THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bioshock: Infinite  (Read 35566 times)

ackblom12

Re: Bioshock: Infinite
« Reply #150 on: 12 Apr 2013, 09:57 »

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2013, 10:16 by ackblom12 »

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #151 on: 12 Apr 2013, 10:16 »

(click to show/hide)
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #152 on: 12 Apr 2013, 10:36 »

(click to show/hide)

Parkour Lewis

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Does my butt look bigger on the inside?
« Reply #153 on: 12 Apr 2013, 10:39 »

Here's a question I never quite figured out the answer to, maybe there was a Vox that I missed or maybe I just imagined the idea in my head, but
(click to show/hide)
When heaven's in the music, Hell is in control.
The Angels got the phonebox but the Devil's got the rock and roll.

ackblom12

« Reply #154 on: 12 Apr 2013, 10:45 »

(click to show/hide)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #155 on: 12 Apr 2013, 11:21 »

I just remembered that I still don't know who the dead guy in the lighthouse is.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Who?

(click to show/hide)
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2013, 11:27 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #156 on: 12 Apr 2013, 12:01 »

(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #157 on: 12 Apr 2013, 12:06 »

You're thinking of Joseph Smith.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #158 on: 12 Apr 2013, 12:14 »

Okay, I just rented Infinite, we'll see if it holds up to the tongue baths you lot have been giving it.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #159 on: 12 Apr 2013, 12:16 »

Honestly, I enjoyed it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #160 on: 12 Apr 2013, 12:18 »

You're thinking of Joseph Smith.

DERP

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #161 on: 12 Apr 2013, 16:40 »

Okay so I'm a bit of the way in, not sure if it's a buy yet, but I'm having fun that's certain. Agreeing with TB on many of his points, especially the combat which is functional at least. I knew the race stuff was there but MAN this is freakin blatant, I'm not surprised some folks were uncomfortable...

(click to show/hide)
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #162 on: 12 Apr 2013, 16:47 »

That's kind of the point of them, isn't it?

Also, I'd still like to see the whole intra-uterine cannibalism theory explained.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #163 on: 12 Apr 2013, 16:57 »

(click to show/hide)

Parkour Lewis

« Reply #164 on: 12 Apr 2013, 18:43 »

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

ackblom12

« Reply #165 on: 12 Apr 2013, 18:54 »

(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #166 on: 12 Apr 2013, 21:00 »

This is awesome. Like holy crap, I agree with TB more and more as the game goes on, but Elizabeth's story arc and status as "Least annoying AI support character ever" alone make it worth it.

Parkour Lewis

« Reply #167 on: 12 Apr 2013, 21:07 »

This is awesome. Like holy crap, I agree with TB more and more as the game goes on, but Elizabeth's story arc and status as "Least annoying AI support character ever" alone make it worth it.

I had my doubts about her too, and was surprised how well they pulled that bit off.  Sit around sometime during a normal non-combat city sequence and watch her interact with the world.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #168 on: 13 Apr 2013, 00:03 »

So I just marathoned the hell out of this game. That I did a marathon speaks volumes for me because I haven't sat down for a solid block of gaming in this quantity since I was in high school (not counting the mass effect franchise) so some points.

It's good. Really freaking good. Like holy crap throw the designers some roses and stand for applause cause this was genuinely GOOD. The story and characters in particular made this game golden. The twins are awesome, Booker himself is interesting and Elizabeth is easily the best AI Support Character I've ever had forced on me, even if her item and cash spawn gimmick was almost too convenient at times.Not that I was complaining I really needed it here and there. Gorgeous environments, powerful score, I could give this game a tongue bath for a few hours on the above points alone. Especially Elizabeth's game play functions. Holy freaking HELL it only took how long to make an AI partner not suck? I really can't say enough for the story too.

Now let's talk gakkyness. Not that there's much to talk about, I pretty much agreed with a lot of what Total Biscuit was saying in his "WTF" review for Infinite. The combat and gunplay could still stand some more tweaking, the guns weren't anything new or exciting, even if I still very much enjoyed the hand cannon, because field artillery. In your hand. That's always awesome.

Spoiler time! Cause the rest of my issue lays in the realm of story, which I was just praising seconds ago you'll have noticed.
(click to show/hide)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #169 on: 13 Apr 2013, 04:04 »

(click to show/hide)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #170 on: 13 Apr 2013, 05:57 »

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Overthinking, woo!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #171 on: 13 Apr 2013, 07:24 »

Overthinking
No such thing.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

« Reply #172 on: 13 Apr 2013, 07:49 »

(click to show/hide)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #173 on: 13 Apr 2013, 13:49 »

Eurogamer's explanation of the ending, along with some other things.

(click to show/hide)

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #174 on: 13 Apr 2013, 14:19 »

(click to show/hide)

I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #175 on: 15 Apr 2013, 10:40 »

(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #176 on: 15 Apr 2013, 15:30 »

Good vid Ackblom!

ackblom12

« Reply #177 on: 07 May 2013, 05:25 »

This is another good talk on the Ludonarrative Dissonance of some games, including Bioshock: Infinite and the new Tomb Raider

Edit: I would like to point out that I disagree with him on quite a few things in this video, but I figured it was good for what it is.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2013, 11:07 by ackblom12 »

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #178 on: 11 May 2013, 19:33 »

So after my brother had a gander at the game (twice), I decided I was going to kick him off the couch and sink a few hours into the game myself.

My thoughts at the moment are that I'm not really seeing the magic right now. I'm sure as time goes on things will change; to me the game feels like a real marathon, the subject material seems simple enough, but I find myself unable to play it for hours like I did for Tomb Raider. I can appreciate many things about Infinite - the sound direction and music is phenomenal and the setting warms my cockles a lot more than Rapture did all those years back. Elizabeth, as many people have said time and time again, is a shining example of great character design and expression. She matches the cartoonish and outlandish world of Columbia excellently with her Pixar-like facial expression and slightly exaggerated physical expression, conveys emotions excellently with an excellent voice actor to back it all up. For me her A.I is indeed great, she doesn't get in the way, gives health and salt regen and ammunition on occasion, etc., but I attribute that less to the developers being brilliant masterminds and more to them being not stupid. So the game warps her behind me most of the time whenever combat happens and doesn't put her in my way when I'm trying to aim down the sights? That's cool, I guess. Okay.
In other words, I enjoy it but I'm not sufficiently wowed by it to gush as much as other people have. Which I suppose could summarise most of my feelings about the game!

I don't care much for Booker. Throughout the whole thing there feels like a whole lot of cryptic bullshit being thrown at me without any explanation for exactly what or why my player character is being accused of everything. Some of it can be easily attributed to the gobbledygook religious extremism of Columbia, others pertain specifically to Booker's backstory that either he conveniently forgets (Huh? A.D? I SUDDENLY NOTICED THIS THING ON MY HAND WHAT THUH.) or the game just won't tell us (at times where many characters involved seem to already know) for the purposes of structured narrative expression. I don't mind the intent behind the mystery, per se - a lot of it does help to drive me on to continue playing the game - but just once I would appreciate having the game straight up explain a point of backstory to me when some plot point is addressed, without having to slog through several hours of heavily prosaic conversation. You know, just for a change in pace.  :mrgreen:
tl;dr, I had a lot of "what the fuck are you talking about? What the fuck do you mean? Does anyone in this fucking place give a straight answer to anything?"

As an aside, there were some voxophones here and there that I feel would have been better used incorporated directly into the story, but I'm not enough of an expert on game design to say how exactly that could be implemented. Just opinions (as is most of this post, for that matter)

The backtracking and exploration of Infinite's world is much more enjoyable than most other games that do it, but I still think that Infinite has some gosh-darn pacing issues. There's a sense of wonderment going between A to B but personally there are some sections (especially early on in the game) where I felt like skipping most of the world and just reaching my objective. But then given this game's habit of dumping fairly important enlightening plot details in miscellaneous bits located in innocuous corners of the level I go nuts just wasting ages walking around and looking in corners to figure out what exactly the fuck is going on in this place. So it's partially to do with me being a dum dum, but also partly due to there just being long stretches of empty space from A to B probably designed to hold just the right amount of distance for Booker and Elizabeth to have a conversation starting from A and finishing just at the end of B. And then there's just sections of walking around and establishing the world (and its corresponding dimensions). Maybe Irrational just had so much they were really, really enthusiastic on showing to the player so they just had to fit it in somehow, and I enjoy the tangible sense of bigness that some other open-ish games (Deus Ex: HR especially comes to mind) might be lacking in, but I felt that for such a linear game as Infinite the amount of embellishment and the "look at this! Over there, clouds! and those political and religious undertones!" was a tad too self-indulgent for my tastes.

Not much to say about the combat for me, it was alright but (especially compared to the original Bioshock's) nothing exceptional as a first-person shooter.

I don't like being a grump with petty gripes and I hate to be a debbie downer on the thread, but you know. I wanted to get as hype as other people and I just didn't, unfortunately. It's still a great game, though.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #179 on: 11 May 2013, 19:56 »

Agreed about the Voxophones, it kind of pissed me off a little when someone would mention a plot point I didn't get, then find out they knew because they found a Voxophone I'd apparently missed. Voxophones for a little extra something are fine, but don't hide the actual plot in them.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #180 on: 12 May 2013, 04:41 »

The thing is using the voxophones isn't inherently a bad idea per se, because I think collectibles in games are a great way to add plot or exposition without having to put some infodump into a cutscene or have someone blurt it out in say, a flashback or whatever. But they need to be implemented/placed in such a way as more important ones are more easily found and less out-of-the-way than, say, some easter egg or random tidbit on racism.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #181 on: 03 Jun 2013, 21:05 »

Finished playing Bioshock on Saturday night, downloaded 2 last night so I'm playing that at the moment. So far, I'm enjoying the series. (I've just left Grace Holloway, so that will give you an idea where I am. My only gripes with 2 at the moment is the really small number of first aid kits and Eve hypos you can carry, that and the fact that you can't manually top up your Eve, having to use it up so that it automatically refills is annoying, especially in the middle of protecting a Little Sister).

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #182 on: 04 Jun 2013, 10:19 »

Just gonna go ahead and Spoiler most of this, just in case.

(click to show/hide)

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #183 on: 04 Jun 2013, 12:51 »

Generally, if one has to break the downsides of Bioshock Infinite down to one thing, it's that it is too ambitious.
(click to show/hide)
There's also a large building in the large area before you enter Comstock's house, that you can enter, but that there's nothing but a broken elevator shaft and a locked door inside. They had clearly intended to do something with it.

I believe it's said that the plot and ending of the game didn't really come together until mere months before the original release. That is really a problem ken Levine has; he seems to be a little too ambitious. That's a rare attribute in today's gaming industry.. Anyways, I really hope they don't try to out-do themselves with their next game, and instead try to find that fine line between too simple/generic/predictable and overambitious/over-complicated/messy. (which I think that Infinite got at times, especially regarding the mechanics of the dimensional travel.)
I dunno..

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #184 on: 04 Jun 2013, 20:02 »

One thing I meant to comment on earlier, some gameplay mechanics examinations I read earlier posit that vigor traps do a greater base damage or effect, generally, than just launching them. I wish I'd realized that, I might have been tempted to use them more (since I pretty never used them ever ever ever)

EDIT: Disclosure's sake, I'm also probably pretty bad at this game.

ackblom12

« Reply #185 on: 13 Jun 2013, 00:29 »

Ok, this is probably my last share for Infinite, but this Extra Credits does a good job of explaining not only why the problems with Infinite were problems, but also why sequels in general tend to suffer from it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #186 on: 30 Jul 2013, 05:25 »

Rapture DLC! DO WANT

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #187 on: 30 Jul 2013, 05:52 »

Not a valid youtube URL
auughllbllrllb

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #188 on: 30 Jul 2013, 05:59 »

Yup, gonna get it.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up