THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bioshock: Infinite  (Read 36261 times)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
Re: Bioshock: Infinite
« Reply #50 on: 26 Mar 2013, 21:28 »

I'm kind of a powergamer. Anyway. . .

Holy.

CRAP.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #51 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:22 »

I got it yesterday, have played for about 6 hours or so. The mos noticeable thing is how much more chaotic combat is, but I really like the tear system, which really gives you a sense of control over the bigger, more spread out battles.

The only thing I don't like is the fact you can only carry 2 guns at once. I wouldn't mind if we were all about the realism, but...it's Bioshock. Although, that is the ONLY thing I don't lke. Game is so damn good.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #52 on: 27 Mar 2013, 04:26 »

Eh, I'll admit it can be a little frustrating to have just dropped a useful weapon for something that looked kinda cool only to be screaming bloody murder for it ten minutes later, but it's really a complete non-issue. I did feel the combat got a little spammy at times, but yeah, again a non-issue. Kinda likeable actually. Haven't felt that frustrated by a game in a good way in ages.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #53 on: 27 Mar 2013, 09:05 »

The only thing I don't like is the fact you can only carry 2 guns at once. I wouldn't mind if we were all about the realism, but...it's Bioshock. Although, that is the ONLY thing I don't lke. Game is so damn good.
A 2 weapon limit?! Christ, what happened to Levine that he would do this to Bioshock?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #54 on: 27 Mar 2013, 11:17 »

I've been told by many people that this game is great. I was still convinced that Irrational could not pull off the action that the game had portrayed in the previous trailers.

Thank god I was proven wrong.

ackblom12

« Reply #55 on: 28 Mar 2013, 00:49 »

Just beat the game.

Holy shit...

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #56 on: 28 Mar 2013, 03:15 »

I know, right?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #57 on: 28 Mar 2013, 03:27 »

no spoilers! This is the only game in YEARS (since Portal 1) that I'm playing completely unspoilered!

ackblom12

« Reply #58 on: 28 Mar 2013, 04:16 »

No worries, I'm going to put off talking details for a few more days I think. That or shit loads of spoiler tags.

I will say that the ending is perfect.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #59 on: 28 Mar 2013, 04:25 »

Note to self: don't look at this thread in Tapatalk (spoiler tags don't work there).
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #60 on: 28 Mar 2013, 05:26 »

Don't worry, I don't think anyone would want to spoil this.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #61 on: 28 Mar 2013, 05:41 »

Think again. Apparently when the game got leaked shortly before release, people didn't really like the ending. One particular jerk went and spammed comment threads full with copy-pasted messages of the twist in bold. So I read enough to know the general concept before having the presence of mind to wrench my eyes away.

Also: Without manual saves, 1999 mode is bullshit.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #62 on: 28 Mar 2013, 08:05 »

Yeah, I'm really missing manual saves right now. Walking by a police barrier by mistake and having to reload 5 minutes back is a pretty big hassle.

I'm torn on the two guns thing - they've probably thought that it adds tactical depth, but to me, I really miss being able to select the right gun for the situation. Going to a new area with long sight lines, and then being stuck on hand cannon and mortar is kind of a bitch.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #63 on: 28 Mar 2013, 08:29 »

You know what I liked best about the previous weapon system? The creativity and variety that went into the weapons. Bioshock 1 and 2 had things like electric, phosphorous and exploding buckshot, proximity grenades, liquid nitrogen, trap rivets, and rocket spears. There's nothing of the sort in Infinite; it's all just bullets or explosives.

I feel a bit like I'm being all "Change is ba-a-a-ad, games should always stay the sa-a-a-ame" but I really think this was what set the gunplay in Bioshock apart from all the other shooters, so I'm sad it's gone. On the other hand, I haven't gotten to the point where the skyrails start getting involved in the combat, so I don't have a complete picture yet.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #64 on: 28 Mar 2013, 09:39 »

The thing is, they don't ever limit what vigors you can bring into combat, and all are trapable, so you get some of that depth back. But yeah, I do miss the different kinds of ammo. With more enemies and more and cheaper ammo, you get to shoot your guns much more, which is a lot of fun. The gunplay is all in all an entirely different beast, and I'm not sure which I like better - seems like I have to go back to Bioshock once I'm done.

One thing that's cool about the weapons is that they all look really gorgeous. Even the standard machine gun has a lot of character.

Has anyone figured out how to actually get behind the mechanized patriots? Shocking them stuns them for a bit, but usually not for long enough to make the entire trip around them, and possessing somebody to work as a decoy works for a bit, but the patriots seems to be smart enough to turn towards you once you start pumping out damage.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #65 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:32 »

Regarding the Patriots, they get stunned for much longer once you buy the update. Before that... I improvised.

I must say I finished the game now and I am thoroughly confused.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #66 on: 28 Mar 2013, 13:04 »

Also, you don't have to get exactly behind them, just shooting the gears from the side works as well.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #67 on: 28 Mar 2013, 14:16 »

Yeah, but they're pretty quick even for that. Still, they are the best for possession though, I think.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #68 on: 28 Mar 2013, 14:17 »

I never thought of possessing them, I'd have thought that wouldn't work -

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #69 on: 28 Mar 2013, 14:22 »

Oh no. It works. Just don't shoot them while you're at it, it gives you that 'shooting Allies' crap.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #70 on: 28 Mar 2013, 14:25 »

I just thought that was a cheap pop-up that had no further ramifications whatsoever.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #71 on: 28 Mar 2013, 14:31 »

Maybe, but I ain't taking no chances.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #72 on: 28 Mar 2013, 15:49 »

Neither did I   :-D

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #73 on: 28 Mar 2013, 17:04 »

To my fellow pc gamers, I found this very helpful: ini tweaks. You can get the FOV as far as you want (the usual preferences are 90 on a pc-monitor you are sitting near, and 75, the default maximum, for tv-screens a metre or two away), remove the damn hour of intro videos, and adjust the mouse settings (I did not find that necessary, as you can turn off mouse acceleration in the in-game menu). There will probably pop up more ini-goodies as time goes on.

I think we also need a spoiler thread to discuss that ending. Gonna make it tomorrow if nobody has.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #74 on: 28 Mar 2013, 17:34 »

But. . . why would you want to?

ackblom12

« Reply #75 on: 29 Mar 2013, 01:51 »

Bioshock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia board game

Well that looks interesting. I'm waiting for the rules to be released before I decide, but it sounds rather promising and Plaid Hat has a pretty great track record.

I'd also like to go on record saying that Handymen are fucking assholes.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2013, 01:57 by ackblom12 »

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #76 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:38 »

remove the damn hour of intro videos
Have you tried clicking? That works just as well, without altering ini settings.
Also FOV is adjustable ingame.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #77 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:50 »

... I couldn't click away most of the intro movies. And 75 is as much as you get the FOV up to without twiddling.

The handymen... I think on shows up 3 times (maybe 4) throughout the game, and it's a pretty big challenge every time. If you're not hitting their heart, they can eat an entire crank gun clip. Every time it came down to shooting them a lot, shocking them when they got close, and jumping to the nearest skyline to get the hell out. Fun times.

Okay, if people are okay with it, I'm going to spoiler tag spoiler things. Ender spoilers under spoiler tags, you are warned:

(click to show/hide)

Also replaying Bioshock 1, and the would you kindly thing is really obvious now. Even in the five seconds you are sitting in the plane at the beginning, you see a package in your lap, and a note on the package starting with "would you kindly". I'd like to see if that kind of core plot details are possible to spot early on in Infinite.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #78 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:58 »

which movie didn't work? Aside from the actual loadscreen (which will always appear, as it loads the environment the menu is in), all videos were skippable.

(click to show/hide)

ackblom12

« Reply #79 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:12 »

There's definitely a lot that's telegraphed early on, though I'll have to do my replay to confirm more specific examples.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #80 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:13 »

(click to show/hide)

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #81 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:22 »

(click to show/hide)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #82 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:30 »

(click to show/hide)

ackblom12

« Reply #83 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:33 »

(click to show/hide)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #84 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:42 »

(click to show/hide)

ackblom12

« Reply #85 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:45 »

(click to show/hide)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #86 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:49 »

(click to show/hide)

ackblom12

« Reply #87 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:53 »

(click to show/hide)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #88 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:56 »

(click to show/hide)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #89 on: 29 Mar 2013, 08:03 »

(click to show/hide)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #90 on: 29 Mar 2013, 08:08 »

(click to show/hide)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #91 on: 29 Mar 2013, 17:26 »

These checkpoints must BURN in the DEEPEST pits of HELL.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #92 on: 30 Mar 2013, 06:06 »

IMHO, this is worth the price of admission alone:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #93 on: 30 Mar 2013, 07:14 »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #94 on: 30 Mar 2013, 07:22 »

IMHO, this is worth the price of admission alone:
'will the circle be unbroken'

(click to show/hide)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #95 on: 30 Mar 2013, 18:41 »

Well, I just finished it. Everything makes sense. Except, not.

Also replaying Bioshock 1, and the would you kindly thing is really obvious now. Even in the five seconds you are sitting in the plane at the beginning, you see a package in your lap, and a note on the package starting with "would you kindly". I'd like to see if that kind of core plot details are possible to spot early on in Infinite.
It's not as glaringly obvious in hindsight as it was in Bioshock 1. Even if you notice the things that point towards what really happened, it's easy to find an alternative explanation. I went in knowing the big twist, and it didn't became conclusive until Comstock's last voxophone recording said what he meant by...

(click to show/hide)

Gonna read the rest of those spoilers now.

(click to show/hide)
Totally saw that coming.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Now, there's only one thing left that I really don't understand. How the hell does Comstock actually tell the future?
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2013, 18:49 by LTK »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #96 on: 30 Mar 2013, 19:30 »

Now, there's only one thing left that I really don't understand. How the hell does Comstock actually tell the future?

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

ackblom12

« Reply #97 on: 30 Mar 2013, 19:38 »

(click to show/hide)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #98 on: 30 Mar 2013, 20:02 »

(click to show/hide)
Ahh, I get it now. I did listen to that voxophone where Lutece explains this, so I just forgot.

The timeline is thus:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2013, 05:19 by LTK »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #99 on: 30 Mar 2013, 23:28 »

(click to show/hide)
Great game, though. And after listening to that, I think I might have to acquire the soundtrack.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up