I want to do.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #203 on: 03 Feb 2011, 05:30 »

I would love to do that.  It would be so amazingly awesome. 
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #204 on: 03 Feb 2011, 07:07 »

That's great! I did some tests on a new world file, and we should be able to pass along the saves without problems. It's still possible that the game gets confused by another person playing it, but the only changes that could bring is a lost inventory or a change in spawn point, and those aren't really problematic.

Shall we make a player list and order in this thread, then? I'm not going to claim number one, since I've been playing for so long that I go (in-game) weeks without dying, so I'd probably just slow everyone down.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #205 on: 03 Feb 2011, 07:33 »

I also go long times w/o dying--altho i play on easy, so mobs don't do as much damage.  So, maybe we should agree to always have the difficulty set to normal when playing on this file?

And, perhaps the passing of the level should occur at death, or after a week, whichever comes first?  or maybe after a week only?

Either way, I would like to claim a spot on the progression of the game.  I could also write up a really simple randomizer for the order if anyone wanted it.
edit: actually, i already have a program that works exactly as we'd need to make a circularly linked list from an old game of Assassin played freshman year of college
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2011, 07:39 by smack that isaiah »

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #206 on: 03 Feb 2011, 11:00 »

I'll get in on it but I've never quite gotten the hang of mega constructions so I wouldn't really add to much. Actually, maybe I should go first since I'm more of "Hollow out massive caves, because caves are the only safe place" type. If you guys want I'm gonna have long train rides on Friday and Sunday that I could get started.
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #207 on: 03 Feb 2011, 13:26 »

I'm okay with that.
Any thoughts on passing on the save at death/week/both/what?

Also, I like the thought of not knowing anything of the world when you get the save, but I also like the thought of a series of pictures, so does everyone think they could take a pic of their world map (with cartographer or mcmap or whatever) right when they end their turn with it (and then keep it, but not post it so as not to reveal anything)?  At the end of this huge thing I think it'd be cool to see how stuff evolved.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #208 on: 03 Feb 2011, 13:38 »

You know, provided that you can avoid death for as long as you play, I'd say you're free to play as long as you like, within reason of course.

If you know that you're good at Minecraft, it's a good idea to turn up the difficulty a notch. I'm usually playing on Normal, so for this game I think I'll set it to Hard.

As for the play order, we don't really need to randomize it. SirJuggles might as well kick it off, and we'll see how it goes from there.

If you're generating a new world, it may be a good idea to delete and recreate it a few times until you find one that has some interesting terrain. After all, every one of us is going to walk around there.

I like the screenshots-in-progress idea. But I'm not sure if cartograph makes for a really interesting map in this case, why not use normal screenshots?

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #209 on: 03 Feb 2011, 14:39 »

I'm totally in on this, but I think the best thing to do is limit a person to a period of several days, if this takes a week between each person that's gonna be a long waiting list really quickly, and there's no telling how busy any of us could be in a couple months. Then on the other hand until player death is really short and impossible to keep honest, and if its a sudden creeper attack you aren't gonna have time to leave a signpost explaining the way you perished thus untimely.

Is this like a cooperation thing we we keep building onto the same large structure, or do we just do whatever projects that we want to?

Oh also ended up making a new world, I've decided to build a city of treehouses using no stone, well, maybe like, a central keep or something, but basically I just want the effect of a vertical city, planting trees as I go to fill out the ground level, planting trees on trees, etc. One problem I found is that the world was taking forever to load, I'm guessing because of all the new changes, the new ore and stuff that didn't affect my old world because I've already explored so much area.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #210 on: 03 Feb 2011, 15:11 »

Well, the fact that death can come so suddenly is part of the beauty. You could stumble on a half-finished house with a tell-tale crater nearby. Shit happens. So, you'll always know to leave a trail of breadcrumbs of sorts, because you never know what might happen.

What we do is up to every person individually, I guess. We could each add levels and rooms to one big fort/base, or if the locations doesn't suit you, simply start over someplace else. It would be helpful if we kept everything in rougly the same location, though.

I did notice the lag issues are much worse than before. But there aren't any drastic changes to the world generation (that I know of) that could cause it. I mean, a few chunks of Lapis Lazuli ore (delightfully occult sounding name, that) aren't going to make the world load slower. I thought I'd just bear with it until the update on the new save file format is out. It's supposed to work a lot faster.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #211 on: 03 Feb 2011, 16:20 »

Ok, so SirJuggles can go ahead and start it off this weekend at his leisure.  And I'm ok with death being the stimulus to passing the game on, too.  I was just suggesting an alternative if anyone else wanted it.
And, screenshots are ok too, but I generally like overworld maps partially b/c I like to flip back and forth between them quickly on my comp and see what new chunks have generated, and what buildings pop up or are finished, or where creepers have suddenly made pock holes on the terrain.  I mean, we could take screen shots as we each go thru the game of interesting things, but I think i'd like to see the changes in chunks/buildings from an overall top-down sense from a world map thing.

As to lag, I know that when 1.2 was released there was a font optimization patch put in that Notch accidentally installed backwards (making the game unoptimized).  Is your beta currently 1.2_02?  cause I think that fixed the optimization prob.  Other than that, I don't think i noticed any other odd laggy issues myself.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #212 on: 03 Feb 2011, 18:01 »

K I will go right ahead and start this up on the train tomorrow.

Just wondering, I haven't messed around with anything beyond vanilla beta, any suggestions on good programs for capturing overworld maps or screens? I can just google something up and use print screen, just wondering if there were any superior choices.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #213 on: 03 Feb 2011, 18:59 »

If you're on a mac the best live mapping program is mcmap live.  But I don't know if it can take pictures.  mcmap can.  that post provides compile-able source code, so it's available on any platform (there's also a prettified gui for windows and probably mac). 
There's also the classic cartographer, which I think was the first main mapping program for minecraft.

I personally enjoy mcmap the most, it's pretty and simple and fits my needs without much hassle.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #214 on: 03 Feb 2011, 19:15 »

Hm I'm on Vista, so I'll probably go with mcmap. Thanks!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #215 on: 04 Feb 2011, 01:46 »

I'll want a spot as well. I like the idea about death or one week, gives a certain flair of danger. I'll probably be playing on hard, to make stuff interesting.

One of the first thing this world will need is a forest, since, guys, damn we're going to need a lot of wood for signposts. I tried to mark all my cave sideshafts with "mined out" or "not mined out", and those ran out so fast you have no idea.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #216 on: 04 Feb 2011, 05:05 »

I use a redstone code for that! Had it on a piece of paper somewhere, but I can't find it right now...

I think I still remember what it was. When I'm exploring deep caves I often pick up redstone along the way, and since I don't use it for anything I just put some on the floor as markings. For finding the way out, I make the symbol ┤ at intersections, where the bottom always points to where I came from. A square marks a vital exit point, because the times that I do get lost, I often walk right past the exit without realizing it. Dead ends that are already explored are marked by a single redstone +.

I haven't actually used the code in a while because I've been spelunking long enough to be able to imprint landmarks (cavemarks?) instataneously, but maybe it'll be useful for you.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #217 on: 06 Feb 2011, 13:19 »

Screenshots of the world map alone won't make much of a story, so I was also thinking of keeping a small day-to-day diary with your impressions. It would be interesting to see everyone's individual thoughts on the world at the very end.

I don't know if SirJuggles has managed to survive so far, but the week ahead is fairly quiet for me, so I'd like to pick up the world as the second player.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #218 on: 06 Feb 2011, 13:52 »

I figured that when my turn came around I would just do what we did for Dwarf Fortress, come up with a little narrative of our actions as we move along. Injecting whatever type of personality into it that you want, you know, like humor, horror, whatnot.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #219 on: 06 Feb 2011, 23:44 »

I started up a world on Friday on the train home and got started. I have my version of a little safe home for now, and I'm working on a "trail of breadcrumbs" leading to it from the spawn point. It's a bit of a walk, and I'm sure someone will come up with a better solution later. I was gonna work on it some more on the train today but I just found the campaign mode in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade =( I'll probably play a bit more over the course of this week, and if I die at any point then I'll zip it together and post the link. If I survive till Friday I think I'll put all my stuff in chests, leave some signs behind, and see how many mobs I can take in one night before they get me.

Also, I've taken a few screenshots so far and left a few signposts around but nothing too interesting yet.

Screenshots of the world map alone won't make much of a story, so I was also thinking of keeping a small day-to-day diary with your impressions. It would be interesting to see everyone's individual thoughts on the world at the very end.

I don't know if SirJuggles has managed to survive so far, but the week ahead is fairly quiet for me, so I'd like to pick up the world as the second player.

Ah if you were hoping for it this week then I can probably finish it up after my midterm on Tuesday evening.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2011, 23:46 by SirJuggles »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #220 on: 07 Feb 2011, 05:42 »

I'm not really in a rush, though. Three days isn't a long time to make an impact on the world, so I'd be happy if you went ahead and finished what you're working on.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #221 on: 09 Feb 2011, 18:43 »

Alright. I've got about as much done as I'm probably going to, so I'm going to post this up here for the next person to take over. I think It's LTK's turn. Link is at the bottom of my post, here we go:

Unknown Settler's Journal

Arrival
Bah. I’m far too old for this nonsense. Yet here I am, gazing out over another gods-forsaken wilderness with nothing but my worn hands and a small, empty pack. They told me this place is to be the site of a new Utopia, tamed and shaped to the will of man. Looks like a bunch of sand and dirt to me.

Day 1
Godsdamned desert. I hate the desert. The dry air, nothing but sand and cactuses. Man wasn’t meant to live in this wasteland. I set off from the Place of Arrival to find a more livable locale. Coming to a giant bay, I waded in and swam across. Might as well get my feet wet, heh. The environment is more comfortable over here, more green. There’s even these odd chutes growing out of the water’s edge. Never seen nothing like that before.  Sun’s going down now, though it’s hard to tell with my hazy eyes. Wish I could find a cave of some sort, always been more comfortable underground. Under the earth a man can make a real home for his’self. Oh well, suppose I’ll camp here for the night.

Day 2
Gods help me! I took the tales of monsters in this land to be mere superstition. But they came for me last night. Giant spiders, moaning things that followed wherever I went. I climbed a tree at first but my damned ankle gave and I fell out. They woulda had me if it hadn’t been for that dirt I dug up earlier. I managed to build a stairway out of their reach and cut it off behind me. Today I’m finding me a nice, safe cave.

Day 3
Managed to find a cave, and not a moment too soon. I could hear the moaning beginning even as I walled off the main chamber with the last of my dirt. This place is no mansion, but I suppose it’s home for now. I brought some wood with me, so I can at least get some work done in here tonight.

Day 6
Hah! I didn’t notice when I first crawled into here to hide, but I’ve got my own private lake! I’ve cleared out a nice porch area in front of my door, as well as erected a wall over the door. That’ll stop those accursed spiders from dropping on me when I walk outside *shudders* Once was enough. If that wasn’t bad enough, they lured me into an ambush in the sandpit outside! I had thought these were just dumb beasts, but perhaps I’ll have to be more careful in the future. If I hadn’t heard that telltale hissing behind me I would have been blown to smithereens.

Day 10
Praise the gods I’ve struck Iron Ore! And practically right in my pantry! I walled up that chamber when I first hid out in here for safety. Who would have thought there would be FOUR veins of iron in there?? Maybe there is hope for this place after all.

Day 12
I’ve turned my attention to the task that was set for me: to prepare this place for those who will come after. To that end, I placed a giant arrow at the water’s edge to direct others to my home. Hopefully it is large enough to be seen from across the bay, though my old eyes aren’t up to the task. I’ve also left a trail of stone leading through the forest to my doorstep. In my nighttime hours I’ve been digging downward. I’ve always found stair-building to be a peaceful pastime, and this may well be my masterpiece. Whoever comes after will find no shortage of stone.

Day 18
I’ve completed a series of beacons to lead travelers across the bay, though I almost drowned sinking the pilings. I also started on a shelter and supply cache on the edge of the desert, so that travelers won’t have to make the trek unarmed. In hindsight, it may be further from the Place of Arrival than I intended…

Day 19
Well, the Outpost, as I have humbly named this shelter, has seen its first use. I let the time get away from me and find myself stuck out here for the night. I have however taken the opportunity to add a workbench and some windows, plus stairs to the top of the wall. The place is sturdy enough, and I even happened upon the ingenious idea of knocking small gaps in the wall and dispatching the hissing monsters crowding outside. Got myself some grey powder, perhaps it will prove useful for someone more alchemically minded.

Day 21
Left a boat at the edge of the bay so that travelers won’t have to wear themselves out swimming across. Gods know I’m tired of it.

Day 25
The Stairway to the Deep is beginning to unsettle me. I’ve never dug so far without encountering a natural cavern. And I hear noises down there… Maybe I really am getting too old for this.

Day 26
Got tired of being trapped inside when those thrice-darned sun-immune buggers were hovering outside. Took the liberty of expanding the window at the end of the Iron Cave into a second exit. Not sure how comfortable I am with the roof being partly made of leaves from a nearby tree, but I just don’t have the strength to do more. Also, I’ve already found a few cows in there. No clue how they keep getting inside.

Day 30
Tonight I went out to the Outpost as twilight fell. Perhaps the gods of this land smiled on me, for my clouded eyes could see clearer than usual. Gazing off across the bay, I saw my line of beacons, even stretching all the way to the Dirt Stair. I saw the land as I had not seen it before; a land of untapped potential. How did I not see before the clear mountain pools, the great cliff faces, all ready to be molded and sculpted by an artist’s hand? For the first time, I am saddened at the thought of leaving this place. There is so much left to do. Yet it is not for my hand. I have simply prepared the way for those who come after.
In these last few days I have worried. Have I marked the way clear enough? Is the path too long, to difficult to follow? I am no architect, and my shelters are no works of art. But my time here is drawing to a close. I can feel it growing nearer. All I can do is pray that those who come after me can see this place as I have, and understand its beauty.

Day 31
I broke down the sand wall into the pit next door.  Used a whole heap of glass to turn it into a real entrance, watched the sun go down through the glass. I suspect this will be the last task I complete in this place. I am peace with it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The .rar file has the world save folder, as well as a few screenshots and a pic from mcmap after the work I've done. If anyone wants it, I also have a save folder of this world untouched.

QC Minecraft.rar
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafira.com/?a7etvajvdmm28tc
So apparently now whenever you type in the real name of that website OR use the exclamation mark trick the forums changes it to "M/F"? Which kills the link... In this case, change the "fira" to "fire"
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2011, 20:10 by SirJuggles »

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #222 on: 09 Feb 2011, 19:40 »

You might want to empty your inventory and kill yourself so that the next person starts at the spawn point to make it seem like they're just arriving.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #223 on: 09 Feb 2011, 19:50 »

Oh duh I meant to do that. Link revoked while I fix that.

edit: Link restored, will now load at the spawn point with empty inventory.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2011, 20:10 by SirJuggles »

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #224 on: 09 Feb 2011, 20:39 »

I DLed it and took a look around, looking good so far, can't wait to see what people start building.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #225 on: 11 Feb 2011, 15:30 »

I'm on it! Nearly died three times so far, maybe the grim reaper will catch up with me soon. I think I'll put the world up either Sunday or Monday.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #226 on: 13 Feb 2011, 05:18 »

Okay, that's it, I'm dead. Some screenshots, a journal, and the updated map folder and image can be downloaded here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20662983/QC%20Minecraft%202.zip

(That's a Dropbox shared file - If you'd like to do me a favor, you can sign up here for an extra 250 MB storage space for the both of us.)

If you're picking up where I left off, I recommend that you first take a look around in the world before reading more in the journal.

I've also edited the post at the top of the page listing the participants.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2011, 05:35 by LTK »

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #227 on: 13 Feb 2011, 07:24 »

Well, this week actually looks like it'll be the least busy week for me for the next entire semester (starting after monday), so I'd like to take it for this week, please.  If I don't die by Saturday I'll do as SirJuggles did and slay creepers in the night in order to have the world off my hands by the time my super crazy intensive Junior lab starts up.

After this week I probably won't be able to play very much Minecraft until May.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #228 on: 13 Feb 2011, 10:25 »

I'll take the fourth slot then if no one objects, so I'll be after you.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #229 on: 14 Feb 2011, 15:02 »

Man I'm getting really impatient for the next update.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #230 on: 18 Feb 2011, 13:22 »

My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #231 on: 19 Feb 2011, 20:48 »

I love that video.  Also this one.

Welp, I died in the succession game.  I just have to clean up my diary entries and take a pic of the map and compress the save.  I'll upload it tomorrow.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #232 on: 19 Feb 2011, 20:52 »

I am amused by all the derpshits commenting "a herp, he should have got coal"

Everyone's a fucking comedian

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #233 on: 20 Feb 2011, 03:24 »

I love that video.  Also this one.

Welp, I died in the succession game.  I just have to clean up my diary entries and take a pic of the map and compress the save.  I'll upload it tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Meanwhile, here is an Existentialist Minecraft diary.

There is also a design contest going for the look of Swedish public transport passes, and it's open to votes and submissions from anyone, without registration or regional restrictions. It's a testimony to the number of Minecraft fans that the designs for the Minecraft creeper is in the finals with 14000 votes while a trollface design has about 6500.

Another thing: Minecraft is getting beds in 1.3 that you can sleep in to skip the night and set your spawn point!
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2011, 05:05 by LTK »

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #234 on: 20 Feb 2011, 09:27 »

So here is the world after I've had my turn in it.
There's a map, some screenshots, and a diary file in there, too.
Code: [Select]
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21046891/QC%20Minecraft%203.zipI believe it is Boro Bandito's turn.

That Existentialist Minecraft was wonderful.  So beautifully written.

I can't wait for MCRegion in the new update--we should get 7x faster load times.  Hallelujah!

Also, for the succession I think we should agree to maybe not make beds and switch spawn around, since we'll be passing this game around. 

edit: Oh, also, this may be a fun little link for you guys: http://quest.bloodisgood.org/randomquest.php It creates a random quest for you depending on your preferences.  It's how I got the idea for one of my projects
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2011, 10:00 by smack that isaiah »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #235 on: 20 Feb 2011, 10:54 »

Using beds might mess up the spawns for future settlers, but we might be able to make it work for everyone. As long as you keep a bed placed exactly at the spawn point, and you sleep in it once you are finished with the world, the next player starts at the appropriate place at the appropriate time.

The quest generator also showed up on one of the twitter accounts in Mojang. I particularly liked "Build a Nether-based afternoon tea get-together with your friends!"

"Would you like some lava with your tea, Sir Juggles?"

*KABOOM*

"Don't mind if I do! Please pass me the glowstone dust, zombie pigman."

"Huuuuuurrrgghh."

*Ear piercing Ghast scream*

"Thank you kindly." *sip*
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2011, 11:03 by LTK »

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #236 on: 20 Feb 2011, 17:38 »

Alright I'm on it, I'll hop on to see what's new and do my thang tonight.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #237 on: 21 Feb 2011, 01:16 »

Squids!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #238 on: 21 Feb 2011, 06:35 »

Squids? What about squids? We've had squids for a while now.

Regarding the map: You really went crazy with all that sugar cane, didn't you isaiah? And I can't believe I missed out on diamonds hidden behind coal, usually I pick up on that sort of thing.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #239 on: 21 Feb 2011, 09:27 »

Yeah, reeds are one of the things that are the most interesting to me--because they can stop water (and lava) flow and they stop arrows, but things can walk through them.  I like the shield of reeds around bases because then skeletons that are in the ocean can't attack me from the safety of the water without getting up onto land and burning.  I was planning on making a giant walk-in aquarium/swimming pool from harvesting all the reed, but I never got around to it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #240 on: 21 Feb 2011, 11:59 »

Funny, because I had the same idea recently. Maybe I'll make one once my turn comes around again.

I like how the roleplaying aspect is turning out - I didn't actually take that into consideration when I started this up. (Did you actually play without sound?) I'll edit the top post with the characters each of us has done. I think it would be nice to pretend each one of us is a new settler, rather than having the same character return into the world.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #241 on: 21 Feb 2011, 12:32 »

Yeah, sound is broken in Minecraft on my computer for some reason (I've tried many fixes found online, but none have worked.  Hopefully with the new launcher's "full re-download of all files" option I may get it to work somehow).  The sound works perfectly fine in all other programs, it's just in Minecraft where no sounds work.

But in general I'm almost always wearing iron armor, so if a creeper sneaks up on me and explodes he won't do that much damage to me, and I always have food.  And I also have this habit of lighting things up to be crazy bright, and always looking behind me a lot.  So not having working sound has made me a really paranoid Minecrafter.

I wonder, when each of our turns rolls around again, would we step back into the world as our own characters?  or new ones?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #242 on: 21 Feb 2011, 13:03 »

Like I said, I'd prefer them to be new ones. I spent the majority of my turn in caves, so maybe I'll play as a claustrophobe the next time.

Also worth checking out:
Minecraft documentary
Mobile versions of Minecraft in the works

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #243 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:54 »

The Beta 1.3 update just hit! There is new lighting (ohmygodsopretty), beds, wooden, cobble, and sandstone half-blocks and two redstone blocks that do something logic-y.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #244 on: 22 Feb 2011, 16:14 »

Holy crap Isaiah that Satanic Ritual site was creepy as hell.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2011, 20:21 by SirJuggles »

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #245 on: 22 Feb 2011, 18:08 »

I'm glad you like it :D  That was actually the idea given to me by random quest.  I just had to do it as my goodbye to the succession world.

öde

« Reply #246 on: 23 Feb 2011, 10:31 »

What do people think of getting a server up and running?

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #247 on: 23 Feb 2011, 11:09 »

If someone's got the time and resources to get one up and running I'd love to participate, since SMP is so much improved from where it was a couple months ago it'd be really fun to all collaborate at the same time. Right now though I need to finish up on my part of the Let's Play, since this is my day off.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #248 on: 23 Feb 2011, 11:15 »

Is it my turn next?

Fissioninferno

• Not quite a lurker
  • Party-Bringer
    • Flaming Atom, Tumblr or some crap
« Reply #249 on: 23 Feb 2011, 20:59 »

What do people think of getting a server up and running?

I actually run a server most days (mc.flamingatom.com) but I don't have a dedicated machine for it yet (if/when my friend and I get our crap together we're both chipping in for a machine to throw our web stuff onto).  Also have a live map at mc.flamingatom.com:8123.

Lag-wise, not that bad, but uh... play at your own risk.  Runs Bukkit with a host of plug-ins, I try to keep it up-to-date as much as possible.  Runs usually from around noon to midnight, mountain time.

Also, as a note: if you downloaded the new launcher, it refuses to connect to Minecraft.net nine times out of ten for some reason.  I expect this to be fixed at some point, but be sure to hold onto the .exe or .jar from the old launcher.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2011, 21:08 by Fissioninferno »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28   Go Up