"You want the paper?" "Just the sports section, please."
- 8 (13.1%)
"How the hell are things MORE awkward?"
- 0 (0%)
NOT DURING WORK HOURS.
- 3 (4.9%)
Seriously. It's OK. Let it go.
- 0 (0%)
I WILL LET YOU TOUCH MY BOOBS IF YOU'LL SHUT UP.
- 13 (21.3%)
Boob touching!
- 8 (13.1%)
"I hate to interrupt your reverie, but..." SHHHH!
- 13 (21.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 11-15 October 2010 (1771-1775)  (Read 86568 times)

Jerein

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT: 11-15 October 2010
« Reply #200 on: 15 Oct 2010, 09:18 »

I don't see what's so hot about just putting your hands on her boobs.  A huge part of my enjoyment about touching a girl's breasts is bringing her pleasure at doing so, and there's nothing really pleasurable about just putting your hands lightly there.  C'mon Angus, you're in a back alley, knead those suckers!

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #201 on: 15 Oct 2010, 09:45 »

When I used to have a watch, I had to switch it to my left wrist to play guitar.

Faye's not breaking down into Panic Attack Mode.  I'm impressed.

Though the way Angus is just standing there, you'd think he's never touched a boob before.  

Dude.  They're Faye's boobs.  Even if he has, with Faye's it would seem like the first time.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #202 on: 15 Oct 2010, 10:11 »

And if it (or anything, really) doesn't feel like the first time all over again with a new person, chances are you're doing it wrong.

Left wrist for the watch, and the face on the inside of the wrist. Don't ask me why I do that, because I actually can't remember. ANd if possible, the watch comes off for serious typing.

I think the idea is, you do so many more things with your dominant hand, chances are that, if you wear your watch on that hand, you'd catch things with your watch much more often than when you wear it on your non-dominant* hand
No charge. :-) And, so far as I know, (see below) non-dominant is the correct term. Makes more sense than secondary, anyway, given there isn't (hopefully) a tertiary.
(Also, welcome to the Borg of languages. If English sees another language and likes something it has, it attacks, subdues, takes the 'good' part and assimilates, something at which it's often less than successful—for example, even after all these years, it's still chewing on a vowel shift. A joy to all who attempt to learn it as a second, third, or whathaveyou language, and the reason some of us try not to stop this, but to put on the brakes a bit so we English speakers can at least pretend to understand one another when we write.)
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2010, 10:16 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

ems

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #203 on: 15 Oct 2010, 10:16 »

I'm one of those oddities who wear watches on their right wrist and write with their right hand. I don't wear them anymore, due to having a tiny wrist and wanting a small watch face with a leather strap instead of metal (I'm allergic to most of the metals that come with watches). I also keep the watch face on the outside, not the inside, so I guess I'm masculine that way? *shrug* I also used to wear watches when I didn't feel like it was weighing me down (wow, I am weird if I think a simple 2 oz watch will weigh me down) and I'm of the cell phone era. So I guess I'm just an oddity. Not that I care or anything, it's kinda funny.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #204 on: 15 Oct 2010, 10:56 »

Raoul I believe you are mistaken - the English language is EXTREMELY successful at beating other languages up and taking what it wants - witness such commonplace terms as "Thug".  English being the unholy mating of a Latin-based language and a germanic based language it is somewhat understandable that it may still have a few issues to work through, but with love, patience and a little extra work...
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!
« Reply #205 on: 15 Oct 2010, 11:53 »

I think Angus is having a religious experience. But... A slightly feeble end of the week strip?

Would you expect better from Angus McPheeble?  :|

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #206 on: 15 Oct 2010, 12:22 »

Left hand facing out, and the watch face lights up so I can tell the time when I wake up in an absolute panic in the dark.  I'm too nearsighted to see the alarm clock. 

This is actually unususal since I'm left handed. 

Except for writing, which is why it's totally illegible. 

No, it's not digital.  I collect actual wind-up clocks, it's bad enough I can't afford a winding watch that would last.  I miss the watch I had with an accurate moon-phase - I still have it, but it's unreparable. 

BunnyThor, this is for you;

And I agree with Jerein, this really shouldn't be such a one-sisded experience, although Faye was  somewhat flushed at first.  I think that's why I agree, the reversed version is better! 

Someone mail that to Jeph, will you? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

zadojla

• Emoticontraindication
  • Yes, it's a wombat.
« Reply #207 on: 15 Oct 2010, 13:15 »

Raoul I believe you are mistaken - the English language is EXTREMELY successful at beating other languages up and taking what it wants - witness such commonplace terms as "Thug".  English being the unholy mating of a Latin-based language and a germanic based language it is somewhat understandable that it may still have a few issues to work through, but with love, patience and a little extra work...
Sometimes English doesn't have to take.  If you've ever worked with South Asian people with imperfect English, you would learn all kinds of expressions you never learned in school.  My favorite is the opposite of "postpone" - "prepone" meaning to perform a task ahead of schedule.
How do I get one of those brooms?

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #208 on: 15 Oct 2010, 15:57 »

If you live in the U.S., you don't have to travel nearly that far to find people who speak imperfect English, or to hear them use invented words you'll never hear in school.

And Border, I simply meant English isn't always the best at the assimilation part. Does make for really intense spelling bees, though.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Team Venture

• Not quite a lurker
  • octopuses, octopi, and octopodes
« Reply #209 on: 15 Oct 2010, 16:25 »

I don't see what's so hot about just putting your hands on her boobs.  A huge part of my enjoyment about touching a girl's breasts is bringing her pleasure at doing so, and there's nothing really pleasurable about just putting your hands lightly there.  C'mon Angus, you're in a back alley, knead those suckers!

No! No kneading, for the love of god. Nothing more uncomfortable than a guy kneading your boobs. God, the bad memories (or should I say mammories - ba dum psh!). It's not pleasurable, it feels a friggin' breast exam or something. They're delicate, okay? Although to be fair, it may just be me who hates it (any other girls want to weigh in?).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #210 on: 15 Oct 2010, 16:34 »

If you live in the U.S., you don't have to travel nearly that far to find people who speak imperfect English, or to hear them use invented words you'll never hear in school.

Yah dere hey, ain'a?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #211 on: 15 Oct 2010, 16:45 »

Unless you fence sabre, wouldn't your watch be safer under the cuff of your glove?

Left wrist for me, except for several years when I wore a watch that hung from my belt.  It was "upside down" so if you were sitting all you had to do was glance down to see the time, no hands involved.  When I was a kid, all New York City bus drivers had watches like that.  Alas, I am now too corpulent.

And, for you less-young folks, have you ever encountered young people who cannot read an analog clock face?  Or are flummoxed when you give them the time as "a quarter to..."?

I mostly fenced epee and foil, and the problem with putting it under your glove is that it will still raise as a bump for a tip to catch on.  Well, at least with my watch, which has a metal band.  I suppose a thinner leather or resin band might be better in that respect, although if I wore it conventionally with the face outwards, then you'd have to worry about the tip catching on the body.

As for people unable to read an analog clock face, I've met a few, but most of them were tolerably old, as in twenty to thirty year-olds.

as i understand it, infantry soldiers wear it like that to avoid night flashes off the reflective surface of the face.

also, one would think that it would be a good idea to take the watch off entirely for fencing.

A surprising number of the places I fenced didn't have ready access to timepieces, so if you wanted to know what time it was, you'd have to ask someone who kept their watch, or be forever running back to your gear to check on the time.  Your offhand is generally fairly safe, at least when it comes to formal fencing.  Now, if you do SCA or Ampguard style fighting, it's a completely different story...

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #212 on: 15 Oct 2010, 17:07 »

Random trivia: in France, for some reason, the practice of wearing a watch with the display inside is strongly associated with nurses. It probably has some basis in reality, because if you think about it, it's convenient for checking a patient's pulse using just one hand.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2010, 17:10 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #213 on: 15 Oct 2010, 21:12 »

Left wrist for the watch, and the face on the inside of the wrist. Don't ask me why I do that, because I actually can't remember. And if possible, the watch comes off for serious typing.
I wear a wristwatch, on the left wrist, with the face on the outside. I've never thought of wearing a watch on the inside of the wrist as "girly", and indeed I don't think I've ever met a female who did wear her watch that way. I do own more than one watch, to suit different outfits, which is probably more common among girls. Like Raoul, I take my watch off to work at a computer, because the buckle/clasp scrapes and catches on the edge of the desk.

I suspect the idea that "young people" can't read analogue clock dials (or would be puzzled by a wristwatch) is just an ephebophobic urban legend. Dial clocks are still pretty common, and the toy-shops here are all well-stocked with those teaching-clocks on which we probably all learned to tell time. One thing I do find irritating is people who can't (or at least won't) understand time in 24-hour format. Twelve-hour format is fine for everyday, casual use, but not when scheduling events across multiple countries, in several time-zones, with various daylight-saving rules, in hemispheres with reversed seasons so that daylight-saving-time changes go in opposite directions. Frankly, I'd prefer to use a single fixed time reference like Zulu time, so everyone only has to worry about their own single local offset, but no... Instead I'd get e-mails from colleagues in America telling me that some system was going down for maintenance at "12pm EST". In July. And they'd get all butt-hurt when I replied asking: "Do you really mean EST, or would that be EDT seeing as it's your summer? And by the way, is that 12pm noon or midnight?" I mean OK, some of these systems only processed transactions worth millions of dollars an hour, and kept factories running (and workers in jobs) on five continents, so it's not like they were important or anything! EEE-HAH EEE-HAH! No, I'm not bitter! But I don't work for that branch of Global Despoilation Inc. any more either.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #214 on: 15 Oct 2010, 22:07 »

Breathe, Akima, breathe...

In throught the nose...

And out the mouth...

Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #215 on: 15 Oct 2010, 22:56 »

I suspect the idea that "young people" can't read analogue clock dials (or would be puzzled by a wristwatch) is just an ephebophobic urban legend. Dial clocks are still pretty common, and the toy-shops here are all well-stocked with those teaching-clocks on which we probably all learned to tell time.

Think that all you like, but it's true. Certainly not for all 'young people,' but for some, yes. Colleagues of mine report that when the local high (secondary) school's schedule is disrupted in any way, some students students get completely disoriented. If, for example, a 'pep-rally' (if you don't know what this is, you ain't missing much) is scheduled in the middle of the day instead of at the end as is usual, at every bell that rings after the disruption these students express the joyous belief* that it's time to go home, despite the fact that every room and most of the hallways are fitted with large, analog clocks, and they're well aware it's not a 'short' day. Of course, cell phones are banned at this school, which may be part of the problem.

I'll hazard a guess that with some, the real problem is that a glance at an analog clock yields no information—concentrated study is required, since they rarely use the skill. But there are others who have little to no sense of time, period. Friends and I call them 'the timeless people.' If you've hired one of them to do some yardwork, etc., it's well to know this, as 'show up at four' is not likely to produce good results. "Come by right after school" works better. Summers can be trying.

*No, they're not just playing the odds that the teacher will buy it.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2010, 23:00 by raoullefere »

akronnick

« Reply #216 on: 15 Oct 2010, 23:11 »

These kids today with their boogie-woogie music and their digital watches...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #217 on: 15 Oct 2010, 23:41 »

I no longer wear a watch simply because in recent years I have found my wrist gets irritated and itchy regardless what type of strap I use.  I've gotten used to using my mobile whenever I want to know what time it is.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #218 on: 15 Oct 2010, 23:41 »

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

-- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

akronnick

« Reply #219 on: 16 Oct 2010, 00:00 »

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

-- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Claim your internet, sir!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #220 on: 16 Oct 2010, 00:05 »

Why, thank you! 

No! No kneading, for the love of god. Nothing more uncomfortable than a guy kneading your boobs. God, the bad memories (or should I say mammories - ba dum psh!). It's not pleasurable, it feels a friggin' breast exam or something. They're delicate, okay? Although to be fair, it may just be me who hates it (any other girls want to weigh in?).

Not a girl (last I checked), but I'll weigh in. 

No kneading.  Doesn't seem like it's be comfortable.  Stroking, yes; perhaps tracing intricate designs with the tips of one's fingernails; or a few other gentler things that will be left to your imagination...

but kneading is to fondling like motorboating is to a well-placed kiss - it's overkill, and at best breaks the mood. 

So is this second base

zadojla

• Emoticontraindication
  • Yes, it's a wombat.
« Reply #221 on: 16 Oct 2010, 00:14 »

One thing I do find irritating is people who can't (or at least won't) understand time in 24-hour format. Twelve-hour format is fine for everyday, casual use, but not when scheduling events across multiple countries, in several time-zones, with various daylight-saving rules, in hemispheres with reversed seasons so that daylight-saving-time changes go in opposite directions. Frankly, I'd prefer to use a single fixed time reference like Zulu time, so everyone only has to worry about their own single local offset, but no... Instead I'd get e-mails from colleagues in America telling me that some system was going down for maintenance at "12pm EST". In July. And they'd get all butt-hurt when I replied asking: "Do you really mean EST, or would that be EDT seeing as it's your summer? And by the way, is that 12pm noon or midnight?" I mean OK, some of these systems only processed transactions worth millions of dollars an hour, and kept factories running (and workers in jobs) on five continents, so it's not like they were important or anything!

I work for a global company that standardizes to US Eastern Time because that is where the corporate headquarters and primary data center are.  I gave up the EDT / EST battle long ago, and just use ET.  I am stubborn and surly about distinguishing between 12 PM (=noon) and 12 AM (=midnight). 

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #222 on: 16 Oct 2010, 00:18 »

I suspect the idea that "young people" can't read analogue clock dials (or would be puzzled by a wristwatch) is just an ephebophobic urban legend. Dial clocks are still pretty common, and the toy-shops here are all well-stocked with those teaching-clocks on which we probably all learned to tell time. One thing I do find irritating is people who can't (or at least won't) understand time in 24-hour format. Twelve-hour format is fine for everyday, casual use, but not when scheduling events across multiple countries, in several time-zones, with various daylight-saving rules, in hemispheres with reversed seasons so that daylight-saving-time changes go in opposite directions. Frankly, I'd prefer to use a single fixed time reference like Zulu time, so everyone only has to worry about their own single local offset, but no... Instead I'd get e-mails from colleagues in America telling me that some system was going down for maintenance at "12pm EST". In July. And they'd get all butt-hurt when I replied asking: "Do you really mean EST, or would that be EDT seeing as it's your summer? And by the way, is that 12pm noon or midnight?" I mean OK, some of these systems only processed transactions worth millions of dollars an hour, and kept factories running (and workers in jobs) on five continents, so it's not like they were important or anything! EEE-HAH EEE-HAH! No, I'm not bitter! But I don't work for that branch of Global Despoilation Inc. any more either.

I don't know; born in the late eighties, I can certainly read a mechanical clock, but it takes me tens of seconds, as opposed to the moment it takes me to read a digital readout, and I find occasionally that when I've looked too quickly, I've been wrong, either because of the "write red in green" effect of the numbers or by confusing the hands.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #223 on: 16 Oct 2010, 01:08 »

...because of the "write red in green" effect of the numbers...

Sorry, what's this effect? 

akronnick

« Reply #224 on: 16 Oct 2010, 01:21 »

Sorry, what's this effect? 

Quick, what color is this word?

GREEN

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #225 on: 16 Oct 2010, 02:22 »

I have to say that I am dumbfounded by the idea that a significant number of people are growing up unable to read a clockface.  It had never occurred to me as a possibility, as analogue clocks are so ubiquitous (and indeed can be read much quicker in most circumstances than digital ones). 

Is this a US phenomenon, or worldwide?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #226 on: 16 Oct 2010, 04:47 »

I've seen the inability to read analog very occasionally here in the U.S. A somewhat related phenomenon (if also rare) is the inability to translate approximate times. It's always 9:43, not "a quarter 'til ten".
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #227 on: 16 Oct 2010, 04:51 »

Random trivia: in France, for some reason, the practice of wearing a watch with the display inside is strongly associated with nurses. It probably has some basis in reality, because if you think about it, it's convenient for checking a patient's pulse using just one hand.

funny thing - in the UK, nurses wear watches with upside-down faces on a strap from their left breast pocket. That way from their perspective all they need to do is look down.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Jerein

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #228 on: 16 Oct 2010, 06:58 »

I don't mean kneading in the breast exam fashion.  My wording was poor.  I mean fondling.  Caressing.  Some sort of action instead of just mere hand placement.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #229 on: 16 Oct 2010, 07:17 »

I have to say that I am dumbfounded by the idea that a significant number of people are growing up unable to read a clockface.  It had never occurred to me as a possibility, as analogue clocks are so ubiquitous (and indeed can be read much quicker in most circumstances than digital ones). 

Is this a US phenomenon, or worldwide?

I'm from the Continent, and we've NEVER heard of it.
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #230 on: 16 Oct 2010, 07:43 »

Let's dig into this a bit more.

While back in the '80's (the time Douglas Adams phrased his statement), digital watches were fairly popular. These days, they're considered quite out of style - at least here.
On top of that, as Paul points out, it is much easier to quickly read the time (or any other value) from an analog dial than from a digital readout.

Anecdote:
Decades ago, I got into an army helicopter to take some photographs of camouflaged tanks from above. In the cockpit, there was a cluster of something like 15 dials grouped together. From the manufacturer names and the numbers on the dials, you could see that they were all in at some odd angle... as if someone had put them in, but hadn't bothered about the correct orientation. I made a remark of this, to which the pilot said "that's done on purpose... under normal flight conditions, all the needles should point upward. So, if something is wrong, you can see it in one quick glance."

Imagine having to read several digital readouts...
That is also why I firmly believe that analog clock faces on a car dashboard are a much better idea.

I can see how, in a society where, in primary school, digital timepieces are the norm, children could have trouble reading the time on a conventional clock.

Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #231 on: 16 Oct 2010, 09:44 »

There's a condition called dyscalculia (compare with dyslexia) where people are unable to do the mental calculations necessary to do things like count change or read a clock for variaous reasons (brain damage or development issues, or genetics can all be involved). 

However, like counting change, reading an analog clock requires practice.  It also probably requires you to learn how to do it at an early enough age that it becomes second nature. 

You know, like learning your times tables.  Another thing no one does because they don't need to...

osidiusxemphatic

« Reply #232 on: 16 Oct 2010, 11:10 »

I'll just leave this here...

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #233 on: 16 Oct 2010, 11:13 »

Wait a sec, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I said that quickly reading the time on a traditional dial (as "in a glance", or "faster than it takes to read four numbers and interpret them") was easier than reading the time on a digital watch. I did not factor in that you have to learn it first... sorry Carl.

edit: and this was a response to Carl-E, not to the hydropneumatic squeezotron above. :D
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2010, 11:14 by peterh »

Millennium

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #234 on: 16 Oct 2010, 11:36 »

Another way to go: learn massage. Many colleges, including community colleges, have a class that teaches the basics in a semester, and although the law doesn't let them cover this exact topic, the principles are easy to apply once you know them. These things are held up by muscles. Those muscles can get tired and sore, especially for the well-endowed, but it's not really possible to put the weight down. Learn how to relieve this, and watch your skillz level up like mad.

Better yet, both of you can take the class as a series of dates. This will give you a whole new appreciation for the concept of homework. :D

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #235 on: 16 Oct 2010, 14:28 »

I have to say that I am dumbfounded by the idea that a significant number of people are growing up unable to read a clockface.  It had never occurred to me as a possibility, as analogue clocks are so ubiquitous (and indeed can be read much quicker in most circumstances than digital ones).
Yeah, I'm sceptical too. It sounds to me like one of those "Dang kids today!" type things. Of course there will always be those who have difficulty learning to do anything, but otherwise? I'm in my twenties, and I'm forever amazed by all the things that, for example, conservative newspaper* columnists tell me "my generation" can't do, with which my friends, co-workers, and I have no difficulty at all.

*Yeah, that's right, I read print media! OMG! And I learned my multiplication tables too!
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2010, 14:35 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #236 on: 16 Oct 2010, 15:14 »

I'm in my twenties

My mind, it is shattered.
I would have *sworn* you were at least twice as mature.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #237 on: 16 Oct 2010, 15:37 »

I would have *sworn* you were at least twice as mature.
Should I be flattered or insulted? :lol:  Perhaps my Chinese self is flattered, but my Australian insulted... I sometimes imagine myself as a cartoon character with miniature versions of myself perched on my shoulders, but instead of being dressed as an angel and a devil, one is in a tee-shirt and jeans, and the other wearing a qipao.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2010, 15:49 by Akima »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #238 on: 16 Oct 2010, 15:45 »

People in their 20s are adults, and should be treated as mature.  People in their 60s, like me, have typically more experience of life; however, I believe it is important to realise that experience is not in itself wisdom.  Wisdom is perhaps more to do with the ability to make appropriate use of experience - and can potentially be found at almost any age.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2010, 15:47 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

zadojla

• Emoticontraindication
  • Yes, it's a wombat.
« Reply #239 on: 16 Oct 2010, 15:46 »

*Yeah, that's right, I read print media! OMG! And I learned my multiplication tables too!
Yes, my daughter is 22 and she and her friends know their multiplication tables, read print media (she has hundreds of books), and send text messages that are capitalized, grammatical, and punctuated properly.

I have also worked with a 19-year-old college student who could not read an analog clock face (a 25-year-old co-worker taught him).  Even worse, last night I was in a store, and a young sales clerk informed me the goods were "60%".  I inquired if they were "60%" or "60% off" and got a blank stare.  So I asked, "If the price were $100 dollars, would I pay $60 or $40?" and she said "I'm not a mathematician."  I had to hold my tongue at that point.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #240 on: 16 Oct 2010, 15:50 »

That is for you to decide. But I like you.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #241 on: 16 Oct 2010, 15:51 »

People in their 20s are adults, and should be treated as mature.  People in their 60s, like me, have typically more experience of life; however, I believe it is important to realise that experience is not in itself wisdom.  Wisdom is perhaps more to do with the ability to make appropriate use of experience - and can potentially be found at almost any age.
Wisdom is the application of intelligence to experience.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #242 on: 16 Oct 2010, 15:52 »

Yeah...I grew up with mobile telephony and I send correctly spelled and punctuated SMS missives. It''s my parents that use txt-spk.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #243 on: 16 Oct 2010, 15:59 »

Wisdom is the application of intelligence to experience.

I'll go with that.  But remember that with age, as well as experience increasing, intelligence commonly falls off in some respects; I do not believe that I could now do again the programming I was doing in my 20s, for instance.  So it is not fair to assume (or imply) a simple superiority of age over youth, any more than it is to worship youth for its own sake.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #244 on: 16 Oct 2010, 16:03 »

she said "I'm not a mathematician."

I remember trying to explain to a supermarket manager the inherent absurdity of selling fire alarms for £3.99 each, £7.99 for a 2-pack, or £12.99 for a 3-pack.  I got nowhere.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #245 on: 16 Oct 2010, 16:04 »

Yeah, I'm sceptical too. It sounds to me like one of those "Dang kids today!" type things. Of course there will always be those who have difficulty learning to do anything, but otherwise? I'm in my twenties, and I'm forever amazed by all the things that, for example, conservative newspaper* columnists tell me "my generation" can't do, with which my friends, co-workers, and I have no difficulty at all.

I'm sure you can. And there are certainly numerous young people in my neck of the woods who can, too. But what I really see in this statement is you attempting to preserve a cake intact whilst stuffing a chunk of it in your gob. "Of course there will always be those who have difficulty learning to do anything," means, by definition, this condition exists. Furthermore, if they have such difficulty, and the simpler means (even if it 'takes longer') of rattling off the numbers on a digital display exists, it stands to reason which way they will go. After all, that only requires numbers be learned, killing two 'learning birds' with one stone. (This is the approach taken, apparently, by some Special Ed teachers)

One thing I find that some folks on the 'nets, particularly in as educated, erudite a crowd as seems to be present on this forum, is a lack of understanding that there exists those who will not learn if they are not made to, no matter their actual capability. These folks have always been with us, and may always be. There are various reasons for this, some cultural, some religious (if you prefer not to lump that in with cultural), some from apathy, and some for a variety of reasons that vary wildly from person to person. If we could ever find a way to encourage everyone to use the brain their body has made so many sacrifices to support and to rejoice in the use, I suspect we'd be at least a little closer to some of these utopias we see from time to time in fiction.

Or, of course, it could be hell on earth.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #246 on: 16 Oct 2010, 16:05 »

Most utopias have turned out that way.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #247 on: 16 Oct 2010, 16:53 »

But what I really see in this statement is you attempting to preserve a cake intact whilst stuffing a chunk of it in your gob. "Of course there will always be those who have difficulty learning to do anything," means, by definition, this condition exists.
I take your point, but what I was objecting to was the implication that age, or generation, was the key factor. I'd say that failure to learn something is determined by a combination of ability and motivation, rather than the decade in which one was born. The idea that "today's youth" is somehow stupider or lazier than the commentator's generation at the same age is a classic "Dang kids!" reaction.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2010, 16:56 by Akima »

zadojla

• Emoticontraindication
  • Yes, it's a wombat.
« Reply #248 on: 16 Oct 2010, 17:25 »

I remember trying to explain to a supermarket manager the inherent absurdity of selling fire alarms for £3.99 each, £7.99 for a 2-pack, or £12.99 for a 3-pack.  I got nowhere.

I used to work for a supermarket chain (now-defunct Grand Union, for those in the NE USA).  That is a supermarket trick, deliberately done.  Most people assume that the price-per-unit improves as the size of the package increases.  Not true at all; usually the second-largest package has the best price-per-unit.  They assume most people have neither the skill nor will to actually calculate it for themselves.

That is for you to decide...

I live in Texas.  Anyone can carry a gun.  Best be polite.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #249 on: 16 Oct 2010, 17:35 »

And then there are those young'uns (plus those trying to pass as younger than they are) who seem to make a point of spelling like shit when communicating on the Internet. I try to explain to them that it's a lack of respect for those who'll try to read their prose. I try to talk to them about the Netiquette (yes, I'm old enough to know this word). But my ultimate impression is that they spell like shit on the Internet because "all the cool kids do it!"

And as a disclaimer: out of experience, I'm able to make the difference (at least in French and English) between dyslectic people and people who don't give a shit or even use deliberately bad spelling. Come to think of it, I wonder how the former view the latter. I suspect they might find them offensive.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up