THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 417087 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #150 on: 08 Nov 2010, 15:26 »

The game is part open-world-exploration, part survival-horror, part medieval FPS, part architecture/construction/interior design simulator, part farming simulator, part railway simulator, part turing machine, all wrapped up in a limitless procedurally generated sandbox world. And that's just single player. If you want to look into some multiplayer mods, you can add RTS and governing sims to that list as well. There is always an aspect of the game that appeals to you.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #151 on: 11 Nov 2010, 14:23 »

Recent update included built-in Texture Pack support for those of us who are too intimidated by rooting through folders and editing files etc.

helloooo Painterly Pack! Lookin' good.  :mrgreen:
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #152 on: 14 Nov 2010, 13:36 »

I've been working on a Tron texture pack just for the hell of it.  There's a ton of stuff to do in making a full texture pack.  I'll probably upload it here just for fun when I'm done with it.  I know no one'll actually use it for their main pack, but whatever.

Also, today I was playing and my computer crashed while playing and some weird things have happened since.  First, when booting up minecraft it said that my world1 was "-empty-", but I checked and the save file was still there.  I copied the file and tried playing the world1.  It loaded it up, and I apparently spawned again in the middle of my world, near a building I had built previously.  everything I was holding was gone, and my spawn had actually moved to that new place (I tested by dying).  It's just odd is all. 

Then I decided I'd want to look at maps of the world to see if anything else got messed up with the crash, and it seems that I have 2 unaccounted for hell portals floating out in the middle of 2 separate oceans.  It's the oddest thing.  I've made 2 hell portals overall (and 2 corresponding ones in hell), yet there are 4 on the world map...
Anyone know anything about this sort of thing?
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #153 on: 14 Nov 2010, 17:15 »

That seems to occur whenever you exit the Nether by portal. When entering the Nether, the game has to find a suitable location for the portal (i.e. not in lava), so it's usually slightly displaced from it's corresponding portal 'above'. Once you exit through this portal, it will create a new portal that is exactly above the Nether portal, on the surface. The slight displacement from portal #1 is multiplied by eight, so you'll return some distance away.

But there's also a second portal spawned upon exiting the Nether, and this one can even pop up in a newly generated chunk of map. I've had it happen, and I have no idea what causes it.

Also, if you want to recover your inventory and spawn location, there should be a file somewhere in your old world map containing this data, but I'm not sure of the name. Just paste it back in place of the other file and you're good to go.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #154 on: 14 Nov 2010, 17:54 »

So I think I might just break down and buy this finally after living vicariously through all of your for far too long. Any recommendations on how I should do so? Is it on Steam? Or should I just go through the paypal link on his site?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #155 on: 14 Nov 2010, 19:37 »

paypal only at this point
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #156 on: 14 Nov 2010, 19:40 »

It's not on steam, altho Notch has said he wants it to be eventually (altho that's not too likely)
I'd suggest buying it through paypal on his site.  It's about 10 euro, which is about $13 I think.
you should get it before he takes it out of alpha (into beta) b/c then it'll no longer be half off.

And, LTK, I'll just deal with the lost inventory.  The worst thing lost was a diamond pick, but I've got extra diamond lying around.  And, I've spent a while linking a building near my new spawn with the building near my old one, so thing's'll be fine.

It's really weird about the hell portals.  Would it be ok to tear the superfluous ones down you think?  Or would it muck stuff up?  hrmmm...
The reason I don't want them just out in the open is cause i've heard that there's potential for pigman zombies and ghasts to spawn in the above world in the area around the portal, and I don't really want the portals to just be out in the open (I've built houses around the ones I knew about)

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #157 on: 14 Nov 2010, 20:00 »

Other question- My laptop is aging poorly and has trouble running things without overheating (I think it's related to dust buildup but I haven't done anything about it yet). If I have difficulty running, say, tf2 or CS:S on the lowest possible settings, how would this compare? I know it's not graphic-heavy (haha) but does the physics and environment take a lot of resources?
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #158 on: 14 Nov 2010, 20:10 »

well, it's written in Java so it is actually a bit heavier (making your comp hotter) than it should be (Java sacrifices speed and sleek memory usage for safety and ease in coding).  But, you can turn down render distance to short or tiny if computing the horizon or stars are too much for you.
I don't think it'd be too bad on you computer, other than the first time you start it (generating a new world is rather heavy), the first time you enter the Nether (this is rather slow for most people), or whenever you walk beyond the limits of your map and the game has to quickly generate new chunks.  My computer isn't the best either, and I can tell when the game starts generating new chunks of the map b/c it gets a bit slower and laggy.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #159 on: 15 Nov 2010, 20:06 »

I have a giant section flattened out, with walls around its entirety. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. Lately I can't seem to be creative at all. Digging and blowing up large chunks of TNT seems to be the only thing that amuses me anymore. I need more inspiration.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #160 on: 15 Nov 2010, 20:31 »

build the planet express ship
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #161 on: 15 Nov 2010, 20:33 »

And then....MAKE IT FLY

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #162 on: 16 Nov 2010, 04:11 »

I spent 10 hours today just exploring the underground tunnel system and trying to dig deeper. Damn skeletons.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #163 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:34 »

10 hours?  Oh gosh, what have we done to you?  I'm so sorry for your family, loved ones, work, and/or school.

Found anything cool yet?  Also, I do really hope that Notch turns down the skeletons difficulty somehow.  Every other monster I'm fine with, it's just skeletons which are just too annoying with their ranged attack and so forth.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #164 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:25 »

I'm thinking I can keep it under control.

I don't think he has. Those arrows are arghalhghaegalhaeral. I tried making a bow-and-arrow to fight back with but I fell down a hole somewhere and lost it forever, and string is a pain to get.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #165 on: 16 Nov 2010, 18:00 »

build the planet express ship

Hmm... Not a bad idea.

My field is 62x132, completely flat with bigass walls on all four sides. I gotta start sketching this out.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #166 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:47 »

EDIT: I fixed the ores so I like them more
welp, I've finished my tron texture pack.  The armors and the animals/mobs are my favorites

(the rest linked cause there are quite a few screenshots i took (with the new built in screenshot taking command!))
sheep
chests/furnace/crafting table/painting of the MCP
zombie (nighttime seems darker in the screenshot than it did when playing...)
cow/grass/trees
snow/torches (torches are supposed to be like the bit from the movie... didn't work out so well
spiders
spider
nether-bloodstone/slow mud
nether-lightstone/bloodstone
nether-obsidian
furnace/duck
creeper (again, night seems darker in the picture...)
also, lava and water are technically reskinned, but theres a glitch in it where w/o a mod the lava and water are the default for some reason
what i'm most disappointed in is the coal/gold/iron/diamond don't really shout "coal/gold..."  they're just kinda... weird

Here's the download, it's Tron.zip, just put it in the texturepacks folder and you can click it and it'll work. 
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/?3r1rqmys3d8nsjm(I realize that few people would use it as a real texture pack, but I figure some people will mess around and play one session with it.  I just made it for fun (and my girlfriend kept bugging me saying it'd be /so cool/ to make a texture pack (in reality there are just soooo many things to redo that it's quite a hassle)))
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2010, 10:53 by smack that isaiah »

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #167 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:19 »

Dang this game needs light cycles. Awesome job!

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #168 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:54 »

I updated the Tron pack I made to make the ores better (I like the new ones a lot)

(new pics of some fixed things:)
coal
redstone
diamond
iron
ghast
snow

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?3r1rqmys3d8nsjm (this code also updated in the original post)

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #169 on: 23 Nov 2010, 07:13 »

I also decided to randomly make a Matrix texture pack for minecraft.
here's the thread I made on the minecraftforum: Matrix pack
and I made some youtubes: in the world, and in the nether

Here's the link if anyone wants to mess around with it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5mabz74onb81299

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #170 on: 23 Nov 2010, 12:53 »

That doesn't look very random to me, you liar

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #171 on: 23 Nov 2010, 21:37 »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #172 on: 25 Nov 2010, 13:02 »

Okay, maybe not impressive at all after that guy making a damn CPU in that link right above this, but still, I've started a new project! I've finished the main hall of my new, underground complex (15X12X30, I think). I'm planning on adding a church on the right side and a library on the left, and then look into the possibility of making some kind of living quarters-like stuff directly to the front.

I'm not quite sure why I've chosen to make churches and libraries. Probably because they're easy to make recognizable on small scale. I've made a church before, and that turned out pretty nice, so I think I'll make something similar, but bigger, with benches and a gold altar (maybe a mob encased in glass in the middle of the cross would be too much?). That last one got messed up when I experimented with inventory managers and save editors to merge my earlier projects. Since that failed, I've pretty much decided to start over again.

There's a couple of things I miss from the stuff you can make. Glass- and stone stairs in addition to the cobblestone ones would've been great. Stone because it looks better than stone, and glass because then you can have lava rivers under your staircases, bypassing the need for torches, which would've been neat. Also it'd be fun to build and look cool, so there's an distinct gameplay advantage.

Now that it got me thinking, I had to check on how water/lava flows over stairs. It's weird.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #173 on: 25 Nov 2010, 13:32 »

Actually, the last time I checked (could have been fixed in the update), stairs are permeable to daylight, so if you have a lava flow directly beneath your stairs, it will illuminate the space above it. It might hold a risk of burning you, though. Similarly, a roof made of stairs lets sunlight through during the day.

Now that player and monster health is in, we started a new server in order to put the Survival back into Survival Multiplayer. Monsters, drowning, suffocating, burning and falling now kills you like it's supposed to, so building big and impressive stuff is actually a challenge. However, going into combat is suicidal because of the lag. It takes a dozen sword hits to kill an animal, and more to kill a monster, so if they come at you more than one at a time, you're screwed. In addition, arrows do no damage. Still, playing Minecraft SMP 'fair' is a step forward, even if it's a clumsy one where it nearly collapsed.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #174 on: 25 Nov 2010, 18:52 »

just a note to snalin--it looks like you're doing "print screen" to take a pic of minecraft--one update a little while ago added a screenshot function to minecraft.  you press and hold F1 (removes your hand/item bar), then press F2 (takes the pic), then let go and the screen will tell you the name of your pic.  it'll be in the .screenshots folder, right next to the .texturepacks folder in your Minecraft directory.
In those pics your hand doesn't get in the way, and the bottom bars do not show up.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #175 on: 26 Nov 2010, 03:15 »

I din't know about the built in screenshots. Thanks!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #176 on: 30 Nov 2010, 00:49 »

Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #177 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:18 »

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #178 on: 30 Nov 2010, 16:25 »

hey jace which fraser are you sig quoting
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #179 on: 30 Nov 2010, 19:40 »

Minecraft HD!
The video is quite pretty, and the fake interview with Notch is hilarious.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #180 on: 30 Nov 2010, 22:30 »

hey jace which fraser are you sig quoting

I think it is you, from meebo quite a while ago. I dunno, the name in meebo was Fraser.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #181 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:17 »

i don't remember what i had said but i hope it was hilarious

usagichan

« Reply #182 on: 02 Dec 2010, 10:54 »

Hey, guys. My minecraft projects are horribly boring, but I have a friend who makes Minecraft videos and is pretty entertaining:

http://www.youtube.com/interactivetodd

Check him out, if you get the chance?  :psyduck:

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #183 on: 03 Dec 2010, 17:50 »

so the multiplayer working properly makes this game a shit ton more awesome.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #184 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:41 »

Beta will be out by the December 20th. Notch has said that amongst other things leaf decay will be out before beta, and that's really been missing since he took it out. Harvesting leaves are not fun.

There will also be "some kind of non-intrusive narrative to the game to help drive the game experience early on, and to provide some kind of late game goal". Sounds great. I'm so happy that this comes out the day of my last exam, instead of, say, the day before.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #185 on: 13 Dec 2010, 11:37 »

So my Minecraft server had an interesting weekend.

Friday night I finished a 'greenhouse' glass dome, and decided to make a 'space simulator' next door. So I sets a point at one corner at +20 AGL, hit the other corner of the cuboid I want and set it at -63 (Assuming 'sea level' as zero, puts the top of the sky at +64 and the void at -64), set the contained area to zero, patch the water and lava, and then completely lose my mind.

I get on the bottom center and make a sphere, hollow, of glass..   

200 cubes in radius. It's large enough that you cannot see both side simultaneously, and cuts off enough at skytop that it looks like a circle, not a sphere.

So I //undo that command, and crash the server. I reboot same and log back in, and try again with a 100 radius.

server stays up. Far too damn large, though. //undo

server crash.

at this point, fark it. I do 75 50 25 radius hollow spheres of glass..   no space simulator, but if you get high on the walls and look at it, it's kinda glowy and wiggly, neat moire patterns.. 

I made a hyperspherical minecraft nuclear reactor. That's my story now, and I'm sticking to it.

Saturday, one of my users fumbled a command and made a 500 radius sphere of leafblocks instead of a 5 radius, and tried to burn it out.

We ended up having to roll the server back from a backup.

Turned animals and monsters back on, things are starting to get interesting.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #186 on: 13 Dec 2010, 17:48 »

I've been working on my stuff a bit more. I think the whole place is definitely getting a cult feeling, which I like.

Main hall: I'm still working on the library, but the satanist/whatever church is up and running. Happy with the fountain effect and lighting

the church: I'm not happy with the pillars. I also want more of the light-glass, but hell it's a hassle to get to.

farm: became necessary. I'm getting reeds so fast now.

stairs: I figured out that you can spam picture placement to go through all of the pictures. I like the effect.

what's this?

what can it be?

it's this fucking tower: it extends from 5-10 squares over the obsidian to 20ish over the sea level, on the same hill as my main enterance.

This: is the amount of lava it took. I had one accident with lava in the stairs, took me half an hour to clean up.

Distance shot: of where I'm at. I figured out that using the flamable red rock from the nether and make a lot of fire would be ideal for keeping creepers away when I go outside. I didn't think of all the free meat/feathers/hides that comes from animals constantly walking into the fires.

Geez I need to go to sleep.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #187 on: 14 Dec 2010, 23:33 »

holy god

Man, the intense dedication to building that computer in-game gets me every time.
This too.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #188 on: 15 Dec 2010, 10:33 »

So I was exploring around in my worlds a few weeks ago and I found a chunk error in both of them.  Anyway, I finally got around to taking pics of the more interesting one today (I promised I wouldn't play any Minecraft until after finals, and they're finally over!)

It's especially awesome b/c it's a very small error where there's just suddenly a valley and sheer cliffs where there should be a mountain, and 1/2 of it is in a very small snow biome.

The other world's chunk error made a huge sheer cliff in the middle of the ocean.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #189 on: 15 Dec 2010, 10:38 »

I've read (somewhere) that that's a bug that usually appears when you stand still for a very long time, and then start moving into unexplored territory. I can imagine that it's the engine getting confused about if it should continue making the same biome or switch or something like that.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #190 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:05 »

That could explain the sudden line of snow (although I don't recall anytime when I'd stop moving for a long period of time in Minecraft--usually if I know I'll be away from my computer for a while I put it to sleep), but I don't think it'd explain the sudden drop from a mountain to a valley and then back again.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #191 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:31 »

It's what happens when a new section of terrain is generated with an updated version of the game. You leave the world, the game is updated, and the next time you go there, the terrain generation algorithm starts from scratch in creating new terrain. That's what's causing the giant cliffs.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #192 on: 21 Dec 2010, 16:59 »

harbar.us

/tg/ minecraft server. It is okay but some jerk poured lava into my base while renovating it and I lost all my tools and some iron and a bunch of clay.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #193 on: 29 Dec 2010, 18:57 »

A Minecraft Rube Goldberg Machine

So how's everyone enjoying Beta?  I'm so happy that leaf decay is back.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #194 on: 26 Jan 2011, 09:45 »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #195 on: 26 Jan 2011, 10:25 »

A Minecraft Rube Goldberg Machine

So how's everyone enjoying Beta?  I'm so happy that leaf decay is back.

I've played it for a total of probably 30 minutes since it's gone into Beta.

Not because I wanted to or didn't want to, but because my roommate moved out and took his fancy computer with him so the only times I've played recently were short bursts of a couple minutes over at his place, just to check out the new stuff, and then for a couple minutes on my other roommate's shitty old computer that can barely run Minecraft with all settings as low as they can go.

I need to get a goddamn computer already

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #196 on: 26 Jan 2011, 12:16 »

I created a new world after the Beta 1.2 update because of the new trees and Lapis Lazuli ore. Well, actually, I created several dozen new worlds and kept deleting them because I didn't like them at first glance, but eventually I found one I liked. I spawned on a sort of atoll with a deep lake in the middle, so I started with covering the lake with a floor of sandstone - decimating every beach in the area to make it - and put up a big wall around it. Inside, I put a watch tower, a furnace room with lava streams, a living space with bookshelves and a table full of cake, a cactus farm, reeds farm, tree farm, wheat farm, a small garden where cattle spawn en masse at night, a portal, a harbor, and after that I still had enough room left for a decorative pool in the middle.

Then I went into the Nether, walked a mile, warped back, and found my exit portal to be fifty blocks above the sea. After that I found a big mountain with caves snaking through it, and I'm making that my next home.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #197 on: 01 Feb 2011, 22:22 »

Awoke on mountain of sand, looked down, giant lake.
Coal, coal everywhere.
Built small tunnel under mountain, secondary home
Began work on floating fortress. Have water elevator.
While standing in fortress during the night, see a tree on fire in the distance.
Must explore.
Explore to burning tree during day.
Giant lava pool exposed to surface only a short walk from floating fortress
 :psyduck: <-- Mon visage quand

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #198 on: 02 Feb 2011, 15:48 »

I keep trying to get a good world to start anew on but every time I try I think of all the grand structures on my main world and how I don't want to abandon it because of all the work, but then I want new things and that world is 19mb and it takes a long time to load.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #199 on: 03 Feb 2011, 01:15 »

backup your main world, make a new one that looks good, and hack in all the cool structures you want. I don't see that as cheating.

I wonder if you could make a mod that allowed you to move between your worlds. Would make a bloody mess out of the save files unless you forced teleportation back to your original world upon quitting, but still kinda cool.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28   Go Up